Johnny Au
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

I am featured on the Toronto Star

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Read here: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10 ... pedia.html

Toronto Star journalist Oliver Sachgau interviewed me on Wikipedia. It is mainly accurate, except for one small thing: I am actually 27, not 25.

It is about me editing Toronto Blue Jays-related pages on Wikipedia. I am a huge Jays fan. Go Jays go!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: I am featured on the Toronto Star

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Read here: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10 ... pedia.html

Toronto Star journalist Oliver Sachgau interviewed me on Wikipedia. It is mainly accurate, except for one small thing: I am actually 27, not 25.

It is about me editing Toronto Blue Jays-related pages on Wikipedia. I am a huge Jays fan. Go Jays go!
Nice piece, definitely counts towards GNG!!!

Au is a great surname, the chemical symbol for gold...

RfB

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Read here: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10 ... pedia.html

Nice piece, definitely counts towards GNG!!!

Au is a great surname, the chemical symbol for gold...

RfB
Nice! That's very cool, Johnny. :B'

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Johnny, it's not your first appearance in the mainstream media, you know.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 pm

thekohser wrote:Johnny, it's not your first appearance in the mainstream media, you know.
True, but the article in the OP was the first one in mainstream media, in which I am the main subject and am interviewed specifically.

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53 am

Johnny Au wrote:
thekohser wrote:Johnny, it's not your first appearance in the mainstream media, you know.
True, but the article in the OP was the first one in mainstream media, in which I am the main subject and am interviewed specifically.
So, you're basically at least half way to notability. Better than me.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:15 pm

It's all down to the admin corps. I've seen someone who was in a serious dead tree biographical dictionary and had an obituary in a national newspaper, but had his article deleted out of process and spite.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Congrats. I'm sure your excited.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:14 pm

The Toronto Star just issued two corrections notices with regards to the article about myself:

First, the article misstated that the Jays were playing in the American League Championship Series against the Texas Rangers. In fact, the Jays play against the Rangers in the American League Division Series. There are no league championships in Major League Baseball, they are called League Conference Series instead.

Second, the newsroom apologized to me and corrected my age to 27.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:20 am

Johnny Au wrote:The Toronto Star just issued two corrections notices with regards to the article about myself:

First, the article misstated that the Jays were playing in the American League Championship Series against the Texas Rangers. In fact, the Jays play against the Rangers in the American League Division Series. There are no league championships in Major League Baseball, they are called League Conference Series instead.

Second, the newsroom apologized to me and corrected my age to 27.
My bad. There are league championship series, not conference series. I must apologize. Speaking of league championship series, the Jays made it to the American League Championship Series.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Speaking just for myself here, obviously, but, under the circumstances, if I were one of the team's PR people I would probably make a very serious effort to ensure that you get a season ticket or two, and, maybe, serious consideration for any openings in the front office. You are obviously a very interested individual doing a lot of work for the team, in a sense anyway, and it would be reasonable if they did something to acknowledge that.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:06 am

JCM wrote:Speaking just for myself here, obviously, but, under the circumstances, if I were one of the team's PR people I would probably make a very serious effort to ensure that you get a season ticket or two, and, maybe, serious consideration for any openings in the front office. You are obviously a very interested individual doing a lot of work for the team, in a sense anyway, and it would be reasonable if they did something to acknowledge that.
Alternatively, the Jays could give me an opportunity to throw the Ceremonial first pitch (T-H-L).

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:45 am

Johnny Au wrote:
JCM wrote:Speaking just for myself here, obviously, but, under the circumstances, if I were one of the team's PR people I would probably make a very serious effort to ensure that you get a season ticket or two, and, maybe, serious consideration for any openings in the front office. You are obviously a very interested individual doing a lot of work for the team, in a sense anyway, and it would be reasonable if they did something to acknowledge that.
Alternatively, the Jays could give me an opportunity to throw the Ceremonial first pitch (T-H-L).
Damn straight. Where can we start the campaign?

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:41 am

I have added an avatar of myself cropped from the Toronto Star article photo.

On Change.org, you can petition the Toronto Blue Jays to have me throw the first pitch.

Zironic
Gregarious

Unread post by Zironic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:44 am

Well, the problem is that if they do that, won't Johnny Au become classified as a Paid Editor and become witch-hunted until he can no longer edit Wikipedia?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 am

Zironic wrote:
Well, the problem is that if they do that, won't Johnny Au become classified as a Paid Editor and become witch-hunted until he can no longer edit Wikipedia?
That's what I'm hoping for. Eventually, the Wikipedia "community" will realize that every editor has some sort of conflict of interest that benefits them financially, and they only need to find and point to a misstep or two, and it's off to Bannsville... with everyone!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Johnny Au wrote:On Change.org, you can petition the Toronto Blue Jays to have me throw the first pitch.
I didn't see it. Maybe you could provide a link?

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 pm

JCM wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:On Change.org, you can petition the Toronto Blue Jays to have me throw the first pitch.
It's because it's not there. Someone has to create it and it cannot be me.

Oh, and this is why I suggested throwing a ceremonial first pitch, as it is unpaid.

Believe it or not, someone wanted me to be a paid PR Wikipedia editor for the client's company and was offering good money. I refused. I don't want to be banned.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:51 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
JCM wrote:
It's because it's not there. Someone has to create it and it cannot be me.

Oh, and this is why I suggested throwing a ceremonial first pitch, as it is unpaid.

Believe it or not, someone wanted me to be a paid PR Wikipedia editor for the client's company and was offering good money. I refused. I don't want to be banned.
I don't think you would be if you declared the connection. We tend to call those editors "WIkipedians in residence" from what I remember.

And, unfortunately, I don't think I would be the best person to start a petition at change.org. I've looked, and that sort of writing isn't my strong point.

Bumping this to with luck get the attention of someone who might write a better petition.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Believe it or not, someone wanted me to be a paid PR Wikipedia editor for the client's company and was offering good money. I refused. I don't want to be banned.
Just start a different account with a different IP.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Well, this is at least an early first draft. Please feel free to revise it however seems called for.

"As reported in the Toronto Star at http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/10 ... pedia.html, there is a 27-year old Toronto resident, named Johnny Au, who regularly spends 10 to 14 hours a week on the English Wikipedia keeping the content related to the Toronto Blue Jays, reverting vandalism, updating the content as required, and developing the content. He has to date had over 32,000 edits on the site, over almost nine years at this point. Many of these edits fall within the range of content relating to living persons, which is among the most difficult and sometimes combative content on the site. And all of that time, and all of that effort, has been given by him without any form of pay. Johnny, like most Wikipedia editors, receives no form of compensation for his work.

We would like to request that the Toronto Blue Jays honor the continuing efforts of this tireless volunteer in keeping some of the most visible material on the internet about the Blue Jays at a reasonable level accurate and free from error and vandalism. As a volunteer on that site, it would be impossible for him to take any form of financial compensation of any sort and remain an active editor there without having conflict of interest problems. Johnny has indicated that being chosen to throw out the first pitch at one of the Blue Jays' home games would be something he would be honored to allow to do, and such an honor would not be in conflict with the site's conduct guidelines.

Please add your voice of support for the efforts of this young man and his unpaid efforts to make available information on the team easily available to anyone seeking it."

I know it needs some work, and would love to see any improvements anyone thinks would help.
Last edited by JCM on Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Clarify "at a reasonable level".

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:20 pm

thekohser wrote:Clarify "at a reasonable level".
Changes made above. Thanks for that.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 pm

The word "Wikipedia" is always capitalized as well.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Johnny Au wrote:The word "Wikipedia" is always capitalized as well.
Capitalizations made in the draft above. If this gets to another page, I'll copy over the then current draft to it. Anything anyone thinks should be added to the request?

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:09 pm

"Internet" is also always capitalized as well.

The Toronto Blue Jays' home games are at the Rogers Centre (T-H-L) as well, which is a quick trip by subway for me and had visited it a few times as well.

Please link the corrections notice as well: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/correcti ... ct-15.html (to avoid any discrepancy between the age stated in the article and my actual age).

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 pm

The Jays are finished in this year's postseason.

Well then, it would be good for a petition for me to throw the first pitch in the 2016 regular season for the Jays.

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Johnny Au wrote:The Jays are finished in this year's postseason.

Well then, it would be good for a petition for me to throw the first pitch in the 2016 regular season for the Jays.
Anyone here ever done anything over at that site? I am signed up now, and I will I guess be willing to add the petition in a week or so, but, honestly, I think it would be better if anyone here who knows anything about it from prior experience did this, because I imagine they would do a better job than I could.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:39 pm

JCM wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:The Jays are finished in this year's postseason.

Anyone here ever done anything over at that site? I am signed up now, and I will I guess be willing to add the petition in a week or so, but, honestly, I think it would be better if anyone here who knows anything about it from prior experience did this, because I imagine they would do a better job than I could.
It is not difficult to add a petition to change.org.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 am

There was a brawl involving the Toronto Blue Jays and the Texas Rangers earlier today in Arlington, TX. Yes, it was over bad blood lingering from the 2015 ALDS between those two teams.

The fight was so bad that both the Jays' and the Rangers' articles were semi-protected. Not just that, but main players involved, José Bautista (T-H-L) and Rougned Odor (T-H-L), had their articles semi-protected as well.

Finally, someone created this poorly written article: Blue Jays Rangers basebrawl (T-H-L).

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Mon May 16, 2016 3:45 am

Johnny Au wrote:There was a brawl involving the Toronto Blue Jays and the Texas Rangers earlier today in Arlington, TX. Yes, it was over bad blood lingering from the 2015 ALDS between those two teams.

The fight was so bad that both the Jays' and the Rangers' articles were semi-protected. Not just that, but main players involved, José Bautista (T-H-L) and Rougned Odor (T-H-L), had their articles semi-protected as well.

Finally, someone created this poorly written article: Blue Jays Rangers basebrawl (T-H-L).
IMO that was a total bush league slide, he went a full body length past the bag. Odor laid some wood on him.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:IMO that was a total bush league slide, he went a full body length past the bag. Odor laid some wood on him.
It's also a bush league Wikipedia article.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Mon May 16, 2016 7:10 pm

More like T-ball

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 16, 2016 10:57 pm

It's up for deletion: Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Blue Jays–Rangers brawl (T-H-L)

I am in favour of deletion for all the obvious reasons.