Laura in Wikiland

eagle
Eagle
kołdry

Laura in Wikiland

Unread post by eagle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Moderator's note: Several posts originally made to this thread were deemed to be at least somewhat off-topic and split to a separate thread, which requires registration to view. Afterwards, this thread was moved into the main (publicly-visible) forum. For some posts that were retained in this thread, material quoted in them that was not retained has been summarized (in red) at the top.

Please note that the current (as of Aug. 30) Arbcom case against User:Fram (T-C-L), in review of the one-year ban against User:Fram by the Wikimedia Foundation's Trust and Safety office, apparently only allows the previous three years' worth of activity to be taken into account; the purpose of this thread is primarily to review Dr. Laura Hale's wiki-related activity going back to the beginning, which we reckon to be 2005 or perhaps even earlier.

A typical chapter of Laura Hale's Ph.D. dissertation is entitled, "Fun with #Fevola @BrendanFevola05" or I would call it, "Mismatch of data collection timing" involving Brendan Fevola, an Australia Rules football player.
During September 2010, Brendan Fevola was in the news, and consequently an archive of #fevola related tweets was created
On December 28, 2010, Hale downloaded a list of all 6,370 followers of Fevola's twitter account.

By coincidence, on January 1, 2011 Fevola was arrested for disorderly conduct, and was the subject of a number of tweets and news accounts. Instead of analyzing the tweets related to that episode, Hale took the September 2010 hashtag data and the pre-incident list of twitter followers to determine that there were 118 people in common. She did not see how this was changed by the January 1, 2011 incident. Hale concludes:
The data and methodological approach supports the idea of passive consumption being a dominant trait on Twitter. Following behavior is not indicative of a desire to actively engage in discussion about the topic of a recent controversy. There may be a variety of reasons for doing so, including lack of using a site on a regular basis, a desire to maintain privacy or avoid saying things that could result in negative social consequences, use patterns of Twitter as a primary consumption tool for information, lack of awareness of an issue when not coming through official channels, lack of perceived need to socially engage on Twitter, or primary preferences for engaging with media stories taking place on other websites or in other social contexts such as at work or at the pub. This is important for sport teams and athletes to know, as it suggests that negative stories do not necessarily activate their core audiences to talk about the story. If stakeholders like athlete management, sports clubs, sport leagues and sponsors have concerns, they should repeat a similar methodology and examine crossover participation rates.
First, the number of people who use the hashtag #fevola is just a subset of the number of people who write tweets about this football player.

Second, the number of people who used the hashtag in October 2010 is probably a subset of the number of people who are tweeting about him following his arrest months later. Hale does not explain why she did not use contemporaneous hashtag and follower lists captured after the January 1, 2011 incident. I assume that the January 1 arrest was more damaging to Fevola's reputation than earlier incidents, but there is explanation of why only one data point was used and whether October 2010 was concurrent with another incident or a lull in fan interest between newsworthy events.

Third, according to her own thesis, twitter has made it more difficult to retrieve sets of tweets based on hashtags, so recommending that people "should repeat a similar methodology" may not be practical.

I want to be fair, but I just do not understand the design of the experiment or the conclusions drawn from the data. Somebody please explain. My only conclusion is that "People follow professional athletes on twitter, and some use his last name as a hashtag, and there is little overlap between the people who follow him and the people who use the hash tag."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Laura Hale

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:01 pm

This indeed does not look like a very good analysis. What was her supervisor doing?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Poetlister wrote:This indeed does not look like a very good analysis. What was her supervisor doing?
Avoiding her?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

mendaliv
Habitué
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 pm

The real shame here is that WMF doesn’t seem to get state or federal grant monies. Can you imagine bringing a qui tam (T-H-L) suit against them to blow the lid off this?
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 pm

I agree with all of the above comments. One early hypothesis was that she did just enough garbage research to justify her funding on the WMF-supported projects. However, now that I am reading her Ph.D. thesis (which is supposed to be a supervised, once-in-a-lifetime effort to do your best work) I just think that she simply lacks the logical horsepower to conduct proper research.

In most Ph.D. programs, people who struggle with the course work, drop out before beginning their research and dissertation. The Canberra program was atypical by accepting her Northern Illinois University coursework and waiving any requirement to take classes at Canberra. Instead, she started off at the second stage. I wonder if the Canberra admissions committee mistakenly thought they were getting some Yankee big data hotshot who wanted to shift to an academic career.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm

In another chapter, Dr. Hale examines whether a politician (in this case a female Australian Prime Minister) cheering on a team will affect the "online community of that team." If I were to design a research project, I would identify a population of people who are online fans of the team and interview them or send them a questionnaire. But instead, Dr. Hale matched changes in the Alexa rank of the team's website with remark by the Prime Minister regarding the team.
The data makes a compelling case that Gillard's public statements of allegiance hurt the Western Bulldogs, while at the same time showing that this negative impact was very limited. Overall though, the results of understanding what the impact was is hard to assess because the data is not very conclusive.

The methodology proves insights are available using this approach. It does highlight shortcomings when data from multiple websites does not appear to agree. One or two metrics from a site do not always give a conclusive perspective as to audience behavior. More in-depth analysis on a site-by-site basis may have provided a more conclusive picture, and given information on specific demographic group responses to Gillard’s comments. If these metrics are being used, they need greater depth to foster understanding. They need context, because without the context of additional data, the conclusions can easily change.
(emphasis added)

Again, there are many factors in why the number of tweets mentioning a team may go up or down, why website hits may go up or down, or other social media mentions. I would guess that it would correlate more with team performance than with whether the Prime Minister talks about the team.

You cannot write a conclusion that on the one hand admits that the data is inconsistent yet on the other hand claims that the data makes a "compelling case." One approach may be to take out Facebook ads targeted at Bulldogs fans and say "Are you a Bulldogs fan? Take this survey...." or to go to a Bulldogs match and pass out questionaires. The questions can get the fans to rank the factors that influence their feelings about the team. (I would bet that Prime Minister Gillard's statements would not be at the top of the list.) A good thesis cannot came to come to a conclusion by admitting that more in-depth analysis is needed in order to draw a conclusion. In other words, "I thought I would try this, but it did not work, but I am too lazy to try another approach."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm

She's brokenly trying to say, "The statements made a difference, but the difference was small." in the first paragraph.
This highlights that she has no idea what a margin of error is or how it expands for small sample sizes.

The fact that her sample of statement can't possibly be shown to be causative is even worse.
For example, "Based on the number of letters in a given date, the Bulldogs get more popular."
Correlation is not causation.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:53 am

On WikiNews (T-H-L), Laura Hale is an administrator, unanimously (7 votes).
https://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?tit ... id=1556244
Question As with most nominations and our highly informal vetting process... we must ask:
What are your plans for world domination?
--Patrick M (TUFKAAP) (talk) 17:41, 1 July 2012 (UTC)

World domination starts with Australia and then moves eastward towards New Zealand. If I can't get a visa to stay in Australia, I'd like to get a kickstart grant and do Wikinews coverage on Oceania because I love the region and we don't get enough news.
--LauraHale (talk) 04:50, 2 July 2012 (UTC)
She accused the go-playing mathematics student DanielTom (T-C-L) of running a sock puppet. He said in effect, "That is my brother. I'll send you a copy of his passport and ID card, which proves that he is at my house."; this is my paraphrase.

Laura banned him for violating user confidentiality.
https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/User_talk:DanielTom
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:41 am

This fits Laura Hale to a T. She promised her chairman to get Netball (T-H-L) to Featured Article. Her first Good Article reviewer quit over an impasse, and she got rid of her second Good Article reviewer by withdrawing the nomination and then quickly renominating it with her landlord immediately picking up the review and passing it. Within hours, she nominated it for Featured Article explaining that she wanted it to run on the main page on a specifc date. After a bunch of negative comments it was closed.

She saw that the second GA reviewer was in the WikiCup competition, so she edited the WikiCup scoring to make sure that the reviewer did not get points for having done her Netball review.

Same thing with DYK hook reviews where she ran into Fram.

She asks Wikimedia Australia to pay for a trip back to the US to attend a skiing competition, does not get an approval, but goes on the trip anyway. While on the trip, she tries to pursue the reimbursement request and is told "no."

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:31 am

Back to the Ph.D. Thesis: A major focus is on "events" and how fan's online participation can be studied in terms of their reaction to events. A chapter of Dr. Hale's thesis studies "Derryn Hinch’s coverage of the St Kilda Saints nude photo critical event." Hinch is a radio personality and he claimed on the radio that his website got 2 million hits that month. However, Hinch did not install any package such as Google Analytics to allow third parties to monitor his traffic. So, Hale had no direct basis to challenge Hinch's 2 million hit traffic claim. We do not understand why Hale decided to include this incident in her thesis instead of one where journalists' data was directly available. Nor does she address other sports commentators who may have twitter accounts or blogs were the incident is discussed. Hale does look at Wikipedia traffic for the pages of the sports teams and the players involved and readership did spike. Hale concludes:
When controversy happens, sport journalist personalities can be bigger drivers of a story than social media when it comes to pushing a story for sport consumer consumption. This may be especially true when media personalities are as good at self-promotion as Hinch can be. New media, in the form of English Wikipedia, is a place fans turn to, but it is not at the same level for the same stream of information as traditional news sources. Sport media managers would be wise not to completely neglect journalists in favor of outreach on new media and social media sources.
However, the only "sport journalist personality" discussed was Derryn Hench and the only "new media and social media sources" discussed in the chapter were Wikipedia and her Ozziesport.com blog. The set of "sports consumers" interested in a team (or interested in a nude photo scandal) is made up of TV watchers, web surfers, radio listeners and in some cases Wikipedia users. Other than guessing that few of the total fan base researched the event on Wikipedia, there is nothing in this chapter.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:47 am

At least in the sciences, graduate students publish papers in peer-reviewed journals and the combine the papers as separate chapters in their PhD thesis. I have not seen Laura Hale publish any papers in peer-reviewed journals, not even portions of her thesis. It will be interesting to see if her post-doc produces any papers.

Now that Dr. Hale has vanished from Wikipedia, perhaps she can turn her attention to productive scholarship.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:49 pm

As you know Laura Hale was rightly criticized by Fram for abusing the DYK rules to publicize Paralympic athletes. In general, she created Paralympic articles about athletes who may not have been notable in their own right, and certainly not Paralympic medal winners. She wrote an anatomy of a DYK where she explained that she had Hawkeye7 (T-C-L) front for her in terms of article creation and DYK nominations.

On today's main page we see under DYK:
... that Isabel Martin was one of the Australian Devils who won silver at the 2019 Women's U25 Wheelchair Basketball World Championship in Suphan Buri, Thailand?
The hook review of Hawkeye7's nomination reads: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template: ... asketball)[/link]
The result was: promoted by Cwmhiraeth (talk) 05:27, 11 July 2019 (UTC)

... that Isabel Martin (pictured) was one of the Australian Devils who won silver at the 2019 Women's U25 Wheelchair Basketball World Championship in Suphanburi, Thailand? Source: "Australia will take home the Women’s U25 World Championship silver medal for the thirrd time running." ([1]) Issy is in the picture. She is on the team list at [2]
Reviewed: Template:Did you know nominations/Barr Terrace, Mueller Tower
Comment: QPQ review is a double-hook too
Created by Hawkeye7 (talk). Self-nominated at 00:24, 1 June 2019 (UTC).
Both articles are new, long enough and within policy, the hook is properly formatted, within length, interesting, reliably sourced and neutral, and a double QPQ has been done. Image is within policy. GTG. Peacemaker67 (click to talk to me) 05:53, 1 June 2019 (UTC)
If you look at the history of the Isabel Martin page, it is not a GA, it was created back in January 2017. Although the article expanded, its prose did not expand five times. So, I don't see why Hawkeye7 is claiming a DYK for both the Isabel Martin and the World Championship pages. I also don't see enough independent coverage to justify the article under GNG. It is interesting that both Hawkeye7 and newly-minted admin Valereee were involved in this article.

EDIT: I now see that Hawkeye7 was holding this article in draft space for 2.5 years, and it was moved into article space on June 1, 2019. How many other "Laura Hale specials" are waiting as draft stubs?
Last edited by eagle on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 am

And the harassment card...

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... Harassment

How many eerie parallels do I have to dig up?

Editor review(not deprecated)
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... Cwmhiraeth
On a more general note, there's been some implication that the current situation has arisen because Cwmhiraeth is connected with the right people or projects and her critics are not. I am not convinced this is proven, simply because, in my experience, Wikipedia has an extremely high tolerance for editors who are productive, good-faith—and regularly make mistakes. In one case where I was peripherally involved, an editor was creating a large number of very short articles with various stylistic infelicities and periodic errors due to a failure to do basic cross-checking of a single source. He wasn't particularly well socially connected, as far as I can tell, and he wasn't doing it for DYK/GA/FA. But whenever other editors in the area got upset with his work, he refused to engage with their criticism, and someone always turned up to say "Look at all the work he does! You can't sanction him just because you don't like..." This dragged on for four years, with increasingly personal animosity between the editor and his critics, before ArbCom sanctioned him and admonished one of his principal critics for (self-admitted) misbehavior. For better or for worse, this kind of tolerance is endemic here, and trying to attribute it to a single small clique is not likely to be accurate. Choess (talk) 05:27, 9 April 2014 (UTC)
Laura Hale was both connected and prolifically bad.

The most unclean one was all over this terrible editor too.
For a start, you can begin with Atriolum robustum, a DYK from February 2014 (so fairly recent, and an article you considered good enough to have on the main page), which contains some facts which are clearly contradicted by the sources you use to support them. I'm not qualified to judge everything in the article, so others may do a more thorough check, but at least one error is obvious enough to be found without expert scientific background. Oh, and I don't think you should ever use Whatsthatfish[6] as a source, it's as far as I can tell a wiki, not a reliable source. Fram (talk) 09:17, 10 April 2014 (UTC)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm

eagle wrote:As you know Laura Hale was rightly criticized by Fram for abusing the DYK rules to publicize Paralympic athletes. In general, she created Paralympic articles about athletes who may not have been notable in their own right, and certainly not Paralympic medal winners.
Surely a few of these should be taken to AfD. What would happen? Would there be a storm of sympathy for these poor disabled people fighting hard and triumphing over adversity and so on?

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 pm

Any sighting of any LH socks, or any news of her "vanished" fate? We may not hear anything until Wikimania.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:56 am

eagle wrote:Any sighting of any LH socks, or any news of her "vanished" fate? We may not hear anything until Wikimania.
Keep an eye on grant requests... It's all about the Benjamins, baby...

RfB

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:04 am

I wish I could say there's no way they'd give grant money to someone who has done the public equivalent of self-banishment—after all the whole purpose of RTV is to be gone, not to get a fresh start. But given Olatunde Isaac (a/k/a "T Cells", f/k/a "Wikicology") is still participating in grant-funded projects despite his enwiki siteban, I have no doubt LH could make a quiet comeback.

It's so stupid too. Why the hell did she RTV? She could have owned this narrative either by going public as the complainant, or by going public and saying she's not the complainant, and then accused many of those involved of harassment and precipitating an anti-LGBT witch-hunt. Instead she RTVs right in the middle of everything. That, actually, almost makes me think she'll stay gone for a good long while. Perhaps at her spouse's insistence, since this was threatening that wiki-career in addition to LH's own.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:49 am

That’s cute, you think Maria Sefidari has a wiki career ahead.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 am

Vigilant wrote:That’s cute, you think Maria Sefidari has a wiki career ahead.
I'm too cynical to think she won't stay right where she is, or even if she doesn't get reelected to the Board, get hired by WMF for god-knows-what.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:16 am

mendaliv wrote:
Vigilant wrote:That’s cute, you think Maria Sefidari has a wiki career ahead.
I'm too cynical to think she won't stay right where she is, or even if she doesn't get reelected to the Board, get hired by WMF for god-knows-what.
Oh, she's still right in the hub of money and power, Vig. You are way, way too optimistic.

RfB

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:46 am

Vigilant wrote: That’s cute, you think Maria Sefidari has a wiki career ahead.
Maria is chair of a $100 million per year non-profit. In addition, she took a background in "tourism promotion" without a PhD, and parlayed it into a faculty slot at a university in Madrid teaching in a masters program. I have not reviewed her peer reviewed academic publications, so I can't judge her future academic prospects.

In general, ones status as a "young, bright up-and-comer" has a limited shelf life. Perhaps she can reinvent herself as a wiki careerist, but LH is not a good positive asset in such a transformation.

The last community-elected WMF Chair to make a successful wiki career transformation was Mindspillage (Kat Walsh) who got a staff legal position with the creative commons folks. But she was searching for a job for a long time.

The basic problem is defining the scope of a "wiki career." If one uses Jimbo as a role model, it means hitting the speaking circuit. If one uses Larry Sanger as a role model, it means realizing that the WMF is not here to build an encyclopedia and moving on to try starting another encyclopedia. Does it mean researching ways to channel Google juice for fun and profit or does it mean finding ways to redirect the annual flood of WMF donations into social justice warrior channels? Obviously, this oppressed female, lesbian who does not speak English as her first language, has overcome all such handicaps to sit at the pinacle of wiki-power with her one true love, while you as a white, hetero, articulate English-speaking male could not harness all of your unearned privilege to reach the lowest level of wiki-status. You are not even the toast of Gilbraltar. You are not even the Wikipedian-in-Residence in the Tower of London. You are not even a bench warmer at WikiWomenCamp. Anyone tied to reality and competence cannot even concieve of the upper bounds of a meaningful "wiki career."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:15 am

mendaliv wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
eagle wrote:Any sighting of any LH socks, or any news of her "vanished" fate? We may not hear anything until Wikimania.
Keep an eye on grant requests... It's all about the Benjamins, baby...

RfB
I wish I could say there's no way they'd give grant money to someone who has done the public equivalent of self-banishment—after all the whole purpose of RTV is to be gone, not to get a fresh start. But given Olatunde Isaac (a/k/a "T Cells", f/k/a "Wikicology") is still participating in grant-funded projects despite his enwiki siteban, I have no doubt LH could make a quiet comeback.
Presumably, a grant would be to a named individual, not an anonymous account name. The WMF might wish to ignore a site ban imposed by the local community; after all, it's not a SanFranBan.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:28 am

[Regarding the possibility of "legally-cognizable damages"]

Look at it from the WMF perspective:
Step One, to improve "civility" WMF adopts a new policy authorizing T&S to investigate "incivility" complaints and to issue unannounced and unappealable one year blocks from single projects (vs. permanent bans from all projects.)

Step Two, WMF does a special outreach only to underpresented and oppressed groups explaining the new procedures, encouraging oppressed minority groups to make complaints.

Step Three, WMF neglects to notify the en:WP editor community broadly of the change or of the fact that this will preempt the normal complaint procedure handled on-wiki by volunteers. Unlike the on-wiki procedures, no WP:BOOMERANG will be available to deter meritless complaints.

Step Four, instead of using staff who understand the complex wiki-rules including the rules that protect admins from the hostility inherent in regulating head-strong volunteers, the WMF assigns staff to T&S based on their language skills and the "child protection" focus of the T&S original scope.

Step Five, T&S training documents are not publicly released or subject to community review.

Step Six, the T&S process has four levels of review, the final decision resting with the Executive Director, who has virtually no editing experience on en:WP but knows the identity of her boss the WMF Chair and the spouse of the WMF Chair..

Step Seven, as was highly foreseeable, the spouse of the WMF Chair makes a complaint against Fram based upon the WMF outreach to female and LGTBQ editor interest groups. Ironically, when an en:WP editor had complained to WMF about the spouse's editing and claims of conduct unbecoming a WMF Fellow, she went to ArbCom claiming that the editor was WP:OUTING her.

Step Eight, the T&S ordered Fram to stop interacting with the spouse (by name) and later blocked him for a year, with the WMF Chair recusing herself, although not publicly stating the nature and full scope of her recusal.

Step Nine, Fram has a long history of making critical comments when the WMF rolls out poorly designed software projects.

Step Ten, all hell breaks loose, and the spouse "vanishes".

WMF defense is that we are just trying to protect disadvantaged and minority editors in order to create a "safe editing space". The problem is that the spouse 1) is not a newbie editor, 2) keeps making incompetent mistakes, 3) does not take the wiki-rules seriously, 4) has been aggressive against male editors, 5) did not disclose her relationship to the WMF Chair, 6) the WMF Chair rejoined the Board after a coup outsting the duly-elected Community Trustee Doc James, and 7) the WMF Chair, the spouse and the Executive Director were all tone deaf as to the appearance of impropriety (some may even say "shitty" or "GamerGate" like).

If the WMF wanted to create a safe space which promotes a friendlier atmosphere for minority and disadvantaged editors, they could issue public statements to the effect of "We don't know which editors have minority or disadvantaged backgrounds, but we are need to work together, so please keep it civil and watch out to language that may be offensive to others." Once they moved towards a policy that addresses specific interactions between specific admins and editors, the WMF should make clear that their mechanism could not guarantee the privacy of the complanant. Just like a US court cannot issue an order of protection preventing interaction between two individuals without putting that order (naming names) into the public realm, it is impossible for the WMF to keep this quiet or to insulate the WMF Chair's role in such complaints from scruitiny. Just think, what would happen if First Lady Melania Trump went to court for a restraining order against Sen. Chuck Schumer because he makes critical comments to the press while visiting her rose garden. President Trump could not escape political criticism by claiming to recuse himself from the case.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 pm

When you set your sensibilities based upon Wikipedia Commons: Yes, please document and bring back a souvenir condom from the Rio Paralympic Games.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:04 am

[Regarding staff and/or executive positions at the Wikimedia Foundation as a "career dead-end"]

I think that there are different categories where this may or may not be true:
  • Executive Directors - Yes, because this is not a career path that would lead to a job at a bigger non-profit
  • Software developer - Yes, because so many products have flopped and the place has a bad reputation.
  • Legal - No, while I don't think that the WMF is a good client to take when joining a law firm, in house lawyers can get jobs at other organizations seeking in-house positions
  • T&S staff - Too early to tell, but T&S staff members is a suddenly created growth industry.
  • HR & Training - If the Working Group recommendations are adopted, WMF foundation will grow an international team to train admins and others to resolve conflicts. They will create better hiring practices to screen out "throat punchers". Time will tell whether those staff can move to other companies.
  • Partnership Development Staff - In many organizations, this is called the sales staff. Time will tell.
However, without regard to the transferability of skills, the question remains whether WMF can attract talent because of the toxic work culture. Certainly, asking T&S to investigate a complaint from the wife of the Board Chair did not improve the culture there.

It is not clear if Maria has a tenure track position at her University or if she is on a fixed term contract. She is definitely a survivor and is much better at politics than anyone on WO. She will do fine in Spain even if she never holds another WMF position. Laura Hale does not appear to be a comfortable fix in Spain, because she still is learning Spanish. If she stays in Spain long term, there are a number of mid-level positions in Madrid for native-speakers of English, so she will not be unemployed. However, unless she manages to publish some papers in peer-reviewed jouranls soon, her PhD her academic career is probably DOA. Her expertise in the combination of social media and sports (without using big data) is a non-starter, because people want big data experts who can answer questions using the available ocean of data, rather than end each discussion with "further study is necessary."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Something unsavory this way comes.

Laura Hale penned a piece where she details how to teach 14 year old children how to write better gay porn stories...
Laura Hale wrote:So how do you make a fourteen year old write better fan fiction? More important,
according to a fourteen year old acquaintance, how do you make your fourteen
year olds write better m/m slash?

Sex and intimacy, important components of slash and good slash. Another
component is fan fiction, m/m slash culture. The last component, and possibly
the most important one, is putting all of that stuff together.

Teaching
all this is not a simple thing. Remember, this age group isn’t always the most
receptive to valuing feedback in certain forms, isn’t necessarily writing to
learn about writing to become better writers. They write for fun, like feedback,
can and do use it to become better writers.

But hot damned, how do you teach a person to write in character? How do you
teach your teenage m/m slash fan to write in character in the context of a story
involving two guys going at it? There are two options that come immediately to
mind.

Sex and intimacy. Ouch and wow. My fourteen year old Good Charlotte slash
writing buddy’s answer to teaching her teen friends on how to write better
slash? Pop them all in front of a television, watch a little gay porn and they
should be set. My reaction to that as a twenty-five year old not interested in
gay porn was horror. There is this double edged sword here. Younger writers can
teach their own, to a certain degree, about the sexually explicit material and
how to write it using those examples. Adults teaching a fourteen year old how to
write erotic or pornographic sex scenes featuring two guys, citing pornography
and adult material, this might be a bit of an ethical nightmare and legal
liability.

The next thing to do is create general rec
lists of stories featuring m/m sex scenes. To cover your butt legally,
make sure the story ratings and contents are spelled out and don’t
explicitly label your rec list as “Read these teenage writers! Read
them and behold the writing of good m/m slashy sex scenes that will
make you wet! Yeah!” Try for something a bit more subdued and less
obvious. You get good examples out there and no one needs to be the
wiser that you have ulterior motives of teaching the teeny fangirls how
to become better m/m slash writers.
From the comments...
Too late, it has been deleted. The author of the piece, PurplePopple, explains at FandomWank:
“The entry was deleted at the request of DragonScholar, the community admin, because he didn’t want the community to be associated with pedophilia.”
To which I say, DUHHHHHH!
She doesn't see why that's a problem.
It’s true that Ms. Purplepopple has removed her polemic, but further excerpts including the travails of a heroic commenter on her thread can be found in an adjunct post to the one Lee references above. It’s here:
http://skrikespeaks.blogspot.com/2005/1 ... -have.html
And, of course, those fun folks at Fandom Wank are beating themselves into a tizzy over it. That folderol can be found here:
http://www.journalfen.net/community/fan ... 33452.html
Apparently, this is typical behavior for Laura...
Ah, well, that’s PurplePopple (Laura Hale) for you. I know plenty of folk in online fandom who have longstanding bets as to how long it’ll be before she gets arrested for harassment, making false claims, fraud, and now, apparently, rather unsavory involvement with a minor. For the record, I doubt she actually wants to have sex with her underage writing “buddy”; she’s just been so warped by so many years spent buried in the sickest parts of online fandom that her entire value system has been turned upside down – writing a “Mary Sue” character is to her, an unforgivable crime, but encouraging underage teens to pen explicit sexual stories – and giving them the “pointers” with which to do so – is par for the course. She is certainly a smug and repellent example of the fanfic writing set, though, I would say, hopefully not typical.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:23 pm

A little light blackmail...
[Wikimediaau-l] Funding situation and board priorities

Laura Hale Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:53:48 -0800

Hi,

I havent recieved any off list contact inquiring about bank details or
follow up regarding when we will get the funding allocated to us. This has
been pretty much dragging on and on. I really wish we could all move on
with this, especially to the Paralympic project that John supports that
involves paying people to publish a commercial book and create a commercial
iPhone application.

But as the board seems to be keen to respond to e-mails, I feel they should
have had time today to do lots of stuff, they should have had time to send
us an e-mail off list to get our bank details to start the payment transfer
process.

This delay reflects badly on the board because it indicates the cannot
handle money effectively. This is not something the board should be
delaying on when they successfully got a grant of $0 for the chapter from
the Foundation, do not appear to have appealed by stripping from funding
request of everything does that not explicitly support WMF's goals and do
not appear to be headed in that direction with the newest plan.

As the amount requested is large and the response time is ... well,
delayed, unless there is some indication that the board will be in touch
with myself or bidgee privately to deal with this, I will go to meta with a
link to WM-AU's funding approval and explain the situation and ask what
recourse can be taken. I'll probably do this in about 24 to 48 hours.
I'd rather not have to do this because I want to improve our chapter's
chances of getting funding but if the board isn't responsible enough to
handle it without intervention, then we're stuck.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--
mobile: 0412183663
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Some very weak analysisby a putative PhD student...
Wikipedia, sports and the gender gap

Guest post by Laura Hale

I write about women’s sport on English Wikipedia. Unlike scientists, artists, and other professional women, the media have paid little attention to how Wikipedia treats female athletes. The problem is particularly acute in terms of article naming and categorization because English Wikipedia has this tendency to treat sportspeople as men by default, with women being treated as inherently inferior. The best example of this is the national team naming structure, which almost always has the genderless national team article about men, and the gendered article name about women. This occurs despite the fact that by rule almost all of these sports are segregated by gender. If you’re a female sportsperson, that sends a horrifying message.

This pattern is often repeated when it comes to categories. Men are not categorized by gender, while women are systematically categorized by gender. Or when a male and female category exists, the men stay in the main category and the women are moved out. The worst I’ve ever seen was when all the women were systematically moved out of “softball players” and into “female softball players”, leaving only articles about men. This happened despite the fact that softball has historically been a women’s game. Again, the message is that women are supposedly inferior and not equal to their male counterparts. This default language part is particularly troubling because it creates barriers. Despite the verifiability of the fact that sport is segregated by gender and what seems to be an inherently neutral position of gender specifying the teams, the argument on Wikipedia amounts to the fact that men’s teams are inherently more notable, and are thus primary topics. Neutrality, being specific, following verifiability should be secondary to serving the reader’s interest in finding the most notable team without gender in play.

I’ve seen a fair amount of work discussing the differences between male and female artists and scientists, but none on national teams. The Wikipedia content for the most popular sports is better for men, has more sources, has more pictures, on average is longer in length, and is created sooner than for articles about female members of national teams.

This situation is particularly appalling given the important role of exercise and participation in sport when it comes to women’s health. At the same time, women’s participation in sports and sports governance are often reflective of broader societal treatment of women that may not be as publicly visible elsewhere. Think about the story of the Saudi Arabian women being excluded from the Olympic team and the fatwas issued to prevent women from playing soccer in several countries in Africa. The portrayal on Wikipedia of women’s participation in sports is systematically marginalized in a way that it violates the “neutral point of view”, one of the five pillars for editing on Wikipedia. This is not good for Wikipedia, and broadly speaking, it is not good for women’s health issues globally.

It also discourages women from editing in sports topics because the sexism is so built into the system. Women get actively discouraged from participating and are being attacked for questioning the assumption that the default is male and should remain male because of the false premise that men’s sport is inherently superior. That’s not the sort of positive messaging that will get women contributing to articles about elite women in sports.

Further, issues on Wikipedia regarding women in sports appear to mirror problems faced by media and sports in general. This includes participation levels both at the athlete and administrator level. There has recently been a large discussion about media coverage of women in sports and the treatment of female sports journalists.

This is really, really problematic for sports and a situation not necessarily true in other domains. Scientists are not by rule segregated by gender in doing their work and in who they compete against. The same is true for popular culture topics, academia, art and other domains that have historically been the focus of gender gap work. Hence, on some level this feels worse than other forms of discrimination at the heart of categorygate (during which women novelists were moved out of the American novelists category} and few people seem to talk about it. My supposition would be that this is because of the people attracted to writing about the gender gap focus on areas of interest, which can play along feminist lines, and sports does not fit into that mold.

This is an area where I feel particularly passionate about because I feel it has largely been neglected in the gender gap narrative. That’s sad because I think sports public profile for bringing attention to women’s issue is huge. The Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, are starting on February 7 and we’re going to hear all these stories about strong, capable women who are the best at what they do in the world. Rarely does that happen on a global level where you hear so many stories about so many women. And the cultural implications for women’s involvement or lack of involvement in sport should be there. I’ve talked to a number of sportswomen and having a Wikipedia article is seen as a clear sign that they’ve made it. Validating our best is good, because it encourages more of them.

Laura Hale is a Ph.D. student at the University of Canberra, who is studying sport and social media. As a Wikipedian, she has created over 1,200 articles with over 40 percent of them about women. She has served as a Wikipedian in Residence for the Australian Paralympic Committee and the Spanish Paralympic Committee. She is also active in a leadership role in the Wikimedia movement, having served as the vice president of Wikimedia Australia, and the provisional chairperson of The Wikinewsie Group.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:40 pm

Shades of today from yesterday.
Her analysis skills are so weak.
If she were in a hard science or at a competent university, she'd have been drummed out a long time before she got within spitting distance of any degree.
Wikid GRRLS
Teaching Girls Online Skills for Knowledge Projects

The role of English Wikipedia’s top content creators in perpetuating gender bias

Top Wikipedia editors compared to the rest of the community, including bots. Source: Wikipedia Signpost, January 22, 2014 URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ial_report

Guest post by Laura Hale

According to the Wikipedia user “Ktr101“, the top 5,000 article creators on English Wikipedia have created 60% of all articles on the project. The top 1,000 article creators account for 42% of all Wikipedia articles alone.

Wikipedia has a well-known gender gap when it comes to contributors who are editing and writing articles.

“Ktr101” made the connection between the two issues in their piece for the community-written Wikipedia newspaper Signpost, saying:

” With the already low numbers of females on the site, this means that there will be more coverage of male-oriented topics. If an article is not covered immediately, there is a good chance that it will be created in the coming years. Unfortunately, this means that whatever female-oriented topics are out there will probably get further neglected, as there is less of a chance that someone will even know that the subject exists, never mind it being notable enough for an article (when in doubt, go for it). The amount of these super page creators only exacerbates the problem, as it means that the users who are mass-creating pages are probably not doing neglected topics, and this tilts our coverage disproportionately towards male-oriented topics.”

This does bring up the question: How bad is the gender gap in terms of article creation by Wikipedia’s top content creators? Are “super users” exacerbating the problem by overwhelming creating new articles at males and not creating large numbers of articles about women?

The easy answer to that question is to get the percentage breakdown by gender for of all of English Wikipedia’s top 5,000 editors. This is easier said then done for a number of reasons. The first is the ability to easily label articles as male, female and neutral. Some of this will be inherently subjective. Some of it might actually require content analysis, because an article about say “Netball in Jamaica” could have been primarily written by someone interested in the men’s game despite the sport being historically female. In that case, the article could be turned on its head and simple female coding for female could be wrong. If just doing it from a list, it requires a lot of knowledge about names and verifying gender facts. Lindsay is one of those unisex names that can be male or female. If a person is writing mostly about Australians, the name is probably going to be male. If a person is writing about U.S. Americans, then it will probably be female. Again, cultural knowledge or authentication by viewing the article is needed. Then there is the purely subjective stuff: Should “Sex and the City” be female, should “Futurama” be male or should “West Wing” be gender neutral? Should the Abbott Ministry be male because Tony Abbott is male and most of the ministry is male (and some policies are seen as anti-female) or should it be gender neutral because women are on it and a ministry is not inherently a sexed concept? Such coding is inherently problematic and makes potential replication very difficult, especially since we are not looking at a few articles but thousands of unique articles. Any research realistically may not be able to be duplicated.

REPORT THIS AD

Despite that, the question is still worth answering and worth considering. I wanted to do this, but given the time constraints because of some of the coding issues mentioned above, I was only able to examine the contributions of 20 of the top 5,000 contributors. This sample size represents only 0.4% of all people on that list. To give an idea as to the top 5,000 article creators on the list, the mode number of articles created was 101, the median was 108 and the average was 4,009. Across all 5,000 article creators, this is not quite a match. For the 5,000 the mode was 107, median was 205 and the average was 536. The quartiles for the sampled population are 101, 108, 1315.5, and 40016. For all 5,000 contributors, they are 135, 205, 400.5 and 94,756. In all, 80,196 articles were included in this sample. Not an exact representative sample but for my purposes of trying to begin to understand patterns and hoping to encourage others to continue this research, it is good enough.

For my purposes, women’s articles are defined as biographies about women, articles about groups of women, things heavily featuring women, articles about fictional women, or articles that almost entirely discuss only women. Example: Hillary Clinton, Canberra Capitals, The Good Wife, Lisa Simpson, African-American women in politics. The same applied for articles about men. Neutral gender articles were articles that did not fit into these categories.

Using this criteria, 1,412 articles were identified as female, 4,595 were identified as male, and 74,189 were identified as gender neutral. On the face of it, woot, woot. Ignoring the gender-neutral articles, 23.5% of all articles were about women. This certainly beats the estimated contributor gender gap. Except the data suggests this is factually no true in terms of “super users” creating articles about women. Of those in the sample, 5 people did not write an article that was gendered either way. Four people wrote zero articles about women but did write articles about men. That puts it at 45% of the sampled contributors not writing about women (and men), and of the people writing a gendered article, 26% of them not writing about women. This is where a bigger sample size would probably come in handy, but it is still a bit depressing.

When looking at gendered article writers only for their gendered content, only one contributor was at 50% of their articles being about women. The next closest created 38% of their articles about women. The third was at 25%. The fourth most popular was 19% and the fifth was 13%. That rounds out the top 25% of creators of content about women. The remaining 75% (including our non-gendered writers) average 2.6% of their content about women. The remaining 75% writing about gendered topics write 4.7% of their content about women.

English Wikipedia’s “super users” are not contributing much to content focusing on women. This is problematic on multiple levels. The first is return on investment (ROI). A lot of money is currently being spent on encouraging new contributors to come to the project and write articles about women. There are edit-a-thons and training sessions and wiki stormings. All of these cost in terms of volunteer hours and money. Research shows that edit-a-thons are not actually very cost productive in terms of generating new content and developing a new cohort of users. A lot of times, articles developed at these events get deleted or nominated for deletion within seconds of going live. The return on investment is very high to create a cohort of new users to fix the gap.

That isn’t to say that women should not be recruited and should not be encouraged to add articles about women to Wikipedia. They absolutely should. On some level, the more this editing is normalized, the better.

It just is not a cost and time effective solution to fixing the representation gap for women on Wikipedia. The best option is to encourage the top 5,000 editors to create articles about women and to incentivize this group. The sheer volume of articles they have created indicates they have a good understanding of what makes a person or topic notable for the purposes of being eligible for an article. They do not need to learn the interface because they probably mastered it on their way to creating these articles. They have accumulated reputation that for a number of them makes their articles much less likely to be deleted. The group is clearly passionate about Wikipedia, enough to create a large number of articles. The costs to get them to switch over to creating content about women is probably much lower.

The second problem, once return on investment is out of the way, is one Ktr101 alludes to: If top content creators continue with their current contribution patterns, the under representation of women is likely to get worse, not better. If one assumes a new article creation rate of only 0.1% (including non-gendered) or 8.9% (excluding non-gendered) articles are about women, it means that the remaining non-“super users” who have only created 40% of the existing articles need to fill the gap. And existing research on Wikipedia editor recruitment and retention suggests this is just not a feasible solution. Despite all the efforts to recruit and retain editors, it just isn’t happening. More and more articles are being created by “super users” and there is no growth pattern that suggests this option of relying on new users is not feasible.

The third issue is relying almost exclusively on new contributors to create new content women as a way of offsetting the gender imbalance does nothing to address perception problems related to Wikipedia being male and cliquey. Using business jargon, Wikimedia Foundation provides a service: free knowledge for public consumption. The service has stakeholders, a key group of which are the elite content creators. The “super users” in this elite content creating group provide 60% of Wikipedia’s content. They provide most of the material for public consumption for another one of Wikimedia’s key stakeholders which are colloquially known as readers. In this area, the two groups of key Wikimedia stakeholders are actually acting counter to the goal of the Wikimedia Foundation because one group is actively not providing information that another wants. Worse yet, because of behaviors by one group (or at least the perception of their behaviors), it hurts the ability of the Wikimedia Foundation to grow readers and to grow another stakeholder group, regular and new-contributors. One of the ways to offset this gender imbalance that creates this perception problem and lack of information problem is to change not reader desires but the behavior of the “super users” who are perceived as “being” Wikipedia. And after these “super users” create the articles about women, highlight them and talk up their work.

English Wikipedia’s top content creators play a role in perpetuating gender bias on the project, and steps should be taken to do more research on the project and to understand the implications of what this means in a broader gender gap perspective.

Laura Hale is a Ph.D. student at the University of Canberra, who is studying sport and social media. As a Wikipedian, she has created over 1,200 articles with over 40 percent of them about women. She has served as a Wikipedian in Residence for the Australian Paralympic Committee and the Spanish Paralympic Committee. She is also active in a leadership role in the Wikimedia movement, having served as the vice president of Wikimedia Australia, and the provisional chairperson of The Wikinewsie Group.
The money shot
It just is not a cost and time effective solution to fixing the representation gap for women on Wikipedia. The best option is to encourage the top 5,000 editors to create articles about women and to incentivize this group. The sheer volume of articles they have created indicates they have a good understanding of what makes a person or topic notable for the purposes of being eligible for an article. They do not need to learn the interface because they probably mastered it on their way to creating these articles. They have accumulated reputation that for a number of them makes their articles much less likely to be deleted. The group is clearly passionate about Wikipedia, enough to create a large number of articles. The costs to get them to switch over to creating content about women is probably much lower.
This would make you a SPA.
That's not something that's typically encouraged.

Additionally, how do you square this cowpat of a proposal with the TABOO on paid editing?
How do you prevent Gibraltarpedia II or ParaOlympicSportsDiarrhea II in this grand new venture?
And let me guess, there would be a need for a small cadre of PAID administrators to manage this new effort and who better to receive one of these docent style positions than dear old PurplePopple?

Grifters gonna grift.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:44 pm

A partial roadmap of where the WMF has paid to send Laura...
Laura Hale
Twitter: purplepopple
Identi.ca: purplepopple

Biography

Laura Hale is a strong believer in the idea that freely sharing knowledge about women and disability related topics is one of the best ways to highlight and address concerns about these groups. Her efforts in sharing knowledge, mostly about women and disability sport, have taken her around the world to London, Amsterdam, Zaragoza, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Denver, Vail, San Francisco and Buenos Aires. Inside the movement, she was one of backers of the women’s only Wikimedia leadership conference, was the vice president of her local chapter, attended the London Paralympics as a member of the press to cover the Games for Wikinews, has created over 350 DYKs and 40 GAs on English Wikipedia of which most are about women or people with disabilities, presented about Wikimedia at two academic conferences, organised several wiki related conferences, had a project she was involved with recognised by Australia’s Minister for Sport in Australia’s Parliament, and extensively covered women and disability sport on WMF projects. She is currently a PhD student specialising in social media methodologies and sport.
What, no Madrid?
How many of those GAs need to be reviewed?
How many of the articles that didn't make GA need to be deleted?
How many of these articles were PAID EDITING and not disclosed?

This certainly looks like a progress report from a contractor to a client.

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:53 pm

By the way, here is one of Laura's Twitter accounts: link and here is the archived version of it: link. Laura Hale also edited WikiHow, here's her userpage: link and here's an article she wrote, called "How to Request Micro Funding from Wikimedia Australia for Your Australian Wiki Project": link. Here's the archived version of it: link. She also has a YouTube channel: link, and here's the archived version of it: link.
Last edited by Katie on Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Katie wrote:...and here's an article she wrote, called "How to Request Micro Funding from Wikimedia Australia for Your Australian Wiki Project"
Oh my god.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Sound familiar?
Michaela Ecks, aka Laura Hale, aka partly_bouncy and purplepopple and probably a few other things, is not a reliable source. She is notorious in certain segments of fandom for her shoddy scholarship. Her stated philosophy is that she would rather put some information, *any* information, out there — even if it’s wrong — than no information at all. She blithely assumes that if the information is wrong, someone will come along and correct it, and doesn’t seem to realize that corrections virtually never get spread as widely as the original misinformation.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Sound familiar?
They are getting orgaisms from your positive or negative reaction.
Bullyonline . Org (click cyber bulky area)

They are part of a group that aims to bully & mentally fuck you over by using rules as an excuse. They're not the first or last little shits. There are too many who do this on this site. Even some of the old moderators(still around as mods?) encouraged some little shit's bs, there's old archives about their crap. Someone tied to the old/still around mods posts personal information on purpose at her ffn blog fanhistory. That shitty human being is Laura Hala or Michaela ecks aka lord

Lord Kevin is part of another shitty group of little shit called the literate union, they did the same damn shit. Those little shits were friends or also part of the other little shit group critics united. And before them there was the fireplace, where little shits came from literate union or critic unite. Or become like the independent little shits who take their frustrations out on you. What they have in common is they call their gay pussy asses flamers. But the moderators also have encouraged or even joined these little shits' groups. If Michaela ecks was ever a mod. If not th other mods did support little shits at one point and did seem to threatened to kick members off this site for bad mouthing ffn. Or threaten to do something with personal info, and I'm not talking about that asshole Michaela Ecks posting shit on that piece of shit site
I read a whole journalfen thing about the mods(and michaela ecks) of this site throwing shit that's how.i know.

This site is a breeding ground for little shits, the .kds hate you esp if one of Michaela ecks- they're probably sending viruses to your laptop to kill time, and there are no rules

Give the critic united shits a middle finger then see how many stories they can get deleted on this dead site. This won't even get deleted. I've reported stories from the little shits from the literate union(they did the same exact shit no creativity) at least 10 times 5 years ago. No one gives a shit in the higher ups.

Keep breaking g the rules twice as much as you've been reported

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Huh.

A serial liar and bad actor trying to cash in on other people's work...

Who could've guessed?
http://asylums.insanejournal.com/metametameta/7987.html

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Laura Hale apologizes for being a giant dick but nobody's buying because they're figured out that she's a sociopath.

https://sl-walker.livejournal.com/156925.html

Some of the comments in here show just what a sociopath Laura Hale is.
Reading recommended.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 pm

SLW80
Contributor

Unread post by SLW80 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:25 am

Discussing some of her stuff on fail-fandomanon: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/ ... t212373188

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:40 pm

SLW80 wrote:Discussing some of her stuff on fail-fandomanon: https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/ ... t212373188
Holy Ouroboros.

The fandom people were watching Laura Hale grift wikipedia in 2012...
Re: Proof that Wikipedia is a fandom?
Date: 2012-12-10 06:18 pm (UTC)

(Thread OP)Oh, jeez, what a thundering lack of self-awareness. I stumbled across Laura Hale's name on Wikipedia while following my ongoing interest in the culture of the site (which combines the worst parts of WOW, the US Congress, and the wankier bits of online fandom); she was involved in a Request for Arbitration called "Racepacket" or maybe "Racepacket 2" and came away with an interaction ban and an admonisment. She gets discussed in Good Article Review and Fine Article Review over her sterling lack of writing skills, she gets into edit wars and other wikisnitfits, and, as per the top link, has come to the attention of the wikicritics in their current lair of villany, Wikipediocracy.

Makes herself at home wherever she goes, that one, and is apparently unable to learn from experience.
Paging Hawkeye7, white courtesy telephone...
Wow.

What amazes me is her ability to find people to act as her intermediaries, like Kayjayuu is doing there. She does this all the time; she sends people in to fight her battles and take heat for her instead of doing it herself, on the excuse that if she got involved it would be "too controversial." That person is usually someone who hasn't known her for very long, and they get embroiled in her wank for a while, and then they're never heard from again or they come out later railing against her. It's one of the things I find most worrying about her -- this ability and willingness to manipulate people who seem perfectly nice into getting shit on for her sake.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:50 pm

https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/ ... t212373188
I kind of hate myself for how fascinated I am by Laura Hale and her scammy ways. It's like picking a scab or something.
Believe me, I understand: I don't go looking for her, but she pops up in places where I have an established interest (Wikipedia is a roiling cauldron of wank, and there's a bunch of subjects where I am concerned about conterfactual editing for professional reasons) and it's never because she's behaving in a fashion which should be a model to us all, so to speak.
Quite.
My bosses' husband is part of Wikipedia's hatedom. What a creep.
The Wikipediocracy crowd, or one of the manifold other hatedoms? There's a wide range from utter creeps to wide-eyed idealsits at Wikipediocracy, but some of the other places start low and go downward quickly.

(And then there's Greg Kohser, who's got a lot in common with Laura Hale in the narcissism and sociopathy metrics).
Ouch.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Re: Proof that Wikipedia is a fandom?
Date: 2012-12-10 06:18 pm (UTC)

(Thread OP)Oh, jeez, what a thundering lack of self-awareness. I stumbled across Laura Hale's name on Wikipedia while following my ongoing interest in the culture of the site (which combines the worst parts of WOW, the US Congress, and the wankier bits of online fandom); she was involved in a Request for Arbitration called "Racepacket" or maybe "Racepacket 2" and came away with an interaction ban and an admonisment. She gets discussed in Good Article Review and Fine Article Review over her sterling lack of writing skills, she gets into edit wars and other wikisnitfits, and, as per the top link, has come to the attention of the wikicritics in their current lair of villany, Wikipediocracy.

Makes herself at home wherever she goes, that one, and is apparently unable to learn from experience.
Second bolding mine. What an absolutely genius observation.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Smiley wrote:https://fail-fandomanon.dreamwidth.org/ ... t212373188
I kind of hate myself for how fascinated I am by Laura Hale and her scammy ways. It's like picking a scab or something.
Believe me, I understand: I don't go looking for her, but she pops up in places where I have an established interest (Wikipedia is a roiling cauldron of wank, and there's a bunch of subjects where I am concerned about conterfactual editing for professional reasons) and it's never because she's behaving in a fashion which should be a model to us all, so to speak.
Quite.
I totally understand that actually. It just friggin happens. Honestly I've long been of the opinion that a lot of the "protective" policies on-wiki, such as those governing hounding, should be weakened with respect to high-visibility members of the movement, who are going to attract attention just as a result of their visibility (especially board members, chapter board members, staff, and people within their orbits). If they can just shut down any criticism or review of their edits by crying "hounding", when that attention is wholly organic, the whole damn system falls apart.
My bosses' husband is part of Wikipedia's hatedom. What a creep.
The Wikipediocracy crowd, or one of the manifold other hatedoms? There's a wide range from utter creeps to wide-eyed idealsits at Wikipediocracy, but some of the other places start low and go downward quickly.

(And then there's Greg Kohser, who's got a lot in common with Laura Hale in the narcissism and sociopathy metrics).
Ouch.
The term "hatedom" is kind of funny though.

Really what I'd like to see is an increased professionalism of WMF critical/skeptic movements. Kind of like a watchdog organization rather than a pure criticism site. Like any number of orgs with "watch" in their name (like Human Rights Watch and dozens of others). Just imagine "Wikimedia Watch".

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:29 am

Vigilant wrote:
Ah, well, that’s PurplePopple (Laura Hale) for you. I know plenty of folk in online fandom who have longstanding bets as to how long it’ll be before she gets arrested for harassment, making false claims, fraud, and now, apparently, rather unsavory involvement with a minor. For the record, I doubt she actually wants to have sex with her underage writing “buddy”; she’s just been so warped by so many years spent buried in the sickest parts of online fandom that her entire value system has been turned upside down – writing a “Mary Sue” character is to her, an unforgivable crime, but encouraging underage teens to pen explicit sexual stories – and giving them the “pointers” with which to do so – is par for the course. She is certainly a smug and repellent example of the fanfic writing set, though, I would say, hopefully not typical.
As a part of its "child protection" role, someone should send this to T&S to investigate. Also, to take an unfortunate quote out of context:
Raystorm wrote: If the committee decides to only fund one person, it should be LauraHale. I can later hook up with her and she can relay her experiences.
linkhttps://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants: ... _La_Molina[/link]

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 am

I'm certain that the Raystorm quote
If the committee decides to only fund one person, it should be LauraHale. I can later hook up with her and she can relay her experiences.
was intended to be an inside joke.

SLW80
Contributor

Unread post by SLW80 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:27 am

eagle wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
As a part of its "child protection" role, someone should send this to T&S to investigate. Also, to take an unfortunate quote out of context:
Raystorm wrote: If the committee decides to only fund one person, it should be LauraHale. I can later hook up with her and she can relay her experiences.
linkhttps://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants: ... _La_Molina[/link]
-raises hand- As your apparently only resident ficcer, I guarantee that she was not. She penned some short crap back in the late 90s, but otherwise, she wasn't a fanficcer. She was a self-stylized fandom historian, but didn't produce any noteworthy creative content of her own. And while fanfic can have its dark corners, like every other group on earth, the vast majority are really keen on content warnings, trigger warnings and keeping minors away from explicit content.

(I won't hurt you fine folk by getting into the various anti-fanfic crusades over the years, the censorship arguments, etc. And suffice it to say, back in the day when I was a teenager, I was lying my ass off to read adult stories; no adult authors were recruiting me to. LOL! If anything, the opposite!)

Not trying to be defensive, so much as point out that there's a lot more to fanfic than a 'set', no she is not actually a ficcer, and no, that is not even remotely typical.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:09 am

eagle wrote:As a part of its "child protection" role, someone should send this to T&S to investigate.
At best they'd ignore it. More likely the sender would be investigated for attempted harassment.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
eagle wrote:As a part of its "child protection" role, someone should send this to T&S to investigate.
At best they'd ignore it. More likely the sender would be investigated for attempted harassment.
Exactly my point. They should apply the same protocol to everybody. Why didn't they investigate LH when she made her original complaint about Fram "for attempted harassment" of Fram?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 pm

An archive of Laura Hale's ED page

Hat tip to Bad Machine on sucks.
I hadn't seen this.

One of the comment runs that was archived.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090224121 ... 50011.html

Laura's elevator pitch about selling her bot produced website
https://web.archive.org/web/20090306182 ... tory%7CThe
The comments are hilarious.

Bottom line:
Laura Hale has for decades tried to grift her way to fortune.
She is a sociopath and a narcissist and habitually preys on the weak minded, which en.wp and the WMF are fully stocked up on.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:34 pm

You're a bad man, BadMachine.

Oh lordy.

I couldn't dig up the video from the archive link and then got distracted with work.

In all it's glory, Laura Hale's elevator pitch for fandom:

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:11 am

Vigilant wrote:You're a bad man, BadMachine.

Oh lordy.

I couldn't dig up the video from the archive link and then got distracted with work.

In all it's glory, Laura Hale's elevator pitch for fandom:
The one readable book cover on that shelf: The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing. I'm having a chuckle at that being the top book.

Also, I find it highly, highly suspect that a productive Wikipedian has ever had a bookshelf that empty.