Wikipedia Sucks email spam

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Wikipedia Sucks email spam

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:19 am

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:14 am
Vigilant wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:08 am
Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:59 am
rnu wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:45 pm
Sucks is back up.
I checked yesterday evening and today, and all I get is a 403 error.
Did they block your IP?
Not as far as I know, at least it wasn't blocked immediately prior to the site going down. I suppose it might be a UK IP thing, if the site's not set up properly.*

*Just checked with a VPN, and yes, it's my IP and not just the UK - UK VPN IPs seem fine. My registration there is fine, and not banned, blocked or anything - it's just the IP. Oh well.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Ognistysztorm
Critic
Actual Name: Ogden (they/them)

Unread post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:12 am

bbb23sucks wrote:The hype train just got back from repairs, and it's chugging' faster than ever!

And it's all set to go into the Guinness Book of Records for the user with the most sockpuppets on Wikipedia ever! :popcorn:

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:15 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:12 am
bbb23sucks wrote:The hype train just got back from repairs, and it's chugging' faster than ever!

And it's all set to go into the Guinness Book of Records for the user with the most sockpuppets on Wikipedia ever! :popcorn:
kindly confine wikipedia sucks activities to wikipedia sucks, please.
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:50 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:

Nobody cares

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:53 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:
All I see is text saying "image" but no image. What am I missing here?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 pm

owl be it wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:50 pm
Ognistysztorm wrote:

Nobody cares
It's the cringiest, neediest, clingiest shit.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

ScotFinnRadish
Regular
Wikipedia User: ScottishFinnishRadish
Actual Name: Stephen Root Vegetable

Unread post by ScotFinnRadish » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:25 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:53 pm
Ognistysztorm wrote:
It's a picture of all the fucks we give.

Lyallpuri
Critic

Unread post by Lyallpuri » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:53 pm
Ognistysztorm wrote:
They attempted to embed an image from Sucks into the post, specifically whatever this might be, but attempting to access the page without being authenticated at Sucks results in the error message "You are not authorised to download this attachment", hence the failure to display it as an image here. (I suspect "Image" is simply the default alt-text in phpBB.)

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:18 pm

Lyallpuri wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:50 pm
They attempted to embed an image from Sucks into the post, specifically whatever this might be, but attempting to access the page without being authenticated at Sucks results in the error message "You are not authorised to download this attachment", hence the failure to display it as an image here. (I suspect "Image" is simply the default alt-text in phpBB.)
This is indeed correct. Those of us who sadly lack WikipediaSucks accounts may never really know what the substitution-word "Image" represents in this case, but personally, I'd prefer to think of it as an exhortation to imagine what a chugging hype train might look like, rolling down the tracks into oblivion, history, or maybe just a kind of bizarre proto-mythology that no one will ever truly understand, even though we know intuitively that it's true meaning is a warning, a frightening harbinger of an unbearable heaviness that will ultimately descend upon us and crush us all beneath its vast weight of blubbery fatness.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:15 am

Based on my sampling, all of those were created on 11 January. I wonder if they have a way of detecting them when they are created or if they are just blocking them after they've sent emails? I would guess the latter, but they have to be working on something - this isn't sustainable for the WMF.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:49 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:15 am
... but they [WMF] have to be working on something - this isn't sustainable for the WMF.
Touché!

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:18 pm

Bbb23sucks got his protonmail account suspended. (Warning: link to sucks. Make sure your rabies shots are up to date and use precautions.)
Bbb23sucks wrote:So my Proton Mail account was suspended, and when I asked why, they said it was from an anonymous complaint (I'm sure you can guess who sent that). Not only will they not restore my account, they won't even let me download my emails.
Bbb23sucks wrote:I have never even used it on Wikipedia. The only place I put publicly was my signature here, and a few days later it was suspended. These people are straight up psychos.
:tinyviolin:
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)