Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:50 am
Elinruby wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:16 pm
Midsize Jake wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:56 pm
casualdejekyll wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:01 am
My favorite is Fear of Music (T-H-L).
Mine too, and it's the most on-topic Talking Heads album for Wikipediocracy purposes too, since it has the songs "Mind," "Paper," and "Memories Can't Wait" on it.
"Life During Wartime"
Transmit the message to the receiver
Hope for an answer someday
I got three passports, a couple of visas
You don't even know my real name
Exactly
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no fooling around

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Naive ideas to improve en-wp

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:14 am

what good are notebooks?
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:36 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:44 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:
casualdejekyll wrote:
Mine too, and it's the most on-topic Talking Heads album for Wikipediocracy purposes too, since it has the songs "Mind," "Paper," and "Memories Can't Wait" on it.
"Life During Wartime"
Exactly
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no Mudd Club,
Or CBGB,
I ain't got time for that now

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm

WPO's official answer to the best way to improve en-wp seems to be to gather all the troupes around the dumpster fire, toast wikipedes, and chant Kumbaya war ditties.
David Byrne wrote:Heard of a van that's loaded with weapons
Packed up and ready to go.
🎤 :letsgetdrunk:

I see nobody™ has dared mess with KoA's page on Monsanto's legal woes, though. Can't say that I blame them, really. :rolleyes:
David Byrne wrote:Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway
A place where nobody knows
:whistle:
los auberginos

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:42 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:36 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:44 am
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:
casualdejekyll wrote:
"Life During Wartime"
Exactly
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no Mudd Club,
Or CBGB,
I ain't got time for that now
:like:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:46 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm
WPO's official answer to the best way to improve en-wp seems to be to gather all the troupes around the dumpster fire, toast wikipedes, and chant Kumbaya war ditties.
David Byrne wrote:Heard of a van that's loaded with weapons
Packed up and ready to go.
🎤 :letsgetdrunk:

I see nobody™ has dared mess with KoA's page on Monsanto's legal woes, though. Can't say that I blame them, really. :rolleyes:
David Byrne wrote:Heard of some gravesites, out by the highway
A place where nobody knows
:whistle:
I am in enough trouble with the debate about arithmetic at Talk:Russian invasion of Ukraine (T-H-L).

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:59 pm

Just saw this link and felt it belonged here

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:50 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:59 pm
Just saw this link and felt it belonged here
seems to apply:
And you may ask yourself, "Am I right, am I wrong?"
And you may say to yourself, "My God, what have I done?"

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:35 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:36 pm
Well, that's hardly an "official answer," as the whole website is filled with ideas to improve WP. I suppose it's useful to collect people's favorite/highest-priority policy changes and reform initiatives in one thread now and again, but it's probably inevitable that such threads will devolve into everyone just chiming in on what their favorite Talking Heads album is, because ultimately it's still just a website. It's actually emblematic of why you can't — or shouldn't — allow web-based entities to attain high levels of authoritativeness, especially as society's complexity only increases over time. (Unfortunately, I can't really explain why it's emblematic because I myself am too opinionated on which of their albums is the #1.)

Anyway, it's probably time to start thinking about splitting the thread, maybe later today or tomorrow.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:48 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:35 pm
Anyway, it's probably time to start thinking about splitting the thread, maybe later today or tomorrow.
Thanks Jake. I have no interest in Talking Heads, so that would be much appreciated.

As an aside, I've been tempted to request this for a while, but as a WPO newcomer I feared the request would just get ignored or mocked.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:00 am

I apologize for the part I played in derailing your thread.

As an effort to make amends, allow me to bring you a naive idea that so will never happen: en-wp should ban the use of Twinkle and more broadly, maybe even the use of revert altogether. It's too easy to be uncivil while using them. Since I can hear the howls of outrage beginning already, fine, maybe it can be used in cases of obvious vandalism or where a sock has already been blocked.

But it's just automated incivility. Change my mind :blink: There ya go. Consider me a cat that has brought you a dead mouse because I kinda like you

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:03 am

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:00 am

As an effort to make amends, allow me to bring you a naive idea that so will never happen: en-wp should ban the use of Twinkle and more broadly, maybe even the use of revert altogether. It's too easy to be uncivil while using them. Since I can hear the howls of outrage beginning already, fine, maybe it can be used in cases of obvious vandalism or where a sock has already been blocked.

But it's just automated incivility. Change my mind :blink: There ya go. Consider me a cat that has brought you a dead mouse because I kinda like you

Does Twinkle facilitate incivility? I seem to manage well enough without it. :evilgrin:

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 am

Elinruby wrote:

I can see the argument for banning semi-auto editing in a number of situations (especially with regards to article creation, etc.) but I think removing Twinkle would be a net negative. It would be great if a lot of Wikipedia's functions were more automated or more streamlined, but they aren't, and Twinkle saves so much time having to remember what log to pull up to log what close, etc.

I do think you have a point that it discourages discussion in the article space and encourages edit-warring rather than discussion, though.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:49 pm

Elinruby wrote:

Thanks for the semi-mutilated rodent, it's the thought that counts :D

I agree that reverting is often misused (regardless of whether Twinkle is involved or not). Perhaps a method to reduce the problem would be to require a Talk Page post before each revert. Not just a barrier to entry, it also forces people to justify their action and engage in discussion (rather than snarky back-and-forth Edit Summaries)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:58 pm

Mojito wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:49 pm
Elinruby wrote:

Thanks for the semi-mutilated rodent, it's the thought that counts :D

I agree that reverting is often misused (regardless of whether Twinkle is involved or not). Perhaps a method to reduce the problem would be to require a Talk Page post before each revert. Not just a barrier to entry, it also forces people to justify their action and engage in discussion (rather than snarky back-and-forth Edit Summaries)
Just remember, a cat that brings you a dead mouse is telling you that it cares about you :XD. Seriously, I would vote for that proposal if I saw an RFC for it, but I very much doubt that the RfC. would pass. It's a dopamine hack for some people to do a lot of things really fast, and the way that en-wp keeps statistics encourages this. I also mentioned this idea to a couple of en-wp users -- not particularly revert-happy, as these things go -- who were horrified. Perhaps at the thought that I would actually propose this and annoy some more power users, not sure, but it definitely seems to meet your criterion of naivete,.

I agree that the fundamental problem is the attitude and not Twinkle itself, but Twinkle automates the attitude and makes it seem acceptable, since hey, here's a whole tool for acting in a certain way, that most likely exacerbates the strife on Wikipedia, if you ask me. I almost never revert anyone but I notice that when I do people tend to want to argue about it, and it affects me the same way., definitely more so than deletions or ,modifications discussed at the talk page,.

Similarly, machine translation makes possible much faster translation errors, which are also harder to detect than the simple typos that a manual translation would be more likely to produce. I get that machine translation thing, is easier, don't get me wrong; manual translation can be very tedious. I have just spent way too much time working on it. and it's especially tedious to fix other people's bad translation. (A lot of my ideas have to do with article translations since I reluctantly quit doing them -- mostly--although I do have several in progress just now)

+1 that posting to the talk page is better than making snarky edit summaries, although some admins seem to disagree.that using the talk page is a good thing.
If I were looking for easy answers I would say that it all depends.

(edited to remove a typo)
Last edited by Zoloft on Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tab

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:30 pm

I feel like Twinkle is being portrayed here as a tool for nothing but reverting. It does a lot more than that, and even more if you are an admin. It is simply a tool that helps insure all steps are followed, and a library of common templates. If it is being used wrongly, the problem is with the user, not the tool.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:30 pm
I feel like Twinkle is being portrayed here as a tool for nothing but reverting. It does a lot more than that, and even more if you are an admin. It is simply a tool that helps insure all steps are followed, and a library of common templates. If it is being used wrongly, the problem is with the user, not the tool.
Meh. In one sense you are perfectly correct, but in an arena where most people learn mostly by trial and error, Twinkle can highlight some of the problems with that approach.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Twinkle does a lot of things that the Wikimedia software ought to be doing. You want to nominate an article for deletion? No problem - first, you put a template on the page. Then you create the discussion page. Then you edit another page to add the page you just created, And if you don't do this regularly, you probably don't remember which templates to use and which pages to edit so you have to look it up, which means you have to wade through pages about deletion until you find the actual instructions, Or, you use Twinkle which does all that for you.

The WMF developers should be embarrassed that it's 2023 and the Wikipedia interface still relies on manual procedures from 20 years ago to do a lot of very routine things.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:09 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Twinkle does a lot of things that the Wikimedia software ought to be doing. You want to nominate an article for deletion? No problem - first, you put a template on the page. Then you create the discussion page. Then you edit another page to add the page you just created, And if you don't do this regularly, you probably don't remember which templates to use and which pages to edit so you have to look it up, which means you have to wade through pages about deletion until you find the actual instructions, Or, you use Twinkle which does all that for you.

The WMF developers should be embarrassed that it's 2023 and the Wikipedia interface still relies on manual procedures from 20 years ago to do a lot of very routine things.
I once remembering hearing a complaint (I think it was from a member of the ARS), that the deletion functionality on Twinkle was bad because it made it too easy to nominate articles for deletion, lol. I agree that the stuff twinkle provides should in most cases be a basic functionality of the UI, but of course the WMF cares basically nothing for improving the user interface or functionality of its desktop and mobile apps.
Last edited by Hemiauchenia on Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:20 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Meh. In one sense you are perfectly correct, but in an arena where most people learn mostly by trial and error, Twinkle can highlight some of the problems with that approach.
:like:

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:22 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:09 pm

I once remembering hearding a complaint (I think it was from a member of the ARS), that the deletion functionality on Twinkle was bad because it made it too easy to nominate articles for deletion, lol. I agree that the stuff twinkle provides should in most cases be a basic functionality of the UI, but of course the WMF cares basically nothing for improving the user interface or functionality of its desktop and mobile apps.
:like: OF COURSE

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:09 am

Several recent episodes have led me to believe that sockpuppetry is very embedded into how Wikipedia works.

Hypothetically, if it could be eradicated (after an amnesty period for the good editors to declare their socks :evilgrin:), would this be beneficial? Or is it pointless since people can use their IP address anyway?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:16 am

Mojito wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:09 am
Several recent episodes have led me to believe that sockpuppetry is very embedded into how Wikipedia works.

Hypothetically, if it could be eradicated (after an amnesty period for the good editors to declare their socks :evilgrin:), would this be beneficial? Or is it pointless since people can use their IP address anyway?
This assumes that the IP is not static. That's a quibble though, and this is a good question

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:18 am

You know what would definitely improve wikipedia though? see password functionality

DPatrick
Banned
Actual Name: (((David))) the NPC

Unread post by DPatrick » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:48 pm

I don't see why anyone would ever bother trying to improve en-wp. I tried my best, and I even made an update to a policy that looks like it stuck. Now I'm banned on false pretenses because I followed instructions to report someone who wasn't behaving in line with the existing policies.

Wikipedia teaches us the hard way, if you try to help in good faith some pedophile-defender like Phlomathes and his corrupt friends will beat you up for trying.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:57 pm

DPatrick wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:48 pm
I don't see why anyone would ever bother trying to improve en-wp. I tried my best, and I even made an update to a policy that looks like it stuck. Now I'm banned on false pretenses because I followed instructions to report someone who wasn't behaving in line with the existing policies.

Wikipedia teaches us the hard way, if you try to help in good faith some pedophile-defender like Phlomathes [sic] and his corrupt friends will beat you up for trying.
You are banned because you relentlessly sock in every discussion Philomathes participates in, which accomplishes nothing. As much as I don't like Philomathes, you are arguably more unreasonable.

DPatrick
Banned

Unread post by DPatrick » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:00 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:57 pm
DPatrick wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:48 pm

Wikipedia teaches us the hard way, if you try to help in good faith some pedophile-defender like Phlomathes [sic] and his corrupt friends will beat you up for trying.
You are banned because you relentlessly sock in every discussion Philomathes participates in, which accomplishes nothing. As much as I don't like Philomathes, you are arguably more unreasonable.
I never socked. I didn't know who Philomathes was until I saw something in the reliable sources noticeboard, and I wish I never had. What's unreasonable is the false accusations that anyone who ever thinks Philomathes is out of line is a sock. It plays right into Philomathes's "good cop bad cop" tactic with his own obvious sockpuppets. He obviously created "Stalinist57" last night.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:38 pm

Mojito wrote:

This feels like gun buybacks. They were a big thing in the US twenty or so yeasrs ago, then we saw that doing them did absolutely nothing to deter mass shootings. And actual criminals sold any broken or unwanted guns they had piled up. People who get some weird thrill out of spending years of their lives creating fake personas on an encyclopdia website aren't going to go for it. Actual mentally ill people who, for example, walk down a city street taking pictures of random traffic and uploading them again and again and again to a website that keeps blocking them for doing exactly that aren't going to go for it.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:11 pm

I think the majority view in the UK is that gun paybacks within the context of arms control work. We've had only one mass shooting reach double figures number of deaths since Dunblane which was over quarter of a century ago. And a fair proportion of shootings have been related to criminal gang activity. So getting guns out of circulation does prevent the sort of armed loner mass murders that happen in the US rare in the UK. Even gang violence often involves knives instead of guns which probably reduces the frequency and lethality. And I cannot recall the last terror attack here than involved guns rather than vehicles or knives or bombs. So the Tree of life or Charleston Church terror attacks couldn't have happened in the same way here. Not sure how this applies to Wikipedia though.

DPatrick
Banned

Unread post by DPatrick » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:31 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:38 pm
Mojito wrote:

This feels like gun buybacks. They were a big thing in the US twenty or so yeasrs ago, then we saw that doing them did absolutely nothing to deter mass shootings. And actual criminals sold any broken or unwanted guns they had piled up. People who get some weird thrill out of spending years of their lives creating fake personas on an encyclopdia website aren't going to go for it. Actual mentally ill people who, for example, walk down a city street taking pictures of random traffic and uploading them again and again and again to a website that keeps blocking them for doing exactly that aren't going to go for it.
Gun buybacks work to reduce availability. The problem is that gun culture in the USA is a batshit insane death cult, and the few buybacks that were done weren't enough to put a dent in the numbers.

If you want to recruit and keep good editors? You should stop falsely accusing them of being sockpuppets and treating them like shit. I'm sure there are thousands of people you liars owe apologies to.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:06 pm

Hi. Here's another random half-baked idea: every new registered user (who has made a couple of vaguely-decent edits) could be welcomed by an experienced editor within the first few days. Eg a personalised message on their talk page.

The current situation seems to be that they just receive a few automated notifications. For many new editors, their first contact from another person would be someone reverting their edit or yelling at them. This doesn't seem like a good way to improve the often toxic culture.

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:24 am

Mojito wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:06 pm
Hi. Here's another random half-baked idea: every new registered user (who has made a couple of vaguely-decent edits) could be welcomed by an experienced editor within the first few days. Eg a personalised message on their talk page.

The current situation seems to be that they just receive a few automated notifications. For many new editors, their first contact from another person would be someone reverting their edit or yelling at them. This doesn't seem like a good way to improve the often toxic culture.
There is the Mentorship feature of Wikipedia:Growth Team features (T-H-L), which essentially puts a newcomer in touch with an experienced user who can answer their questions on editing Wikipedia.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:20 am

redbaron wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:24 am
Mojito wrote:

There is the Mentorship feature of Wikipedia:Growth Team features (T-H-L), which essentially puts a newcomer in touch with an experienced user who can answer their questions on editing Wikipedia.
Demiurge1000 was welcoming lots of people to en.wp back in the day.

Careful what you wish for.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mojito
Critic

Mentoring

Unread post by Mojito » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am

redbaron wrote:
Thanks Redbaron. If I'm understanding the FAQ page correctly, en-wp has mentoring turned on, so every new user should be contacted by a mentor:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/FAQ#How_mentors_are_assigned_to_newcomers? wrote:How mentors are assigned to newcomers?
Each new account receives a mentor randomly taken from a list of volunteers.
But someone I know created an account recently, and the only human interaction they've had some far was some gatekeeper editor mass-reverting their edits without so much as an Edit Summary :dubious:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 am

A very naive idea on how to reduce the number of abusive blocks:
Every block has to be reviewed by a second admin within 24 hours. An admin is randomly assigned to review (chosen from the admins active that day). The reviewing admin sees the block reason, but not who performed the block. If the reviewer doesn't agree with the block it is lifted and expunged from the record. Possible exception for obvious vandalism. If the first admin wants the block upheld it goes to admin action review. Individual statistics showing how many blocks are upheld and how many are lifted by each admin are centrally listed.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

JarrBarr
Critic

Unread post by JarrBarr » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:18 am

rnu wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 am
Every block has to be reviewed by a second admin within 24 hours. An admin is randomly assigned to review (chosen from the admins active that day). The reviewing admin sees the block reason, but not who performed the block. If the reviewer doesn't agree with the block it is lifted and expunged from the record. Possible exception for obvious vandalism. If the first admin wants the block upheld it goes to admin action review. Individual statistics showing how many blocks are upheld and how many are lifted by each admin are centrally listed.
If the admin commented on talk page or user page, and because you at least in theory have to look at context before wielding the banhammer, that anonymization will be an illusion. Also, you won't be able to see the block logs?

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Re: Mentoring

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:05 pm

Mojito wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
redbaron wrote:
Thanks Redbaron. If I'm understanding the FAQ page correctly, en-wp has mentoring turned on, so every new user should be contacted by a mentor:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/FAQ#How_mentors_are_assigned_to_newcomers? wrote:How mentors are assigned to newcomers?
But someone I know created an account recently, and the only human interaction they've had some far was some gatekeeper editor mass-reverting their edits without so much as an Edit Summary :dubious:
When I created my account, I was assigned a mentor immediately. I don’t remember who it was though it was an admin I had heard of before. That mentor did not ever contact me. Some months ago my mentorship (menteeship?) was automatically reassigned to a different admin who I’d also heard of. I didn’t get a message from that person either. All this is very commonplace, but the worst part is they don’t explain what a mentor is when they notify you, they just tell you that you have one. I was relatively well-versed in Wikipedia lingo when I made my account and I still didn’t understand what my mentor was supposed to do for me! Catastrophic system failure.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:19 pm

Mojito wrote:

That's a great idea.

I remember my own starting experience. I was interested in WP in the abstract for a couple years, but stayed away because I had heard it was a Libertarian (capital L) political project of sorts. I gradually figured out that was, at most, a gross oversimplification and started to edit about things I knew about, jumping straight into content creation. And I think I went along for three weeks or a month without ever bumping into the volunteer community: the Town Pump or AN/I or talk page discussions or anything.

When somebody posted something on my talk page for the first time, it was like: "Oh, wow — you're one of those actual Wikipedians!"

It would be good to humanize the process up front.

t

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:47 pm

JarrBarr wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:18 am
rnu wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:01 am
If the admin commented on talk page or user page, and because you at least in theory have to look at context before wielding the banhammer, that anonymization will be an illusion. Also, you won't be able to see the block logs?
It would require changes to the MediaWiki software to allow temporarily anonymizing selected admin actions and messages. Even without the anonymization it would be a huge improvement. But it is important that admins can't just chose whose actions they review or who reviews their actions. Otherwise there will just be abusive tag-teams where now there are abusive admins.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:50 pm

redbaron wrote:
This sounds like a good idea, but in practice it largely falls flat. The "experienced volunteers" often turn out to "vandal fighters" and "new page patrollers" instead of people who actually write new articles or copyedit, Like 64andtim (T-C-L) who has managed to rack up over 12,00 edits since creating their account in May. It's another hat for the hat collectors.

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:50 pm
redbaron wrote:
This sounds like a good idea, but in practice it largely falls flat. The "experienced volunteers" often turn out to "vandal fighters" and "new page patrollers" instead of people who actually write new articles or copyedit, Like 64andtim (T-C-L) who has managed to rack up over 12,00 edits since creating their account in May. It's another hat for the hat collectors.
hmm, let's look at the requirements...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Growth_Team_features/Mentor_list wrote: You need have at least 500 edits and have had an account for 90 days to sign up as a mentor. It is also expected that a significant proportion of your 500 minimum edits will have been made in mainspace.
that's a damn low bar
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

ltbdl
Critic
Wikipedia User: ltbdl

Unread post by ltbdl » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:14 pm

Mojito wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:54 am
redbaron wrote:
hmm...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Growth_Team_features/Mentor_list wrote: A Mentor is given to each new account, but about 1 user over 500 new accounts contact their mentor (based on the average number of questions asked by newcomers at wikis where Mentorship is deployed). However, it is not yet the case at English Wikipedia, where only 50% of new accounts get a mentor (as of October 2023), due to a lack of mentors.

this is still open: T323048 Encourage English Wikipedia to have 100% of new accounts getting Growth mentorship

so... the faq is just wrong
if you are reading this then you maybe are suffering maybe paranoia perhaps (or not)...

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:30 am

ltbdl wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:14 pm
hmm...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Growth_Team_features/Mentor_list wrote: A Mentor is given to each new account, but about 1 user over 500 new accounts contact their mentor (based on the average number of questions asked by newcomers at wikis where Mentorship is deployed). However, it is not yet the case at English Wikipedia, where only 50% of new accounts get a mentor (as of October 2023), due to a lack of mentors.

this is still open: T323048 Encourage English Wikipedia to have 100% of new accounts getting Growth mentorship

Indeed. This is also wrong, or at least misleading:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Growth_Team_features wrote:These features are currently being deployed to 100% of new accounts created on English Wikipedia.
Also, it's one mentor for every 500 new users, so each mentee probably gets about 17 seconds of their mentor's attention each month...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 pm

Mojito wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:30 am
ltbdl wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:14 pm
hmm...

Indeed. This is also wrong, or at least misleading:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Growth_Team_features wrote:These features are currently being deployed to 100% of new accounts created on English Wikipedia.
Also, it's one mentor for every 500 new users, so each mentee probably gets about 17 seconds of their mentor's attention each month...
If only 1 of 500 users contacts their mentor as it says above that works out fine (barring statistical accidents).
But if the mentors are the same patronizing, dismissive bunch as the teahouse "hosts" this is not the way to retain people. On the other hand it can hardly be any worse than the proposed edits system.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:54 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:45 pm
If only 1 of 500 users contacts their mentor as it says above that works out fine (barring statistical accidents).
But if the mentors are the same patronizing, dismissive bunch as the teahouse "hosts" this is not the way to retain people. On the other hand it can hardly be any worse than the proposed edits system.
Agreed. If most mentees are blissfully unaware that they have a mentor, then it's all working perfectly!

Mojito
Critic

reducing abuse of BLP subjects

Unread post by Mojito » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:03 pm

An interesting idea, courtesy of Vigilant:
At the very minimum:
  1. A mechanism for most BLP subjects to opt out of an article without undue hassle.
  2. A requirement that BLPs can only be edited by editors using their real names.*
  3. Pending Changes on all BLPs.
* Or an alternative for the editing using one's real name:
Replace number 2 with, "* Must stand for BLPEDITOR rights in a manner similar to RfA. Loss of this right <insert mechanism here>..."

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:59 pm

I want the ability to call in an airstrike

andre
Banned

Re: reducing abuse of BLP subjects

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:18 am

Mojito wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:03 pm
At the very minimum:
  1. A mechanism for most BLP subjects to opt out of an article without undue hassle.
  2. A requirement that BLPs can only be edited by editors using their real names.*
Replace number 2 with, "* Must stand for BLPEDITOR rights in a manner similar to RfA. Loss of this right <insert mechanism here>..."
I think this would honestly gain a bit of traction if someone proposed it properly - with plenty of opportunities for adjustments and comments.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:23 am

andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:18 am
Mojito wrote:
At the very minimum:
I think this would honestly gain a bit of traction if someone proposed it properly - with plenty of opportunities for adjustments and comments.
I would welcome it.
It's a major problem on en.wp currently.

However, it's been tried before without success because, on en.wp, the cruelty is the point.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

andre
Banned

Unread post by andre » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:03 am

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:23 am
andre wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:18 am
Mojito wrote:
At the very minimum:
I would welcome it.
It's a major problem on en.wp currently.

However, it's been tried before without success because, on en.wp, the cruelty is the point.
As I said I think WMF can end the cruelty regime, if not already on its last legs. Which starts with a community accepted Terms of Service and Standard of Conduct as well as a Code of Ethics that should be compulsory when you click signup. Users should be given a grace period to opt-in or be labelled as wild cowboys with a special user icon.