The Blue Newt
Habitué
kołdry

CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun May 15, 2022 2:01 pm

Clusterfucque du jour:

A thread for the main page.

Starting out with an item from today’s Do You Kare:

“... that the construction of Washington State Route 512 included a new high school football stadium to replace a demolished one?”

NSS. That’s how Eminent Domain (T-H-L) works, yup. You take it, you break it? You pay for it, in cash or kind.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix title of topic per request of author

The Blue Newt
Habitué

RE: CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:08 am

“ 1935 – In one of the biggest upsets in championship boxing, the underdog James J. Braddock (pictured) defeated Max Baer to become the heavyweight champion of the world.”

I guess they just liked the cut of his jib.
Last edited by Zoloft on Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: Clusterfucque du Jour, undisclosed paid editing version?

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:12 pm

Do You Kare that Amangiri (T-H-L) might be the most blatant puff piece to appear on the Main Page in weeks?

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ, Shit found on the internet department.

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:27 pm

On today’s Dog’s Breakfast Main Page, On This Day section , we have Landing at Kip's Bay (T-H-L), which is illustrated by a picture of that most Perfidious Albionic trick, the use of hawsers in compression.

The picture, which supposedly show troops landing rather obviously shows troops embarking, and, far from being in New York, they are on their way to Tilbury Fort (T-H-L). The mislabeled image file is sourced to a geocaching site.

Sadness.
Last edited by The Blue Newt on Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:45 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:27 pm
The picture, which supposedly show troops landing rather obviously shows troops embarking...
Nope, they are clearly landing and then lining up facing the sea, to confuse the enemy. Similar tactics were tried at Dunkirk, though that unfortunately failed when a bunch of civilians turned up unannounced and insisted on dragging the troops back on to their boats.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:35 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:45 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
The picture, which supposedly show troops landing rather obviously shows troops embarking...
Nope, they are clearly landing and then lining up facing the sea, to confuse the enemy. Similar tactics were tried at Dunkirk, though that unfortunately failed when a bunch of civilians turned up unannounced and insisted on dragging the troops back on to their boats.
There are so many things wrong with that picture it is surprising that even the Front Page Krewe could miss it.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:28 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:35 am
AndyTheGrump wrote:
The Blue Newt wrote:
There are so many things wrong with that picture it is surprising that even the Front Page Krewe could miss it.
The Krewe aren't interested in minor details like historical accuracy. Or common sense. If it makes the main page, that's all that matters.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
The Blue Newt wrote:
A TinEye reverse image search uncovered this version on the Bridgman images website of stock images. It's apparently an 18th-century British engraving with the title View of Gravesend with troops crossing the Thames to Tilbury Fort.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:22 pm

lonza leggiera wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am
AndyTheGrump wrote:
The Blue Newt wrote:
A TinEye reverse image search uncovered this version on the Bridgman images website of stock images. It's apparently an 18th-century British engraving with the title View of Gravesend with troops crossing the Thames to Tilbury Fort.
Yep. By Francis West, if I remember right. Robert Cleveley (T-H-L) actually did a view of the landing. It, too, suffered from mistaken views about what it was of, if memory serves.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:59 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:22 pm
lonza leggiera wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am
AndyTheGrump wrote:
The Blue Newt wrote:
Yep. By Francis West, if I remember right. Robert Cleveley (T-H-L) actually did a view of the landing. It, too, suffered from mistaken views about what it was of, if memory serves.
Damn, that was fast. Ni Yngva and Bilby have already cleaned it up.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ, Visual Edition

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:08 pm

The Pic o’ t’’Day connects to Aleksander Gierymski (T-H-L), which appears to have assembled the maximum possible level of False friends (T-H-L), mistranslation, and general Moose and Squirrelism that could get past casual inspection.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ: Do You Kare edition

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm

“.. that Nancy Reagan jumped out of her bath when she heard that her husband had been elected President of the United States?”

I’m trying, in a very small way, to figure out if they are trying to invoke Archimedes or Venus-on-the -half-shell, but I find it hard to give a damn yin way or tother.

Ansh666
Critic
Wikipedia User: Ansh666

Re: CFdJ: Do You Kare edition

Unread post by Ansh666 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:02 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm
“.. that Nancy Reagan jumped out of her bath when she heard that her husband had been elected President of the United States?”

I’m trying, in a very small way, to figure out if they are trying to invoke Archimedes or Venus-on-the -half-shell, but I find it hard to give a damn yin way or tother.
and the linked article has really nothing to do with it. I know DYK has really low standards but seriously now...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - Rolling in their graves edition.

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:09 am

Today’s Disgrace o’ the Day (Do you Kare section) links to Kate L. Turabian (T-H-L) and Diana Hacker (T-H-L). There’s a certain irony in these two articles being so badly researched.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:53 pm

Today’s Deod o’ the Day proves that an alcoholic Uraguayan footballer was Corconian by linking to an Amazon hiring site. (Dunno if its a legit one, but the path looked shady…)

Viva el linkrot!

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:07 pm

link (commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Travelling_English_Court.jpg)

From Do You Kare. Obvious proof of Wiki’s 14th century existence, or that some nying-nyong named Ezrza Funes doesn’t understand the concept of plagiarism. You pick.

PS: More importantly, proof that some nying-nyong named Dumelow (T-C-L) and the Front Page Krewe don’t grok plagiarism, either.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - DoYouKare, NSS Department

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:13 am

Do you Kare... “that zinc white was found in several versions of The Scream?”

One of the commonest pigments was used on a painting. Yeah, that’s man-bites-dog.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Re: CFdJ - DoYouKare, NSS Department

Unread post by Ryuichi » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:10 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:13 am
Do you Kare... “that zinc white was found in several versions of The Scream?”

One of the commonest pigments was used on a painting. Yeah, that’s man-bites-dog.
That's actually mildly interesting. Zinc white is very common as a pigment. But for oil painting, lead white was generally preferred due to its greater opacity.

Though the "several" is perhaps a bit more than the sources suggest.

EDIT: After a little research, I find that zinc white was relatively popular in oils from about 1890 to 1920 (when titanium oxide became available); which corresponds to Munch's work on The Scream. So yes, more man-bites-dog than I had originally believed.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

On today’s Swill-o-t-Day, we learn that there is such a thing in English as “scuttled by fire”, replacing the. simple French “burned”. This phrase is vanishingly rare in books in the BD* era. It grows since.

*”Before D’Jimbo”, based on the starting point of our brave new world.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:16 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm
On today’s Swill-o-t-Day, we learn that there is such a thing in English as “scuttled by fire”, replacing the. simple French “burned”. This phrase is vanishingly rare in books in the BD* era. It grows since.

*”Before D’Jimbo”, based on the starting point of our brave new world.
'Burned', or possibly even 'deliberately sunk by gunfire'. Ambiguous....

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:59 am

Ten Newtpoints to those who can find the cite which fails verification in today’s featured article.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 pm

Do You Kare that
that the 14th-century St Mary's Church, Mablethorpe, in Lincolnshire, England, is constructed of material classified as random mixed rubble, red brick and slate?
I am unsure whether this should go in the NSS pile or not.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:48 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:41 pm
Do You Kare that
that the 14th-century St Mary's Church, Mablethorpe, in Lincolnshire, England, is constructed of material classified as random mixed rubble, red brick and slate?
I am unsure whether this should go in the NSS pile or not.
Random mixed rubble is an essential component of at least one online encyclopaedia I can think of...

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 pm

DYK that Mablethorpe is only two miles away from Miami Beach.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:07 pm

el84 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:57 pm
DYK that Mablethorpe is only two miles away from Miami Beach.
Of course. Just the other day my wife saw Mozart on the number 9 bus…

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:14 am

Normally I'd say I appreciate DYK more then the average person in the thread, but

Do you kare... ... that millennials pause? (intentional double ellipses) is the first time I genuinely was entirely unsure how a single person thought it was appropriate for the CFdJ Main Page. While I appreciate good wordplay, this is merely decent wordplay. Furthermore, the writing of the article is... ...not great, and the entire premise seems very dictionary definition.

Also.. CFdJ is one errant F away from being a pretty good way to abbreviate my name. Pretty accurate description of me, I'd say.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:08 am

casualdejekyll wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:14 am
Normally I'd say I appreciate DYK more then the average person in the thread, but

Do you kare... ... that millennials pause? (intentional double ellipses) is the first time I genuinely was entirely unsure how a single person thought it was appropriate for the CFdJ Main Page. While I appreciate good wordplay, this is merely decent wordplay. Furthermore, the writing of the article is... ...not great, and the entire premise seems very dictionary definition.

Also.. CFdJ is one errant F away from being a pretty good way to abbreviate my name. Pretty accurate description of me, I'd say.
It's the same way they always had kittens in the studio at TV shows in the Sixties - they used their wee paws for station identification.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - NSS subsection

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:49 am

that the Arleigh Burke-class destoyers are hardened against electromagnetic pulses?
…along with every other piece of equipment, right down to 3K generators, yup.

Although, come to think of it, perhaps the destoyer follows a different rule from the destroyer (T-H-L).

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:54 pm

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:54 pm
Squirrels on college campuses (T-H-L).

Jesus wept.
And why aren't there Pigeons on college campuses (T-H-L), Spiders in car factories (T-H-L), Flies in office buildings (T-H-L)? Those topics are just as encyclopaedic.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:36 pm

In addition to squirrels, I've seen foxes, skunks, chipmunks, mice, rats and feral cats on college campuses.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:36 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:42 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:

Jesus wept.
And why aren't there Pigeons on college campuses (T-H-L), Spiders in car factories (T-H-L), Flies in office buildings (T-H-L)? Those topics are just as encyclopaedic.
Tell ya what, you bring Squirrels on college campuses (T-H-L) to AfD and we gamble five dollars on the outcome. Then when the result comes in Keep, you pay me.

t

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:41 pm

Clearly not everyone's idea of what constitutes an encyclopaedic subject is the same. I'm off to create Squirrels in trees (T-H-L) and Trees on college campuses (T-H-L), as two clearly-needed articles. Cause and effect (T-H-L) has apparently already been written...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers Section

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:56 pm

The Costa Concordia disaster (T-H-L) and its aftermath combined heoism, cowardice, technical expertise and technical incompetence, tragedy, black comedy, and farce. So, what’s the Karing Krewe decide to highlight in today’s Do You Kare?

The exact meaning of the Italian word cozzo.

Va fan culo, Krewe. Va fungoo.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - Pee Po Belly Bum Drawers Section

Unread post by eppur si muove » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:41 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:56 pm
The Costa Concordia disaster (T-H-L) and its aftermath combined heoism, cowardice, technical expertise and technical incompetence, tragedy, black comedy, and farce. So, what’s the Karing Krewe decide to highlight in today’s Do You Kare?

The exact meaning of the Italian word cozzo.

Va fan culo, Krewe. Va fungoo.
That is so disrespectful in an article about a lot of people being killed.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:25 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:

Jesus wept.
I am mildly amused that the article mentions the European black squirells at Kent State, which I knew about from reading Kent State: What Happened and Why by James A. Michener (T-H-L). Michener really liked to add little details like that to give you a real sense of a place.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

MaryKarrel
Contributor

Unread post by MaryKarrel » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:22 am

Carla Monroe (T-H-L):
Monroe is a vibrato.

MaryKarrel
Contributor

Unread post by MaryKarrel » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:54 pm

Lil Uzi Vert (T-H-L):
On April 29, 2016, Atlanta rapper OG Maco went on a rant on social media where they claim that they "paved the way" for Woods and that Woods was "stealing their sauce", referring to their style. Maco implied there was no issue between Woods and them though Woods took offense to Maco's comment who mentioned Atlanta rapper Reese LaFlare who Woods was feuding with. In August 2016, Woods attempted to assault Reese LaFlare at Day N Night Fest after seeing them through a security barrier, though they were stopped by security. In September 2016, OG Maco and Woods resolved their feud. In January 2018, Woods punched Reese LaFlare in the face and bragged about it on social media, later deleting the tweet.
The article passed GA like this.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Re: CFdJ - Multiplying Musks Department

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:34 am

Elon Musk vs. Mark Zuckerberg (T-H-L). (From Today’s Do You Kare.)

Is it my imagination, or is there a campaign of extra unflattering articles on Musk, much as was done with the Manatee? It Cirt-ainly looks like it.

casualdejekyll
Muted

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:42 pm

MaryKarrel wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:54 pm
Lil Uzi Vert (T-H-L):
On April 29, 2016, Atlanta rapper OG Maco went on a rant on social media where they claim that they "paved the way" for Woods and that Woods was "stealing their sauce", referring to their style. Maco implied there was no issue between Woods and them though Woods took offense to Maco's comment who mentioned Atlanta rapper Reese LaFlare who Woods was feuding with. In August 2016, Woods attempted to assault Reese LaFlare at Day N Night Fest after seeing them through a security barrier, though they were stopped by security. In September 2016, OG Maco and Woods resolved their feud. In January 2018, Woods punched Reese LaFlare in the face and bragged about it on social media, later deleting the tweet.
The article passed GA like this.
What's the issue here..?

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:04 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:34 am

Is it my imagination, or is there a campaign of extra unflattering articles on Musk, much as was done with the Manatee? It Cirt-ainly looks like it.
You might be misinterpreting the situation; Elon Musk is on a campaign to do as much stupid stuff in public as possible, and the "kurrent events krew" seems to be behaving as expected in response.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:01 pm

orangepi wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:04 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:

You might be misinterpreting the situation; Elon Musk is on a campaign to do as much stupid stuff in public as possible, and the "kurrent events krew" seems to be behaving as expected in response.
Musk and Manatee have done more damage to capitalism than Unca Joe Stalin ever dreamed of, yep. And the KEK (!!? Coincidence? Nahh…) do loves them a good scandal. But looking at the edit history of this particular piece of muskiness does suggest thst one of the problem children has worked on it.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:17 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:

I didn't remember Cirt being such a fan of the mdash? :blink: (§)

And no mention of the Cirtian book reviews in the April Fools Day creation of Wikipedia coverage of Donald Trump...

This cat does seem like they would have been a hit at Wikinews, though. ^_^
los auberginos

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:01 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:17 pm
The ElijahPepe blog and twitter accounts give his real name. He's a software engineer at Tesla.

casualdejekyll
Muted

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:20 am

The Blue Newt wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:01 pm
orangepi wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:04 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:

Musk and Manatee have done more damage to capitalism than Unca Joe Stalin ever dreamed of, yep. And the KEK (!!? Coincidence? Nahh…) do loves them a good scandal. But looking at the edit history of this particular piece of muskiness does suggest thst one of the problem children has worked on it.
Eh. Stalin only cared about damaging capitalism to the extent that it would help him stay in power. By the time he was in power the Soviet system had entirely crumbled and he was redirecting all resources he could to the war machine. It's Lenin you're thinking of, he was the one who actually believed in the nonsense he was spewing.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:10 am

tarantino wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:01 pm
Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:17 pm
The ElijahPepe blog and twitter accounts give his real name. He's a software engineer at Tesla.
Fun. I guess that makes them an expert editor for the Tesla Model S (T-H-L) page. :B'
ProphetPepe wrote:Heya! I'm undergoing a rewrite of this article and I agree with your assessment regarding neutrality on this article. I'll try my best to make it seem less like an ad.

source
NB: in their role as inside undertaker, it's worth noting that they don't seem to have buried much (if any) promotional material, they mostly just moved the details of references out of the text to a reflist and cut an outsized (promotional) table from energy consumption and some praise from the lede.
los auberginos

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:05 pm

There's an article about what appears to be something to do with cricket today -2023 Ashes series (T-H-L). I don't know much about cricket so I thought I'd read it.
Three overs into the evening session, Root and Bairstow brought up yet another fifty partnership in England's batting innings. Later Bairstow brought up his own half-century with a cover drive off Hazlewood. The two batters took England's lead beyond 300, before the partnership was finally broken with a delivery from Murphy that kept very low and caught Root's inside edge, bowling him for 91. Starc then got Bairstow caught behind for 78, and two overs later Woakes followed suit by driving straight to mid-off for 1 off Starc once more. England lost their eighth and ninth wickets in the space of three deliveries, Ali (29) attempting to ramp Starc but only holing out to Hazlewood at fine leg, and Wood (9) slogging straight to Marsh at deep midwicket off Murphy. Anderson and Broad saw England to stumps on 389/9, leading by 377 runs
:unsure:

One day a team won by wickets, another day the team won by runs. The played 5 matches and apparently it ended in a 2-2 draw, which means that Australia won.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:05 pm
There's an article about what appears to be something to do with cricket today -2023 Ashes series (T-H-L). I don't know much about cricket so I thought I'd read it.
Three overs into the evening session, Root and Bairstow brought up yet another fifty partnership in England's batting innings. Later Bairstow brought up his own half-century with a cover drive off Hazlewood. The two batters took England's lead beyond 300, before the partnership was finally broken with a delivery from Murphy that kept very low and caught Root's inside edge, bowling him for 91. Starc then got Bairstow caught behind for 78, and two overs later Woakes followed suit by driving straight to mid-off for 1 off Starc once more. England lost their eighth and ninth wickets in the space of three deliveries, Ali (29) attempting to ramp Starc but only holing out to Hazlewood at fine leg, and Wood (9) slogging straight to Marsh at deep midwicket off Murphy. Anderson and Broad saw England to stumps on 389/9, leading by 377 runs

One day a team won by wickets, another day the team won by runs. The played 5 matches and apparently it ended in a 2-2 draw, which means that Australia won.
Yeah, that's how you report cricket. It isn't supposed to make sense to outsiders, any more than string theory is...

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:44 pm

MrErnie wrote:

I’m not sure there is anything wrong with this, aside from the inherent, unuhMurrican, nature of cricket vocabulary itself. I’d expect descriptions of any game complicated enough to have a specialized vocabulary to be equally opaque to any outsider.

So, I dunno if this reflects the particular, peculiar clusterfuckwittery of the Main Page.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:47 pm

MrErnie wrote:
All but one sentence makes sense but the one beginning "Starc then got ..." is a mess
The series was drawn but Australia "retained the Ashes" because for England to get them back, they would have had to have beaten Australia over all and someone remains in possession of the notional funerary urn. Though the real urn remains in Lord's Cricket Ground in London being too fragile to be given as a trophy.

The origin of the name "The Ashes" was a notice in The Sporting TImes which read as follows:
In Affectionate Remembrance
of
ENGLISH CRICKET,
which died at the Oval
on
29 August 1882,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and acquaintances

R.I.P.

N.B.—The body will be cremated and the
ashes taken to Australia.