CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Háčky
Contributor
kołdry

Re: CFdJ - Clusterfucque du jour

Unread post by Háčky » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 pm

Did you know that a common English word has the meaning that’s commonly used?
... that "gig" in "gig economy (T-H-L)" comes from the slang term for individual appearances by performing artists?
What other hooks could we write with this formula?
  • … that “football” in “nuclear football” comes from the term for a ball used in a popular American sport?
  • … that “lollipop” in “lollipop man” comes from the term for a hard candy mounted on a stick?
  • … that “soap” in “soap opera” comes from the term for a cleaning product?

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:52 pm

I bet they’d be hype to approve those hooks. Someone should propose ’em and write a blog post about it.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:29 pm

DYK ...
... that Augustine of Hippo's Harmony of the Gospels (T-H-L) is technically not a Gospel harmony?
There is nothing technical about it. It just isn't. A Gospel harmony (T-H-L) is a narrative (or a tabular synopsis) of the four gospels that tries to get rid of all the inconsistencies and give a single "harmonious" account. Augustine's Harmony of the Gospels (De consensu evangelistarum; literally. 'On the Agreement of the Evangelists') is a theoretical work that tries to show that there are no real inconsistencies between the gospels. It contains a harmony of the nativity as an example of what a consistent narrative can look like.
BTW, On the Trinity (T-H-L) is not a trinity, and The City of God (T-H-L) is not a city. Weird, right?

Apart from the bad hook, the article is fine. Except it is completely missing any kind of critical section which should be the minimum for a 1600 year old work of theology.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:36 pm

DYK ...
... that Nelson Santana (T-H-L) supposedly predicted the date of his death?
The article is even more uncritical, if you can believe that:
He believed that he would die at Christmas time, and is believed to have predicted the date of his death. On Christmas Eve of 1964, Santana died at the age of nine as a result of infections caused by the amputation.
The article is a crappy, utterly uncritical article based on crappy uncritical sources that would fit right in in a crappy Catholic "Encyclopedia" by a small religious publisher that can't afford (marginally) competent writers.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:41 pm

Another reminder that OTD doesn't even pretend to aim for quality (the article in question is Marburg's Bloody Sunday (T-H-L)):
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Main_Page/Errors&oldid=1199638213#Errors_in_%22On_this_day%22 wrote:"shot at protestors" is strange phrasing for a massacre that killed 9 to 13 and wounded 60. I would suggest any of "killed 9 to 13 protestors", "killed at least 9 protestors", or "opened fire on protestors". -- Tamzin[cetacean needed] (they|xe) 00:52, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

Article doesn't provide a source to verify the nine people killed. I don't see much of a change from "shot at protestors" and "opened fired on protestors" but won't oppose someone else changing it. Z1720 (talk) 01:06, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

Between that and a {{cn}} for the Slovene count of 11, perhaps this article should be swapped with another. -- Tamzin[cetacean needed] (they|xe) 01:59, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

OTD is not as strict as DYK or ITN and often runs articles with a couple CN tags in them. Large sections would have to be uncited for it to be deemed ineligible. Z1720 (talk) 02:10, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

That seems like an institutional failing on OTD's part, not something that ERRORS should enable. OTD has the most articles to pick from of any section of the Main Page. Surely "doesn't make a key assertion in the lede without evidence" and "doesn't have unaddressed maintenance tags" isn't too much to ask of an entry. -- Tamzin[cetacean needed] (they|xe) 03:00, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

Agree. History is about current events no longer current. -- Sca (talk) 14:18, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

There were no shortage of replacements for today, so I've minus Replaced this one with National Recording Registry which is a Featured Article. Black Kite (talk) 15:33, 27 January 2024 (UTC)

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:52 am

Did you know...
... that before discovering a rudimentary audio workstation on his mother's phone, the French musician Lewis OfMan (T-H-L) wanted to be a perfumer?
This hook is synthesized from two separate statements by the article subject. In this interview, Monsieur OfMan says:
Basically, I was really into video games when I was a kid. My siblings are way older than I, so I would find myself with my two parents and sometimes it can be a little bit boring. So I would take my mother's phone because she had some video games on it and one of them was a really fun video game where you were making some tracks and some little musical loops. I would do my first tracks on this. And after I worked in GarageBand, I started a band with my friend I had at the time. I was like nine years old and we would take the back of CDs and sing the track list to make it sound like English.
And in another interview, he says:
Actually, I wanted to be a perfume creator back in the days, but it was too many mathematical studies, I don’t like theory.
Article author Launchballer has evidently put his own interpretation on the phrase "back in the days," and somewhat implausibly has M. OfMan giving up his perfumery studies in disgust before the age of nine.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:12 pm

DYK ...
... that a tattoo on the anus of Brazilian singer Anitta ultimately led to inquiries to investigate the use of public funds in artists' concerts?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:25 pm

DYK ...
... that in 2023, Ralph Nader founded the newspaper Winsted Citizen (T-H-L) in his hometown of Winsted, Connecticut, where he delivered papers as a boy?
From the article:
It was founded with financial assistance from politician and Winsted resident Ralph Nader.
Journalist Andy Thibault served as the paper's editor and publisher while Ralph Nader, a native of Winsted who delivered newspapers as a boy, agreed to provide financial support for the first edition,[3][1] which amounted to $15,000.[4]
A month after publishing the first paper, Thibault said Nader failed to provide funding as initially promised for the paper's second edition. According to Thibault, Nader agreed to cover 75% of the cost, with the newspaper covering the rest. However, the money had not been delivered by the time of the second edition's printing. Instead, at that time Nader offered to give a $8,000 loan, which Thibault said the paper would not accept.[8]
The Winsted Citizen's about page refers to Nader as "Founding Donor".

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:34 pm

DYK ...
... that after fleeing the Spanish Civil War to Venezuela, Spanish anarchist Concha Liaño (T-H-L) became a supporter of Hugo Chávez?
According to the article she left Spain for France in 1939 and moved to Venezuela from there in 1948. There, according to the article, she became a supporter of Chávez after the Bolivarian Revolution (T-H-L) (1999-).
So we have one glaring factual error: she did not "[flee] the Spanish Civil War to Venezuela".
And then we have one ridiculously misleading implicature: the wording suggests that she became a supporter of Chávez shortly after leaving Spain, not 60 years later.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:00 pm

Today's Featured Article blurb, on Ancient Egyptian literature (T-H-L): Ancient Egyptian literature was written in the Egyptian language from Ancient Egypt's pharaonic period until the end of Roman domination.

...after which point they wrote in Greek or Latin instead. Ming thinks maybe this sentence is supposed to be saying that this material consists of that which was written in the ancient Egyptian language, as opposed to the contemporary Greek in the Ptolemaic period or Latin during Roman occupation. It's not a good sign when the first sentence is a basic failure to identify the topic.

The article itself inserts the following clarification: "It represents the oldest corpus of Egyptian literature." Do tell. Anyway, the thing is a huge hodgepodge that works hard at NOT giving you a handle on the stuff.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:12 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:34 pm
DYK ...
... that after fleeing the Spanish Civil War to Venezuela, Spanish anarchist Concha Liaño (T-H-L) became a supporter of Hugo Chávez?
According to the article she left Spain for France in 1939 and moved to Venezuela from there in 1948. There, according to the article, she became a supporter of Chávez after the Bolivarian Revolution (T-H-L) (1999-).
So we have one glaring factual error: she did not "[flee] the Spanish Civil War to Venezuela".
Some people have a very loose interpretation of fleeing. It was just a brief stop-over in France, not even a decade.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:52 pm

DYK ...
... that Whitley Furniture Galleries (T-H-L) would increase the population of Zebulon more than eightfold when hosting an automobile giveaway in 1936?
From the article:
Their second giveaway in 1935 became their most successful, which saw between 7–15 thousand people from across Eastern North Carolina gather in the town of only one thousand at the time, to watch the business' ticket drawing with the top prize being a new automobile.
Looks like Johnson524 (T-C-L), DrOrinScrivello (T-C-L), DirtyHarry991 (T-C-L) and Wugapodes (T-C-L) have no idea what "population" means.(*) WP:CIR?
:facepalm:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:49 pm

DYK ...
... that prehistoric women may have had unique advantages over men in endurance hunting due to the positive effects of estrogen on muscle development?
The hook is based on an interesting article in Scientific American by Cara Ocobock and Sarah Lacy: The Theory That Men Evolved to Hunt and Women Evolved to Gather Is Wrong. Unfortunately it is based on the by far weakest part of the article. Ocobock and Lacy challenge the "Man the Hunter, Woman the Gatherer" model of prehistoric societies. They do this partly by referring to archeological evidence that shows no difference with regard to repetitive stress injuries (like from throwing spears) until 45,000 years ago. Another prong of their argument is that most of the societies where hunting has survived to modern times have female hunters.
But a large part of the paper is based on speculation. It is known that estrogen has positive effects on endurance while testosterone has positive effects on strength. Based on this they speculate that female hunters would have had an advantage in endurance hunting. The hypothesis is interesting, but far from proven. In huge parts the paper reads more like the outline of a research program than a report on research results. Ocobock and Lacy freely admit that a lot more study is needed. Another weakness of the article is that it seems to do the same thing the authors claim the proponents of the "Man the Hunter, Woman the Gatherer" model do, namely dismiss evidence that does not fit their theory. For example they counter the argument that men beat women in marathons by pointing out that women are often equal or superior to men in "ultraendurance events such as the more than 260-mile Montane Spine foot race through England and Scotland, the 21-mile swim across the English Channel and the 4,300-mile Trans Am cycling race across the U.S." I seriously doubt that prehistoric hunters followed their prey for 260 miles. There is also a noticeable difference in repetitive stress injuries in more "recent" times (45,000 to 10,000 years ago). Here they point out that this is the time where new hunting tools like bow and arrow, hunting nets and fishing hooks were developed and speculate that women used these while men used the more physically taxing tools like spears. But this of course is pure speculation at this point.
In sum the article is very interesting and points out import evidence, but the part about the positive effects of estrogen on endurance hunting is speculation. It is an interesting hypothesis that deserves thorough future study (research in athletics like in medicine is massively male biased). But ultimately it is a biomedical claim. And we're not talking about a review study. We're talking about two researchers writing about their current research and their hypotheses. Not what Wikipedia is for.

There are two smaller issues of the article that rub me the wrong way.
Firstly, it refers to Friedrich Engels (T-H-L) as "Frederich Engels". It is OK to anglicize his name, but in that case it would be "Frederick (T-H-L)", not "Frederich".
Secondly, the caption for the painting La femme Préhistorique by James Tissot (T-H-L) says "Popular depiction of Antediluvian women by James Tissot". Who the hell writes "antediluvian"? And if you do why the hell capitalize and link to Antediluvian (T-H-L)? Was the article written by a 19th century pastor who dabbles with science in his free time?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:16 pm

rnu wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:31 pm
OTD ...
1377 – Gregory XI (T-H-L), the last Avignon pope, entered Rome after a four-month journey from Avignon, returning the papacy to its original city.
Gregory XI was the last Avignon pope who is currently considered legitimate by the Catholic church. The Catholic church has a tendency to make these pope/anti-pope things look much clearer than they were in reality. This can be seen from the fact that the Western Schism (T-H-L) was resolved by setting all claimants* aside and elect a new pope, Pope Martin V (T-H-L).

* The Roman claimant Pope Gregory XII (T-H-L), the Avignonese claimant Antipope Benedict XIII (T-H-L) and the Pisan claimant Antipope John XXIII (T-H-L). Gregory resigned, the others were deposed.
DYK ...
... that King Charles III wanted his illegitimate son Lancelot to become a bishop but the pope forbade it?
The king in question is Charles III of Navarre (T-H-L). The DYK crowd totally didn't write it this way to make readers think this was about Charles III (T-H-L), right? Right???
Why did I quote the OTD post? Because we may be facing a battle royale between the DYK screw-ups and the OTD screw-ups. The pope in question is Antipope Benedict XIII (T-H-L) the Avignose claimant who according to OTD wasn't a pope. BTW, yes Benedict XIII originally refused to let Lancelot become Bishop of Pamplona (T-H-L), but because he needed the support against Gregory XII (T-H-L) he eventually agreed to let Lancelot have everything except the episcopal consecration (T-H-L) and the official title of Bishop. Instead he was made vicar general (T-H-L) and apostolic administrator (T-H-L) and later Latin patriarch of Alexandria (T-H-L) (a titular see). And Pamplona had no bishop until after Lancelot's death.

Also, the article is, apart from one minor detail, based on a single source.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 pm

DYK ...
... that Kirk Raymond Jones (T-H-L) became the first person to survive going over Niagara Falls without safety equipment, then died after going over it again in an inflatable ball?
And did you know that both oak barrels and metal barrels are safety equipment?

The article contains this marvelous sentence:
Eight weeks before going over Niagara Falls, Jones, who had been fired from his father Raymond's car gauge manufacturing plant, went on a trip to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls with his parents, who planned to retire in Oregon after the trip.
So he was fired by his father then went on holiday with him? Hm. From the source:
His parents planned to retire to Oregon when they returned from Niagara Falls, so the journey had a melancholy feel for Jones. He had lost his job working at their gauge-manufacturing business when they sold the plant. Now, he was losing them.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:57 pm

OTD
1941 – Second World War: Free French and British forces (aircraft pictured) began the Battle of Keren (T-H-L) to capture the strategic town of Keren in Italian East Africa.
Battle of Keren (T-H-L) says the battle started 3 February 1941.
:de:Schlacht von Keren (T-H-L), :fr:Bataille de Keren (T-H-L) and :it:Battaglia di Cheren (T-H-L) say the battle started 2 February 1941.
:nl:Slag bij Keren (T-H-L) says the battle started 5 February 1941.

The body of Battle of Keren (T-H-L) uses "5–8 February" as immediate subheading of "Battle". From the text:
At 08:00 on 1 February 1941, Gazelle Force was held up in crossing the Baraka River about 60 km (40 mi) from Keren, where the Ponte Mussolini had been blown and the approaches to the river mined.[12] By noon on 2 February, they were across the river and winding up the Ascidera Valley, until brought to a halt at the Dongolaas Gorge, about 6 km (4 mi) from Keren, where the road had been blocked by the Italians, who blew down the overhanging crags, to fill the gorge with boulders and rocks.
The 11th Indian Infantry Brigade, (4th Indian Division) arrived on 3 February, reconnoitred the next day and attacked on the left of the gorge on 5 February. The 2nd Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders fought their way to the top of the ridge called feature 1616, in front of Sanchil and on the night of 6/7 February, the 3/14th Punjab Regiment passed through and advanced onto Brig's Peak. The Indians were counter-attacked by elements of the 65th Infantry Division "Granatieri di Savoia" (Grenadiers of Savoy) who forced them back towards Cameron Ridge, which was being consolidated by (Wellesley's) the 1st Battalion/6th Rajputana Rifles. The ridge was overlooked in front by Sanchil, to the left by Mount Sammana and from behind by other mountains along the Ascidera Valley. The Cameron Highlanders and Rajputana Rifles clung on, despite frequent attacks and having to carry food, water and ammunition up hill for 500 m (1,600 ft), across exposed terrain.[13]
I guess battles are fuzzy?

By the way a lot (most?) of the "British forces" were Indian or Sudanese, but hey that's not really important, is it?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:41 pm

DYK ...
... that Megan Barton-Hanson (T-H-L) dated her costars from Love Island 4, Celebs Go Dating, and Ex on the Beach, but not Hey Tracey! (T-H-L)?
Welcome to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia tabloid that anyone can edit.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:06 pm

Not a CfDJ, but it seems to fit here. I was perusing List of people who were beheaded (T-H-L), as one does, and I came across an interesting entry:
Henry Laurens (1792) – decapitated posthumously in accordance with his wishes and then burned on a funeral pyre by his son and slaves.
I did not know that but I guess that's ok, because it's not true. Laurens asked for his body to be burned but no mention is made of decapitation. It is elsewhere claimed that this is the first cremation of a white man in the US, but this is almost certainly not true. It is perhaps the first known case of someone in the US directing in writing that their body be burned but I'm not sure how exhaustive a survey has been done.

[EDIT TO ADD:] I wasn't considering the definition of "in the US" when I wrote that and was only thinking of the geographic area. That reduced timeframe changes things, but I would still stick with the written direction caveat.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:14 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:06 pm
Not a CfDJ, but it seems to fit here. I was perusing List of people who were beheaded (T-H-L), as one does, and I came across an interesting entry:
Henry Laurens (1792) – decapitated posthumously in accordance with his wishes and then burned on a funeral pyre by his son and slaves.
I did not know that but I guess that's ok, because it's not true. Laurens asked for his body to be burned but no mention is made of decapitation. It is elsewhere claimed that this is the first cremation of a white man in the US, but this is almost certainly not true. It is perhaps the first known case of someone in the US directing in writing that their body be burned but I'm not sure how exhaustive a survey has been done.

[EDIT TO ADD:] I wasn't considering the definition of "in the US" when I wrote that and was only thinking of the geographic area. That reduced timeframe changes things, but I would still stick with the written direction caveat.
Cremation was taboo in Christianity for a long time because of the idea of bodily resurrection. It still is discouraged or outright forbidden in some denominations. It took until the late 19th century for the cremation movement to take off. So it is not that implausible that Laurens was really the first white man to be cremated in North America. If you do an internet search for "Henry Laurens" one of the things you repeatedly find is that he was the first "white" or "caucasian" to be cremated in the US. It is also supported by the source used in his article. As well as a 19th century book about cremation that the source references. However I found no evidence whatsoever that he was decapitated first. From the source:
Like cremation in Europe, cremation came to the United States as renaissance rather than revolution. A number of North American Indian groups had practiced cremation for centuries, and at least one notable non-Indian was cremated in the colonial period. Colonel Henry Laurens, a prominent merchant-planter from South Carolina and president of the Continental Congress, was the first Caucasian cremated in the United States. A classics scholar, Laurens learned of cremation through his studies of Greece and Rome. But unlike Pliny's Greek warriors, who cremated in order to prevent the desecration of fallen comrades by enemy forces, Laurens chose cremation out of a fear of being buried alive. His daughter had been pronounced dead after being stricken by smallpox and was close to being interred when she suddenly sprang back to life. Laurens directed in his will that his corpse should be burned, and he threatened to witthould his considerable estate if his kin insisted on burial. Whether his children were motivated by respect for their father's wishes or by a pecuniary interest in his estate is not known, but they did not bury their father, who was cremated in the open air at his Charleston estate in 1792.
Prothero, Stephen R. (2001). Purified by fire: a history of cremation in America, p. 8-9
However I did find an unfortunately unreferenced account of the actual cremation in Charleston Living Magazine: Tim Lowry: The Final Rest of Henry Laurens:
At any rate, on the appointed day, a funeral pyre was erected on the banks of the Cooper River. Mr. Laurens’ mortal remains were laid atop and a flaming torch was touched to the tinder.
Again, multiple accounts of the story include or exclude certain details, but as I heard it in a retelling . . .
The fire burned high and hot. However, the human body is largely composed of water, and an unexpected quantity of liquid dripped down upon the wood and extinguished the flames. All of a sudden, Mr. Laurens’ head broke loose from the remainder of his corpse and with hair aflame, rolled down the river bank, into the water, fizzling out among the reeds. Some poor enslaved servant was required to extract the head from the pluff mud so that it could be buried with the rest of the charred remains at Mepkin Plantation.
This may have led to the erroneous idea that Laurens was decapitated before cremation. The article also quotes Laurens' testament:
“I come to the disposal of my own person. I solemnly enjoin it on my son [Henry Jr.] as an indispensable duty, that as soon as he conveniently can after my decease, he cause my Body to be wrapped in twelve yards of tow cloth, and burnt until it be entirely and totally consumed. And then collecting my bones, deposit them where ever he shall think proper.”
Again, there is no mention of decapitation.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:37 am

DYK ...
... that after Joseph S. Bartley (T-H-L) was sentenced to twenty years in prison for embezzlement, he tried to have himself declared legally dead?
DYK crowd: Ha, ha, weird, right?
Reader: So what was this about? How did he get this idea? How did he justify it?
DYK crowd: What? Uhm, ... Who cares? We're the DYK crowd we don't try to understand stuff, actually we don't care about stuff. We just want Main Page hooks. If possible weird ones. So, ha, ha, weird, right?

Fine. What does the article say?
In November, Bartley attempted to have himself declared legally dead, on the grounds that he was now a convicted criminal, so that he could not be a co-defendant in a state lawsuit attempting to recover money from his associates.
Hm. OK. What does the source say? I can't access the source, but in the nomination discussion the hook was supported by a quote:
A novel petition has been filed in the District Court by Joseph Bartley, ex-State Treasurer (...) The petition declares that Bartley cannot be sued, since he is dead, having been sentenced to the penitentiary for twenty years"
Hold on! That doesn't say he "attempted to have himself declared legally dead". That says that he declared that he was dead. Obviously he meant Civil death (T-H-L).
But who cares. Ha, ha, weird, right?

Zoll
Regular

Unread post by Zoll » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:27 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:37 am
DYK ...
... that after Joseph S. Bartley (T-H-L) was sentenced to twenty years in prison for embezzlement, he tried to have himself declared legally dead?
Reader: So what was this about? How did he get this idea? How did he justify it?
DYK crowd: What? Uhm, ... Who cares? We're the DYK crowd we don't try to understand stuff, actually we don't care about stuff. We just want Main Page hooks. If possible weird ones. So, ha, ha, weird, right?

In November, Bartley attempted to have himself declared legally dead, on the grounds that he was now a convicted criminal, so that he could not be a co-defendant in a state lawsuit attempting to recover money from his associates.
Hm. OK. What does the source say? I can't access the source, but in the nomination discussion the hook was supported by a quote:
A novel petition has been filed in the District Court by Joseph Bartley, ex-State Treasurer (...) The petition declares that Bartley cannot be sued, since he is dead, having been sentenced to the penitentiary for twenty years"
Hold on! That doesn't say he "attempted to have himself declared legally dead". That says that he declared that he was dead. Obviously he meant Civil death (T-H-L).
You can go to the NYC Times own archives, all articles older then 70 years are free to access

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:39 pm

Zoll wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:27 pm
rnu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:37 am
DYK ...

You can go to the NYC Times own archives, all articles older then 70 years are free to access
https://www.nytimes.com/1897/12/01/arch ... gally.html
Full text is unavailable for this digitized archive article. Subscribers may view the full text of this article in its original form through TimesMachine.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:05 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:39 pm
Full text is unavailable for this digitized archive article. Subscribers may view the full text of this article in its original form through TimesMachine.
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 12-03-42 NEBRASKA'S TREASURY LOSS. The Thieving Treasurer Claims to be Legally Dead.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:15 pm

DYK ...
... that aviator Paul Pavelka (T-H-L) was killed after being thrown and stampeded by a horse?
Doesn't a stampede require multiple animals? How about "trampled"?
This is a "good article". Let's see.
He first served as a sailor on the USS Maryland (ACR-8) after joining the United States Army, before serving in World War I, serving under his regiment in the Second Battle of Champagne.
He was a sailor in the Army? Nope, he was in the Navy.
He served under his regiment? I assume that he served in his regiment.
Also notice, that there is no explanation what regiment he fought in.
His father re-married, and after disliking his stepmother, Pavelka left his family in Madison.[6]
I know, "post hoc ergo propter hoc" is a fallacy. Still I assume that he left because he disliked her.
Pavelka then operated at a mental health hospital in New York, before re-locating to the Western United States by train, working at a cattle and sheep ranch in Montana.[3][1][8]
He operated at a mental health hospital? How about he worked at a mental health hospital.
In 1910, Pavelka went to the Panama Canal Zone, before moving south and climbing the Andes as part of an expedition that killed his counterparts.[10]
His counterparts???
Pavelka became a sailor at the age of twenty, circumnavigating by boat across the Pacific Ocean, stopping in London, and coming back to New York City before 1912.[3][9]
"Circum-" means "around", not "across". And how did he get to London by crossing the Pacific? Maybe he circumnavigated the Earth starting by crossing the Pacific? Also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that he traveled on a ship, not a boat.
He was once involved in a shipwreck, walking across South America.[11]
How do you get involved in a shipwreck while walking? Well, he walked across South America after being involved in a ship wreck.
He then joined the United States Army, serving on the USS Maryland (ACR-8),[10] before being discharged and being transported to France in 1914 prior to the beginning of World War I.[10][12]
Again, Navy, not Army. And he was transported to France after being discharged?
Pavelka first entered as a member of the French 170th Infantry Regiment and the Army of Counani in October 1914, before joining the French Foreign Legion in France after the army disbanded.[10][13][14]
He entered what as a member of the French 170th Infantry Regiment and the Army of Counani?
He took part in aviation school on December 10, 1915, joining the Lafayette Escadrille in August 1916 shortly after completing training.[13]
He took part in school? He didn't attend it?
On August 13, 1917, the engine in the Nieuport 16 plane Pavelka was flying caught fire. Pavelka crashed the plane into a swamp after attempting to keep the flames away from its cockpit.[14][6] He fled from the plane before it exploded and was shelled by German forces.[23] On October 30, 1916, while part of the Lafayette Escadrille, Pavelka was awarded the Croix de Guerre and cited for combating enemy forces by French general Maurice Sarrail,[3][19][24] and promoted to sergeant rank.[24]
Doesn't October 1916 come before August 1917?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:24 pm

DYK ...
... that zanana (T-H-L) can refer to a nagging wife in Egypt, or to Israeli drones flying overhead in Gaza?
This should probably be a wiktionary entry. The background section is so long that it feels like the focus of the article with the information about "zanana" feeling more like a footnote.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:17 pm

DYK ...
... that teenage Inuk interpreter Qalaherriaq (T-H-L) (pictured) drew an accurate map of northwest Greenland while using a pencil for the first time?
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
Note that this is only occurs in the article in a quote:
When asked by Captain Ommanney to sketch the coast, he took up a pencil, a thing he had never seen before, and delineated the coast-line from Pikierlu to Cape York, with astonishing accuracy, making marks to indicate all the islands, remarkable cliffs, glaciers, and hills, and giving all their native names
C. R. Markham, Arctic Geography and Ethnology, 1875
Obviously that is bad enough. What is worse is that the quote was taken from an article whose entire point is to criticize this view. Some quotes:
The article thus concludes by arguing that while Kallihirua certainly did contribute various types of geographical
knowledge during this encounter, to label him as the sole author of these maps would be a problematic act of “cartographic ventriloquism.”
A note which appeared in the 1948 edition of the journal Imago Mundi set the tone for how much of the scholarship on Inuit mapmaking has been conceptually framed. Implying that Inuit have historically been able to produce more advanced cartographic representations in comparison to indigenous peoples from other areas of the world, the note reads [...]
However, it is important to recognize that such assertions have been firmly critiqued. With the exception of the Tunumiit community mentioned above, archaeologists, historical anthropologists, and ethno-historians have questioned
the notion that the indigenous peoples from other areas of the Arctic possess the innate European-style mapmaking capabilities that have so frequently been ascribed to them.
Following the decolonial insights above, and explaining that Arctic communities have historically possessed entirely different cosmological views of the world, Claudio Aporta has argued that “traditionally, the Inuit have used a method of geographic representation that greatly differs from map views of the territory employed in most western societies” (Aporta 2006, 223)
Viewing maps in this way – that is, as the product of prolonged periods of dialogue through which commensurabil
ity is built – calls into question those assertions made above that Inuit (and by implication many other non-European
peoples) possess an innate ability to produce cartographic representations that are immediately commensurate with
European mapping traditions. Instead, creating the illusion of an exceptional indigenous cartographic ability was in fact a rhetorical device deployed by Western explorers in attempts to bolster their own self-representation as credible and reliable explorers. The various historical descriptions of indigenous Arctic peoples contributing to the drawing of ‘astonishingly accurate’ maps should, therefore, be recognized as examples of carefully constructed narratives produced by those Western explorer(s) who narrated them.
It is crucial to recognize two things here, however. Firstly, the hand-drawn map is certainly not an example of “mapping Inuktitut” as described by Fossett (1996) and Aporta (2006) or indeed of Ancestral mapping as described by
Lucchesi (2018). It has clearly been drawn following European cartographic conventions of Cartesian spatial accuracy and thus not in a style that conveys Inuit conceptualizations of the Greenland landscape. Therefore, it is the case that, while Kallihirua may have assisted in the creation of this map, contrary to Markham’s claims he certainly did not do so alone. The second point to note is how similar Markham’s words are to those of William Parry. Referring to the map’s “astonishing accuracy” and “remarkable” detail, Markham is almost repeating verbatim the sentiments that had been expressed by Parry during his cartographic encounter with Iligliuk. The repetition of this phrasing should, therefore, signal the critical approach
that must be taken when analysing this map from a critical indigenous cartographies’ perspective. The map featured in the diary, and the description of its creation, must be viewed as manifestations of Markham’s desire to convey a degree of scientific authority over the Greenlandic landscape
The account of Kallihirua drawing this map must, therefore, be viewed as a prime example of the ways in which explorers manipulated the commensurability of the indigenous knowledge being shared in order to secure and advance their standing as scientific practitioners.
The map provides further evidence for the fact that claims of European-style cartographic capabilities attributed to Inuit were often little more than rhetorical devices deployed by explorers in order to convey their intellectual authority over the Arctic regions.
It is clear that cartographic encounters involved appropriating indigenous knowledge – both for colonial
endeavours and for individualistic agendas – and hence cannot be interpreted as the simple transference of information from indigenous peoples into European scientific understandings that the published accounts would have us believe. It is, thus, vital to be mindful of the subtle yet pervasive processes of narrative creation which were constantly at play within these accounts or else we may run the risk of misrepresenting the complex and unequal relationships formed during these important moments of intercultural exchange.
It is one thing to take a western based colonialist narrative at face-value. But using an article that criticizes this narrative and then stripping everything critical away and repeat the colonialist narrative takes some special "skill". This is just shameful.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:49 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:15 pm
DYK ...
... that aviator Paul Pavelka (T-H-L) was killed after being thrown and stampeded by a horse?
It's worse than that. He was neither "stampeded" nor trampled, but crushed.
Patch.com wrote:Pavelka later volunteered for duty on the Macedonian front in Greece, where he was decorated for numerous successful missions. On Nov. 11, 1917 — exactly one year before the Great War ended — Paul Pavelka was helping "break" a new shipment of cavalry horses for a British officer stationed nearby in Monastir. When one of the more reluctant horses could not throw Pavelka from his back, it reared up and fell backward on top of him. Pavelka suffered crushing internal injuries from which he died the next day — exactly 95 years ago this week on November 12, 1917.
Another good hook would could have been derived from this passage about his mother:
Anna Pavelka mysteriously died in 1907 by falling on a pitchfork. Some people believe that her husband murdered her, as he married a beautiful young local woman soon after her death.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:49 pm
rnu wrote:
DYK ...
Patch.com wrote:Pavelka later volunteered for duty on the Macedonian front in Greece, where he was decorated for numerous successful missions. On Nov. 11, 1917 — exactly one year before the Great War ended — Paul Pavelka was helping "break" a new shipment of cavalry horses for a British officer stationed nearby in Monastir. When one of the more reluctant horses could not throw Pavelka from his back, it reared up and fell backward on top of him. Pavelka suffered crushing internal injuries from which he died the next day — exactly 95 years ago this week on November 12, 1917.
Another good hook would could have been derived from this passage about his mother:
Anna Pavelka mysteriously died in 1907 by falling on a pitchfork. Some people believe that her husband murdered her, as he married a beautiful young local woman soon after her death.
So he was neither thrown nor stampeded. :facepalm:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:52 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:09 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:49 pm
rnu wrote:
DYK ...
So he was neither thrown nor stampeded. :facepalm:
I nominate the word "crunched."

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:21 pm

DYK ...
... that Empire of Liberty was published twenty-seven years after its preceding volume in the Oxford History of the United States series?
You know what's even weirder? It was published two years after its succeeding volume. Wait what? Well, like many multi-volume histories the Oxford History of the United States (T-H-L) is not published in order. Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789–1815 (T-H-L) by Gordon S. Wood (T-H-L) is volume 4, but was published 8th. If you go by publishing year instead of volume number it was published only one year after its "preceding volume" which in this case would be volume 12, From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776 by George C. Herring (T-H-L).
The article has enough material that could have served for less misleading and irrelevant hooks. But then again they wouldn't have been "weird".

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm

DYK:
. that the church of St James the Less, Pockthorpe (T-H-L), now the home of the Norwich Puppet Theatre, once contained a rood screen with portraits of saints painted in 1479?
OK, first of all, this is utterly unremarkable for a late medieval English church. But second, yes, that's not what the source says, for it talks about a rood loft, which isn't the same as a screen, and the list of saints it gives is different from those on the screen. So maybe 1479, maybe not,

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:03 pm

Ming wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 pm
DYK:
. that the church of St James the Less, Pockthorpe (T-H-L), now the home of the Norwich Puppet Theatre, once contained a rood screen with portraits of saints painted in 1479?
OK, first of all, this is utterly unremarkable for a late medieval English church. But second, yes, that's not what the source says, for it talks about a rood loft, which isn't the same as a screen, and the list of saints it gives is different from those on the screen. So maybe 1479, maybe not,
What is more interesting than the fact that there was a rood screen, which as you said is completely unremarkable, is that most of the panels still exist and are part of a group of rood screens that were probably made by the same workshop, the Ranworth group, named after the Ranworth rood screen (T-H-L). The panels from Pockthorpe have been dated by dendrochronology to 1459-94 and there is a record of a donation for the screen from 1479.*

* Lucy Wrapson: East Anglian Rood Screens: the Practicalities of Production, In Binski, P.; New, E. (eds.). Patrons and Professionals in the Middle Ages: Proceedings of the 2010 Harlaxton Symposium (Conference paper). Donington. pp. 386–404. Available at academia.edu. The information about the dating is on pages 8/9 of the docx document.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:10 pm

DYK ...
... that the patu clubs on the New Zealand threepence were compared to bottles of ginger beer?
A Patu (T-H-L) is a Māori club used as a weapon and tool. But this is DYK. Let's not educate people with boring facts. Let's put the offensive, ignorant stuff on the Main Page. From the article:
The threepence were frequently likened by the public to bottles of ginger beer.[17] Defending the coins, ethnologist Johannes Andersen described the patu design as unfairly criticised by ignorant New Zealanders, and proposed that foreigners encountering the coins would learn about the country's culture from investigating the designs. Andersen, however, raised that the patu were rendered upside-down and suggested that this should be altered in future issues of the coinage.[18]

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:13 pm

DYK ...
... that Bryan Brinyark (T-H-L) finished second in an election to the Alabama House of Representatives just 15 votes behind his opponent, but later won a runoff election?
No he didn't. He finished second in the first round of the Republican primary. And he won in the second round (and later the actual election).

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:50 pm

DYK ...
... that the papal bull Ad fructus uberes (T-H-L) gave friars the right to hear confessions and preach without the authorisation of secular clergy?
I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't more comprehensive coverage of papal bulls on Wikipedia, or for that matter other platforms like the Catholic Encyclopedia. So in principle I approve of the effort to improve the coverage. Then again this was written by a member of the DYK crowd, so I shudder with dread even before clicking the link.
I know Wikipedia is supposed to be based on secondary sources. Still it is weird to have an article about a papal bull that does not refer to the bull at all and doesn't even give any information on where to find the text. For those who, unlike the DYK crowd, actually care, you can find the Latin text in volume 2 of Chartularium Universitatis parisiensis on page 592 under number 508.(*)
Next point. Friars (T-H-L) are allowed to hear confessions? Any old friar? Nope, of course only the ones who are ordained priests, sometimes referred to as friar-priests.
Next point. Context please? In 1281 Mendicant orders (T-H-L) were still pretty new. The Order of Friars Minor (T-H-L), better known as the Franciscans, was founded in 1209. The mendicant orders were viewed with lots of suspicion. This was partly due to their teachings which were suspected of heresy (you may be aware of some of this from the backstory in The Name of the Rose (T-H-L)), partly due to the fact that they constituted a challenge to the authority of the established clergy. E.g. they were not subject to the bishops, but only the pope. So Ad fructus uberes has to be seen in the context of the power struggle between the secular clergy and the mendicant orders. That's the real reason for the resistance from bishops. The question of compatibility with the teachings of Lateran IV was for theorists. And (the majority of) bishops only relied on the opinions of scholars when they suited them. Henry of Ghent (T-H-L) whose arguments against Ad fructus uberes the bishops used was himself suspect at the time of the Condemnations of 1210–1277 (T-H-L).
Another important fact that the article leaves out (or at least doesn't make sufficiently clear) is that the wording of Ad fructus uberes itself contributed to the debate on whether sins that had been confessed to a friar still had to be confessed to the parish priest.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 pm

DYK ...
... that Bdóte (T-H-L), an area of sacred significance to the Dakota people, centered on the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, was also the site of their forced exile from Minnesota?
Small problem: Bdóte is in Minnesota. So, no. The Dakota were held in a concentration camp at Bdóte before they were forced into exile.
From the article:
Lead wrote:After the Dakota War of 1862, it was the location of the concentration camp of the Dakota people before they were forcibly exiled from Minnesota.
Fort Snelling concentration camp wrote:While Bdote is the origin story of the Dakota people, it is also the site of their forced exile from Minnesota.[33][34] The Fort Snelling Dakota concentration camp at Bdote was a temporary holding facility for Dakota women, children, and elders who surrendered to the U.S. military after the Dakota War of 1862.[35] The camp was on the banks of the Minnesota River, near the fort. It was established in November 1862 and held about 1,700 Dakota people. The conditions in the camp were miserable, and between 130 and 300 Dakota people died died from disease and malnutrition.[36] Dakota leader Gabriel Renville wrote: "We were so crowded and confined that an epidemic broke out among us and children were dying day and night. Amid all this sickness and these great tribulations, it seemed doubtful at night whether a person would be alive in the morning".[37]

In December 1862, the U.S. military built a wooden stockade around the camp. The stockade was about 12 feet high and enclosed an area of two or three acres.[35] The Dakota people were forced to live inside the stockade and not allowed to leave. The camp was guarded by soldiers from the Sixth, Seventh, and Tenth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiments.[35] The soldiers were responsible for controlling movement in and out of the camp.[35]

Episcopalian Bishop Henry Benjamin Whipple advocated for the imprisoned Dakota people, and Reverend John Poage Williamson, who lived among the Dakota his whole life, joined them in the ordeal and remained with them as they were exiled into South Dakota.[37] The concentration camp at Fort Snelling closed in May 1863 and the Dakota people who survived the camp were then exiled from Minnesota to the Crow Creek Reservation in South Dakota.[36]
This has been pointed out, discussed and then ignored. :facepalm:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 am

The Mongolians have captured the Main Page.
Siege of Baghdad (1258) (T-H-L) is at DYK:
... that before besieging Baghdad in 1258, the Mongol prince Hulegu Khan ended a letter to the city's ruler with the words "I will show you the meaning of the will of God"?
and at OTD:
1258 – The last Abbasid caliph surrendered Baghdad to the besieging Mongol army of Hulegu Khan, who later sacked the city, killing hundreds of thousands of people.
Siege of Bukhara (T-H-L) tops it off at TFA.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 am

DYK ...
... that the use of high-tech surveillance to monitor protests and identify participants has led protestors to use anti-facial recognition masks?
And what, to the DYK crowd, does an anti-facial recognition mask look like?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:12 am

rnu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 am
DYK ...
... that the use of high-tech surveillance to monitor protests and identify participants has led protestors to use anti-facial recognition masks?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:51 am

Here's another photo of a man wearing an "anti facial recognition mask"

AirshipJungleman29
Contributor
Wikipedia User: AirshipJungleman29

Unread post by AirshipJungleman29 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 am

rnu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 am
The Mongolians have captured the Main Page.
Siege of Baghdad (1258) (T-H-L) is at DYK:
... that before besieging Baghdad in 1258, the Mongol prince Hulegu Khan ended a letter to the city's ruler with the words "I will show you the meaning of the will of God"?
and at OTD:
1258 – The last Abbasid caliph surrendered Baghdad to the besieging Mongol army of Hulegu Khan, who later sacked the city, killing hundreds of thousands of people.
Siege of Bukhara (T-H-L) tops it off at TFA.
For some reason ITN didn’t want any Mongol Empire articles, so I was unable to achieve the full set.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 am

Click the link to Milwaukee Brewers ball-in-glove logo (T-H-L), currently featured at DYK, and you'll be confronted by the searching gaze of Jaime Cocanower. "What is this place?" he seems to be asking. "What am I doing here?" I was wondering the same thing; it was only after reading the caption that I realized I was supposed to be looking at the logo on his hat – which, on my desktop display, is about the size of my little fingernail. Given that Wikipedia already hosts a non-free image of the logo, and this would undoubtedly be a valid use of it, the choice of a low-resolution scan of a 1984 baseball card to illustrate this article is puzzling.

Jaime Cocanower's expression, incidentally, pretty much encapsulates my own reaction to the article (though I don't have such impressive eyebrows). Why does this logo have a whole page to itself? There's nothing of importance here that couldn't be incorporated into Milwaukee Brewers (T-H-L), which already talks at length about the history of the logo. This is a classic example of an article that would only be created by a badge-collector searching for something borderline notable to write about; it simply wouldn't occur to anyone else to split this information off from the main article.

The same goes for Anti-facial recognition mask (T-H-L). Take away the "Background" section, which is only necessary because of the content fork, and what's left would fit neatly into this section of Facial recognition system (T-H-L). No need for a separate article.

DYK's original purpose was to incentivize the creation of new articles. It's time to realize that at this stage of Wikipedia's life cycle, incentivizing article creation is not necessarily a good thing.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:42 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 am
DYK ...

This isn't really an "anti-facial recognition mask". It does nothing to "confuse" facial recognition other than cover most of the face. This is a face covering popular among violent extreme right-wing groups like Atomwaffen (T-H-L).

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:30 pm

AirshipJungleman29 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:18 am
[...]
For some reason ITN didn’t want any Mongol Empire articles, so I was unable to achieve the full set.
:XD
That's that damn western bias at work.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:48 am

DYK ...
... that Walkelin (T-H-L), Bishop of Winchester, began the construction of the modern Winchester Cathedral in 1079?
I'm sorry, modern? 1079? :hmmm: (Then again, could be worse, could be postmodern.)

The article contains this information:
Walkelin was probably not related to William the Conqueror, whom he served as a royal chaplain.[1][2]
Why? Because the article originally said that he was related. Also, while Wikipedia believes that he was probably not related to William the Conqueror, it seems quite convinced that his brother Simeon (abbot) (T-H-L) was.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 pm

The mongols have been repulsed from the Main Page. Now it's fashion time!
TFA is Taxi Driver (Alexander McQueen collection) (T-H-L).
The first DYK is The Overlook (Alexander McQueen collection) (T-H-L).
And by fashion I mean stuff like this:

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:54 pm

DYK ...
... that a law banning Native Americans from living in Seattle was voided when Seattle itself was abolished?
Seattle (T-H-L) was abolished? When did that happen? And do the people living there know? OK, so Seattle was incorporated in 1865 with a Trustee model of representation (T-H-L) and disincorporated in 1867 after which it was merely a precinct of the county. Then it was incorporated again in 1869 with a Mayor–council government (T-H-L). So much for Seattle being "abolished".
As to banning Native Americans from living in Seattle:
[...] the ordinance banned all Native Americans from living within the town limits of Seattle unless employed by a settler and housed immediately adjacent to their employer.
Of course none of those details are "weird", so they don't matter to the DYK crowd.

ArmasRebane
Gregarious

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 pm
The sources for the fashion stuff exist so it's not really a case of making non-notable articles, but man I cannot fathom being so fascinated by shit that no one actually wears that you'd write entire articles about all these collections, let alone single pieces from them.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:07 am

DYK...
... that W. Seavey Joyce (T-H-L)'s presidency of Boston College (T-H-L) was dominated by frequent, large student protest (T-H-L)s?
...and could you guess that his term in that office was 1968-1972? Ming sure did.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:13 am

ArmasRebane wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm
rnu wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:47 pm
The sources for the fashion stuff exist so it's not really a case of making non-notable articles, but man I cannot fathom being so fascinated by shit that no one actually wears that you'd write entire articles about all these collections, let alone single pieces from them.

ah you beat me to it. A racoon wearing a slinky, that was