Eric Barbour on KNSJ radio station

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Kingsindian
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Eric Barbour on KNSJ radio station

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:53 pm

Interview airs Thu 9pm California time. Streaming online at knsj.org.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Eric Barbour on KNSJ radio station

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:22 pm

KNSJ's website has an Alexa ranking of about #4,900,000. The San Diego Arbitron ratings don't even flag the station, so it gets no more than 0.1% share rating.

So, if we assume that at 9:00 PM, about 5% of San Diego's 2.8 million people are listening to any radio at all, then that means possibly 140 people will hear this broadcast on the airwaves.

Sorry, Eric. Hopefully this will give the "sucks" board something to write about, though. You know, how evil I am for dismissing this broadcast (which I am setting up Audacity to auto-record at the designated hour, even though I'll be asleep). Haters gonna hate!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:24 pm

thekohser wrote:KNSJ's website has an Alexa ranking of about #4,900,000. The San Diego Arbitron ratings don't even flag the station, so it gets no more than 0.1% share rating.

So, if we assume that at 9:00 PM, about 5% of San Diego's 2.8 million people are listening to any radio at all, then that means possibly 140 people will hear this broadcast on the airwaves.

Sorry, Eric. Hopefully this will give the "sucks" board something to write about, though. You know, how evil I am for dismissing this broadcast (which I am setting up Audacity to auto-record at the designated hour, even though I'll be asleep). Haters gonna hate!
So if you post the recording here, you will double Eric's reach. Why not?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

milowent
Critic
Wikipedia User: milowent

Unread post by milowent » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:32 pm

thekohser wrote:KNSJ's website has an Alexa ranking of about #4,900,000. The San Diego Arbitron ratings don't even flag the station, so it gets no more than 0.1% share rating.

So, if we assume that at 9:00 PM, about 5% of San Diego's 2.8 million people are listening to any radio at all, then that means possibly 140 people will hear this broadcast on the airwaves
lol. that's a sick math burn!

"This interview will focus on Wikipedia, and on the still-unsold book I coauthored about Wikipedia's history."

now i want to be listener 142, i do hope you record it.
Last edited by milowent on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Explosive Chemistry!

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Zoloft wrote:

So if you post the recording here, you will double Eric's reach. Why not?
Please do. Speaking Eric really gives you a greater understanding of typing Eric. He's really fun to listen to.
This is not a signature.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:49 am

Eric provides the full measure, that's what I will say of him.

Take that however you want, whiskey or weasel piss...

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:26 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Eric provides the full measure, that's what I will say of him.

Take that however you want, whiskey or weasel piss...

RfB
The full monty.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:25 am

The goofball Stierlitz/Strelnikov is the person interviewing him.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:28 am

tarantino wrote:The goofball Stierlitz/Strelnikov is the person interviewing him.
He's not doing a bad job, but still, that might explain the sudden change in direction from "early history of Wikipedia" to "Wikipedia's pedophile problem."

milowent
Critic
Wikipedia User: milowent

Unread post by milowent » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:11 pm

no audio archive?
Explosive Chemistry!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 pm

milowent wrote:no audio archive?
I captured the first 45 minutes of the talk. Nothing after that. I'll post later, if I can get permission to do so.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 pm

I missed the first 6-7 minutes or so, but overall they did a decent job. They could have used some jokes, though... the general tone was really grim.

Eric also made it sound like the Wikipedia Seigenthaler biography incident (T-H-L) was the most significant contributory factor in the explosive-growth phase from 2004-2006, but that didn't happen until late 2005 and they were almost at the peak of their growth curve at that point. He didn't even mention Google's change to their PageRank algorithm to favor WP, which happened in the 2002-2003 period, and then the (IMO, major) role of Slashdot in referring tech people to Wikipedia shortly thereafter. But other than that he did OK, especially since it's now clear that he has an even lower opinion of Dave Gerard than I do.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:52 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:He didn't even mention Google's change to their PageRank algorithm to favor WP, which happened in the 2002-2003 period, and then the (IMO, major) role of Slashdot in referring tech people to Wikipedia shortly thereafter.
Is there something on this in more detail somewhere? I found this, but is there something else?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Kingsindian wrote:Is there something on this in more detail somewhere? I found this, but is there something else?
You could read Andrew Orlowski's version of the events, and while I differ with Orlowski on the timing aspect of the story (I happen to believe Google started favoring Wikipedia well before 2005), most people would presumably be more inclined to believe his version since I'm nobody in particular and he's a well-known tech journalist.

That said, in his version, something (presumably Slashdot, ars Technica, and similar sites) started driving traffic to Wikipedia before Google did. This began the growth phase, but it only became "explosive" after Google noticed what was happening and started doing their thing with the PageRanks sometime in 2005, in order to cure their problem with automated blogspam. The Seigenthaler incident would have been more of an early consequence of that, since the Kennedy assassination material was inserted in May 2005.

Needless to say, Google is not going to publicly document changes to their PageRank algorithm, so a fair amount of this is deniable on their part. Rather than admit to whitelisting (which would make a lot of people very angry, even after all these years), they've "suggested" that the favored rankings were incidental, and "might be" due to a sharp increase in incoming links and/or the popularity of Wikipedia clicks within Google itself - the latter obviously being a black box. But later on it became clear that other sites running MediaWiki were getting higher PageRanks than their own overall traffic rankings would indicate - ask Greg Kohs about this, among others - so the likely explanation is that Google changed the algorithm to favor a "site profile" common to MediaWiki installations, and which would have made explicit whitelisting unnecessary.

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:19 am

Midsize Jake wrote:I missed the first 6-7 minutes or so, but overall they did a decent job. They could have used some jokes, though... the general tone was really grim.

Eric also made it sound like the Wikipedia Seigenthaler biography incident (T-H-L) was the most significant contributory factor in the explosive-growth phase from 2004-2006, but that didn't happen until late 2005 and they were almost at the peak of their growth curve at that point. He didn't even mention Google's change to their PageRank algorithm to favor WP, which happened in the 2002-2003 period, and then the (IMO, major) role of Slashdot in referring tech people to Wikipedia shortly thereafter. But other than that he did OK, especially since it's now clear that he has an even lower opinion of Dave Gerard than I do.
Interesting. I'd always described to friends at cocktail parties that the Seigenthaler biography incident was what heralded the end of the growth phase (something like an inflection point). The argument being that before that point, the Wikipedia invited skepticism that was coupled with the dubious Web 2.0 claim that, "weirdly, it works" (thank the prestigious journal Nature for pumping that bit of pop wisdom into the aether). The Seigenthaler Incident was a case study that this laudatory view was not the full story, and did so in rather stark terms from a philosophical, ethical, and even legal perspective. I claim that the prevailing understanding of Wikipedia began to change at that point from being an amazing crowdsourced project that documented humanity's knowledge into a flawed and manipulable first-stop cliffnotes outfit.

Wikipedia's current reputation is somewhere between casually useful and funny text-based relic.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:20 pm

iii wrote:I'd always described to friends at cocktail parties that the Seigenthaler biography incident was what heralded the end of the growth phase (something like an inflection point). The argument being that before that point, the Wikipedia invited skepticism that was coupled with the dubious Web 2.0 claim that, "weirdly, it works" (thank the prestigious journal Nature for pumping that bit of pop wisdom into the aether). The Seigenthaler Incident was a case study that this laudatory view was not the full story, and did so in rather stark terms from a philosophical, ethical, and even legal perspective. I claim that the prevailing understanding of Wikipedia began to change at that point from being an amazing crowdsourced project that documented humanity's knowledge into a flawed and manipulable first-stop cliffnotes outfit.

Wikipedia's current reputation is somewhere between casually useful and funny text-based relic.
I think you are generalizing and projecting your own views here. Wikipedia's reputation is good and improving: between "casually useful for settling bar bets" and "excellent quick start and finish for serious information queries." Moreover, with the Google knowledge box effort, or whatever we are calling those things, the impact is far ranging, bordering on ubiquitous.

I don't think that 98.9% of the users of information from the site, directly or indirectly, give even a moment's thought over whether it is an "amazing crowdsourced project" or a "flawed and manipulable first-stop cliffnotes outfit." It is there and it is used, like a bridge or a road. There may be potholes, the bridge might need paint, but that's no more than half a second's worth of distraction as the car motors by...

RfB

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Wikipedia's reputation is good and improving
{{cn}}

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Wikipedia's reputation is good and improving
Jim

And you think I'm a Wikipedian! :rotfl:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:05 am

Midsize Jake wrote:Eric also made it sound like the Wikipedia Seigenthaler biography incident (T-H-L) was the most significant contributory factor in the explosive-growth phase from 2004-2006, but that didn't happen until late 2005 and they were almost at the peak of their growth curve at that point
B U L L S H I T

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:16 am

Randy from Boise wrote:It is there and it is used...
Same can be said of Twitter. And Redtube.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:23 am

thekohser wrote:
Ashley Madison too.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 am

EricBarbour wrote:...
Hey Eric, I wanna hear your interview. Is it up on YouTube or somewhere?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:34 am

EricBarbour wrote:B U L L S H I T
Okay, okay... Jeez, no need to get all huffy about it! :blink:

Still, you know I've never put much stock in new-user or "active-editor" counts coming from Wikipedia, as opposed to article counts; the former don't take things like sock-puppetry and quality-of-edits into account. If you go by article counts, you can see that with the exception of a few short spikes later on, the peak was essentially reached in early-mid 2006. And I'm not saying the Seigenthaler business didn't help them at all, I'm just saying that (and various other publicity-garnering incidents) didn't help them anywhere near as much as Google did.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:10 am

thekohser wrote:
Exactly!

Fully 98.9% of Twitter users don't know or care if it is a for profit cash cow backed by a legion of anal retentive censors in a massive office building in Topeka, Kansas or a public cooperative staffed by "Kumbaya"-singing volunteer hipsters. They don't obsess about its limitations or dream of its possibilities... It is there and they use it because it is there and it works.

RfB

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:21 am

Midsize Jake wrote:... he did OK, especially since it's now clear that he has an even lower opinion of Dave Gerard than I do.
Oh man, I want to hear that. I'd be surprised too if someone had a lower opinion of Gerard than myself, as if it were even possible.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:07 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Fully 98.9% of Twitter users don't know or care if it is a for profit cash cow backed by a legion of anal retentive censors in a massive office building in Topeka, Kansas or a public cooperative staffed by "Kumbaya"-singing volunteer hipsters. They don't obsess about its limitations or dream of its possibilities... It is there and they use it because it is there and it works.

RfB
Twitter doesn't compare with Wikipedia. Nobody goes to Twitter to get detailed impartial information on the history of the Crimea, say.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:14 pm

That "final decline" graph again... long tail, Eric, when are you going to get it?
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Fully 98.9% of Twitter users don't know or care if it is a for profit cash cow backed by a legion of anal retentive censors in a massive office building in Topeka, Kansas or a public cooperative staffed by "Kumbaya"-singing volunteer hipsters. They don't obsess about its limitations or dream of its possibilities... It is there and they use it because it is there and it works.
If many people are not willing to research more about the companies which make the products they use, no one can help them. But if they get determined to learn more about the products and the people behind the companies, then who can stop them?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Exactly!

RfB
Exactly! So, ignorant users are also the source of Wikipedia's success! (And remember, the Wikimedia Foundation gets a tax exemption from our government, because of all the good things they're doing in the field of Education!)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:20 pm

thekohser wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Exactly!

RfB
Exactly! So, ignorant users are also the source of Wikipedia's success! (And remember, the Wikimedia Foundation gets a tax exemption from our government, because of all the good things they're doing in the field of Education!)
Not "ignorant" — "oblivious, apathetic, practical users."

As you know, it is pretty easy to structure things on a non-profit basis. WP isn't a tough call, a slam dunk as far as that goes... This doesn't mean that they don't squander donor dollars by the suitcasefull, because they do...

RfB

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Not "ignorant" — "oblivious, apathetic, practical users."
As Spock might have said, "a difference that makes no difference is no difference."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Jim wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Not "ignorant" — "oblivious, apathetic, practical users."
As Spock might have said, "a difference that makes no difference is no difference."
However we describe the mass of readers using the big book of synonyms, the fact remains that the enormous majority of WP users don't know and don't care a whit about the backstage politics of Wikipedia. The encyclopedia has steadily improved over the last 10 years in both size and quality of content and it is held in esteem by a massive number of users, as demonstrated by the annually escalating bonanzas of small donations that WMF is able to shake loose.

If WP were descending into ridicule an disuse, we would likely see an oppositely sloped fundraising curve.

RfB

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 pm

We have to understand what people get out of reading Wikipedia pages, and what parts on those pages get read the most.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:33 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Fancy pictures snipped
To what do we owe this honor?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 am

Vigilant wrote:
Dead thread in the other place.

I second/third/etc. the request for a recording.
This is not a signature.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am

SB_Johnny wrote:I second/third/etc. the request for a recording.
Fourthed. :D

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:08 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Jim wrote:
The encyclopedia has steadily improved over the last 10 years in both size and quality of content and it is held in esteem by a massive number of users, as demonstrated by the annually escalating bonanzas of small donations that WMF is able to shake loose.
We've thoroughly shown that to be hope over experience. The thing is expanding, yes, is its expansion meaningful, hell no. Are the crap articles improving, no. What were once partially acceptable articles are decaying into putridness.
Randy from Boise wrote: If WP were descending into ridicule an disuse, we would likely see an oppositely sloped fundraising curve.
Not necessarily people give it more credence than it deserves because 1) it is free, 2) they don't have to do any thinking to get a sound bite, 3) they don't care about its accuracy, 4) if they discover that the accuracy is pants - well its free.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:54 am

I looked again on the KNSJ site for a recording - Eric, do you have a recording yourself?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:55 pm

Vigilant wrote:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:59 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Sorry, did I trigger you?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Vigilant wrote:Sorry, did I trigger you?
Well, at least he wrote it out in a nice calligraphic script, instead of one of those hasty scrawls with a magic marker like we usually get from people.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:18 pm

I e-mailed content-at-knsj.org seven days ago about getting permission to publish a recording. No response. I've just now pinged them again.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Sorry, did I trigger you?
Well, at least he wrote it out in a nice calligraphic script, instead of one of those hasty scrawls with a magic marker like we usually get from people.
Hey, don't go disrespecting sharpies.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:33 am

Jim wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:I second/third/etc. the request for a recording.
Fourthed. :D
Notice I left the twelfth wide open for you this time. :banana:
This is not a signature.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:00 am

thekohser wrote:I e-mailed content-at-knsj.org seven days ago about getting permission to publish a recording. No response. I've just now pinged them again.
they obviously don't care...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:07 am

10920 wrote:
thekohser wrote:I e-mailed content-at-knsj.org seven days ago about getting permission to publish a recording. No response. I've just now pinged them again.
they obviously don't care...
Holy NecroThread, Batman!

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 am

just amazed that we waited 3 years for the audio and no one would post it

Did Kohs think the radio station would take action against him or something? They don't give a damn.

Odd.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 am

Is anyone still interested?

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:Is anyone still interested?
Probably. :evilgrin:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Poetlister wrote:Is anyone still interested?
I think the count is up to six!

kohs seems to have vanished from WO, though.