Editing the 2016 candidates’ Wikipedia pages

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Editing the 2016 candidates’ Wikipedia pages

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:20 am

The most challenging job of the 2016 race: Editing the candidates’ Wikipedia pages
By Chris Alcantara
Wikipedia is the fifth most visited website in the world, and in a presidential race in which millions of people use the site to research Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, some of the most influential figures in the race are almost completely unknown.

Wikipedia editors, many of whom are unpaid and live across the globe, take it upon themselves to manage every word, link and image published to Trump’s and Clinton’s biographical and campaign pages.

“There is a sense of shared responsibility to maintain this vast resource,” said Samantha Lien, a spokeswoman with the Wikimedia Foundation. “Wikipedia might mean something a little different to everyone.”

It can also be a time-draining hobby.

Ryan Ng, a 17-year-old high school student from New York City who goes by Epicgenius (T-C-L) on Wikipedia, has contributed thousands of edits since 2012, including more than 100 recently to Clinton’s and Trump’s pages. The work has been so consuming, he said, he was almost expelled from high school two years ago.
In a comment on The Gothamist in 2013, Ng said he'd been editing wikipedia for six years.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Editing the candidates’ Wikipedia pages

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:16 am

Thus someone too young to vote is enabled to have some sort of influence on the election. Isn't the Internet wonderful.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:20 pm

An 8 year old became addicted to editing Wikipedia.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:An 8 year old became addicted to editing Wikipedia.
Probably not the only one; there are certainly quite a few addicts under 16.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

The most challenging job of the 2016 race

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:53 pm

The most challenging job of the 2016 race: Editing the candidates’ Wikipedia pages

In a crossover from the 2016 General Election thread and as penance for participation in a shit flinging contest, I submit this article.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: The most challenging job of the 2016 race

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Vigilant wrote:The most challenging job of the 2016 race: Editing the candidates’ Wikipedia pages

In a crossover from the 2016 General Election thread and as penance for participation in a shit flinging contest, I submit this article.
Sadly I've had to merge you into an existing topic on this article. Changing the title a bit above too.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

DHeyward
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: DHeyward

Re: Editing the 2016 candidates’ Wikipedia pages

Unread post by DHeyward » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 pm

tarantino wrote:

Ryan Ng, a 17-year-old high school student from New York City who goes by Epicgenius (T-C-L) on Wikipedia, has contributed thousands of edits since 2012, including more than 100 recently to Clinton’s and Trump’s pages. The work has been so consuming, he said, he was almost expelled from high school two years ago.
In a comment on The Gothamist in 2013, Ng said he'd been editing wikipedia for six years.
Funny, his user page says he was a teenager when he started. He also used to say he lived in Boston and was nearly a Havard grad linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =554374813[/link]. He likes My Little Pony articles as well. The age disclosure being nearly impossible to believe is adding a bit of a creepiness factor.

I guess the journalist may have misunderstood his starting age (17?) with his current age (??). He used to list his birth year as 1992.
Last edited by DHeyward on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.