Alice Dreger has a new book

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
EricBarbour

kołdry

Alice Dreger has a new book

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:08 pm

Remember her? Involved in the endless Jokestress editwarring?

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/07/gaileos ... _all_lose/

Forgive me, but I just couldn't help adding my own comment:
And no mention of the crackpot "activist" who issued the "cock-starved exhibitionist" nonsense, Andrea James?

http://alicedreger.com/in_fear

No mention of the berserk multi-year war Madame James waged on Wikipedia, trying to use it to defame James Cantor, Bailey and Dreger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... e/Sexology

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Re: Alice Dreger has a new book

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:08 pm

In 2012 I ran up against Fred "redirect them to clowns" Bauder (founding Arbcom committee member and a Colorado lawyer who lost his license after soliciting prostitution from both the girlfriend and soon-to-be ex-wife of a divorce client) who lectured me about the evils of including Dreger's recollections of dealing with James in a Wikipedia article. Bauder remains a Wikipedia senior editor ("administrator") to this day. True story.
I have read The New York Times article. Some of your edits with respect to Andrea James go well beyond the information contained in that source. Such assertions must be clearly supported by citations to reliable sources. I have suppressed several edits you have made which are Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons violations. Please consider this a final warning by an uninvolved administrator. We are prepared to deal with negative information, even outrage, but you must cite a reliable source with respect to every detail every time you post scandalous information. User:Fred Bauder Talk 21:43, 29 March 2012 (UTC) ec

You're a little out of your depth it seems. The peer-reviewed academic paper by Alice Dreger, a professor of medical ethics at Northwestern University's medical school and published in the premeir journal of sex research, is the one with the greater detail (and is in turn cited to James own website). You can read it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez . I quoted with a great deal of care. Happy reading. Dan Murphy (talk) 21:48, 29 March 2012 (UTC)

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:08 am

DanMurphy wrote:In 2012 I ran up against Fred "redirect them to clowns" Bauder (founding Arbcom committee member and a Colorado lawyer who lost his license after soliciting prostitution from both the girlfriend and soon-to-be ex-wife of a divorce client) who lectured me about the evils of including Dreger's recollections of dealing with James in a Wikipedia article. Bauder remains a Wikipedia senior editor ("administrator") to this day. True story.
I have read The New York Times article. Some of your edits with respect to Andrea James go well beyond the information contained in that source. Such assertions must be clearly supported by citations to reliable sources. I have suppressed several edits you have made which are Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons violations. Please consider this a final warning by an uninvolved administrator. We are prepared to deal with negative information, even outrage, but you must cite a reliable source with respect to every detail every time you post scandalous information. User:Fred Bauder Talk 21:43, 29 March 2012 (UTC) ec

You're a little out of your depth it seems. The peer-reviewed academic paper by Alice Dreger, a professor of medical ethics at Northwestern University's medical school and published in the premeir journal of sex research, is the one with the greater detail (and is in turn cited to James own website). You can read it here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez . I quoted with a great deal of care. Happy reading. Dan Murphy (talk) 21:48, 29 March 2012 (UTC)
Did the loss of Bauder's licence come after the hearing to change his censure (as linked by you above) from private (as being too lenient) to public? Or is "public censure" in the US the same as losing a licence to practise?

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:10 am

Bielle wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:In 2012 I ran up against Fred "redirect them to clowns" Bauder (founding Arbcom committee member and a Colorado lawyer who lost his license after soliciting prostitution from both the girlfriend and soon-to-be ex-wife of a divorce client) who lectured me about the evils of including Dreger's recollections of dealing with James in a Wikipedia article. Bauder remains a Wikipedia senior editor ("administrator") to this day. True story.

Did the loss of Bauder's licence come after the hearing to change his censure (as linked by you above) from private (as being too lenient) to public? Or is "public censure" in the US the same as losing a licence to practise?
I think it's in the link provided (not sure, been a while since I read it). But either way, he lost his license because he refused to pay the fine demanded.

Adding: Yeah. Here it is.
He did not pay the costs as ordered, however, or file a motion for an extension of time to comply with our order.   Moreover, Bauder failed to respond to a letter from the Office of Disciplinary Counsel and has not explained or justified his noncompliance with the order.   As a result, a request for investigation was filed against him.   Bauder did not respond to the request for investigation.

...The 1997 public censure is an aggravating factor for analyzing the proper level of discipline.   See id. at 9.22(a).   Other aggravating factors include Bauder's refusal to acknowledge the wrongfulness of his conduct, see id. at 9.22(g);  his substantial experience in the practice of law, see id. at 9.22(i);  and his indifference to making restitution, see id. at 9.22(j).   Because Bauder did not appear at the hearing or offer any evidence, no mitigating factors were found.

The lawyer respondent has defaulted and apparently ignored the disciplinary proceedings.

...It is hereby ordered that Fred Bauder is suspended from the practice of law for thirty days, effective thirty days after the issuance of this opinion.   It is further ordered that, prior to seeking reinstatement and as a condition thereof, Bauder shall pay the costs of his 1997 disciplinary proceeding in the amount of $2,058.97 plus statutory interest from August 14, 1997, to the Attorney Regulation Committee.   Bauder is further ordered to pay the costs of this proceeding in the amount of $124.11 within thirty days after this opinion is announced to the Attorney Regulation Committee, 600 Seventeenth Street, Suite 200 South, Denver, Colorado 80202-5432.   Bauder shall not be reinstated until after he has complied with C.R.C.P. 251.29.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 am

On Eric's start of this thread. Andrea James isn't mentioned by name. But she is quoted in the article.
Nevertheless, while she understands why some trans women object to Bailey’s book, Dreger was appalled by the campaign of character assassination levied against the psychologist by a handful of prominent trans activists. They falsely accused him of numerous violations of professional ethics, emailed his colleagues to say he was a drunk, persuaded several of his sources to turn against him by filing unsupported claims of impropriety, published misleading statements that he was under investigation (when any such inquiries were quickly abandoned as unfounded) and even appropriated school photos of his children to post with captions speculating that his daughter was “a cock-starved exhibitionist, or a paraphiliac, who just gets off on the idea of it.” When Dreger published her own debunking of these charges, she too became the subject of similar attacks.
The “a cock-starved exhibitionist, or a paraphiliac, who just gets off on the idea of it” quote was written by James. The connection of James, of James to her Wikipedia account ("Jokestress"), and of both James and Jokestress to the "cock-starved exhibitionist" comment scrawled over a picture of a girl, was made on Wikipedia for the first time (at the latest) in 2009.

In 2013 James was banned from the topic of her activism:
1) Jokestress and James Cantor are banned from interacting with each other, commenting on and/or commenting about each other including their professional lives, works and on-wiki activities. This applies to all namespaces, but excludes dispute resolution that explicitly relates to both parties.

2.1) Jokestress is indefinitely banned from the topic of human sexuality, including biographical articles.
Only took four years.
:always:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:12 am

Hah. I need to save that one. Only on Wikipedia would someone like Fred continue to "have power" of any kind.