Habitué
kołdry

Foundation board member James Heilman is forking Wikipedia

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:52 am
el84 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm
Random tangent that this topic just reminded me of.

Doc James hasn't edited since 30 May, a few days before the Medicine Arbitration Case was closed.
Interesting tangent. It was probably mentioned back then (I largely missed the fallout from this case), but see some discussion here and here.
Doc James has been busy forking wikipedia's medical content to mdwiki, where those arbcommies can't tell him what to do. By the way, is it kosher that he only links to the enwiki article in an edit summary, and doesn't provide a list of contributors?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Covid-19 is one of Wikipedia’s biggest challenges ever. Here’s how the site is handling it.

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm

That's some serious butthurt.

How does that work with him being on the board of the WMF?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

AngelOne
Regular

Re: Covid-19 is one of Wikipedia’s biggest challenges ever. Here’s how the site is handling it.

Unread post by AngelOne » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:06 pm

So he's taken his Wiki Project Med Foundation ball and gone home to make his own Wiki where he can do what he wants and no one can tell him no. From the main page:
Doc James getting to do what he wants wrote: We encourage the inclusion of video, including video under NC and ND licenses. The later are hosted locally. We only accept CC BY SA, CC BY, and PD text. An example of an article using NC is here.
Costs of medications are not only permitted but encouraged. And we will include medication doses.
We write for a general audience, with efforts to approach a grade 12 reading level, with the understanding that many of the people who use this resource may speak English as a second language.
Editing is currently not open to everyone. An application process is coming soon.
We will have a code of conduct.
Paid conflict of interest editing is not permitted (disclosed or otherwise). Case by case exceptions may be made following discussion.
Finally we are open to innovation. The goal is to provide the best product possible for our users.
Wiki Project Med is a Wikipedia Affiliate; are they allowed to start their own wikis like thi? (I don't know anything about Affiliates). Is heading up Wiki Project Med as its own site, in competition with and not controlled by Wikimedia, a conflict of interest with being on the Wikimedia Board of Directors?

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:59 am

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm

That's a serious question that deserves some discussion (both here and on Wikipedia and by the WMF).

This might be one of those defining moments that actually makes a difference. Or it could be another failed attempt at a fork. Difficult to tell right now.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:59 am
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm

That's a serious question that deserves some discussion (both here and on Wikipedia and by the WMF).

This might be one of those defining moments that actually makes a difference. Or it could be another failed attempt at a fork. Difficult to tell right now.
It should be a hot topic of discussion.

However,
1) Jimmy is basically in absentia but has a lifetime appointment to the board.

2) The Fram/Laura Hale/Maria Sefidari Huici/Trust & Safety scandal is still a huge issue for fraud, self dealing, conflicts of interest and lying on the part of the Chair.

3) The Universal Code of Conduct, Rebranding, Diversity is more important than an Encyclopedia, and other weird, pointless and irritating directives undertaken by the WMF are still running open loop.

I'm going to guess that WP/WMF will just toss the Doc James thingy on the pile of other dumpster fires that are raging out of control.

You guys need to clean out the board and put better governance structures in place.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:06 pm

It looks like one of the ongoing requirements for Affiliates like wpmedf is to post financial and activity reports on Meta. Doc James recently moved those reports onto his new wiki.

If he's cutting ties with WP, and he certainly appears to be, then he is no longer a representative of the community. He needs to resign from the Board. Like right the fuck now.

(Maybe these Doc James posts should be split out onto another thread?)

tarantino
Habitué

Re: Foundation board member James Heilman is forking Wikipedia

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:18 pm

Topic split from this thread, and oops, I misspelled James' name. Zoloft or Jake can fix that, since I can't.

--Fixed
Last edited by Zoloft on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhKayeSierra
Contributor
Wikipedia User: OhKayeSierra
Actual Name: Sierra G.

Unread post by OhKayeSierra » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:48 pm

From WikiProjectMed:Technical efforts
(T-C-L)
1) All pages will mirror Wikipedia until edited. When one clicks the view history button it will be possible to see the history of the page in question from WP. And when one hits talk one will also see the talk page as mirrored.
2) Once a page is edited it will bring over the history of the page with a line like

MDwiki _______________________________________________________________________ Wikipedia

That separates the edits that occured in the two different places
3) In certain cases one may want to turn back on mirroring for a page. This may work by deleting the page and then having a button under "more" that says "restore page mirroring". This will leave the ability to delete a page and have it remain deleted in the fork.
4) When a page is edited locally the talk page will also be brought into the fork. But if the talk page is edited locally the article will not be brought into the fork.
5) When a page is edited and thus brought into the fork, all the templates used for that page will also be automatically brought over. For example all the reference templates and infoboxes etc. As should the categories.
6) Might be useful to have the ability to switch between the fork version of any article and the current Wikipedia version of the article. Would make it easy to check functionaility / do updates.
I hope that live-mirroring the way it’s being described wouldn’t actually be kosher with the W?F sysadmins. I’m not entirely sure why Doc hasn’t just imported a database dump into his walled garden instead of opting for the path of most resistance by live-mirroring. It certainly seems like less of a technical headache to do it that way, at least.
Last edited by OhKayeSierra on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks for splitting these posts out into their own thread.

The situation is now being discussed on Iridescent (T-C-L)'s Talk page here. The discussion is mainly focused on copyright because Doc James' new site doesn't properly attribute the copies. Not really a surprise, as he's not known for his attention to detail. Quick, sweeping decisions and stubbornly defending them, yes. Making sure that all the ts are crossed and is dotted, no.

WO got a mention, too:
shout out from Iridescent wrote: (While I assume the Board is not going to approve legal action against Doc James, I assume the Wikipediaocracy crowd will be gleefully emailing every journalist they can think of as soon as they notice, and the WMF doesn't like bad publicity.)
I'm pretty sure James the Trustee would argue against legal action against James the Forker.

If he won't even follow the legal rules and could be sued for that, he's not fit to be on the Board.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Fred Bauder had his own wiki when he was on Arbcom, although it didn't claim to copy over articles from Wikipedia wholesale.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm

The title of this thread is misleading, as James Heilman isn't forking Wikipedia, he's only forking a very small part of it, which I think is a great idea. There should be many more of these mini-forks as I'll call them, leading perhaps one day to a federated version of Wikipedia with each mini-fork under proper control, not the chaos that is WP.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm
The title of this thread is misleading, as James Heilman isn't forking Wikipedia, he's only forking a very small part of it, which I think is a great idea. There should be many more of these mini-forks as I'll call them, leading perhaps one day to a federated version of Wikipedia with each mini-fork under proper control, not the chaos that is WP.
Medical articles are among the most important on Wikipedia. Errors in them due to vandalism or well-meaning idiots could cost lives. Heilman isn't perfect, but far better to have him as the god-king of a medical wiki than leave those articles to the perils of crowdsourcing.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Medical articles are among the most important on Wikipedia. Errors in them due to vandalism or well-meaning idiots could cost lives. Heilman isn't perfect, but far better to have him as the god-king of a medical wiki than leave those articles to the perils of crowdsourcing.
I agree.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 pm

At the very least Doc and his co-editors at the new site who are parties to the recent Arbcase should be indef'd on wiki for NOTHERE. As in, literally taking the hard work from HERE and putting it THERE. This may be the most extreme case of throwing the toys out of the pram I can think of. Just throw them into another pram where you can play with them how you want.

Some more thoughts: Does Doc personally proof every article before he copies it over? What if there's hidden vandalism? What if there are deliberate falsehoods? Is this quest to insert medicinal costs really this important? Imagine this guy is your ER doc, furiously running off to copy over some pharma prices and typos while you're laying there busted up from a bike wreck. "I'll be right back! It's not like you can go anywhere...And I get paid for this!"

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sure, if the articles ceased to exist at Wikipedia, but they won't. So anyone who Googles their disease du jour will still get Wikipedia first. Probably the "knowledge panel" will come direct from Wikipedia. So Heilman abandoning Wikipedia's medical articles will actually make things worse.

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm

They've locked down the new wiki so that a login is required to view even the main page. I'm thinking it's because it was getting attention on WP. After all, the best way to not have a copyright problem is to make your site private, right?

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:10 pm

tarantino wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Doc James has been busy forking wikipedia's medical content to mdwiki, where those arbcommies can't tell him what to do. By the way, is it kosher that he only links to the enwiki article in an edit summary, and doesn't provide a list of contributors?
When importing articles, it is essential to import the entire edit history as far as possible. Can we please make sure the box "Copy all history revisions for this page" is always ticked? I know this means a slower import, but the conditions for attribution require either that or an unambiguous link back to the revision exported from enwiki. Obviously the former is always preferable. Can we go back and re-import the full history for all articles where that hasn't been done? That may result in some wasted effort, but I do feel it's important to get this right. --Doug
...Looks to me like they just shut down the site to outsiders to even read it, shortly after I copied that from Doc James' talk page. Now a login is required to see it.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 pm

AngelOne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm
They've locked down the new wiki so that a login is required to view even the main page. I'm thinking it's because it was getting attention on WP. After all, the best way to not have a copyright problem is to make your site private, right?
Maybe, but I'd argue that a better way would have been to limit the possibility of any copyright infringements in the first place, by adhering strictly to the not very stringent conditions of the material's purported licence.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:47 pm

AngelOne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm
lol

The actions of guiltless people...

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:29 am

tarantino wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Carcharoth wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:52 am
el84 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:12 pm
Random tangent that this topic just reminded me of.

Doc James hasn't edited since 30 May, a few days before the Medicine Arbitration Case was closed.
Interesting tangent. It was probably mentioned back then (I largely missed the fallout from this case), but see some discussion here and here.
His right and yes, respectively. Ideally the link should be to the history page, not the article itself.

tim

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:41 am

AngelOne wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:06 pm
It looks like one of the ongoing requirements for Affiliates like wpmedf is to post financial and activity reports on Meta. Doc James recently moved those reports onto his new wiki.
Now with the wiki locked down, those reports are no longer publicly viewable. Idiots. They should never have been moved over before everything was ready.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 am

tarantino wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:15 pm
There's also some discussion at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Medicine.
Your link is wrong, should be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ne#MD_Wiki

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 am

Sounds like a site ban should drop on Doc James' head.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:25 am

Carcharoth wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:59 am
tarantino wrote:

That section was started after I posted the above link. Sometimes I can't see in to the future.

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:15 am

tarantino wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:25 am
Carcharoth wrote:
tarantino wrote:

That section was started after I posted the above link. Sometimes I can't see in to the future.
Ah, OK. That makes sense.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:13 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Poetlister wrote:
Sure, if the articles ceased to exist at Wikipedia, but they won't. So anyone who Googles their disease du jour will still get Wikipedia first. Probably the "knowledge panel" will come direct from Wikipedia. So Heilman abandoning Wikipedia's medical articles will actually make things worse.
Yes, there should be some mechanism to keep the WP articles identical to those on the new wiki, but obviously the WMF wouldn't want that.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:13 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Poetlister wrote:
Yes, there should be some mechanism to keep the WP articles identical to those on the new wiki, but obviously the WMF wouldn't want that.
What would be the point of keeping them identical? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of forking?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 am
Would be entertaining at least to see a board member get San Franned. :popcorn:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 pm
What would be the point of keeping them identical? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of forking?
I envisaged that ideally, all amendments to the WP articles would have to be considered by Heilman or others suitably qualified. There's no point in having better versions on the other wiki because Google would favour the WP versions.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:17 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:40 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 am
Would be entertaining at least to see a board member get San Franned. :popcorn:
for creating a synced tuning fork and swiping the "media" title the W?F doesn't want anymore... :XD

Wasn't the conclusion of one of the eight bullet points of that recent (unclosed) RiverfulloComments about T&S and ArbCom that a fork would never happen?

By shrimpfork, by pitchfork, pile higher and deeper.
los auberginos

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:22 pm

I'm not at all sure why people are calling for a ban here. Wikipedia explicitly allows re-using its content. If he's screwing up the financial reporting, he's shooting the affiliate in the foot, and I'm sure the other members won't like that, but that is not an EN.WP problem.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:22 pm
I'm not at all sure why people are calling for a ban here. Wikipedia explicitly allows re-using its content. If he's screwing up the financial reporting, he's shooting the affiliate in the foot, and I'm sure the other members won't like that, but that is not an EN.WP problem.
That he's doing this because people on en.wp wouldn't let him have his way and he's attempting to circumvent the ruling?

WP:NOTHERE?

The fact that he's a twice disgraced board member is just gravy at this point.

You're a board member of a non-profit and you're actively fucking up the non-profit's primary purpose....

Perhaps you're right, a SanFranBan seems like a better solution.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 pm

He isn't breaking the arbcom ruling by doing what he wants on some other website not in any way under the control of arbcom or the WMF. Circumventing it, yes, but not in a manner that violates the ruling.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:34 pm
He isn't breaking the arbcom ruling by doing what he wants on some other website not in any way under the control of arbcom or the WMF. Circumventing it, yes, but not in a manner that violates the ruling.
Splitting hairs, especially for a board member with fiduciary duty.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:40 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
I don't see how it is hairsplitting at all. Arbcom rulings don't apply when you aren't on en.wp. The only exceptions I can think of are stuff like malicious doxxing , pedo grooming, that kind of thing.

Making a content fork so you can play by your own rules doesn't harm Wikipedia in any way that I can see. Even when I disagree with you I can usually at least see your point, but it's lost on me here.

The board stuff and the affiliate stuff are also outside arbcom's remit, thankfully.

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:20 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
I don't see how it is hairsplitting at all. Arbcom rulings don't apply when you aren't on en.wp. The only exceptions I can think of are stuff like malicious doxxing , pedo grooming, that kind of thing.

Making a content fork so you can play by your own rules doesn't harm Wikipedia in any way that I can see. Even when I disagree with you I can usually at least see your point, but it's lost on me here.

The board stuff and the affiliate stuff are also outside arbcom's remit, thankfully.
He's allowed to make a content fork, yes, and he's not breaking any rules by doing it once he gets attribution right (and it won't be James that does it, because detail-oriented he is not).

It's that he's a Board member and I, at least, have the impression that he is supposed to be conducting himself in a professional manner. But what's happened here is that he didn't get his way at Arbcom so he's going to a place where he can do what he wants. It's seriously childish, and not at all professional.

It also calls into question his commitment to Wikipedia, because he's walking away from the community. If he's not committed, or even part of the community, can he really fully be the voice of the community on the Board? If he doesn't want to be part of the community unless he gets his own way, he's not adhering to the spirit of collaboration, so why should he be allowed to be part of the community?

As for harm to Wikipedia, playing with his toys in his own sandbox doesn't harm Wikipedia at the moment except for causing further division among project medicine members.

jf1970
Muted

Unread post by jf1970 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 am

Someone walks up to Doc James and says they want to donate to an online encyclopedia that covers medical topics. Does DJ send them to Wikipedia or his new website? That quandary is one example of how forking Wikipedia breaches a WMF trustee's fiduciary duties. WMF's General Counsel is probably briefing the board about this. I predict he will be voted out soon.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 am

jf1970 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 am
Someone walks up to Doc James and says they want to donate to an online encyclopedia that covers medical topics. Does DJ send them to Wikipedia or his new website? That quandary is one example of how forking Wikipedia breaches a WMF trustee's fiduciary duties. WMF's General Counsel is probably briefing the board about this. I predict he will be voted out soon.
Not for at least a year.

The board postponed elections, most likely to protect Maria Sefidari Huici.

AngelOne
Regular

Unread post by AngelOne » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 am

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 am
jf1970 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:41 am
Not for at least a year.

The board postponed elections, most likely to protect Maria Sefidari Huici.
They could kick him out and leave his seat vacant like they did last time.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 am

Yes, it is that he should be Fucking Fired.

Got an opinion on That, Brox?!
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Carcharoth
Habitué

Unread post by Carcharoth » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:22 am

tarantino wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:25 am
Carcharoth wrote:
tarantino wrote:

Well, the future interfered again, as Colin (T-C-L) (who started that section), removed it without as far as I can tell archiving a copy of it anywhere (this is something that annoys me, when people rely on the page history to preserve the history, as that is not always 100% reliable and does make it far less visible, e.g. to internal and external searches):

Diff to removal.

Really, when a discussion has been contributed to by others, even if you started it, it shouldn't be removed like that.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:44 am

It's a pity that ArbCom have no influence over what WMF trustees do on other sites (and very little about what they do on ENWP). Obviously, certain things would have gone very differently if they could have influenced them. But obviously that's the position and it's not likely to change.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:53 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:50 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

We-ell, I'd slightly disagree in that a fork of material results in a splitting of editor base in an area that needs all hands on deck. Which is sad.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 pm

AngelOne wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:20 am
It also calls into question his commitment to Wikipedia, because he's walking away from the community. If he's not committed, or even part of the community, can he really fully be the voice of the community on the Board?
This is the part that resonates with me.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:41 pm

A new recruit
curprev 23:37, 13 August 2020‎ Tryptofish talk contribs‎ 3,089 bytes -1‎ →‎This is a work in progress: ce
curprev 23:35, 13 August 2020‎ Tryptofish talk contribs‎ 3,090 bytes +1‎ →‎How we differ from Wikipedia: ce

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:21 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:41 pm
A new recruit
curprev 23:37, 13 August 2020‎ Tryptofish talk contribs‎ 3,089 bytes -1‎ →‎This is a work in progress: ce
curprev 23:35, 13 August 2020‎ Tryptofish talk contribs‎ 3,090 bytes +1‎ →‎How we differ from Wikipedia: ce
Tryptofish's user page:
I'm retired-and-yet-not-retired, whatever that is. I'm just flat-out disgusted with what the culture here has degraded into, and I'm only dropping in from time to time to, I guess, be a single-purpose account whose purpose is to try and do something about it. If things improve, maybe I'll eventually resume content editing, but if not, not.
I'll say to anyone reading here: remember the last time you recorded your favorite TV show on VHS tape using a VCR? Me neither. There is no fundamental reason why Wikipedia cannot become obsolete too.

The most essential feature of WP was "anyone can edit", that wiki-style crowdsourcing would actually work. It was a terrible idea on its face, and yet has worked absolutely brilliantly, and vastly better than the alternatives. So far. But I think that we are starting to bump up against the limitations of "anyone can edit", and it remains to be seen whether we can adapt. The servers aren't going to go dark as the hasten-the-day folks predict, but the creation and maintenance of content will just gradually peter out. I mean it very literally when I say that "anyone can edit" is starting to be something that is accepted without critical thinking, in the way that cults do.

--Tryptofish (talk) 3:05 pm, 8 July 2020, Wednesday (1 month, 7 days ago) (UTC−7)

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 pm
AngelOne wrote:
It also calls into question his commitment to Wikipedia, because he's walking away from the community. If he's not committed, or even part of the community, can he really fully be the voice of the community on the Board?
This gets to the heart of the question, "What does the W?F want to be?" If they still want to be Wikimedia then Doc's medical encyclopedia is just another project inside their big tent... Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource, Dictionary, and... the newest member of the family, Med.

On the other hand, if they want to be the Wikipedia Foundation then anything that competes with Wikipedia is an unethical conflict-of-interest.

I fear they want to be Wikipedia for fundraising purposes but Wikimedia for fund-spending purposes, which to me is unethical bait-and-switch.

I don't really want to see Doc suffer the indignity of getting kicked off the board twice. I have a soft spot for him given that he's the only one connected to the foundation who has ever filled my coffee cup outside of a conference.

This could all be resolved simply by conducting the postponed, overdue, online election to reaffirm or replace the community-elected seats. It's not like the need to see the candidates together, in person, on stage has ever been necessary in the past. There is no need to postpone anything due to the need for social distancing since the community has always been socially-distanced from its representatives.

The election has been postponed to rub-it-in-our-noses that these have never really been community-selected seats. They are just another class of board-selected seats. All seats on the board are board-selected seats; the W?F is not a democratic organization.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

I keep reading W?F as WtF and smirking into my tea...

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 pm
AngelOne wrote:
As I say, nobody seemed concerned about Fred Bauder running his own wiki. However, no doubt its impact on ENWP was insignificant,