Wikipedia "encourages terrorism or publicly condones terror"

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Wikipedia "encourages terrorism or publicly condones terror"

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:10 pm

The French government appears to have shot itself in the foot overnight after one of the country's internet service providers listed Google, Wikipedia and webhoster OVH.com as terrorist sites and blocked access. As part of the government-mandated attempt at censoring terrorism sites, Orange customers were redirected to a notification page hosted on a Ministry of the Interior server. Users were told they had been redirected "because you tried to connect to a site whose content encourages terrorism, or publicly condones terrorism".
linkhttp://www.itnews.com.au/news/frances-b ... ver-439591[/link]
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Wikipedia "encourages terrorism or publicly condones ter

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:
The French government appears to have shot itself in the foot overnight after one of the country's internet service providers listed Google, Wikipedia and webhoster OVH.com as terrorist sites and blocked access. As part of the government-mandated attempt at censoring terrorism sites, Orange customers were redirected to a notification page hosted on a Ministry of the Interior server. Users were told they had been redirected "because you tried to connect to a site whose content encourages terrorism, or publicly condones terrorism".
Well, OVH I can almost believe. That hosting service was the source of hundreds of spambots.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:23 am

Someone once said, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." However, there is another part of the quote: "Both men agree that the person in question is a militant." In theory, WP:NOV prefers "militant" rather than the POV "terrorist" or equally POV "freedom fighter."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 am

Johnny Au wrote:Someone once said, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." However, there is another part of the quote: "Both men agree that the person in question is a militant." In theory, WP:NOV prefers "militant" rather than the POV "terrorist" or equally POV "freedom fighter."
Wikipedia's rules are clear. If multiple reliable sources describe someone as a terrorist, then this should be noted. If there are no sources explicitly calling someone a freedom fighter, it is original research to use the term.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Well, OVH I can almost believe. That hosting service was the source of hundreds of spambots.
Google hosts 1000s of terrorist recruitment videos.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:22 pm

lilburne wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
The French government appears to have shot itself in the foot overnight after one of the country's internet service providers listed Google, Wikipedia and webhoster OVH.com as terrorist sites and blocked access. As part of the government-mandated attempt at censoring terrorism sites, Orange customers were redirected to a notification page hosted on a Ministry of the Interior server. Users were told they had been redirected "because you tried to connect to a site whose conten[tweet][/tweet]t encourages terrorism, or publicly condones terrorism".
Yes, but OVH-hosted spambots were attacking *our* site.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Zoloft wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
The French government appears to have shot itself in the foot overnight after one of the country's internet service providers listed Google, Wikipedia and webhoster OVH.com as terrorist sites and blocked access. As part of the government-mandated attempt at censoring terrorism sites, Orange customers were redirected to a notification page hosted on a Ministry of the Interior server. Users were told they had been redirected "because you tried to connect to a site whose conten[tweet][/tweet]t encourages terrorism, or publicly condones terrorism".
Range block them then
http://bgp.he.net/AS16276#_prefixes

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:52 pm

lilburne wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Range block them then
http://bgp.he.net/AS16276#_prefixes
Oh I took care of them.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:36 am

lilburne wrote:Google hosts 1000s of terrorist recruitment videos.
It may make them findable, but in what sense is it hosting them?
Zoloft wrote:Oh I took care of them.
He did indeed. I found a picture.
Last edited by Poetlister on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:38 am

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Someone once said, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." However, there is another part of the quote: "Both men agree that the person in question is a militant." In theory, WP:NOV prefers "militant" rather than the POV "terrorist" or equally POV "freedom fighter."
Wikipedia's rules are clear. If multiple reliable sources describe someone as a terrorist, then this should be noted. If there are no sources explicitly calling someone a freedom fighter, it is original research to use the term.
The lead in Osama bin Laden (T-H-L) doesn't call him a terrorist. Matter of fact it doesn't describe any of his other "occupations" or activities which was most likely a compromise for not calling him a terrorist. Contrast that to Bill Gates (T-H-L).

I don't even have to look at the OBL talk page to tell there is a "you can't call him a terrorist" crowd squatting on this article.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Poetlister wrote:
lilburne wrote:Google hosts 1000s of terrorist recruitment videos.
It may make them findable, but in what sense is it hosting them?
It hosts the videos on YT.

MadManz
Gregarious

Unread post by MadManz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 am

Zoloft wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
"Were"? http://prntscr.com/jy0nqm (The pen for Lightshot is horribly shaky)

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 pm

I guess it could be argued that since some of the Wikipedia content (probably more on the middle eastern Wiki's than English) is about terrorist orgs or members of them that it advertises them as well but I think that's pushing it. Having said that, the more places block Wikipedia the better it is for the Hasten the day crowd!