Trustee
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Wikidata and the Google Knowledge Graph

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon May 02, 2016 2:08 am

eppur si muove wrote:And here I was thinking of answers along the lines of Octavia and Cleopatra.
You and me both.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon May 02, 2016 3:35 am

Zoloft wrote:
eppur si muove wrote:And here I was thinking of answers along the lines of Octavia and Cleopatra.
You and me both.
You folks are living in the wrong era. Don't you know what's important nowadays?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Another blunder by Google -- it thinks that when you look up information about Alabama, you'd want to compare that with Mississippi, the US state immediately to the west, and Georgia, the foreign state 6,400 miles to the east.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:58 pm

How did Georgia lose over a million people in a span of a few decades?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Johnny Au wrote:How did Georgia lose over a million people in a span of a few decades?
Separatist conflicts killed some, led others to emigrate, and persuaded those who remained (presumably) to have fewer babies.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Johnny Au wrote:How did Georgia lose over a million people in a span of a few decades?
Emigration and low birthrates, due to internal violence and an on-again-off-again war with Russia (over South Ossetia's separatist conflict), mostly.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/article/g ... -aftermath

It's the same thing Russia would like to see happen in the United States, and for the moment at least, they're doing a fairly good job of it.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:It's the same thing Russia would like to see happen in the United States, and for the moment at least, they're doing a fairly good job of it.
Who's they? the owners of Obama Pizza in Kaliningrad? Google doesn't list any Russian Trump Pizzerias.

I'm not sure that Far Eastern Russians are particularly pleased seeing their next-door neighbor shooting missiles around.

As far as I know, nobody's claimed the Russians were behind the Mandalay Bay shooting.

sorry, :offtopic:
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm

A substantial part of Georgia is occupied by the Russians. Does the population refer to the whole country or exclude the occupied area?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Poetlister wrote:
A substantial part of Georgia is occupied by the Russians. Does the population refer to the whole country or exclude the occupied area?
The whole country

I find it extremely odd that searching for Alabama's population has a graph showing the population of Georgia (the country whose capital is Tbilisi) rather than Georgia (the neighbouring state whose capital is Atlanta).

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
The whole country

I find it extremely odd that searching for Alabama's population has a graph showing the population of Georgia (the country whose capital is Tbilisi) rather than Georgia (the neighbouring state whose capital is Atlanta).
Time for some Georgia trivia!

Did you know that Georgia has its own church and its own alphabet?

Here's the hack Google translation of that sentence: იცით თუ არა, რომ საქართველოს აქვს საკუთარი ეკლესია და მისი საკუთარი ანბანი?

Did you know that ethnic Georgian names generally end in —idze/—adze or —ili?

As in Edvard Shevardnadze and Iosef Dzhugashvili...

Yep, that Dzhugashvili — Stalin was Georgian, not a Russian... even though he was a Great Russian nationalist.

Did you know that Georgia was the "Italy" of the old USSR in terms of climate — the heart of wine and fruit country? It was also the (first) home of organized crime there.

All sorts of fun facts...

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
The whole country

Time for some Georgia trivia!

Did you know that Georgia has its own church and its own alphabet?

Here's the hack Google translation of that sentence: იცით თუ არა, რომ საქართველოს აქვს საკუთარი ეკლესია და მისი საკუთარი ანბანი?

Did you know that ethnic Georgian names generally end in —idze/—adze or —ili?

As in Edvard Shevardnadze and Iosef Dzhugashvili...

Yep, that Dzhugashvili — Stalin was Georgian, not a Russian... even though he was a Great Russian nationalist.

Did you know that Georgia was the "Italy" of the old USSR in terms of climate — the heart of wine and fruit country? It was also the (first) home of organized crime there.

All sorts of fun facts...

RfB
:offtopic:
Georgia is absolute not Russia.
I know about about Georgia, because in the nineties many Pontic Greeks out of Georgia came to North Greece. They spoke Greek with a very heavy accent, couldn't write it, and drove in old Lada cars. I have spend a lot of time with them, and they told me much about Georgie, also this facts. They were nice people.
Most of them left Greece, and went to Germany. They were more Georgian than Greek, they didn't like Greece at all, their plan was from the first moment to travel to Germany.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Georgian is a weird language bearing no similarity to Russian (which is ultimately an Indo-European language). The only similar languages to Georgian are a few languages spoken in odd corners of Georgia and Turkey. However, lots of people can speak Russian. The alphabet is a corruption of the Greek one and was developed for the translation of the Bible into Georgian.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:38 am

Russian was a kind of Esperanto in Russia and east Europe. In the village I was in Greece long ago were many people from Bulgaria, Albania, Moldova, and they spoke Russian or Greek together. They learned Russian in School. But they didn't speak it on a high level. Also that Pontic Greeks didn't speak Greek on a high level. It was a kitchen language for them, something you spoke with your grandparents in there kitchen. Georgian was there first language.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 pm

The graffiti google spins up for a token like Georgia Puerto Rico population are more what you would expect.

There's nothing in the can for Hawaii Puerto Rico population.
los auberginos

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 am

Adding a brief example of the Google Knowledge Graph conflating two people:

Google 'Henry van Straubenzee' and in the Google Knowledge Graphyou should get pictures of the grandson (died 2002) of Henry van Straubenzee (T-H-L), alongside an extract from the Wikipedia article.

There is a Wikipedia essay on this: Wikipedia:You can't fix Google through Wikipedia.

I sent feedback to Google, so maybe they will fix it.

It would seem trivial to avoid this conflation - why does this happen?

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:57 am
Perhaps you could offer your services to Google to help avoid this trivial problem. How would you approach it?

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:29 pm
Carcharoth wrote:
Perhaps you could offer your services to Google to help avoid this trivial problem. How would you approach it?
Ah, you caught me out there. It is not trivial, but I said that to see what the response would be...

Maybe another way to put this is that this is not a mistake a human would make, but clearly whatever approach Google is taking, it can't yet distinguish the difference between an 18-year-old who died in a car crash in 2002 and a decorated army officer who served in WWII and died earlier in 2002 at the age of 88 before his unfortunate grandson.

[Presumably matching name and date of death is enough to get the article and images thrown together - but why is there no check on birth years which are different?]

This is in the news, btw, because a singer got mugged on the way to a charity concert held in memory of aforesaid 18-year-old who was friends with royalty who have since supported said charitable causes.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:54 pm

Carcharoth wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:
Ah, you caught me out there. It is not trivial, but I said that to see what the response would be...
Carcharoth didn't say that it is trivial, only that it would seem trivial. No doubt, to the high-powered programmers that Google employs, it would seem trivial if it were pointed out to them.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:09 am

Poetlister wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:54 pm
Carcharoth wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:
Carcharoth didn't say that it is trivial, only that it would seem trivial. No doubt, to the high-powered programmers that Google employs, it would seem trivial if it were pointed out to them.
No. It wouldn't.