CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Re: CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 pm

This is the lead image of one of today's OTD articles. Guess what it depicts:
This totally not racist picture from 1900 depicts the Raid on Deerfield (T-H-L) by French and Native American troops under French command. Maybe I'm being racist here, but to me none of those attackers look French. And no, the English were not defenseless.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:59 am

DYK ...
... that a malaria-control program in rural Brazil attracted droves of annoying, colorful bees that collect pesticide (example pictured) into homes?
Is "annoying colorful bee" the scientific name?
I assume that the "annoying" claim is supposed to be supported by this:
Interviews with locals revealed that there had been no house-visiting bees until the malaria control spray program had begun. 95% of families interviewed reported some disturbance from the bees' noise, and 71% of interviewees had bees in their homes during their interviews.[8]
If anything I'd say it was a case of "annoying droves of colorful bees".
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix da tag

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:32 am

rnu wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:59 am
DYK ...
... that a malaria-control program in rural Brazil attracted droves of annoying, colorful bees that collect pesticide (example pictured) into homes?
Interviews with locals revealed that there had been no house-visiting bees until the malaria control spray program had begun. 95% of families interviewed reported some disturbance from the bees' noise, and 71% of interviewees had bees in their homes during their interviews.[8]
yes. But what's "collect pesticide" in this context?.
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix da quoted tag

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:39 am

Elinruby wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:32 am
rnu wrote:
DYK ...
yes. But what's "collect pesticide" in this context?
Huh so they actually eat it apparently. A more explicit link between malaria control and pesticides would improve readability. Also doing something about
It has been observed rarely visiting the flowers of the Brazil nut
would be good.
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:04 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:39 am
Elinruby wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:32 am
rnu wrote:
DYK ...
yes. But what's "collect pesticide" in this context?.

Huh so they actually eat it apparently. A more explicit link between malaria control and pesticides would improve readability. Also doing something about
It has been observed rarely visiting the flowers of the Brazil nut
would be good.
Apparently they just collect it, but don't eat it. No idea what they do with it then.
The bees do not ingest or otherwise metabolize the collected DDT.[7][8]

PirateFood

Unread post by PirateFood » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 pm

Is this a clusterfuck? Sounds like you have questions about a bee.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:42 pm

PirateFood wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 pm
Well, bees do tend to cluster, and since there's only one queen... :dubious:

Anyway, :welcome:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:50 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:42 pm
PirateFood wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:35 pm
Well, bees do tend to cluster, and since there's only one queen... :dubious:

Anyway, :welcome:
Hey! This isn't DYK. Here we back up our nonsense:
abc: Queen bees have way more sex than we thought, study finds
Bee-mating events can involve several thousand drones all gathering in areas about 20 metres above the ground in open fields, according to University of Sydney behavioural geneticist Benjamin Oldroyd.
Once mature, a young queen bee will leave her mother's hive and may visit several different "drone congregation areas" on different days, possibly mating with about 50 drones.
NSFW

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 pm

DYK ...
... that in his Ethics, Peter Abelard argued that infidels who sincerely believe themselves to be honouring God are not guilty of sin?
No complaint about the hook. But the article is crap.
Just some of the issues:
- The "publication history" is not a publication history.
- The "aftermath" section is actually a very poor, very insufficient reception section.
- The entire article dos not once refer to the actual text. There are quotes from the text, but these are taken from secondary sources. So let's hope they didn't misquote.
And good luck figuring this out:
Abelard defines peccatum or sin as that which is worthy of God's damnation and must be repented of.[1] However, he also argues that the content of peccatum proprie (proper sin) is subjective: one is guilty of "scorn for God" if one does not do what one sincerely believes God requires one to do, even if one's beliefs are erroneous.[9][10] Abelard locates proper sin in one's consensus (consent) to perform an action,[ b][12] not the voluntas (desire or will) to do it and less so the actual operationem peccati or performance of the action.[13] He elaborates that "we consent to that which is not allowed when we do not at all draw back from carrying it out and are entirely ready to do it, if the chance is given."[11]
Voluntas is not a necessary precondition for sin,[14] since one can unwillingly consent to sin: "Sometimes we sin without any bad will at all."[15] He cites the hypothetical example of a servant who, in a state of duress, kills his "bloodthirsty master" in self-defence.[c] Abelard maintains that the servant did not willingly consent to killing his master, although his consent arose from a certain will to live.[18] Accordingly, Abelard submits that willing to do something in order to achieve something else (for instance, "willing to kill to live") is fundamentally different from willing to do something (simply "willing to kill"), nor does the former imply the latter.[19] To avoid this confusion, Abelard subsequently proposes that what is said to be "willed", as in the case of the servant, should be more precisely described as "endured".[20]
So what does Abelard mean by "consent"?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:39 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:35 pm
DYK ...
... that in his Ethics, Peter Abelard argued that infidels who sincerely believe themselves to be honouring God are not guilty of sin?
No complaint about the hook. But the article is crap.
Just some of the issues:
- The "publication history" is not a publication history.
- The "aftermath" section is actually a very poor, very insufficient reception section.
- The entire article dos not once refer to the actual text. There are quotes from the text, but these are taken from secondary sources. So let's hope they didn't misquote.
And good luck figuring this out:
Abelard defines peccatum or sin as that which is worthy of God's damnation and must be repented of.[1] However, he also argues that the content of peccatum proprie (proper sin) is subjective: one is guilty of "scorn for God" if one does not do what one sincerely believes God requires one to do, even if one's beliefs are erroneous.[9][10] Abelard locates proper sin in one's consensus (consent) to perform an action,[ b][12] not the voluntas (desire or will) to do it and less so the actual operationem peccati or performance of the action.[13] He elaborates that "we consent to that which is not allowed when we do not at all draw back from carrying it out and are entirely ready to do it, if the chance is given."[11]
Voluntas is not a necessary precondition for sin,[14] since one can unwillingly consent to sin: "Sometimes we sin without any bad will at all."[15] He cites the hypothetical example of a servant who, in a state of duress, kills his "bloodthirsty master" in self-defence.[c] Abelard maintains that the servant did not willingly consent to killing his master, although his consent arose from a certain will to live.[18] Accordingly, Abelard submits that willing to do something in order to achieve something else (for instance, "willing to kill to live") is fundamentally different from willing to do something (simply "willing to kill"), nor does the former imply the latter.[19] To avoid this confusion, Abelard subsequently proposes that what is said to be "willed", as in the case of the servant, should be more precisely described as "endured".[20]
So what does Abelard mean by "consent"?
Mmm. If the master had the servant let's say sell slaves at a slave market then the servant would have consented to commit that sin? I mean obviously the writing is terrible, but as the terrible writing whisperer that's what I am getting out of it.

Kinda like saying that if you live in the United States you consent to its actions or that if you weren't in the Resistance you were a collaborator

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:43 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:24 pm
This is the lead image of one of today's OTD articles. Guess what it depicts:
This totally not racist picture from 1900 depicts the Raid on Deerfield (T-H-L) by French and Native American troops under French command. Maybe I'm being racist here, but to me none of those attackers look French. And no, the English were not defenseless.
I also note that even though there is snow on the ground the Iroquois have to be shirtless, to prove they are savages

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:04 pm

OTD
1988 – The Troubles: In Operation Flavius (T-H-L), the Special Air Service killed three volunteers of the Provisional Irish Republican Army conspiring to bomb a parade of British military bands in Gibraltar.
Let's see how this holds up in view of the lead:
The trio were believed to be planning a car bomb attack on British military personnel in Gibraltar. They were shot dead while leaving the territory, having parked a car. All three were found to be unarmed, and no bomb was discovered in the car, leading to accusations that the British government had conspired to murder them.
On the day of the shootings, known IRA member Seán Savage was seen parking a car near the assembly area for the parade; fellow members Daniel McCann and Mairéad Farrell were seen crossing the border shortly afterwards. As SAS personnel moved to intercept the three, Savage split from McCann and Farrell and ran south. Two soldiers pursued Savage while two others approached McCann and Farrell. The soldiers reported seeing the IRA members make threatening movements when challenged, so the soldiers shot them multiple times. All three were found to be unarmed, and Savage's car did not contain a bomb, though a second car, containing explosives, was later found in Spain. Two months after the shootings, the documentary "Death on the Rock" was broadcast on British television. Using reconstructions and eyewitness accounts, it presented the possibility that the three IRA members had been unlawfully killed.
Several eyewitnesses recalled seeing the three shot without warning, with their hands up, or while they were on the ground. One witness, who told "Death on the Rock" he saw a soldier fire at Savage repeatedly while he was on the ground, retracted his statement at the inquest, prompting an inquiry into the programme which largely vindicated it.
Dissatisfied, the families took the case to the European Court of Human Rights. Delivering its judgement in 1995, the court found that the operation had been in violation of Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights as the authorities' failure to arrest the suspects at the border, combined with the information given to the soldiers, rendered the use of lethal force almost inevitable.
Was the hook written by the SAS's press office?

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:08 pm

On this day...
Images taken by Voyager 1 proved the existence of volcanoes on Io (pictured), a moon of Jupiter.
Well, not exactly. This makes it sound like it confirmed something that people suspected or were arguing about. In fact, they had no idea: it was a chance discovery found during examination of photos taken for navigational purposes.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:25 pm

... that Nicki Minaj, who receives a shoutout from Ben Shapiro in his song "Facts", congratulated him when it reached number one on the iTunes chart?
Talk about burying the lede. I've never heard of Ben Shapiro, and from the hook I assumed he was a musician. One musician congratulated another musician, so what? This could have been a much more interesting hook if they'd remembered that not everybody lives in the US of A.

As for the actual, erm, facts: Minaj "receives a shoutout from Ben Shapiro in his song". Is this Ben Shapiro's song? It seems to be a Tom MacDonald song that Ben Shapiro briefly appears in.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:25 pm
... that Nicki Minaj, who receives a shoutout from Ben Shapiro in his song "Facts", congratulated him when it reached number one on the iTunes chart?
Talk about burying the lede. I've never heard of Ben Shapiro, and from the hook I assumed he was a musician. One musician congratulated another musician, so what? This could have been a much more interesting hook if they'd remembered that not everybody lives in the US of A.

As for the actual, erm, facts: Minaj "receives a shoutout from Ben Shapiro in his song". Is this Ben Shapiro's song? It seems to be a Tom MacDonald song that Ben Shapiro briefly appears in.
There's probably something for a hook in here somewhere:
It was panned by critics, particularly for Shapiro's verse on the song and also for what they considered to be rage-baiting and Shapiro's hypocrisy for appearing on a rap song after having previously stated that rap music was not real music. Critics from Exclaim! and The Mary Sue described it as the worst song of all time.
But I guess that wouldn't be good advertising for this white supremacist crap.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:53 am

... that Bill Post helped invent the Pop-Tart?
Kudos to Thriley and HistoryTheorist for going with "boring but factual," when they could so easily have opted for something like: "... that Post invented Pop-Tarts to pip Post's Toast’em Pop Ups to the post?"

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:16 am

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:25 pm

/me stares blankly and wanders off

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 am

DYK ...
... that the 1993 Pacific hurricane season generated more than double the average number of major hurricanes, which have sustained winds of at least 111 mph (179 km/h)?
This is not an article. This is a medical symptom.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:39 am

rnu wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 am
DYK ...
... that the 1993 Pacific hurricane season generated more than double the average number of major hurricanes, which have sustained winds of at least 111 mph (179 km/h)?
This is not an article. This is a medical symptom.
Approved for DYK by Flux55 (T-C-L), who is now blocked as a sockpuppet. The nomination was approved nine minutes after it was posted, which ought to have raised a few red flags.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 am

Do You Know that on this day Wikipedia commemorated the failure of the first Dale Dike Reservoir (T-H-L), whose article can’t be bothered to even use consistent measures of volume?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:49 pm

DYK ...
... that Will Smith took part in the expedition that discovered the northern green anaconda (T-H-L)?
I know what you're thinking. This is one of those typical cases where DYK uses the fact that some obscure scientist happens to share a name with a famous person in order to mislead/misinform readers. Turns out it isn't. The Will Smith (T-H-L) in question is indeed the famous actor/musician. He was involved because he was filming for a National Geographic series called Pole to Pole with Will Smith.
So if it isn't that, what is wrong with it?
Well, from the article lead:
The species has been known by local Carib people as akayima for centuries, which was later adopted as its formal scientific name.
So what did the scientists do? They collected samples from green anacondas and analyzed them. To their surprise it turned out that there are two distinct species of green anacondas. What's more, even thought the two species seem to be virtually indistinguishable, the difference in their DNA is a whopping 5.5% (the difference between humans and apes is about 2%).
So the scientists did not discover a new species. They discovered that what they thought was one species are actually two species.
BTW. if you ever wondered what it is like to study anacondas:
National Geographic wrote:Still, there are other occupational hazards.
While counting scales for his research, Fry says that, sometimes, the most informative areas are the ones closes to the snake’s nether regions. At the same time, anacondas are wont to release their bowels while being handled.
“When you’ve got a big anaconda, it can put about a liter and a half of funk all over you,” he laughs. “But you’re living the dream!”

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:10 pm

DYK ...
... that in New Orleans, galleries differ from balconies because they feature supporting posts?
Horrible sources like this one. This should be a paragraph in Buildings and architecture of New Orleans (T-H-L) not a stand-alone article.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:22 pm

DYK ...
... that former football player Elbert E. Martin (T-H-L) (pictured) stopped an assassin from killing former US president Theodore Roosevelt?
Martin was Roosevelt's stenographer and unofficial bodyguard. "Former football player"? The guy played football in high school and college. The article has lots of irrelevant information. And from the poor way it is presented you can tell that it is only there to justify a stand-alone article for a person who is notable for a single event. Looks like someone read a book about the Attempted assassination of Theodore Roosevelt (T-H-L) and decided to write articles about everyone and everything involved and promote them to DYK. That person being DYK regular Bruxton (T-C-L) whose userboxes are a sight to behold.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:16 pm

DYK ...
... that after being named the general manager of the Minnesota Vikings for three years, Fran Foley (T-H-L) served in the position for just three months?
From the article:
After three seasons with the Chargers, Foley was hired by the Minnesota Vikings as vice president of player personnel on January 26, 2006.[7] He also became the team's de facto general manager, although he was not all-powerful in the team's personnel department, being part of what was called the "Triangle of Authority", which featured him, coach Brad Childress and executive Rob Brzezinski working together to make decisions.
He was fired after (less than) three months, but he was never named general manager.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:36 pm

DYK ...
... that Ettore Sottsass's design of the Olivetti Valentine (T-H-L) typewriter (example pictured) was inspired by the pop-art nudes of Tom Wesselmann?
NSFW
Yeah, I can totally see how that is inspired by pictures of naked women. I mean look at the thing, that's borderline pornographic.
What does the article say:
Sottsass cited the orange nipples and pink breasts in Tom Wesselmann's paintings of nudes as inspiration for the Valentine's orange ribbon caps[.]
:facepalm:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:47 pm

OTD
1864 – The Petite messe solennelle (T-H-L) was first performed in Paris, 34 years after Gioachino Rossini (pictured) retired as a composer.
Hm. Two obvious explanations:
a) For some reason it was only performed decades after it was composed.
b) Rossini came out of retirement and composed something for the first time in decades.
Actual explanation:
Rossini composed it 34 years after he retired from writing operas. The Petite messe solennelle is one of 150 compositions that Rossini wrote between 1857 and 1868 which Rossini called his Péchés de vieillesse (T-H-L) ("sins of old age"). It was composed in 1863 so right in the middle of this very active phase. He composed a few other pieces between his last opera William Tell (opera) (T-H-L) in 1829 and his Péchés de vieillesse although apparently not many.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:52 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:47 pm
OTD
1864 – The Petite messe solennelle (T-H-L) was first performed in Paris, 34 years after Gioachino Rossini (pictured) retired as a composer.
Hm. Two obvious explanations:
a) For some reason it was only performed decades after it was composed.
b) Rossini came out of retirement and composed something for the first time in decades.
Actual explanation:
Rossini composed it 34 years after he retired from writing operas. The Petite messe solennelle is one of 150 compositions that Rossini wrote between 1857 and 1868 which Rossini called his Péchés de vieillesse (T-H-L) ("sins of old age"). It was composed in 1863 so right in the middle of this very active phase. He composed a few other pieces between his last opera William Tell (opera) (T-H-L) in 1829 and his Péchés de vieillesse although apparently not many.
His standing on the pedestal himself didn’t interfere?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 pm

DYK ...
... that the Mosque of Ulmas al-Hajib (T-H-L) has the first "flat" muqarnas vault (pictured) in Cairo?
Interesting. So what is a "flat" muqarnas vault? The article gives zero information on that.
At Muqarnas (T-H-L) we learn that:
Muqarnas is typically applied to the undersides of domes, pendentives, cornices, squinches, arches and vaults and is often seen in the mihrab of a mosque.[14] It can also be applied across a flat surface as a decorative band or frieze.[3]

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:55 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 pm
DYK ...
... that the Mosque of Ulmas al-Hajib (T-H-L) has the first "flat" muqarnas vault (pictured) in Cairo?
Interesting. So what is a "flat" muqarnas vault? The article gives zero information on that.
At Muqarnas (T-H-L) we learn that:
Muqarnas is typically applied to the undersides of domes, pendentives, cornices, squinches, arches and vaults and is often seen in the mihrab of a mosque.[14] It can also be applied across a flat surface as a decorative band or frieze.[3]
The picture illustrates it nicely, though. You have a nearly flat-centered vault, if you take muquarnas pendents off. You can see something like this in western stone arch bridges, and in relieving arches.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:33 pm

DYK ...
... that as a high schooler in 2018, Logan O'Hoppe (T-H-L) caught a home-run ball at Yankee Stadium hit by visiting player Manny Machado and was televised throwing it back on the field?
Personal life
O'Hoppe attended a game at Yankee Stadium while still in high school in 2018 and was televised on YES Network catching a home run hit by Baltimore Orioles infielder Manny Machado. O'Hoppe threw the ball back onto the field from his second-deck seat, a common gesture among fans who catch visiting team home runs, and it landed near the infield.[3][41]
O'Hoppe's father, Michael, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in August 2021. After multiple rounds of chemotherapy, Michael was determined to be cancer-free in April 2022. The O'Hoppe family was present at Angel Stadium for Logan's MLB debut in September 2022.[42]

The guy is notable because he is a baseball pro.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:40 pm

OTD
Today Wikipedia commemorates the brave soldiers of the Latvian Legion (T-H-L), a formation of the Waffen-SS (T-H-L).
ERRORS wrote:Today's OTD
Not necessarily an error per se, but why is a remembrance day for SS soldiers being featured on the main page? Chaotıċ Enby (talk · contribs) 14:57, 16 March 2024 (UTC)

Why wouldn't it be? It's sourced, neutral, and rather interesting. ~~ AirshipJungleman29 (talk) 15:04, 16 March 2024 (UTC)
:nazis:

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:51 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:40 pm
OTD
Today Wikipedia commemorates the brave soldiers of the Latvian Legion (T-H-L), a formation of the Waffen-SS (T-H-L).
ERRORS wrote:Today's OTD
Not necessarily an error per se, but why is a remembrance day for SS soldiers being featured on the main page? Chaotıċ Enby (talk · contribs) 14:57, 16 March 2024 (UTC)
What the flying fuck!

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:37 am

Apparently one of the most significant achievements of 1952 in spaceflight (T-H-L), today’s featured list, is that some people who weren’t flying in space gave a name to a year that wasn’t 1952.
The same year, groundwork was laid for the launch of the first artificial satellite when, in October, the General Assembly of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) scheduled the International Geophysical Year for 1957–58.
The list also includes three Nazi flags, another thing that is very relevant to the year 1952, but thankfully they’re not on the main page. (I guess a rocket, like an uncapped footballer, has a nationality defined under Wikipedia’s interpretation of FIFA eligibility rules. Rockets may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.)

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:46 am

Did You Know That it's not true
that Latvian-Soviet artist Karlis Johansons (T-H-L) exhibited a skeletal tensegrity (T-H-L) form of the Schönhardt polyhedron (T-H-L) seven years before Erich Schönhardt (T-H-L)'s 1928 paper on its mathematics?
In fact the cited source does not mention Schönhardt, and it's immediately evident from the photo that the object isn't in the proper form: the struts are on the wrong sides of each other (e.g. the one in front actually needs to be in back). And never mind that tensegrity structures are by nature "skeletal".

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:03 am

DYK ...
... that while pretending to be a prince of Montenegro, Italian journalist Stefano Černetić (T-H-L) met with royalty and made Pamela Anderson a countess?
Did you know that Wikipedia endorses fraudulent titles of nobility on its Main Page?

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:01 am

On This Day in 1824,
American explorer Benjamin Morrell (T-H-L) departed Antarctica after a voyage later plagued by claims of fraud.
Did he, though? The claims of fraud extend to almost everything Morrell wrote about the voyage, down to the most basic details of time and place. In the article, the OTD fact is sourced only to Morrell's own narrative:
On March 19, Morrell "bade farewell to the cheerless shores of New South Greenland".
New South Greenland (T-H-L) does not exist, so the odds that Morrell set sail from there on March 19 are slim.

(Also, it was in 1823 that this didn't happen, not 1824.)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 am

From today's featured article
William Y. Slack (T-H-L) (August 1, 1816 – March 21, 1862) was an American lawyer, politician and soldier. A peacetime lawyer, Slack served in the Missouri General Assembly from 1842 to 1843 and saw combat in the Mexican–American War.
[...]
What is a "peacetime lawyer". I assume it just means that he was a lawyer, but served in the military during the Mexican-American War and the Civil War. So I guess he was "a peacetime lawyer and wartime soldier"?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:48 am

DYK ...
... that Woodrow Wilson (T-H-L), Hermann Collitz (T-H-L), and Carey Thomas (T-H-L) all taught at Bryn Mawr College before becoming presidents?
Presidents of what?
Woodrow Wilson: Princeton University and United States.
Hemann Collitz: Linguistic Society of America and Modern Language Association
Carey Thomas: Bryn Mawr College and National College Women's Equal Suffrage League
Not at all a misleading hook, right?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:54 am

DYK ...
... that My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy are not emo bands, according to Is This Band Emo (T-H-L)?
Did you know that Wikipedia quotes reliable sources quoting unreliable sources in articles on unreliable sources?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:10 pm

DYK ...
... that Alan Wace recruited Walter Abel Heurtley (T-H-L), a former military prison governor, to help manage the students of the British School at Athens?
Damn, what kind of students did they have that they had to bring in a "former military prison governor"?
The regular kind. Because Heurtley studied classics at Cambridge and worked as a teacher before the outbreak of WWI. During WWI he served some time as "deputy governor of the British military prison at Salonika in Greece". After WWI he studied archeology at Oxford.
After the war, Heurtley studied classical archaeology at Oriel College, Oxford, under Percy Gardner and with Stanley Casson, the assistant director of the British School at Athens (BSA). Heurtley followed Casson to the BSA, excavating in 1921 with him in Macedonia, and with the school's director, Alan Wace, at Mycenae. In 1923, Heurtley succeeded Casson as the BSA's assistant director, and also assumed the role of its librarian; he held both posts until his dismissal, on financial grounds, in 1932.
So let's try that hook again without trying to mislead. Did you know ...
... that Alan Wace made the Cambridge and Oxford educated scholar Walter Abel Heurtley the assistant director of the British School at Athens?

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Australia - hero or entirely peopled with criminals?

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:01 am
On This Day in 1824,
American explorer Benjamin Morrell (T-H-L) departed Antarctica after a voyage later plagued by claims of fraud.
Did he, though? The claims of fraud extend to almost everything Morrell wrote about the voyage, down to the most basic details of time and place. In the article, the OTD fact is sourced only to Morrell's own narrative:
On March 19, Morrell "bade farewell to the cheerless shores of New South Greenland".
New South Greenland (T-H-L) does not exist, so the odds that Morrell set sail from there on March 19 are slim.

(Also, it was in 1823 that this didn't happen, not 1824.)
Looked at that way, it also didn't occur in 1825, 1826, and (for completeness) didn't happen 1827 as well.* (And in a sadly lost opportunity for extra fun, a particularly relevant dramaboard post was closed just before it could be noted naughtysitewise.)

And, inevitably...

* I'll leave it open as to whether something that didn't happen in 1823 also didn't happen in 1822.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:39 am

greyed.out.fields wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:18 am
(And in a sadly lost opportunity for extra fun, a particularly relevant dramaboard post was closed just before it could be noted naughtysitewise.)
You've lost me. What's the relevance?

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:19 am

Did You Kare That
... that one Baltimore Orioles player compared the 2024 Major League Baseball jerseys to knockoffs from TJ Maxx?
Well, lots of people hate this year's uniforms, and there's probably plenty of much ruder comparisons out there that could have been quoted. But 2024 Major League Baseball uniform controversy (T-H-L) has the tell-tale sign of a hugely inflated article, namely, that the references section is at least as long as the body of the article. And in the end, as soon as play really gets underway, everyone is going to forget about this until next year, when it will be announced that there will be a new supplier.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:21 pm

DYK ...
... that Halley's Comet (pictured) is a living creature in several works of fiction?
This is written like Halley's Comet is a fictional entity. How about:
"... that in several works of fiction Halley's Comet is represented as a living creature?"

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:39 am

DYK ...
... that Alfred de Laage de Meux (T-H-L) received the rank of brevet without completing aviation school?
From the article:
First serving as a cavalryman and second lieutenant for a separate regiment in World War I, he then entered the Service Aéronautique, serving as a machine gunner and observer, before receiving the rank Brevet.
He became a pilot on March 22, 1915, becoming one of several aviators to receive the rank Brevet without attending aviation school.[1]
Note that in the hook as well as both quotes "brevet"/"Brevet" is wiki linked to Brevet (military) (T-H-L). Just glancing at that article shows that this is complete bullshit. There is no such rank as "brevet". What does the source say?
He served first as a gunner, but in his spare time, somehow taught himself to fly. He received his pilot's wings on March 22, 1915, thus becoming one of the few aviators of the war to receive his "brevet militaire" -- the French military pilot rating -- without ever attending a flying school.
To be more precise he received his "brevet de pilote militaire". The primary meaning of the French "brevet" is "certificate"/"license". The wikilink has nothing to do with this use of the word.

Did you know ...
... that you don't need basic reading comprehension skills to have your articles featured on the Wikipedia Main Page?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 am

:DYK that Salar del Huasco was apparently de-listed as a park, but I can't find anything about that in the article

Háčky
Contributor

Unread post by Háčky » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:15 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:21 am
:DYK that Salar del Huasco was apparently de-listed as a park, but I can't find anything about that in the article
It’s there in the last section:
The Salar del Huasco National Park was declared on 5 June 2010[15] only to be reversed in February 2014.[53]
The second source, “Ecological features of Telmatobius chusmisensis (Anura: Telmatobiidae), a poorly known species from northern Chile”, says:
Although the Huasco salt pan was declared a national park in February 2010, in February 2014 this was reversed by the Chilean Government, and there is strong pressure to extract water and mineral salts.
This contradicts the other source regarding the date of the declaration, so who knows if or when the reversal happened.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:56 am

From the Salar del Huasco talk page:
==Please Tell Us Why It Was Made Into A Park And Why It Was Revoked==

Thank you Billyshiverstick (talk) 03:30, 25 March 2024 (UTC)
I don't know whether DYKers don't realize or just don't care how frustrating it is for the reader when the hook raises questions that the article doesn't answer.

An editor responding to Billyshiverstick did a bit of research and found the reason for the revocation ("the process of creation lacked Indigenous people’s participation"), and also that it was redesignated a national park in 2023. This information would have been in the article already if DYK was at all the reader-facing project it pretends to be.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:56 am
From the Salar del Huasco talk page:
==Please Tell Us Why It Was Made Into A Park And Why It Was Revoked==

Thank you Billyshiverstick (talk) 03:30, 25 March 2024 (UTC)
I don't know whether DYKers don't realize or just don't care how frustrating it is for the reader when the hook raises questions that the article doesn't answer.

An editor responding to Billyshiverstick did a bit of research and found the reason for the revocation ("the process of creation lacked Indigenous people’s participation"), and also that it was redesignated a national park in 2023. This information would have been in the article already if DYK was at all the reader-facing project it pretends to be.
Ha! Like that's even a question. Of course the DYK crowd doesn't care. They care about getting credit and in some cases about promoting people/products they're fans of.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 pm

From today's featured article:
Felix of Burgundy (T-H-L) (died 647 or 648) was a saint and the first bishop of the kingdom of the East Angles.
Wikipedia's Main Page has endorsed claims of miracles, so I guess endorsing claims of sainthood is just par for the course.