List of fake news websites - What could go wrong?

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

List of fake news websites - What could go wrong?

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 pm

List_of_fake_news_websites (T-H-L)

Dig through the history of that article and try to imagine just how you would come to a satisfactory list using reliable sources ...

Recursive navel gazing at its finest.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: List of fake news websites - What could go wrong?

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed May 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Why doesn't it list www.dailymail.co.uk? :hmmm:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed May 24, 2017 9:49 pm

And why did Jfhuston stop editing politics once he created that meme? I've seen some clues; perhaps more experienced critics know more. Why is Victorgrigas so interested in Lessig's CC anyway? Why is Greg not publishing my polite comment on the blog? Why is Lawrence Lessig sending him spreadsheets of his campaign expenditures from Africa?

Forget John Galt... who is Sagecandor? I'm thinking it's probably not Jimbo, though I suppose I could be wrong.

edit: fixed link (sorry)
los auberginos

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 am

Bezdomni wrote:And why did Jfhuston stop editing politics once he created that meme? I've seen some clues; perhaps more experienced critics know more. Why is Victorgrigas so interested in Lessig's CC anyway? Why is Greg not publishing my polite comment on the blog? Why is Lawrence Lessig sending him spreadsheets of his campaign expenditures from Africa?

Forget John Galt... who is Sagecandor? I'm thinking it's probably not Jimbo, though I suppose I could be wrong.

edit: fixed link (sorry)
Greg's not the administrator of the blog. I am (although I am not the author of this post). My apologies for the delay in approving your post.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 25, 2017 3:01 am

Bezdomni wrote:Why is Lawrence Lessig sending him spreadsheets of his campaign expenditures from Africa?
And, I'm afraid you got that one wrong, too. Lessig hasn't sent me a single spreadsheet from anywhere.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu May 25, 2017 3:32 am

thekohser wrote:I'm in contact with Professor Lessig (on sabbatical in Africa), so I hope that he's able and willing to respond on the matter.
thekohser wrote:I will be generous enough to say two things:

(1) Professor Lessig has been very good communicating with me about my questions about disbursements made by his over-$1-million campaign.
later Greg.
los auberginos

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 am

Bezdomni wrote:
thekohser wrote:I'm in contact with Professor Lessig (on sabbatical in Africa), so I hope that he's able and willing to respond on the matter.
thekohser wrote:I will be generous enough to say two things:

(1) Professor Lessig has been very good communicating with me about my questions about disbursements made by his over-$1-million campaign.
later Greg.
What does that mean, specifically here?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu May 25, 2017 6:19 am

What you said does seem to suggest that you were saying Lessig had sent you stuff about money whether it be links or other....

The later meant "see you later" with a bit of an undertone of "I need sleep more than I need to play this game."
los auberginos

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 am

Bezdomni wrote:What you said does seem to suggest that you were saying Lessig had sent you stuff about money whether it be links or other....

The later meant "see you later" with a bit of an undertone of "I need sleep more than I need to play this game."
He answered questions that I had about specific FEC data sets. He never sent me "spreadsheets", which was the conclusion that you drew. I'm sorry to be confrontational about it, but it seems that you do have a tendency to make a number of assumptions about me that you then present to others as factual claims, when they are erroneous claims that you've developed on your own. You're entitled to do that, of course, but I should be allowed to correct the record without you giving the flip-off of "later Greg". Since you know my first name, I'm curious, do you care to share your first name, so that we can begin to have more congenial conversations? I always feel a little uncomfortable engaging person-to-person with someone who is cloaking their identity, as if they don't trust me as a fellow human being.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 am

I am pleased to have converted to Greg to the cause of pedantry and the bitter pursuit of fallacious reasoning.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 25, 2017 2:24 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:I am pleased to have converted to Greg to the cause of pedantry and the bitter pursuit of fallacious reasoning.
At least I apologize when I'm doing it?

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu May 25, 2017 4:22 pm

When you send someone PMs with your first name as a signature and then they attack you for not signing your RW name, do you continue to assume good faith or do you assume they are trying to discredit you? Incidentally, in all my posts on WR or here I have never, not even once, referred to the RW identity of any person who did not publicly offer their identity. I would appreciate the same respect from you.

I'm a bit busy at the moment Greg, but I did want to acknowledge that I saw your post.

ETA: If you can persuade 5 people to use their RW names on Wikipedia, I will create an account using my real name too (once I am allowed to). The five people who come to mind immediately are:

1) Neutrality, 2) Sagecandor, 3) SPECIFICO, 4) Objective3000 & 5) Snooganssnoogans.

In my complaint to en.wiki Arbcom about Snooganssnoogans, I signed my real name. I assume Dennis Brown (who I'm guessing takes his screenname from a famous roots reggae entertainer) had the chance to review that complaint during Snoog's recent appearance at AE. I appreciated him replying in the secret members only forum to my comment from a few months back.
los auberginos

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Bezdomni wrote:When you send someone PMs with your first name as a signature and then they attack you for not signing your RW name, do you continue to assume good faith or do you assume they are trying to discredit you? Incidentally, in all my posts on WR or here I have never, not even once, referred to the RW identity of any person who did not publicly offer their identity. I would appreciate the same respect from you.

I'm a bit busy at the moment Greg, but I did want to acknowledge that I saw your post.

ETA: If you can persuade 5 people to use their RW names on Wikipedia, I will create an account using my real name too (once I am allowed to). The five people who come to mind immediately are:

1) Neutrality, 2) Sagecandor, 3) SPECIFICO, 4) Objective3000 & 5) Snooganssnoogans.

In my complaint to en.wiki Arbcom about Snooganssnoogans, I signed my real name. I assume Dennis Brown (who I'm guessing takes his screenname from a famous roots reggae entertainer) had the chance to review that complaint during Snoog's recent appearance at AE. I appreciated him replying in the secret members only forum to my comment from a few months back.
Dennis Brown's name is Dennis Brown.

I think the Cult of Anonymity is just as dumb here as it is on Wikipedia, but I also know that I'm not gonna change the world on this.

Bezdomnyi (бездомный) means "homeless" in Russian. Are you homeless? Are you Russian?

RfB

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat May 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Bezdomny(*) "is" a poet in Bulgakov's Stalinist era satire Master and Marguerite (whom the master convinces to stop writing poetry). The real "I" is a 3rd generation American citizen. I have lived abroad about 40% of my life (so far more than 20 years) but have not yet been homeless in the traditional sense of the term. However, I feel a great deal of empathy for that group of people in the US without a safety net who have faced that plight, because there, but for the grace of karma, go I. I chose the name for two reasons related to WP: 1) because I was a "fervent" media-wikian until the 2016 election (cf. this topic), and 2) because Strelnikov is a character in the other great contemporaneous novel from the Stalinist period (cf. off-wiki context).

I'm not sure how "anonymity" can be a cult. I agree that people who spend 40+ hours a week editing political pages on en.wiki year after year should not be anonymous, but that is easy to say because I am not one of these people. Neutrality is such a person. I take it you agree that this user should not be permitted to go by the screenname "neutrality"?

In re: anonymity. 1) some names are more anonymous than others. (D. Brown being a good example.)

The owner of WR knows my first and last name (as do a few members there). Greg knows my first name and could of course find my RW name with the information I've given him (as could you). However, I do not seek to broadcast my credentials (my online CV for example is tagged no robots) because I am not seeking employment from random forum readers. Those with credible offers of work are free to contact me by PM of course for further information. Otherwise, I'm not sure why anyone would need my RW info. Having signed some of my stupid youthful reviews on IMDB / Amazon, I realized about 20 years ago that it's very difficult to get those sorts of things deleted. Unlike the WMF/Google, I agree with the CNIL that there should be a "right to be forgotten". Unlike en.wiki, again, I think people (especially admins) who edit the projects full-time should be required to reveal their identities (i.e. not remain nameless... безымянный)

*I chose to simplify the sound /ɨj/ to /i/, because I didn't remember the exact spelling in the translation.
los auberginos

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun May 28, 2017 1:45 am

Bezdomni wrote:
I'm not sure how "anonymity" can be a cult. I agree that people who spend 40+ hours a week editing political pages on en.wiki year after year should not be anonymous, but that is easy to say because I am not one of these people. Neutrality is such a person. I take it you agree that this user should not be permitted to go by the screenname "neutrality"?
He made over four thousand posts to Democratic Undergound using the name JohnLocke before finding his way to wikipedia. That's not his real name, but apparently close, judging from a now deleted version of his user page.

See Help me give Will Pitt a wikipedia article!

And Neutrality's first edit to William Rivers Pitt

He also served on the first elected arbitration committee, starting seven months after his first edit.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun May 28, 2017 10:00 am

Very interesting. Thanks, Tarantino. I'm pretty sure I've read that to be a trustee or a checkuser you have to send the WMF picture ID, but I gather that's not true for Arbcom?
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun May 28, 2017 8:16 pm

Bezdomni wrote:Very interesting. Thanks, Tarantino. I'm pretty sure I've read that to be a trustee or a checkuser you have to send the WMF picture ID, but I gather that's not true for Arbcom?
I think it's the same rule. Anyway, nearly all Arbcom members are checkusers. But that rule would not have applied then. It is claimed that Jayjg stood down from Arbcom when the rule came in because he didn't want to give his identity to the WMF.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun May 28, 2017 8:28 pm

If I recall correctly, "identify to the WMF" at one point meant that you sent something that might be a valid ID to the WMF and Philippe Beaudette looked at it and then destroyed it. BTW, whatever happened to him?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun May 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:If I recall correctly, "identify to the WMF" at one point meant that you sent something that might be a valid ID to the WMF and Philippe Beaudette looked at it and then destroyed it. BTW, whatever happened to him?
Reddit
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Tue May 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:Very interesting. Thanks, Tarantino. I'm pretty sure I've read that to be a trustee or a checkuser you have to send the WMF picture ID, but I gather that's not true for Arbcom?
I think it's the same rule. Anyway, nearly all Arbcom members are checkusers. But that rule would not have applied then. It is claimed that Jayjg stood down from Arbcom when the rule came in because he didn't want to give his identity to the WMF.
"Jayjg" was a role account, "his" posts changed in style and tone at times, so there was never a single identity to give.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Tarc wrote:"Jayjg" was a role account, "his" posts changed in style and tone at times, so there was never a single identity to give.
If so, that's an excellent reason not to give his identity to the WMF!

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Wed May 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Tarc wrote:"Jayjg" was a role account, "his" posts changed in style and tone at times, so there was never a single identity to give.
Any info as to the team members?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed May 31, 2017 7:28 pm

One was presumably SlimVirgin, or one of the people behind SlimVirgin. That account is a fascinating story as well.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:
Any info as to the team members?
Nothing current, no, I stepped back from the I-P Wiki topic area quite awhile ago. That and no longer being a part of the "Palestine good, Israel bad" camp, that mindset is the realm of the BernieBros now.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:50 pm

+Al Jazeera (English).

The pro-Palestine marchers I've seen have tended to be at least half women where I live; this is true also for pro-Kurd rallies. I'm not sure very many people know what a BernieBro is here but we did come within a couple percentage points of having a Mélenchon. ^^

So which wiki topic areas do you focus on now?
los auberginos

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Bezdomni wrote:+Al Jazeera (English).

The pro-Palestine marchers I've seen have tended to be at least half women where I live; this is true also for pro-Kurd rallies. I'm not sure very many people know what a BernieBro is here but we did come within a couple percentage points of having a Mélenchon. ^^
"The poor Palestinians" is a cause taken up by many college-aged Americans. Both Israel & Palestine act pretty deplorably, but somehow the rhetoric that Israel's right to exist is the cause for the Middle East problems is a part of their indoctrination.
I mostly hang out at jezebel & gizmodo these days, really.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:41 am

ArbCom was not subject to that rule as it applies only to positions that had access to data covered by Wikimedia's privacy policy, which ArbCommies don't intrinsically get, although all Arbcommies are permitted to request checkuser and checkuser is covered by that rule. In any case, that rule wasn't put into place until 2006, well after Neutrality's stint on the ArbCom. And, as noted, the rule is easily skirted by the fact that neither Cary Bass nor Phillip Baudette (as its implementers) were ever inclined to apply it as the WMF Board intended.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Bezdomni wrote:+Al Jazeera (English).

Let me help you. Here is an excellent photo of Tarc's arch nemesis, the "Bernie Bros." As you see, he doesn't let reality cramp his trite identity-politics slur...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Let me help you. Here is an excellent photo of Tarc's arch nemesis, the "Bernie Bros." As you see, he doesn't let reality cramp his trite identity-politics slur...
The intersection of Bernie Sanders voters and pro-Palestinian American leftists is rather sizable. Both are hip, trendy, and bandwagon-ish causes that they can jump on without really thinking about what it actually means.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 pm

For some reason leftists that get in bed with pro-Palestinian never get called out when the eventual blatant anti-seventual rears it's head. Horseshoe theory?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:anti-seventual
What is that?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Tarc wrote:The intersection of Bernie Sanders voters and pro-Palestinian American leftists is rather sizable.
That's quite ironic. While Sanders has been critical of much that the present Israeli government has done, he says firmly that “There is no question that we should be and will be Israel’s very strong friend and partner in years to come” and
Sanders said it was “particularly important” for progressives in the Democratic Party to acknowledge the moral foundation of the Jewish state of Israel – a state that began as a progressive enterprise, he argued.