The Charlie Hebdo tragedy, and how WP "handles" it

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
EricBarbour

kołdry

The Charlie Hebdo tragedy, and how WP "handles" it

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:12 am

First, I've already mentioned that Wikipedians can't agree on which article should handle the shootings.

Now, try this: do a current Google News search for "Djamel Beghal". A friend/mentor to one of the killers.

Then look at Djamel Beghal (T-H-L). A pathetic stub, not substantially updated since April 2008, except for the usual category/template/etc. gnoming.

Plus, it's amazing how much of this "coverage" looks like Redditors speculating about the Boston bombers or the Navy Yard shooter. The story is still developing, and they're quite happy to collect random media stories and pile them up like marbles -- now up to 252 "references" and 121k bytes.

Plus, shit like this. Given that she was getting phoned death threats calling her a "dirty Jew", yeah, that's relevant. But if you can't prove she was Jewish, why "discuss" it?
Elsa Cayat, 54, psychoanalyst and columnist of Jewish[relevant? – discuss] descent.[74]
Oh look, there's already an article. Elsa Cayat (T-H-L). Where are the articles for all the other victims?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: The Charlie Hebdo tragedy, and how WP "handles" it

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:55 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Oh look, there's already an article. Elsa Cayat (T-H-L). Where are the articles for all the other victims?
Eric, I'm not clear what point you are making. There are articles on six of the other victims. Maybe the remaining five aren't notable or have too little available information to produce an article; maybe people are actively working on articles at present. Georges Wolinski (T-H-L) (who was also Jewish) has had an article since 2007.

And according to CNN, "She was definitely killed because she was Jewish", which makes it rather relevant.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:33 pm

Poetlister wrote:Eric, I'm not clear what point you are making. There are articles on six of the other victims. Maybe the remaining five aren't notable or have too little available information to produce an article; maybe people are actively working on articles at present. Georges Wolinski (T-H-L) (who was also Jewish) has had an article since 2007.
Elsa Cayat wasn't "notable" until the day after she was murdered -- on 8 January. Only a few victims got an article after their murder -- Cayat, Philippe Honoré (cartoonist) (T-H-L), Bernard Maris (T-H-L), and Tignous (T-H-L). Please explain the "criteria" here.

You know damn well what my point is. Twenty people were murdered, two of them "probable" Muslims. I'll shut up when Ahmed Merabet and Mustapha Ourrad have their own articles.

"Aren't notable"? Do a Google News search on any of the victims' names. Any of them. Try Michel Renaud for one. Are you going to tell me he's "not notable" after all that?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:47 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Elsa Cayat wasn't "notable" until the day after she was murdered -- on 8 January. Only a few victims got an article after their murder -- Cayat, Philippe Honoré (cartoonist) (T-H-L), Bernard Maris (T-H-L), and Tignous (T-H-L). Please explain the "criteria" here.

You know damn well what my point is. Twenty people were murdered, two of them "probable" Muslims. I'll shut up when Ahmed Merabet and Mustapha Ourrad have their own articles.

"Aren't notable"? Do a Google News search on any of the victims' names. Any of them. Try Michel Renaud for one. Are you going to tell me he's "not notable" after all that?
There are loads of people who don't have articles who should. Plenty of people don't get articles until they die and so come to the attention of Wikipedia editors, and until they get obituaries that will provide reliable references. Clearly, the editor of the magazine should have had an article already; it was just one of many thousand oversights.

And if someone is a victim in a mass murder so that there are many references to him or her in news stories about the mass murder, I don't believe that these references make the person notable.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:34 am

All of it is fucked. My wife has gone through a whole gamut of views and emotions in the last week. From reminiscing on seeing Algerian's having knife fights in the streets of Rouen back in the early 60s, and one beating up on her sister, though to deciding that you have a bunch of arseholes encouraging and promoting violent stupidity, and a fertile ground for the violent stupidity to thrive in the minds of a minute number of the alienated underclass of poor and unemployed from the ex-colonies living in the suburbs.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:32 pm

lilburne wrote:All of it is fucked. My wife has gone through a whole gamut of views and emotions in the last week. From reminiscing on seeing Algerian's having knife fights in the streets of Rouen back in the early 60s, and one beating up on her sister, though to deciding that you have a bunch of arseholes encouraging and promoting violent stupidity, and a fertile ground for the violent stupidity to thrive in the minds of a minute number of the alienated underclass of poor and unemployed from the ex-colonies living in the suburbs.
I blame Wikipedia.
-----------
Notvelty

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Notvelty wrote:
lilburne wrote:All of it is fucked. My wife has gone through a whole gamut of views and emotions in the last week. From reminiscing on seeing Algerian's having knife fights in the streets of Rouen back in the early 60s, and one beating up on her sister, though to deciding that you have a bunch of arseholes encouraging and promoting violent stupidity, and a fertile ground for the violent stupidity to thrive in the minds of a minute number of the alienated underclass of poor and unemployed from the ex-colonies living in the suburbs.
I blame Wikipedia.
I blame everybody but me. That's more or less my standard response to damn near every problem on the planet.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Mod's note: offending post and replies moved into oblivion.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 am

[Mod note: all off-topic posts (i.e. not specifically and primarily concerning Wikipedia) and replies to those posts (even if they did mention WP articles) were split to the off-topic area.]