Gateway Pundit victim of Wikipedia smear?

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Bezdomni
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

To my smarting ears, that was pretty smeary again, Dan

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm

1) If you wish to fact check ol' Dan, I do recommend this article.
The actual title of the article appears to be: "Pro-Trump Media Personalities Struggle to Shake 'Toxic Waste' of 'Alt-Right' Brand".

The exact sequence of words collocating conspiracy and Gateway Pundit does occur in the article but smells a bit snoogy, even cherry-picked, in the context of the article.

2) The article at WP is crap (whether you want to say it's justified smear or not is immaterial). As it is written, it emits into the Knowledge Graph and WP an odour of fear, which is very enticing to new recruits wanting to be alt-something. It used to be computer companies that got hatched in a garage, now it's "rebellious" media-trolling presences that got their start being piped out of a Missouri basement. Speaking of associated writers (as Marek didn't want to above), I gather from the article you cited, Dan, that Cassandra Fairbanks has associated with both TGP & Sputnik after (while?) covering BLM in Ferguson. Definitely not a fan of the RLC, is she? (Curious that Tim Canova would respond to TGP... does he not know that it is the very Devil and that every word they print should be thrown into the boiling seas? in fairness, the Broward Co. Election Supervisor does appear to have photocopied the ballots before having them destroyed... which sure does sound clueful and sustainable. Who knows... maybe it was.

A Cosmo article about Ms. Cassandra that's not too flattering. She'd fared better with the BBC back in Oct 2016.

Less fear and loathing might not pack as many warning whistles into the graph, but I'm sure things won't fall further apart if they just tell the story from "outside of history" in encyclopedic time.

3) could you, Dan, please chill on accusing people of being apologists of purged heretics? A general moratorium on that sort of periodic witch-burning ritual would really be nice. Of course if either you or Marek should ever provide evidence about the vague lies you keep talking about, I'd read it with an open mind, as I imagine would others. But assertions without evidence ring a bit hollow.
los auberginos

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: Gateway Pundit victim of Wikipedia smear?

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Full, unedited context from the Newsweek article you lying alt-reich stooge.
“Bunch of media people bough--t tickets to A Night for Freedom, and then wrote dishonest articles about how it was an ‘alt-right’ event,” Cernovich, who once embraced the term, tweeted while complaining about the coverage of his event. “This is why I don't issue press passes and ban media from events, y'all want to f-----g lie, why would we want you inside fabricating fake news?”

Along with Cernovich, men’s rights activist Gavin McInnes, self-described philosopher Stefan Molyneux, who sometimes cites bogus race-based "science" on his podcast, Twitter personality Jack Posobiec (another Pizzagate pusher) and bloggers for the conspiracy and news site Gateway Pundit are among the pro-Trump pundits now calling themselves the “new right.” The term is intended to distinguish them from both traditional, National Review-reading conservatives and the anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi so-called alt-righters.
With that, <plonk> and I depart again from a space overrun with Nazi apologists.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:12 pm

trips on <pegleg> Dan left behind.
Bezdomni wrote:in the context of the article
not the introductory paragraph concerning them:
more context, same article wrote:
Cassandra Fairbanks, 32, a “new right” personality who writes for Gateway Pundit and who attended Cernovich’s event, said she didn’t believe the gathering was an attempt to sell a new brand that is apart from the alt-right, but admitted that it would be a good thing if that distinction could be made in the eyes of the public. “I don’t think that was the motive for the party,” she told Newsweek, “but it would be a good thing to come from it.” Fairbanks, who came to prominence as a supporter of Bernie Sanders before switching to backing Trump, said she had very little in common with people on the alt-right who want a white ethno-state, in part because her mother is from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
los auberginos

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:08 pm

It's hard to get offended by someone who clearly knows so little about you. It's not like it's hard to figure out what I spend most of my time posting about here. Pro-tip: it's not defending Nazis. I've mentioned a couple of TDA's pieces, and he and Dan have history, so that's likely the reason he has flipped his lid. Who cares really, I'm only interested in whether people can properly answer the points raised in the thread. Some already have, and Wikipedia will quite rightly be properly damaged for it. He's unconvincing in that regard. If he retired because this place is "overrun with Nazi apologists.", he's only showing he has a very thin grip on reality, and thus likely has little to offer surrounding the more difficult questions this place really should be asking.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Having read the whole article (which is about the rightist mouthpieces trying to get out from under what is now the stigma of "alt-right" by rebranding) I see nothing in it which mitigates the condemnation. But of course, that's just Ming.

As for you, Crowsnest, we're at the usual place of threads you start: the answer to the rhetorical question posed in the title is baldly "no", and nobody can agree on what the point of you posting is. We can keep going (and surely you will) but Ming cannot see this improving.

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:30 am

I thought we'd agreed to disagree a few posts back? Definitely not interested in you constantly returning to declare you're still right, you still speak for the world, at least the non-crazy parts of it, and that you see no interest in this thread's continuance. Unless that's your goal. To just turn it to shit, so it gets locked, and people forget what you have tried to argue and how you tried to argue it.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:48 am

Your querulous obstinance, CrowsNest, is more likely the impetus for locking a thread.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 am

tarantino wrote:Your querulous obstinance, CrowsNest, is more likely the impetus for locking a thread.
I'm concurring with that and saving us some time by locking this topic now, even though it hasn't turned around three times to whine and fall asleep with its own fleas.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing