HRIP7
Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

How to (try to) lie with Wikipedia

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:23 pm

How to (try to) Lie With Wikipedia The manufactured history of neckbeard-shaming
Neckbeards. A fashion choice. An internet insult. Has the term been used as a pejorative since Colonial times? The internet says so. I looked into it.

[...]

Louisa May Alcott reportedly mentioned to Emerson that Thoreau’s neckbeard “will most assuredly deflect amorous advances and preserve the man’s virtue in perpetuity.”

Oh snap! Really? Neckbeards historically recognized as active lady-repellent. I never knew!

The somewhat-random blog where the quotation was from cited the Wikipedia article on Henry David Thoreau.

[...]

The answer, as they say, might surprise you: no. Didn’t happen. Made up. Wikipedia’s record has been corrected, the secondary Wikipedia-citers’ have not.

[...]

Amusingly, a search for Google books for “neck beard” turns up Walden by Thoreau, quite possibly because the Wikipedia page originally contained that fake quote.

[...]

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: How to (try to) lie with Wikipedia

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:31 pm

I spend a lot of time in the Sacramento area and have long heard natives describe the clannish community of Bartlett pear growers that has been in the delta for over a century as "Courtland neckbeards."

From the linked article:
The neckbeard quotation originally found there, had been added in 2007 and removed in 2014. During those seven years it zipped around the internet with a veneer of authenticity, getting cited as fact everywhere: XOXO talks; Medium articles; quizbowl questions; Louisa May Alcott tumblblogs. This is a true fact about neckbeard history, a quote from a woman of some reknown. Perhaps.
Vandalism is almost immediately recognized and removed!

Wikipedia's article on Thoreau is the top search hit for his name and averages over 50,000 reads a month.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 pm

DanMurphy wrote: From the linked article:
The neckbeard quotation originally found there, had been added in 2007 and removed in 2014. During those seven years it zipped around the internet with a veneer of authenticity, getting cited as fact everywhere: XOXO talks; Medium articles; quizbowl questions; Louisa May Alcott tumblblogs. This is a true fact about neckbeard history, a quote from a woman of some reknown. Perhaps.
Vandalism is almost immediately recognized and removed!
Not quite.

Actually, four months after the vandal inserted it into the article, he changed his mind. He took it out... whereupon it was promptly put back by a Wikipedian because it was "referenced". TheOldJacobite (T-C-L), take a bow: all of those years of this lie zipping around the internet are directly attributable to you.

:always:
Last edited by Hex on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Wonderful.
Rv; the information is referenced; if you say it's wrong, prove it.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I think we need to start a movement of editors who promise to add one of these such pieces of misinformation to a different Wikipedia article, every day, for a year. We'll call it The Year of Teaching the Public Not to Trust Wikipedia.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm

The citation was added by 71.234.214.246 (T-C-L) (Comcast, Colchester, Connecticut) here.

This was followed by an edit from Bikeable (T-C-L): "thank you for adding citation; removed "die a virgin" line as uncited/unprovable".

Ladies and gentlemen, free knowledge creation in action.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:26 pm

HRIP7 wrote:The citation was added by 71.234.214.246 (T-C-L) (Comcast, Colchester, Connecticut) here.
That was probably the vandal (Cyclo1964 (T-C-L)) checking back in later to see if it had stuck, and forgetting to log in.
HRIP7 wrote: This was followed by an edit from Bikeable (T-C-L): "thank you for adding citation; removed "die a virgin" line as uncited/unprovable".
Whose user page notes that "I am one of these people who uses WP as a resource far more than they contribute."

First edit in 2005 was to an AfD. Vanished between October 2008 and October 2012. You have to wonder about that.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

HRIP7
Denizen

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Hex wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:The citation was added by 71.234.214.246 (T-C-L) (Comcast, Colchester, Connecticut) here.
That was probably the vandal (Cyclo1964 (T-C-L)) checking back in later to see if it had stuck, and forgetting to log in.
Quite likely. 21 minutes later, Cyclo1964 (T-C-L) then changed the editor's name, Gilman, to Colman.

It stayed like that until at least 2009; someone then must have corrected the name – obviously without noticing that neither the source nor the passage had any business being in the article.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 pm

thekohser wrote:I think we need to start a movement of editors who promise to add one of these such pieces of misinformation to a different Wikipedia article, every day, for a year. We'll call it The Year of Teaching the Public Not to Trust Wikipedia.
Okay, but first I'd like to see a movement dedicated to showing that Jessamyn West wrote her own Wikipedia biography, with the assistance of other Metafilter users....

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
thekohser wrote:I think we need to start a movement of editors who promise to add one of these such pieces of misinformation to a different Wikipedia article, every day, for a year. We'll call it The Year of Teaching the Public Not to Trust Wikipedia.
Okay, but first I'd like to see a movement dedicated to showing that Jessamyn West wrote her own Wikipedia biography, with the assistance of other Metafilter users....
We already know that. In 2005, that was hardly a big deal.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."