Egregious omissions

Smiley
(Not a cat)
kołdry

Egregious omissions

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:46 am

Things what aren't mentioned in articles what definitely should be.

Starting with one for the UK crew.

If you went to school during the 70s, 80s, or 90s, you'll almost certainly remember what stroking your chin and saying "Jimmy Hill" meant. Common variations include "Jimmy Chin", "Jimmy Reckon", and "Chinny Reckon". I guess maybe a third of the population know this to be true, yet it's not mentioned in his article.

Chinny trivia
Jimmy had many accomplishments, but above all, he will always be remembered for his magnificent protrusion. Jimmy's chin was so infamous he complained that calling him chinny was akin to black folk being called n*****s, prompting Stewart Lee to respond:
You know, there are not, um, there are not people standing for election now on the grounds that ‘People with big chins should be sent back to wherever they come from – Chinland probably, I don’t know, I haven’t done any research into it, obviously.’ And there were not vast swathes of humanity historically enslaved on the grounds that they had big chins. If there had been, all popular culture as we know it would be entirely different. There would not be a blues root underpinning all the late-twentieth-century popular music that you love if the Mississippi delta had been populated exclusively by disenfranchised ex-slaves with big chins …

‘Woke up this morning, Got a big chin. It’s not that much of a problem to be honest. I won’t base an entire musical genre on it.’
Here is the chin
This chin clearly deserves its own article.

The article doesn't explain Jimmy Hill's role in the Chris-chan saga either.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Egregious omissions

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Is this a request for more silly trivia? I think it would be better if most of this type of stuff was deleted. Still, if people think silly trivia should be added, that's a good point.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Mo' mentum

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Dweller (T-C-L) begs to differ.

If the chinny reckon stuff is so trivial, why did the Independent give it a paragraph in their obit?
Matthew Norman wrote:The paradox is this: no one ever had a name so purely synonymous with scepticism; readers of a certain age will recall that the playground method of expressing doubt about a schoolmate’s claim was to rub the chin and utter the words “Jimmy Hill”. And at the same time, no one ever seemed less sceptical than Hill.

Britain appears to have been a viciously chinist nation back then, long before the liberators of the PC Brigade invaded.
Thomas has entered the chat

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:50 pm

I hate to think what would happen if every fact or claim in every obituary had to be inserted into articles.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Mo' mentum

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:09 pm

No article on chin-stroking? 🤔

Transformer to the rescue!
TTT wrote:
'''Chin-stroking''' (also Beard Stroking, Rubbing The Moustache) is a gesture signifying contemplation or doubt. Famously depicted in Rodin's ''[[The Thinker]]'' and synonymous with the English footballer [[Jimmy Hill]], this non-verbal

display is best described as a contemplative dandruff grooming movement which asks the question "Is it worth it?" If you are confused about what this means I suggest you look this up on [[YouTube]].

[[Wearing a box of chocolates as an accessory]] is now a more acceptable way to show your sophistication. '''Meathead''' (also "Meathead Rubbing" or "Rubbing The Meat" ) is a recent [[social media phenomenon]] in which the comedian [[Tim Key]] rubs his meat or face through his hair and mutters phrases.

There is no reason to suppose that a chimp would not engage in such behaviour as we do.

Let us look at some iconic images and examples of the famous [[Chimpanzee Rubbing The Moustache]] behaviour. Please note that this movement is often depicted as "not quite" what is pictured.
Of course, we'll need some legit-looking sources, too...
TTT wrote:
* ''[[Nicholas Dodman|Dodman, N]] (1998). Tickle and the limbic system: The role of touch and haptic feedback in motor and emotional brain development. [[Boston, MA: [[Dutton Children's Books]]]. {{ISBN|0-674-04604-6}}.'' ~~(text extract from chapter "Touch, Sense, and Touch Yourself" in Ellwood's Touch, Sense, and Touch Yourself, 2008, pp. 17-36)

* Hoste, L. (2013) Semantic code and Proprioceptive code in the International Speech Community. In T. Bermejo, C. J. Haro and C. Marti (eds.), Act and Listen: Semantics and the Metaphor in Speech. Thousand Oaks, California: Sage.

* ''[[Susan Goldin-Meadow|Goldin-Meadow, S]] (2005). Hearing gesture: How our hands help us think. Cambridge, Massachusetts: [[Harvard University Press]]. {{ISBN|0-674-01837-0}}.''

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 pm

Forehead knuckling (T-H-L)shall get its own article when The Wheel of Time (T-H-L) hits the big screen, I expect.

Until then, that little girl in Africa shall have to visit Reddit
link
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:34 pm

Being serious, there are articles that are whitewashes and omit important negative information. I recently mentioned Archer Martin (T-H-L),and it can't be hard to find others.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Boy George (famous for handcuffing a dude to a radiator then beating him wth a chain and writing a pop song so perfect it makes me cry tears of joy) got the name after he rolled back home at four in the morning wearing full drag and his Irish father exclaimed "By George!"

Kind of obvious in hindsight.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:43 am

Smiley wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:44 pm
... and writing a pop song so perfect it makes me cry tears of joy...
I think you mean this one. (I like it even more now, knowing the backstory.)
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:11 pm

There was a huge argument about whether the Rosemary Tonks (T-H-L) article should say that she had "disappeared", despite several sources saying she had, and the word was removed more than once. Eventually, after her death and a flood of articles about her disappearance, it was agreed that she had disappeared.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 am

Joy Division's Bernard Sumner animated Jamie & the Magic Torch.

The guitar which comes in at 0:37 sounds suspiciously similar to the opening of "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Beavis omissions

Unread post by Smiley » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:38 am

According to the legendary Mike Judge, Beavis (T-H-L) is "one of those guys who God didn't give much at all except for a big penis. ..A gigantic schlong."

Many years ago, some thoughtful and diligent soul added this crucial information to Beavis's biography, but they were soon reverted on spurious, and likely prurient, grounds.

If only this factoid had remained, Mr Biden would've had the perfect comeback to the recent meme.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Guy Ritchie (T-H-L) made his directorial debut with this video.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Smiley wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 am
Joy Division's Bernard Sumner animated Jamie & the Magic Torch.

The guitar which comes in at 0:37 sounds suspiciously similar to the opening of "Love Will Tear Us Apart".
Indeed. It's music's worst kept secret to just recycle when writing for a new audience unfamiliar with your previous work. In fact, I was once ina band where our guitarist came up with this brilliant solo. Turned out he just ripped it off from the solo in this song, which I was unfamiliar with at the time. I've teased him about it a shitload of times in the intervening 25 years.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Proof that 22/7 exceeds π (T-H-L): This article only discusses proofs using calculus. There are more elementary methods, based on the procedure Archimedes used to find the 22/7 approximation in the first place, involving the area and perimeter of polygons inscribed in or circumscribed around a circle.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:45 pm

1,800 years ago, Cassius Dio wrote:They dwell in tents, naked and unshod, possess their women in common, and in common rear all the offspring. Their form of rule is democratic for the most part, and they are very fond of plundering; consequently they choose their boldest men as rulers. ... They can endure hunger and cold and any kind of hardship; for they plunge into the swamps and exist there for many days with only their heads above water, and in the forests they support themselves upon bark and roots, and for all emergencies they prepare a certain kind of food, the eating of a small portion of which, the size of a bean, prevents them from feeling either hunger or thirst. Such is the general character of the island of Britain such are the inhabitants of at least the hostile part of it.
Some of us still live in this manner, magic beans and all.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:18 pm

Smiley wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:45 pm
1,800 years ago, Cassius Dio wrote:They can endure hunger and cold and any kind of hardship; for they plunge into the swamps and exist there for many days with only their heads above water...
Some of us still live in this manner, magic beans and all.
We still have to walk ten miles in the snow in our bare feet just to get to the swamps so that we can plunge into them and exist there for days on end, and even then we're forced to wear speedos that don't fit well most of the time.