Wikitribune - the next great Wales failure

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Kingsindian
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Re: Wikitribune - the next great Wales failure

Unread post by Kingsindian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:01 am

I suppose it is a "strong preference" rather than a "policy". I don't know how it works exactly, but the way I read it is that people are expected to use their real names, unless there is some serious overriding reason.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am

Kingsindian wrote:I suppose it is a "strong preference" rather than a "policy". I don't know how it works exactly, but the way I read it is that people are expected to use their real names, unless there is some serious overriding reason.
I would consider it a valid reason if one's earlier real-named account was blocked unfairly and without explanation by the Wikitribune management. If they are not willing to hold up their end of the social contract, then the user should not be expected to abide by their preferences about names.

Since October 24, Wikitribune has said the following:
If you get blocked and feel that the block is wrong or unfair, please stay calm and send an email. We’ll have a lot of new admins and it will take some time to get it right. Email: blocking@wikitribune.com
Now, I challenge anyone to send an e-mail to that address. Tell us what happens. (That's right, the e-mail account hasn't even been set up. They're blocking accounts with no remorse, but they haven't even set up the process by which a blocked user and "stay calm and send an email". As with so many things with Wikitribune (and other Jimbo projects), it's just a bunch of promises based on falsehood.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Jimbo comments on the talk page of his Use Real Names Essay here a few posts down that he believes users with female names could receive harassment or trolling, therefore limiting female participation. At some point, however, there needs to be accountability and ownership of opinions in certain areas of the internet. A lot of the reasons social websites can become so toxic is due to the anonymity. There is a line though, as the female sounding Jessie Collins writes (also on the talk page) "The amount of character assassination that happens today (especially in the US) for speaking your mind has a very real and chilling effect."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 pm

thekohser wrote:Jimmy seems to be admitting that Wikitribune is too difficult to edit from mobile platforms.
No, he's admitting tht he finds it difficult. That's not the same thing at all.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Soldado Sin Nombre
Critic
Wikipedia User: Joder Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Member: Soldado sin Nombre
Actual Name: Te dije que tengo nombre

Unread post by Soldado Sin Nombre » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:Jimmy seems to be admitting that Wikitribune is too difficult to edit from mobile platforms.
No, he's admitting tht he finds it difficult. That's not the same thing at all.
Silly Jimbo. If he were truly the tech visionary at least some of the press and public thinks he is, he would be working on AI writing the news. Humans doing anything is so 2001. Jimbo's got exactly one hit song, and that hit was a cover tune, not even an original. And he keeps releasing this one song over and over and over again. Maybe he'll finally go away after Tribune fades completely from memory.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:Maybe he'll finally go away after Tribune fades completely from memory.
Unlikely. He has to earn (or at least acquire) a substantial income to maintain his lifestyle and look after his wife, ex-wives and children.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:20 pm

Wikitribune's first hire is moving on.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:32 pm

tarantino wrote:Wikitribune's first hire is moving on.
Oh, dear, will the Koolaide Kids now want to remove her WP page?

I presume my deletion nomination closed No Consensus or Keep, I should check before I post, huh?

RfB

P.S. No consensus.

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 am

Wikitribune's latest scoop: sex robots. Clearly the most important thing happening in the world today, and not at all creepy. Thanks to Ms Desk for the tip.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:

I presume my deletion nomination closed No Consensus or Keep, I should check before I post, huh?

RfB

P.S. No consensus.
It would be grossly wrong to remove someone's page just because they left a job. It is a cardinal principle of Wikipedia that notability is forever; once notable, always notable. Deleting the article would be stupid, petty and infantile. Surely Wikipedians aren't like that.

Having said that, I expect that she'd be happy to have the bit about her sterilisation removed.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:04 am

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

RfB

P.S. No consensus.
It would be grossly wrong to remove someone's page just because they left a job. It is a cardinal principle of Wikipedia that notability is forever; once notable, always notable. Deleting the article would be stupid, petty and infantile. Surely Wikipedians aren't like that.

Having said that, I expect that she'd be happy to have the bit about her sterilisation removed.
Fluff bios about the Wikipederati are held to an extremely malleable standard in which the insiders who create and uphold the pages are free to be fickle...

It was idiotic to even start this bio, in my opinion.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:Wikitribune's latest scoop: sex robots. Clearly the most important thing happening in the world today, and not at all creepy. Thanks to Ms Desk for the tip.
Let's not be so formal. Just call her something like Carol.

RfB

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:12 am

I was thinking "Michael".

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:07 pm

It's a strange article. Some so called experts are doing a few predictions about sex robots, but what it has to do with fighting fake news, there mission, is complete unclear to me.
And to be honest, I am one of those elderly people, but i don't have the intention to buy such a thing if I am really old and lonely.
Maybe it's better idea to play some bingo games with some old lady's in a old people's home to find some company at that time. It is complete rediciles what they are writing.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Maybe I'm missing something but how do you read the history of a story? Here's the history of a recent article. It was written by staff journalist Jack Barton and then amended by staff journalist Linh Nguyen, but what changes did she make? Scroll down to the bottom of her page to see her recent contributions. Like the history, it just says that she made "edits".

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Poetlister wrote:Maybe I'm missing something but how do you read the history of a story? Here's the history of a recent article. It was written by staff journalist Jack Barton and then amended by staff journalist Linh Nguyen, but what changes did she make? Scroll down to the bottom of her page to see her recent contributions. Like the history, it just says that she made "edits".
They have solved the obvious problem of being a "wiki" news organization by not being a real wiki. Just like they are avoiding the problems of being a WP-style community by not being a community. I guess that's a logical play, but let's see if those starry-eyed simps who donated money for a pig in a poke will continue to contribute...

RfB

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Wikitribune journalist on Bitcoin

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Poetlister wrote:journalist Linh Nguyen
Well, her headlines do suggest she's not a fan of Bitcoin. But I guess nobody is. And it must be said in fairness that her headlines are less... um... leading than this thread title. :rolleyes:
Alex Hern (The Guardian) wrote:(The n)etwork’s estimated power use also exceeds that of 19 other European countries, consuming more than five times (the) output of (the) continent’s largest windfarm. (source)
los auberginos

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Re: Wikitribune journalist on Bitcoin

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 am

Bezdomni wrote:Well, her headlines do suggest she's not a fan of Bitcoin.
Something that you should not be able to determine from an allegedly neutral publication.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:20 pm

Bezdomni mentioned this hard hitting news in a another topic. It is clear the fight against fake news didn't stop! Maybe they can use this (fake) news for there next article! Empty shelves at Albert Heijn a few weeks ago! It is complete crazy what they are doing, and it has nothing with fake news to do. It's just crap.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Wikitribune

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Poetlister wrote:journalist Linh Nguyen
Well, her headlines do suggest she's not a fan of Bitcoin. But I guess nobody is. And it must be said in fairness that her headlines are less... um... leading than this thread title. :rolleyes:
Alex Hern (The Guardian) wrote:(The n)etwork’s estimated power use also exceeds that of 19 other European countries, consuming more than five times (the) output of (the) continent’s largest windfarm. (source)
Wiki-tribune is not immune to the urge to be modern: the both/and and presumably neither/nor of this pitch for papers and interviews on quantum computing sounds pretty modern and funded.

The last call for contributions was for a calorie-friendly story about the Nutella War at Rive de Gier's Intermarché in late January. I think Graaf dragged the link to that other thread, which this is the POV-of-the-moment fork of. I think this latest call for interviews and reporting is much more interesting than the previous one.
los auberginos

Renée Bagslint
Gregarious

Re: Wikitribune

Unread post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 pm

So the biggest contributor to the list of suggestions for this article is someone who believes he has a method to break RSA, and has published it on Reddit, that well-known scientific journal. Why would anyone imagine the WikiTribune model would be immune to the same forces as the Wikipedia model, namely that it is at the mercy of cranks, charlatans, zealots, lunatics, and people with any and all sorts of axe to grind? The journalist who is going to write about it has a background in the humanities but covers technology. What could possibly go wrong?

Poetlister
Genius

Re: Wikitribune

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:59 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:So the biggest contributor to the list of suggestions for this article is someone who believes he has a method to break RSA, and has published it on Reddit, that well-known scientific journal. Why would anyone imagine the WikiTribune model would be immune to the same forces as the Wikipedia model, namely that it is at the mercy of cranks, charlatans, zealots, lunatics, and people with any and all sorts of axe to grind? The journalist who is going to write about it has a background in the humanities but covers technology. What could possibly go wrong?
Obviously, Wikitribune should borrow a few things from Wikipedia, such as reliable sourcing.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 31, 2018 4:33 am

Jimbo Wales is tossing his original concept for Wikitribune overboard like a dead rat:
Jimbo Wales in a recent email to Wikitribiune subscribers wrote:The short version:

We're going radically wiki and if you visit the home page right now you'll see that you can now login and instantly edit drafts which are live on the homepage, as well as stories that have already been published. Please try it now - just find something and make some small improvement, and let me know what it was like! You can do so on the site, but also join our Slack channel!

The long version:

Way back in the olden days, before Wikipedia, I had a project to build a free encyclopedia for everyone, in their own language, written by volunteers. Because I didn't understand how to build online communities back then, we designed a very complex and intimidating system which make it hard for people to participate. What we did publish was very high quality, but we didn't really have genuine community control, and we didn't get very much work done.

Then I went radical and turned it into a wiki, and the rest is history. We got more done in two weeks, than we had in almost two years.

So then I started WikiTribune. I listened to advice that we had to be very controlled. We had to have a complex review process. We basically ended up building Nupedia again. doh! It was beautiful and what we published was of high quality - but we didn't really have genuine community control, and we didn't get very much work done.

So, Orit and I have undertaken a radical redesign of the site - not just the look but the actual operation. And we aren't done yet. The push is to turn over genuine control to the community, to let people work live without a net. It's about trusting you, and it's about welcoming you.

So please, come and edit. Make some small change today. Click on 'add a new story' and add something that you find interesting. Be neutral. Cite your sources. Let's work together to do something radical.

--Jimbo

P.S. - As you will have seen from all of those emails, GDPR has come into effect. We've updated our privacy policies, and you can read them here.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu May 31, 2018 8:45 am

Quick, everyone. Sign up and start editing!

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 31, 2018 10:19 am

Oh, a few familiar faces editing, too.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 am

Zoloft wrote:Jimbo Wales is tossing his original concept for Wikitribune overboard like a dead rat:
Jimbo Wales in a recent email to Wikitribiune subscribers wrote:The short version:

We're going radically wiki and if you visit the home page right now you'll see that you can now login and instantly edit drafts which are live on the homepage, as well as stories that have already been published. Please try it now - just find something and make some small improvement, and let me know what it was like! You can do so on the site, but also join our Slack channel!

The long version:

Way back in the olden days, before Wikipedia, I had a project to build a free encyclopedia for everyone, in their own language, written by volunteers. Because I didn't understand how to build online communities back then, we designed a very complex and intimidating system which make it hard for people to participate. What we did publish was very high quality, but we didn't really have genuine community control, and we didn't get very much work done.

Then I went radical and turned it into a wiki, and the rest is history. We got more done in two weeks, than we had in almost two years.

So then I started WikiTribune. I listened to advice that we had to be very controlled. We had to have a complex review process. We basically ended up building Nupedia again. doh! It was beautiful and what we published was of high quality - but we didn't really have genuine community control, and we didn't get very much work done.

So, Orit and I have undertaken a radical redesign of the site - not just the look but the actual operation. And we aren't done yet. The push is to turn over genuine control to the community, to let people work live without a net. It's about trusting you, and it's about welcoming you.

So please, come and edit. Make some small change today. Click on 'add a new story' and add something that you find interesting. Be neutral. Cite your sources. Let's work together to do something radical.

--Jimbo

P.S. - As you will have seen from all of those emails, GDPR has come into effect. We've updated our privacy policies, and you can read them here.
The mildly successful supplemental real live news site had reasonably big fixed costs and doubtlessly didn't inspire any fanatic loyalty in its readers... Now he's going for the big score, or something...

RfB

P.S.
JW wrote:I had a project to build a free encyclopedia for everyone...
BULLSHIIT!!! You had a project to build an internet encyclopedia that you could saddle down with advertising so you could make lots of mon-neeeee!!!
JW wrote:...in their own language, written by volunteers.
Two complete fucking lies...

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Whose language was being used? :blink:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:05 am

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Whose language was being used? :blink:
I really don't follow what you're trying to say.

assuming good faith,

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am

Randy from Boise wrote:I really don't follow what you're trying to say.
I think he's trying to say that the "in their own language" part is true, or at least true enough to not be considered a complete fucking lie. The fact that they run Wikipedias in multiple languages isn't necessarily a good thing, but they do run them in multiple languages, so...

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:I really don't follow what you're trying to say.
I think he's trying to say that the "in their own language" part is true, or at least true enough to not be considered a complete fucking lie. The fact that they run Wikipedias in multiple languages isn't necessarily a good thing, but they do run them in multiple languages, so...
At what point in the history of Nupedia was it anything but an English-language encyclopedia? Where did Jimmy Wales ever, in his entire life, relate his plan or desire for a multilingual Nupedia?

RfB

See:
JW originally wrote:Way back in the olden days, before Wikipedia, I had a project to build a free encyclopedia for everyone, in their own language, written by volunteers.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:26 pm

That's easy to explain. To Jimbo, people who don't speak English don't exist. He's never talked to any.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:29 am

Poetlister wrote:That's easy to explain. To Jimbo, people who don't speak English don't exist. He's never talked to any.
There were those women in the Russian massage parlor that one time...? :unsure:

Anyway, Mr. Boise is right, if Jimbo is trying to tell us that Nupedia was intended and/or designed from the get-go to be multilingual, then clearly Jimbo is full of it. Both Nupedia and Wikipedia were intended to support Jimbo's business at that time, namely link-farming (and pornographic link-farming at that), because after all, what better platform for link-farming than a general-reference site? It's likely that the amount of resources Bomis applied to supporting other languages would have been proportional to the amount of linkable content posted in those languages at the time (ca. 1999-2000), which wasn't much compared to the amount that existed in English. (Blah, blah, blah.)

Still, it's probably fair to think that if Nupedia had taken off the way Wikipedia did, facilitated as it was by an unusually large amount of incoming-link activity from Google and Slashdot (and which in turn was due to the lack of advertising), then Jimbo & Bomis probably would have set up versions in other languages sooner or later, or at least tried. Hard to say, though.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Well, I take it that the professional journalists are gone and that Wiki Tribune is now “The Daily News Briefing Anyone Can Edit.”™®

I'm sure that’s a more lucrative business model...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Well, I take it that the professional journalists are gone and that Wiki Tribune is now “The Daily News Briefing Anyone Can Edit.”™®

Lol. Wikinews for profit is not working, I wonder why.

There are also some serious technical problems with the site... :blink:
Globally banned after 7 years.

MadManz
Gregarious

Unread post by MadManz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Well, I take it that the professional journalists are gone and that Wiki Tribune is now “The Daily News Briefing Anyone Can Edit.”™®

Lol. Wikinews for profit is not working, I wonder why.

There are also some serious technical problems with the site... :blink:
Every time I've been on Wikinews, almost nobody besides SVTCobra (T-C-L) and Pi zero (T-C-L) were doing anything.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, Wikinews has been comatose for ages. There was a huge row at one point and many of the contributors went off and set up their own site. Wikinews never recovered and the new site also crashed.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:03 am

Wales-friendly NeimanLab reports on wikitribune's troubles.
Wikitribune is losing money. Crowdfunding the site isn’t working (yet). On June 4, Wales shared a version of a presentation he’d just given to his team in London. One slide shows that the site is receiving around 20 donations per month. It’s hard to reconcile this with the Financial Times report in December that “on its current monthly run rate, WikiTribune is on course to generate about £800,000 in revenue over the next year,” unless those donations average around $3,333. (Wales estimates that, for every 500 monthly supporters at $15/month, he can hire one journalist.) “We aren’t focused on [money] yet,” Wales wrote in the slide deck. “Right now the only thing I care about is building the community. Happy to lose money for now. (Ouch, though!)”
Wales' biggest hire, journalist Peter Bale (T-H-L), left wikitribune in April. Milowent, who created Bale's bio, has yet to update it with this fact.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Wikitribune is losing money. Crowdfunding the site isn’t working (yet). On June 4, Wales shared a version of a presentation he’d just given to his team in London. One slide shows that the site is receiving around 20 donations per month. It’s hard to reconcile this with the Financial Times report in December that “on its current monthly run rate, WikiTribune is on course to generate about £800,000 in revenue over the next year,” unless those donations average around $3,333.
It all depends what you mean by "on course to generate". Maybe the presumed course is that donations will double or triple every month.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:31 am

It's pretty obvious that the business model has shifted, with a super-negative impact on the news product being produced.

Interesting to hear that Bale left in April, the real downturn started a little later than that, I thought.

This project is headed straight down the crapper. Place your bets now on the next JW entrepreneurial catastrophe...

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Place your bets now on the next JW entrepreneurial catastrophe...
I've still got dibs on "crowdsourced pizza delivery" from last time.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:54 am

I'm calling: crowd-sourced university, for which "students" pay tuition to him, to receive instruction from volunteer "educators."

The name Wikiversity has already been used. Maybe he can call it the Wikinstitute of Wikication...

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:54 am

The main problem is of course Google didn't put Wikitribune in a top position, because Goole is the only one who can make a Wiki product big. (Or break it down.) But parasite wiki systems are not interesting for them anymore, because if in september that article 11 and 13 passes, they can't using wiki content anymore. Because it overrules article 230 what protects them in Europe, so they have no reason to invest in it anymore. And there is a huge change other continents follow soon because they are all copy cats with legalisation. And then all those wikiproduckts are soon forgotten and disappear somewhere deep in the internet where nobody notice them anymore, what now has happend with that Wikitribune. Fake news was a short time a hype after the last American elections, but now a days nobody is talking about fake news anymore.

And sweet dreams of a free internet are nice, but it are only dreams, because it is a illusion to think a American foundation can stop a democratic proces what is going on from 2014, that will not happend. Content will be filtered, and in a decade it is everywhere the matter, also in America.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 am

Graaf Statler wrote:The main problem is of course Google didn't put Wikitribune in a top position, because Goole is the only one who can make a Wiki product big. (Or break it down.) But parasite wiki systems are not interesting for them anymore, because if in september that article 11 and 13 passes, they can't using wiki content anymore. Because it overrules article 230 what protects them in Europe, so they have no reason to invest in it anymore. And there is a huge change other continents follow soon because they are all copy cats with legalisation. And then all those wikiproduckts are soon forgotten and disappear somewhere deep in the internet where nobody notice them anymore, what now has happend with that Wikitribune. Fake news was a short time a hype after the last American elections, but now a days nobody is talking about fake news anymore.

And sweet dreams of a free internet are nice, but it are only dreams, because it is a illusion to think a American foundation can stop a democratic proces what is going on from 2014, that will not happend. Content will be filtered, and in a decade it is everywhere the matter, also in America.
I truly think Jimbo thought he would get into the Google "real news" slot and thus be minted. But clearly Google has moved on as you say, and the wiki idea is not interesting to them anymore.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am

Google has of course far better lawyer than WMF has. And they know EU regulation is not made by a people's trial, but by experts in commissions, who you can't fool.
That new section 11 and 13 will be a bit adjusted to satisfy every individual country, but will be in the interest of the northern European country's at the end and not in the interest of Google and other American internet firms. And it's simple, Germany and France want to keep there intellectual property like gold in there ground, so that is going to happen. And Jimmy was talking about mobilising European voters on his talkpage, but most of us in Europe are not even voting for the European parlement. Only about 30 procent, because we all know our vote will change nothing in Brussel, its the playground of the rich European Northern country. We have no MPE, we don't even who they are, we have no idea what is going on in Brussels. Most of us don't vote therefore, we only vote for our national parlement. And they sent representatives to Brussels, not we. People like Junker, Guy Verhofstadt, that kind of people. Older experienced politicians, most time run out on a nation level..

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:19 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:I'm calling: crowd-sourced university, for which "students" pay tuition to him, to receive instruction from volunteer "educators."

The name Wikiversity has already been used. Maybe he can call it the Wikinstitute of Wikication...

RfB
If it offers stuff of the same quality as Wikiversity, how could it fail? :sarcasm:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:41 am

Well, one thing can be said of Jimmy Wales' current cash chihuahua — they do have the crowdsource firepower to cover big stories around the world...

RfB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:14 am

Breaking news, that is for sure!

But I had a look yesterday there because this discussion was going on and I found this article. How California's new privacy law will affect consumers' personal data. And what I noticed is that the article is far from neutral. It is only about how terrible this regulation is, but I could not found any opinion it was maybe a great idea to protect the privacy of minors and the population of California better.

This article highlights only one opinion about that privacy regulation, and that is far from neutral journalism. Good journalism shows you all aspects of a subject and not only one, and in this case only the point of view of the free source movement. Because I think it is a good thing the data of all the people in this world is better protected. It is not only all rotten and bad. It is not only evil if copyright is better protected. Every story has two sites, and in Jimmy's wiki tribune I am missing "the other side" complete.

Privacy is important and has to be protected, copyright too, otherwise no one gets paid anymore for his work, and we get only wiki rubbish in the future, NSA. NSA is importante to fight terrorism and cybercrime. You can't only write about what a terrible enemy your government is. There are always fifty shades of grey and sometimes even more.
Of course there are dangers and of course there are a lot of negative aspects, but the Americans should not forget what a great country they are living in. What a great democracy America is, how free the people are comparing to many other country's.

To have a close look at your government is great, that is a good thing, you must have. But to think a internet community is far better than your one government in a democratic country is complet insane!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:50 am

Thank goodness, the day is saved!!!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm

is this wonderful new editor similar to our old friend the Visual Editor?

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Poetlister wrote:is this wonderful new editor similar to our old friend the Visual Editor?
No it's quite different. I think it's a little like word online, but it's much more basic.