Fake sources

collect
Regular
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Collect

Fake sources

Unread post by collect » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:14 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... stionable1

A valiant effort, but most of the sources it lists as likely unreliable are major sources in their field, but the list maker wants folks to object to the wrong sources in the list instead of actually looking at them - 183K worth of "crap sources" if the list were accurate.

Opinions on this sort of project? And did you find any improper sources on the list?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Fake sources

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:58 am

This is the flipside of source worship — source demonization.

YouTube is "unreliable"?!?!

Well, that all depends, now, does it not? How about an expert TED talk posted to YouTube? Hmmm?

The entire notion of "reliable" and intrinsically "unreliable" sources is nonsense. Some sources are better than others, some are patently terrible, but the key thing is whether the information contained is true or false.

The "best" sources can be wrong. The "worst" sources can contain valuable information.

Bottom line: I pretty much reject the entire notion of such a list as a bureaucratic exercise by information overseers, rather than any sort of meaningful tool for actual content creators.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:52 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:The entire notion of "reliable" and intrinsically "unreliable" sources is nonsense. Some sources are better than others, some are patently terrible, but the key thing is whether the information contained is true or false.
The point is that Wikipedia will not accept expert opinion. There is no absolute way for a non-expert editor to know for certain what is true and what is false. The next best thing is to say that a source is "reliable" hence it is presumed to be generally accurate, or "unreliable" and so presumed to be generally inaccurate. Of course, this classification is likely to be unreliable without input from experts.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:The entire notion of "reliable" and intrinsically "unreliable" sources is nonsense. Some sources are better than others, some are patently terrible, but the key thing is whether the information contained is true or false.
The point is that Wikipedia will not accept expert opinion. There is no absolute way for a non-expert editor to know for certain what is true and what is false. The next best thing is to say that a source is "reliable" hence it is presumed to be generally accurate, or "unreliable" and so presumed to be generally inaccurate. Of course, this classification is likely to be unreliable without input from experts.
Your fundamental premise is mostly wrong. WP makes use of subject experts all the time, who make decisions about what to include or not include silently. A very small fraction of total content, material generally part of partisan political debate or pseudoscientific POV-pushing, generates disagreement over content and in this case the (more or less bogus) reliability doctrine comes into play to "solve" the matter.

tim

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 pm

This is interesting. Time and again on this site we have commented on how unwelcome experts are, and how teenagers overrule university professors. This is the first time I can recall the opposite claim, other than on medical topics and the good Doc James.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:40 am

Poetlister wrote:This is interesting. Time and again on this site we have commented on how unwelcome experts are, and how teenagers overrule university professors. This is the first time I can recall the opposite claim, other than on medical topics and the good Doc James.
A person notices the handful of car crashes, not the millions of uneventful commutes from Point A to Point B.

RfB

collect
Regular

Unread post by collect » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:26 pm

collect wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... stionable1

A valiant effort, but most of the sources it lists as likely unreliable are major sources in their field, but the list maker wants folks to object to the wrong sources in the list instead of actually looking at them - 183K worth of "crap sources" if the list were accurate.

Opinions on this sort of project? And did you find any improper sources on the list?

Over 4300 sources are listed with nearly 28,000 uses on Wikipedia listed -- including every single source on anything remotely "pseudoscientific" including a large number of Wikipedia articles! It also keeps sources which Beall already removed from his list. And it includes every source the person seems to find which has been at RSN.

Should the Wikipedia article on "Fun" be listed as crap an unreliable source? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:38 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Poetlister wrote:This is interesting. Time and again on this site we have commented on how unwelcome experts are, and how teenagers overrule university professors. This is the first time I can recall the opposite claim, other than on medical topics and the good Doc James.
A person notices the handful of car crashes, not the millions of uneventful commutes from Point A to Point B.

RfB
Can we have one or two examples of where there has been serious conflict and someone has come along and said "trust me, I'm an expert" and resolved things to everyone's satisfaction?

collect
Regular

Unread post by collect » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:18 am

collect wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... stionable1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... TCH_Launch

Now "officially launched" with apologists saying "but it has a disclaimer!"

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:09 am

Basically, to a Wikipedia editor a reliable source is one that agrees with his or her views, and one that doesn't can't be reliable. Ask any Trump supporter or Bernie Sanders supporter about the relative merits of Fox News and the Washington Post, to take just two solid pretty mainstream media.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:35 am

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB
Can we have one or two examples of where there has been serious conflict and someone has come along and said "trust me, I'm an expert" and resolved things to everyone's satisfaction?
Once there is that kind of dispute over content, that is precisely when the line "trust me, I'm an expert" will not fly. That's a car crash.

My point is: subject experts write and their input is tacitly respected hundreds of times for each one of those car crashes. Those are the quiet, uneventful commutes. But we notice the car crashes and wrongly conclude that violent death in a wreck for anyone who drives is inevitable.

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB
Once there is that kind of dispute over content, that is precisely when the line "trust me, I'm an expert" will not fly. That's a car crash.

My point is: subject experts write and their input is tacitly respected hundreds of times for each one of those car crashes. Those are the quiet, uneventful commutes. But we notice the car crashes and wrongly conclude that violent death in a wreck for anyone who drives is inevitable.

RfB
EssJay
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:54 pm

All sorts of idiots write and what they say is tacitly accepted. You only have to look at the crap articles thread to see loads of examples. There is no privileged position for experts.