Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Using Wikipedia to gatecrash

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Fan of The Sherlocks edits band's Wiki to get backstage
When Adam Boyd turned up late to see The Sherlocks and couldn't get a good view he edited the band's Wikipedia page to claim he was a family member.

It was all part of a spur of the moment plan to get access to the backstage area.
See, Wikipedia has its uses! Apparently, the BBC approached WMUK to ask if it's really so easy to make such edits without having them checked. I don't know what the reply was, if any.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Re: Using Wikipedia to gatecrash

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 pm

I seem to recall having heard similar stories before – I wonder whether it's an urban myth? Even so, it should be promulgated as widely as possible ...

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:53 am

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:I seem to recall having heard similar stories before – I wonder whether it's an urban myth? Even so, it should be promulgated as widely as possible ...
The BBC article does mention one similar incident which happened a little more than a year earlier. That this incident really did occur seems reasonably well attested. An appropriate Wikipedia edit to the article of the band concerned (Peking Duk) was made on the designated date, and, according to the BBC article cited, the band members tweeted that they did in fact have a beer with the perpetrator.

The Wikipedia edit supposedly responsible for Adam Boyd's getting more recent unauthorised backstage access at a concert by The Sherlocks was certainly made on the reported date, but, on my reading of the BBC article, the only attestation that Boyd did actually get unauthorised access has come from Boyd himself, and doesn't seem to have been confirmed by anyone else. That said, I can't see any reasonable grounds for dismissing Boyd's account as a fabrication.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:56 pm

There were, after that edit to Peking Duk, several bits of vandalism. One was to alter the first edit "Family David Spargo" to "Family David Spargo (legend)". Materialscientist (T-C-L) fixed that bit of vandalism but not the other bits, not even the addition of the spurious relative. So much for keen vandalism patrollers.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 am

Apparently Wikipedia can also be a get-into-jail-free card: Taner Akçam had to put up with four hours of questioning because of a hoax planted into his page.
los auberginos