Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Re: Wikitribune - the next great Wales failure

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Kingsindian wrote:how is this venture different from Facebook's News Feed, which is supposed to be the very monster which Jimbo is supposed to be fighting?
Does Facebook allow people to edit each other's work? Doing so will allow crowdsourcing to produce an excellent final product, such as we can already see on Wikipedia.
A bigger problem seems to me to find the volunteers for this project. I mean, there are no WMF jobs, there are no WIR job's, there are no Wikimedia jobs, there are no benefits for powerful editors and sysops, there is nothing. That seems to me the biggest problems of Wikitribune. Who want to work for nothing to gather a big salary for Jimbo and his frends.
The project is missing not only a product, but also a volunteer earning model.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:Who want to work for nothing to gather a big salary for Jimbo and his frends.
There are plenty of such people. According to one estimate, there is one born every minute.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 am

Poetlister wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:Who want to work for nothing to gather a big salary for Jimbo and his frends.
There are plenty of such people. According to one estimate, there is one born every minute.
But it is all such a nonsense. I pay 10 euro a month and I have for that money Het NRC on my iPad, a Dutch quality newspaper without face news and real journalists. And for again 10 euro I have a classic car magazine and the Donald Duck and I don't know how much lady's magazines for my girl. So, for 20 euro I'm liberated from all the fake news in the world.
What for the hell has Jimmy me to offer with his Wikitribune? If I buy two bottles wine, ore drink a few cups of coffee a few times I pay the same money. Is it not a strange no one wants to pay for good news? And if you don't want to pay, is it a surprise you read fake news? I don't think so!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 am

Poetlister wrote:
Post of the week!

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:35 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Post of the week!

RfB
Absolute.
But is Jimmy really thinking all those wonderful people with their good faith are working for a better world and are fighting fake news? So much naivety is really touching. I do not know on what planet Jimmy is living, but I am afraid not on this earth.

Soldado Sin Nombre
Critic
Wikipedia User: Joder Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Member: Soldado sin Nombre
Actual Name: Te dije que tengo nombre

Unread post by Soldado Sin Nombre » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:24 am

But is Jimmy really thinking all those wonderful people with their good faith are working for a better world and are fighting fake news? So much naivety is really touching. I do not know on what planet Jimmy is living, but I am afraid not on this earth.
Jimmy is very much of this earth - it's the people who believe him and do his bidding who aren't. He is the Tom Sawyer of the internet. After all, what you say about his company, is what you say about society.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:55 am

Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:After all, what you say about his company, is what you say about society.
You think he's a modern-day warrior, then? Tut, tut.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm

I haven't seen mention of this piece about WikiTribune, from April 2017.

linkhttp://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-s ... -fake-news[/link]

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales goes to war on fake news with Wikitribune journalism site

The ideas behind Wikitribune are similar to other experiments with sustainable community journalism.

Dutch news website De Correspondent, for instance, was launched in 2013 after a 1million euro (US$1.09 million) crowdfunding campaign, with a goal of focusing on reporter-led in-depth coverage of a select few topics backed up by strong involvement from a community of financial backers.

In March, the site announced a push into the US market, funded by a US$515,000 grant from a number of digital news charities.

But Wales thinks that such comparisons do Wikitribune down. “I’m not sure that anyone’s ever been as radical as I am,” he said.

“Realistically, in terms of saying the community can really have control, a lot of people from traditional newsrooms have really had trouble getting their head around that.”
RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:
Jimmy is very much of this earth - it's the people who believe him and do his bidding who aren't. He is the Tom Sawyer of the internet. After all, what you say about his company, is what you say about society.
Yes, of course it's about society. I am for years a entrepreneur, and i know from my experience at the moment you start to underpay people, or abused in another way they often start to sabotage or to steal. What Jimmy is doing with his projects, filling your one pockets and of your frends and let other do the work is a boemerang system at the long run. And even if you are good for people, you get stolen by people which you never thought of. We are working with quite expensive tools and materials, and twice we found out employees had stolen. Once by surveillance cameras, and once because someone was selling stuff on Martkplaats (A kind of Ebay) with the price stickers still one. He had two garage boxes filled with stuff for about 50.000 euro. And these were the big fishes! And how many small fishes were there in all these years?

And Jimmy thinks, I don't pay them, I fix nice jobs for my friends, and I will not be scammed. Now, we will see. He will or he is already scrammed, and I am sure the last stament is the correct one!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Wikitribune's launch editor says that The Times (London) "doesn’t have the network of the others or the clarity over corrections", compared to such journalism powerhouses as Axios, Quartz, and BuzzFeed Investigations.

:blink:
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:55 pm

thekohser wrote:Wikitribune's launch editor says that The Times (London) "doesn’t have the network of the others or the clarity over corrections", compared to such journalism powerhouses as Axios, Quartz, and BuzzFeed Investigations.

:blink:
These upstart real newspapers with their short 230-odd year history!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Mason wrote:Holly Brockwell (T-H-L) exists.
And she is speaking to "a packed house".

The second presenter was Holly Brockwell, who in her time has been both a marketer and an editor. She is also one of the journalists employed on the latest project by the founder of Wikipedia – Jimmy Wales – WikiTribune.

It is a news source where after the stories are created, they can then be edited and proofed by a team in a similar way to how Wikipedia pages are managed. Holly explained that Jimmy Wales had chosen to embark on the project as a way of tackling the issue of fake news. It is set to launch before the end of the year.

Holly also offered her views on the way that social media is developing referencing the recent discussions sparked by the revelations about US film producer Harvey Weinstein. She was critical of the ‘Boycott Twitter’ approach, saying that it was essential that women kept their voice on the platforms. Although she praised the #MeToo hashtag which she felt was having a real impact. She did add that she would have liked to have seen a hashtag that was more inclusive and worked for both sexes.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:08 pm

"It is set to launch before the end of the year."
December 1, mark my words. It's all about the end-of-year donations, baby!!!

Then they'll fuddlefutz along for eight months and restructure in time for a relaunch.......... next December 1.

Greed, meet Cynicism.

RfB

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
"It is set to launch before the end of the year."
December 1, mark my words. It's all about the end-of-year donations, baby!!!

Then they'll fuddlefutz along for eight months and restructure in time for a relaunch.......... next December 1.

Greed, meet Cynicism
Oh, I think those two are already well acquainted.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Great news, everyone. A "minimally viable" Wikitribune will launch next week.

I can't wait for "murder on the high seas".

Note how the author of the piece doesn't clearly disclose that she writes for the Global Editors Network, of which Peter Bale is President. (These Wikitribune folks are really getting better at self-polishing than self-policing.)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 pm

thekohser wrote:Great news, everyone. A "minimally viable" Wikitribune will launch next week.

I can't wait for "murder on the high seas".

Note how the author of the piece doesn't clearly disclose that she writes for the Global Editors Network, of which Peter Bale is President. (These Wikitribune folks are really getting better at self-polishing than self-policing.)
Wikitribune isn't Wikipedia. Indeed, they have no connection whatsoever, do they? So clearly WP:COI and so on do not apply.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:27 am

Reporter Ian Burrell doesn't seem to have latched onto the scam at all, unfortunately for him.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... ewspapers/

We do at least get a list of a few more reporters hired by Wikitribune:
Bale has recruited a small team of top-flight reporters including London-based Burhan Wazir, formerly with The Times and Al-Jazeera. Jodie DeJonge, former editor of the Cambodia Daily, will report for WikiTribune from Bangkok. Bale has hired New Orleans-based investigative reporter Steve Beatty and experienced New Zealand journalist Charles Anderson.
I'll note, though, that Steve Beatty's exit from his previous job in August seemed to be under some sort of controversial shroud of disagreement.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:02 pm

thekohser wrote:I'll note, though, that Steve Beatty's exit from his previous job in August seemed to be under some sort of controversial shroud of disagreement.
That doesn't necessarily reflect on his competence as a reporter. I'm surprised that Jimbo is recruiting people with experience.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:17 pm

Apparently, while we weren't looking, Wikitribune launched a semi-secret "Beta" page yesterday, on its very own web domain.

Just what you want in a news organization... quiet discomfort that their product still isn't good enough for the main domain page.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:32 pm

thekohser wrote:Apparently, while we weren't looking, Wikitribune launched a semi-secret "Beta" page yesterday, on its very own web domain.

Just what you want in a news organization... quiet discomfort that their product still isn't good enough for the main domain page.
The main page on that domain has news stories up and they are trying to lift off.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:53 pm

I have a feeling this isn't going to end well... I already have access to the WordPress core, as an admin.

Update: Ah, I see how it works -- you can't immediately publish changes to the public. It's more like, "Revision submitted and pending approval by WT's editorial team."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:12 pm

Good to see that Jimbo already has a plan for how to block contributors on Wikitribune...
Blocking -- the how and the why by Jimmy Wales

Like Wikipedia, WikiTribune will have a policy of blocking users who are not doing the right things.  In the early days, this policy will be quite proactive, because it is important to set the right tone in the community from day one, writes Jimmy Wales.

Take a look at Wikipedia’s blocking policy.

Even though WikiTribune is an entirely new project and an entirely new organization, as a starting point we can use this policy which has evolved over many years of deep experience and has stood the test of time.  But as we are a small and young community, we can also be a bit less prescriptive - not least because we don’t yet know if the pattern of disruptive behavior of trolls will be different and will require different standards.

In the Wikipedia policy, there are three identified fundamental rationales for a block, and I quote:

prevent imminent or continuing damage and disruption to Wikipedia
deter the continuation of present, disruptive behavior
encourage a more productive, congenial editing style within community norms.
I envision the first two to be enforced here more or less exactly the same as at Wikipedia.

But on the third, I intend that we should be significantly more proactive than Wikipedia, especially at the beginning.

Why?

At Wikipedia, there is a longstanding problem of contributors who are very productive but also very rude to others.  In a very large community like Wikipedia, this need not drag the entire community down, as there are enough people who have a great attitude to overcome it.  (Although many of them find the permissiveness exhausting.)  In a small community, it is important to set the tone early on to be nice.  One great expression I love is the expression in the Quora community of their policy of “BNBR” - Be Nice, Be Respectful.

This will be our policy too. Please also read our Conduct on WikiTribune FAQ.

A few additional points, some timeless, and some for today:

If you are feeling angry with someone, I recommend that you turn off your computer for awhile.  You aren’t likely to change their minds or fix their behavior by yelling at them.

Leave a good paper trail - when users have a dispute, it is often hard for others to understand who is really to blame if both sides are being nasty to each other.  Bend over backwards to leave a good paper trail showing that you were being kind and thoughtful.

Our current software doesn’t give us the ability to block for a specified period of time like 24 hours or 3 days or a month.  You’re either blocked, or you are not blocked.  Bear with us, as this is a significant omission that we will fix as soon as we can.

If you get blocked and feel that the block is wrong or unfair, please stay calm and send an email.  We’ll have a lot of new admins and it will take some time to get it right. Email: blocking@wikitribune.com

In these early days, I’m going to do this in the same way that I did in the early days of Wikipedia: I’ll be the final decision maker, personally, on any block appeals.

This is a handy check and balance on blocks that were too hasty, but it doesn’t scale.  We will need to develop community mechanisms to have a healthy culture of justice - i.e., blocking those who aren’t here to constructive help with the project, while also not having blocks for helpful dissent and debate.  It is important to be wise to allow space for genuine collaboration and healthy discourse, while at the same time closing off avenues for pointless trolling and abuse of all kinds. - Jimmy Wales

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:14 pm

And in case I should get blocked later today, tonight, or tomorrow, here is evidence of what I contributed to Wikitribune before becoming blocked:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 pm

The Outline seems to think that...

WikiTribune is already biased
Adrianne Jeffries
30 October 2017
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales is launching a “neutral news service.”

The “pilot” version launched today, and so far, it sucks.

...WikiTribune is bullshit. It’s not new — it is the same kind of news aggregation that exists all over the web. It is not better — comparable summarizing and linking can be found on many websites, while original reporting of those same stories, often supplemented by linking to other reporting, can be found at CNN, Reuters, The New York Times, and the BBC, which WikiTribune uses as its primary sources.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Looks like Jimbo is already doing the Trump thing, using Twitter to try to "correct" those who would dare criticize him:
I'm sorry to hear that you are biased against working hard for neutrality. But are you? I actually doubt it.

Sorry, I don't understand your tweet. But I think neutrality is the wrong goal, and I think you are overconfident and ignorant of the space.

I am unlikely to be overconfident, and I'm certainly ignorant of many things. But insulting me isn't really helpful is it?

Not meant to be an insult. You seem unfamiliar with the space. You also seem to think you *do* know the space.

I think WikiTribune is not helpful, and those two observations about you ^ are part of the reason why. The rest is explained in the piece.

If the problem is lack of trust in media, then I think journalists who campaign against neutrality are worse than "not helpful".

If you don't think neutrality is a valid goal for journalism, then... well, ok. I disagree.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:31 pm

thekohser wrote:Ah, I see how it works -- you can't immediately publish changes to the public. It's more like, "Revision submitted and pending approval by WT's editorial team."
Aha, pending changes. No doubt, when Jimbo realises how desirable this system is, he'll tell the WMF to use it elsewhere.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 am

Adrianne Jeffries wrote:As of this writing, WikiTribune’s homepage featured a hodgepodge of news aggregation.
This was my impression as well, after a cursory perusal of the site. To be fair, the website does say that it is in beta right now.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:11 am

This is how far hype can take you and how fast it can unravel.

wikitribune-alexa-halloween.png
Edit: Our tiny little site, even with recent setbacks, is currently ranked at 289,697.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 pm

The sudden crash in July is spectacular. Do we know what caused it?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:40 pm

thekohser wrote:I have a feeling this isn't going to end well... I already have access to the WordPress core, as an admin.

Update: Ah, I see how it works -- you can't immediately publish changes to the public. It's more like, "Revision submitted and pending approval by WT's editorial team."
Well, that didn't take long. Less than 24 hours later:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:42 pm

After seeing how Wikitribune is developing, I think I have a rock-solid analysis of how the project will ultimately fail. My thinking is so cogent, though, it probably deserves a blog post.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 am

thekohser wrote:After seeing how Wikitribune is developing, I think I have a rock-solid analysis of how the project will ultimately fail. My thinking is so cogent, though, it probably deserves a blog post.
Fail as in be a useless product or fail as in not putting money in Jimbo's pocket?

I'm surprised he hasn't lost interest yet.

Tangentially, if he is already known as an abuser of women will the current fashionable witch hunt pass Jimmy by? Don't suppose the WikiTribune will be neutraly exploring that topic.
Time for a new signature.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Peter Bale claims:
The community is the secret to WikiTribune and interaction with collaborators is a privilege to be embraced by our staff editorial team.
All our STORIES will also contain open invitations to engage.
And Jimmy Wales claims:
It is important to be wise to allow space for genuine collaboration and healthy discourse...

But so ends the supposed commitment to "open" "collaboration" and "discourse"...

Time to re-join as a fake-named sockpuppet, I guess.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Show us a screen shot of what you see when you try to (re-)register with the email address and name you previously successfully registered with. Just make up a new password.

Registration page

Edit: Your single edit as a collaborator is still in the page history. You are one of Jimmy Wales' "4 collaborators" :evilgrin:

And your profile hasn't been purged yet so there is still hope.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:07 pm

"long-standing" has a hyphen now :D

make sure you didn't mistype your id or pw
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 pm

No Ledge wrote:make sure you didn't mistype your id or pw
I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday, my friend.

As for that hope you spoke about... very doubtful there is any for me:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm

thekohser wrote:The Outline seems to think that...

WikiTribune is already biased
Adrianne Jeffries
30 October 2017
The re-publishing mojo of that Outline story was unlike any Jimbo-related media I've seen in at least a month. It was linked, mentioned, or re-printed on:

Philly.com (Philadelphia Inquirer)
Techmeme (T-H-L)
Slashdot (T-H-L)
Computer Magazine (T-H-L)

...and countless other blogs and aggregators.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Word on the street (from an established Wikipedia editor) is that Jimmy Wales is now approving WikiTribune registrations himself, and all approvals are manual now.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 pm

Zoloft wrote:Word on the street (from an established Wikipedia editor) is that Jimmy Wales is now approving WikiTribune registrations himself, and all approvals are manual now.
I.e., he doesn't trust his staff to do the wrong thing.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm

thekohser wrote:Slashdot (T-H-L)
It appears that discussion surrounding Jeffries' critique of Wikitribune even pulled Jimbo out of a year-and-a-half drought on Slashdot.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:15 pm

It is unbelievable. Jimmy posting on a place where he not is surrounded by his blocking lackeys to protect him for harassment. Who knows, maybe we see Jimmy here one day. But I don't think so, because Jimmy is a enormous coward.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:It is unbelievable. Jimmy posting on a place where he not is surrounded by his blocking lackeys to protect him for harassment. Who knows, maybe we see Jimmy here one day. But I don't think so, because Jimmy is a enormous coward.
If Wales shows up here, he gets to give his side, and not get called names. You can use evidence to show he did or advocated something, but you can't insult him directly. I mean, you can now, but not if he shows up as a member.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:It is unbelievable. Jimmy posting on a place where he not is surrounded by his blocking lackeys to protect him for harassment. Who knows, maybe we see Jimmy here one day. But I don't think so, because Jimmy is a enormous coward.
If Wales shows up here, he gets to give his side, and not get called names. You can use evidence to show he did or advocated something, but you can't insult him directly. I mean, you can now, but not if he shows up as a member.
If Mister Wales ever shows up here, what I hope he does, I will be very polite to him. And absolute not insulting. And in my opinion if someone is insulting him, he should be warned, and if he continue be blocked. Otherwise you can never have a good discussion with Wales.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:39 pm

thekohser wrote:And Jimmy Wales claims:
It is important to be wise to allow space for genuine collaboration and healthy discourse...
That's an easy one. You cannot, in Jimbo's eyes, collaborate genuinely nor discourse healthily. And if Jimbo wanted to come here and discuss it, he might say that people have been removed from this site.

Soldado Sin Nombre
Critic
Wikipedia User: Joder Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Member: Soldado sin Nombre
Actual Name: Te dije que tengo nombre

Unread post by Soldado Sin Nombre » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:34 am

Graaf Statler wrote:because Jimmy is a enormous coward.
How do you know this? Have you had personal dealings with him?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Jimmy seems to be admitting that Wikitribune is too difficult to edit from mobile platforms.

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:03 pm

About this piece on WikiTribune, discussed in another thread.

The piece is ok: an analysis of the EU, mostly written by one person who seems to be reasonably experienced and knowledgeable. However, one can read hundreds of such analyses at all kinds of outlets. And it's not really "news" but an opinion piece. What is different about the WikiTribune model here?

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Jimbo has instituted a "real names" policy on WikiTribune.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Kingsindian wrote:Jimbo has instituted a "real names" policy on WikiTribune.
Not so much a policy as a preference isn't it?

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 pm

thekohser wrote:
Kingsindian wrote:Jimbo has instituted a "real names" policy on WikiTribune.
Not so much a policy as a preference isn't it?
Looks more like a preference to me too. I guess we have to potentially take into account editors from oppressive countries who want to remain anonymous and suchlike.