Rich Farmborough

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Rich Farmborough

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:24 pm

He's indef'd for being a jackass and seems to be using his talk page for something other than requesting an unblock.

Why is that?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Rich Farmborough

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:26 pm

Obviously because he is a misunderstood genius who is just trying to help us poor fools.

I zapped it, we'll see what happens. My admin tools are off the table when it comes to Rich but if he persists, which he almost certainly will, revocation of the talk page would seem in order. He's always been his own worst enemy (although I think he imagines I actually fill that role).
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:40 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:26 pm
Obviously because he is a misunderstood genius who is just trying to help us poor fools.

I zapped it, we'll see what happens. My admin tools are off the table when it comes to Rich but if he persists, which he almost certainly will, revocation of the talk page would seem in order. He's always been his own worst enemy (although I think he imagines I actually fill that role).
From a sideways perspective, I’ve never seen exactly why he is seen as so egregiously bad, but I haven’t run into him that much.

What exactly is his perceived major malfunction(s)?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:43 pm

:like:
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:

From a sideways perspective, I’ve never seen exactly why he is seen as so egregiously bad, but I haven’t run into him that much.

Making mass edits that do more harm than good, over and over and over again, look at his block log and his multiple entries at WP:RESTRICT (T-H-L) for instance.

from 2010
Regardless of the editing method (i.e. manual, semi-automatic, or automatic; from any account), Rich Farmbrough is indefinitely prohibited from making cosmetic changes to wikicode that have no effect on the rendered page (excepting those changes that are built-in to stock AWB or those that have demonstrable consensus or BAG approval). This includes but is not limited to: changing templates to template redirects, changing template redirects to templates (see here for AWB stock changes on this item, with the understanding that bypassing template redirects will only be done when there is a substantive edit being done), changing the spacing around headers and ordered lists (except to make an aberration consistent with the rest of the page), and changing the capitalization of templates. Furthermore, prior to orphaning/emptying and deleting categories or templates, the appropriate processes (WP:CFD/WP:TFD) should be engaged.
Regardless of the editing method (i.e. manual, semi-automatic, or automatic; from any account), Rich Farmbrough is indefinitely prohibited from mass creating pages in any namespace, unless prior community approval for the specific mass creation task is documented. The definition of "mass creation" and the spirit of the restriction follows Wikipedia:BOTPOL#Mass article creation.
Rich Farmbrough is not permitted to make any mass changes to articles, broadly construed, and regardless of editing method, cosmetic or not, without a demonstrable consensus from the community that he is explicitly permitted to do so. Further, he is entirely prohibited from using Auto Wiki Browser or directly making any edits to Wikipedia:AutoWikiBrowser/Template redirects or any other page related to the governance and use of automated or semi-automated tools. Any such changes desired must be proposed on the appropriate talk page, and may only be enacted by other parties. This sanction does not replace or nullify other pre-existing sanctions on this user, and may be appealed no sooner than one year from the date it was approved by the community.
again in 2020, when he gamed the previous restriction
Consensus in respect of Rich Farmbrough's editing restrictions shall be defined as approval at WP:BRFA or a formally closed WP:RFC with more than ten non-canvassed participants.
These are all community sanctions that are still active, which is probably why he doesn't appeal the block, there were more than this, imposed by ArbCom, that he managed to appeal.

So actually, it's not just the mass editing, it's the wikilawyering and end-running of restrictions, and acting like he didn't know any better when these things are pointed out, basically complete disrespect of the idea that the entire project is not his laboratory for his bot/ mass editing whims, that introduce errors as often as they fix them.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:14 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:43 pm
:like:
The Blue Newt wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:

Making mass edits that do more harm than good, over and over and over again, look at his block log and his multiple entries at WP:RESTRICT (T-H-L) for instance.

(much snippage)

So actually, it's not just the mass editing, it's the wikilawyering and end-running of restrictions, and acting like he didn't know any better when these things are pointed out, basically complete disrespect of the idea that the entire project is not his laboratory for his bot/ mass editing whims, that introduce errors as often as they fix them.
Ahh, getting all DIcKlY oN Wiki. Carry on with the Act of Faith, then.

stedil
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Stedil

Unread post by stedil » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:28 pm

There was an extended discussion about this here.

The explanation:
Rich Farmbrough wrote:In my "to do" list above I have generally, and more so as time progressed, listed just the article title, occasionally with a cryptic note to myself, precisely because I don't want anyone to be troubled by receiving accusations of proxying.
I suspect that he thinks he will be unblocked at some point. He is recording "issues" on his talk page that he plans to fix once unblocked.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:46 pm

He thinks the rules don't apply to him, regardless of what everyone else says.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:14 pm

This entire section is an attempt to get people to edit by proxy for him.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:36 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:14 pm
Given that the problem isn’t the quality of every edit, but the tsunamistic volume of them, good and bad, isn’t this more or less a Good Thing?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:36 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Given that the problem isn’t the quality of every edit, but the tsunamistic volume of them, good and bad, isn’t this more or less a Good Thing?
He's indef'd.
He's using his talk page for things that are explicitly forbidden.
Others who do this lose talk page access immediately.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:13 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
He's indef'd.
Yeah, many, probably most, would, yep. My question is whether doing this universally, across the board, lockstep is a good thing, or whether this is an exception which someone interested in creating a reference work would allow.

Now, I greatly doubt that he’s been given this latitude for this reason, Wiki doesn’t work that way. It’s broken, and, I think, broken to the point where its collapse would be progress. When exceptions are made to rules, it is almost always personal, or because it drives some agenda. I get this, yeah.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:15 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:13 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
He's indef'd.
Yeah, many, probably most, would, yep. My question is whether doing this universally, across the board, lockstep is a good thing, or whether this is an exception which someone interested in creating a reference work would allow.

Now, I greatly doubt that he’s been given this latitude for this reason, Wiki doesn’t work that way. It’s broken, and, I think, broken to the point where its collapse would be progress. When exceptions are made to rules, it is almost always personal, or because it drives some agenda. I get this, yeah.
Exactly this.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:53 pm

I think it is fairly obvious that Rich has been given repeated chances to prove he can stop acting the fool, and has deliberately squandered them all, to the point where there is no room left for assuming good faith with him.

Something just kind of clicked in my mind while writing about this yesterday, maybe because all their names have come up recently. Fae, Rodhullandemu, and Rich are all basically the same scenario.

*former admins
*sanctioned by both arbcom and the community
*sanctions treated by them with nothing but contempt and derision
*playing the victim no matter how many people try to explain why they are the problem
*eventually, finally, exhaust the patience of even those who have bent over backwards to be nice to them and help them overcome these issues

They each have a different style when on the ropes, Fae goes into hysterics and blames homophobia, Rod makes creepy insinuations and suddenly has debilitating health problems, while Rich has a "aw shucks I was just trying to help" routine, but the intent for all three is the same: deflection from the real issue.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm

Why do you think it takes en.wp sooooo long to reach the pint where they are able to rationally evaluate whether someone is a clear net negative?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:58 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm
Why do you think it takes en.wp sooooo long to reach the pint where they are able to rationally evaluate whether someone is a clear net negative?
Well, all three of these folks were "legacy admins" and I think that exacerbates the issue. The ole Super Mario problem.

They are also all British. I don't know that that is actually relevant, but so is our old friend Eric Corbett.

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:

Beeblebrox, I know that you think you are really cool, but I get the impression that you are a silly geek.
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:33 pm

owl be it wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:53 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:

Beeblebrox, I know that you think you are really cool, but I get the impression that you are a silly geek.
I mean, I won't deny that, but I am not at all sure how that diff demonstrates that.

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:25 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:33 pm
owl be it wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

I mean, I won't deny that, but I am not at all sure how that diff demonstrates that.
You and Rich are the only two people in the world who care enough about his talk page to edit it! I say you're at least as much of a weirdo as him. Two peas in a pod...
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:44 am

owl be it wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:25 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:33 pm
owl be it wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

You and Rich are the only two people in the world who care enough about his talk page to edit it! I say you're at least as much of a weirdo as him. Two peas in a pod...
I'm the one who brought it up and you're the one who's commenting.

That's a full pea pod.
YAHTZEE!

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:43 pm

Have to say, the busy-bodies here are just as bad as the busy bodies on Wikipedia. The only difference is that I (as blocking admin) wouldn't be summoned here in the same way, I suppose.

So, let's be clear. The rule on Wikipedia is "editing of the user's talk page should be disabled only in cases of continued abuse of their user talk page, or when the user has engaged in serious threats, accusations or outing which needs to be prevented from reoccurring" link

This idea that "you are only allowed to use your talk page for unblock requests" is simply wrong and I don't believe it's as common as people think. Yes, I have described editing your talkpage as "frowned upon" and I'm fully aware that there are a few admins out there who do pull it anyway - I'm not one of them. I considered whether it should happen at Christmas but haven't felt the need to yank TPA in a decade.

I couldn't care less about Rich leaving notes about areas he sees as problems on his talk page. If someone agrees that they are a problem and goes ahead and fixes them, that's not not a big deal. Wikipedia is a better place, and the wildflowers haven't been run over by Rich's lawnmower.

Long story short, there are millions of pages on Wikipedia that I spend my time not looking at. Rich's talk page is just one. I suggest you do the same.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:58 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:43 pm
Have to say, the busy-bodies here are just as bad as the busy bodies on Wikipedia. The only difference is that I (as blocking admin) wouldn't be summoned here in the same way, I suppose.

So, let's be clear. The rule on Wikipedia is "editing of the user's talk page should be disabled only in cases of continued abuse of their user talk page, or when the user has engaged in serious threats, accusations or outing which needs to be prevented from reoccurring" link

This idea that "you are only allowed to use your talk page for unblock requests" is simply wrong and I don't believe it's as common as people think. Yes, I have described editing your talkpage as "frowned upon" and I'm fully aware that there are a few admins out there who do pull it anyway - I'm not one of them. I considered whether it should happen at Christmas but haven't felt the need to yank TPA in a decade.

I couldn't care less about Rich leaving notes about areas he sees as problems on his talk page. If someone agrees that they are a problem and goes ahead and fixes them, that's not not a big deal. Wikipedia is a better place, and the wildflowers haven't been run over by Rich's lawnmower.

Long story short, there are millions of pages on Wikipedia that I spend my time not looking at. Rich's talk page is just one. I suggest you do the same.
That’s begging the question. Some people apparently seem to view RF’s behavior as “continued abuse of their talk page,” to wit, proxy socking. I’m not sure I agree with that, for the reasons you mention here, and I mention above, but this isn’t just some form of curtain-twitching nosiness.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:08 pm

Move along, everyone.

There's an encyclopedia to build.

So, David, why is Rich treated differently than other indef'd editors?

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:11 pm

Because admins are not a homogenous group.

Many didn't indef him. I did.

turnedworm
Critic

Unread post by turnedworm » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:58 pm
That’s begging the question. Some people apparently seem to view RF’s behavior as “continued abuse of their talk page,” to wit, proxy socking. I’m not sure I agree with that, for the reasons you mention here, and I mention above, but this isn’t just some form of curtain-twitching nosiness.
I disagree, I see this absolutely as curtain-twitching, of people who have nothing better to do.

I don't buy into the great Wikipedia game, vandalism / counter vandalism, discouraging behaviours by deleting a persons work - I don't generally care who makes a good edit, if the edit is good. This isn't a big deal.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 pm

turnedworm wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:58 pm
I disagree, I see this absolutely as curtain-twitching, of people who have nothing better to do.

I don't buy into the great Wikipedia game, vandalism / counter vandalism, discouraging behaviours by deleting a persons work - I don't generally care who makes a good edit, if the edit is good. This isn't a big deal.
Someone capable of noticing how much damage an industrious vandal, incompetent, or crank can do might have a different opinion from you.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:43 pm

Given that Rich basically treats Wikipedia as a game or therapy, it definitely seems like he's the kind of person who should be restricted from making edits to his talk page. Some people need to be cut off.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:50 pm

Maybe Rich needs a SanFranBan.

Shades of Russavia.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:19 pm

ArmasRebane wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:43 pm
Given that Rich basically treats Wikipedia as a game or therapy, it definitely seems like he's the kind of person who should be restricted from making edits to his talk page. Some people need to be cut off.
This is where I'm at with it. I wasn't watching his page either, and I'm not watching it now. I readily admit I became aware of his edits through this thread. And in many if not most other cases, I wouldn't care either, but in this case, I see it as an extension of the problems that led to his indef block in the first place. Rich has repeatedly made his contempt for any restrictions placed on him clear. Using his talk page for some sort of personal note-taking is just more of the same. Talk pages are for communication with others, note-taking belongs on a subpage or a sandbox. The fact that Rich does not have access to any of that is exactly the point. It's another end-run. I don't think Wikipedia editing is healthy for Rich, It seems to bring out his worst qualities. So I think the TP needs to be pulled as much for him as for anyone else.

That being said, I've said my piece about it and what will happen will happen.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 pm

It's always interesting to see which questions people refuse to answer.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:28 pm

I don't mind in general when people do that sort of talk page editing after being blocked.

Just makes it easier to identify their enablers when they proxy for them.

Noted, added to list.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:41 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm
It doesn't take that long to rationally identify someone is a negative long term. It's done all the time at an early stage by multiple people. The problem is that they are not listened to, primarily because they are not admins, but mainly because as a group admins think more about harm to the work than harm to other editors.

E.g., in a situation where someone was previously topic banned, and is now causing issues in a new area, there is absolutely no benefit to adding another topic ban. It just moves the problem down the line and inflicts them on more unsuspecting editors in another area. And this is pointed out at that time. But because admins don't really care about those future people, editors like Mathsci get to inflict misery on others for years more until they reach a critical mass of pissing off enough normal editors that the admin enablers are effectively overruled.

Take a look at C of E's request to have his bans lifted. C of E is a racist troll with antiquated political views and no inclination to work well with others. Their bans have removed the ability to cause disruption that they have demonstrated over an extended period of time to multiple editors, and done exactly what was needed. There is no benefit to lifting them. C of E has not changed their personality, political views and lifting them is just going to cause grief to someone else in the future.

It's the lack of consideration for future risks that is the cause of why it takes so long to get any real action taken, not the identifying of problem behaviours.

Inner Focus
Contributor

Unread post by Inner Focus » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:01 pm

stedil
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Stedil

Unread post by stedil » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:15 pm

Rich Farmbrough/ER (T-C-L)

Those edit restrictions are a mouthful.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:17 pm

18:26, 31 December 2023 MSGJ talk contribs unblocked Rich Farmbrough talk contribs (Rich states they will not break editing restrictions)
Going by his block log this is totally someone who can be trusted to comply with editing restrictions.
:sarcasm:
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 pm

Yeah, this won't end well. Worm's comments are on point.
Rich, I blocked you indefinitely because you stated, clearly, that you felt the burden of the restrictions would be intolerable and you would not go along with them. Your unblock request simply stated your "intent" to follow them. Based on your history, I'm expecting you to breach your restrictions and claim good intentions. Please do prove me wrong.
Anyone who needs four seperate editing restrictions just to keep their endless disuption to a minimum obviously is not a good fit for the project. I'm rather astounded that such a lame unblock request got taken seriously. His "ooh did I violate the restriction? I had no idea..." act is played out.

On the other hand, there is a certain simple logic to basically daring him to actually keep his word for once.

The problem with Rich isn't just that he makes thousands of automated edits, lots of people do that, Rich is just exceptionally bad at it and relies on his "poor me" bullshit to hget him out of trouble each time.

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:44 pm

There is "Rich the editor", who edits Wikipedia articles manually. He may not be the best editor, but he isn't bad.

There is also "Rich the bot operator", who is banned and will remain banned.

Can Rich the editor be unblocked while Rich the bot operator remains banned?