Wikipedia apps

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Mancunium
Habitué
kołdry

Wikipedia apps

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Wikipedia picks up support for Cortana, while Xbox One SmartGlass gets bug fixes
Windows Phone Central, 24 April 2014 link
Head into the Windows Phone Store and you’ll see version 2.3 of Wikipedia from Rudy Huyn. Thankfully Rudy is one of those developers that likes to leave a changelog. Here’s what’s new: Cortana support
Want to take the voice commands for a spin? Try saying something like “Wikipedia, show me an article about bananas” and you’ll then be taken to the Wikipedia page all about Bananas!
Download Wikipedia from the Windows Phone Store.
Wikipedia: link
★★★★★ The best Wikipedia app on the marketplace ★★★★★

All Wikipedia on your windows phone. In addition to a quick and easy access to articles, get innovative features:
- Support Cortana
- View wikipedia articles around your location
- Search in 100 languages
- Offline mode to view article without internet connection
- Display the summary of the article
- Find your favorite articles
- View previous versions of article
- Simply share a article on Facebook, Twitter, by mail or by generating a QRCode
- Support Pocket (formerly Read It Later) and Instapaper
- live-tiles
- voice command and speech recognition
- NFC sharing
- protocol extension
update 2.3:
support Cortana
No thanks. I studied banana plantations in Central America, and already know that it is the most pernicious crop on the face of earth. But the Wikipedia app might impress your fellow frosh.

This app, on the other hand, would likely awe your fellow sophomores:

Wikipedia App Inspired By 109-Year-Old Encyclopedia
A Wikipedia redesign riffs on a century-old style.
Co.Design, 24 April 2014 link
What should Wikipedia look like in the modern age? It’s a question that Wikipedia is wrestling with internally, that designers are playing with via sleek concepts, and that one app developer is exploring through a very old world lens.

Das Referenz, by Raureif--the same Raureif that brought us Partly Cloudy--is an iPad app that re-skins Wikipedia into a classic, leather-bound encyclopedia. Its creators, in fact, drew inspiration from a 12-volume Meyer’s encyclopedia printed in 1895, with the hope of elevating Wikipedia’s knowledge to that of a more cherished object. “We think knowledge is something precious, almost like a keepsake, something to be treated with a bit of respect. Old encyclopedias did just that: leather-bound, fine paper, careful editorial selection, and attention to typographic details. For us, these encyclopedias are timeless beauties,” developer Timm Kekeritz tells Co.Design. “We intentionally did not go for the sleek, airy style, as this is more suitable for temporary contents, such as blog articles. For instance, we love the design of Medium.com. But while it is a great fit for blog articles, it seems a bit too light for a work of reference.”

In turn, the pages are tan, like parchment paper. Images are turned to black and white (until you tap them, then they go full-screen color). These skeuomorphic touches may or may not be your cup of tea, but they’re meant to elicit the feeling of precious, heirloom information in the same way that an old book would. [...] Yet the neatest thing about Das Referenz may not be its classic take on information, but its future-forward approach to Wikipedia. Some pages are smart enough to actually integrate and render information from the information repository Wikidata--pasting images such as timelines into relevant Wikipedia articles--which even Wikipedia itself doesn’t do yet. This particular integration is fairly basic right now. It’s basically just when a few people lived and died--on a timeline. And pages that support the feature are few and far between. But given that Wikidata has all sorts of information ripe for visualization--such as geolocations, sport statistics, and box office revenues--it’s great to see developers running with the idea, even if Wikipedia itself isn’t quite yet.
das Referenz: link
Encyclopedias have always showcased culture and style:
Das Referenz strives to build on this heritage. With an eye for detail, Das Referenz puts Wikipedia’s vast amount of knowledge into a sleek package of clear layouts, world-class typography, and playful interactions. Free Download on the App Store
das Referenz - Wikipedia: link
What's New in Version 1.1
- You can now remove the ad banner via In App Purchase
- Search history (yes, these large words in the background)
- Open any article in Safari

iPad Screenshot:

former Living Person

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Re: Wikipedia apps

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 pm

For me at least a lot of the authorized Wikipedia apps have turned out to be crap. Visual editor the biggest obvious failure. Ironically the ones that are not "authorized" but donen as volunteer effort like AutoWikiBrowser and Twinkle work ten times better than the crap the WMF cooks up. Even the mobile browser is crap. On my phone it crashes half the time and its nearly impossible to edit.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:33 pm

There is WPCleaner and Huggle as well.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah there are quite a few others too and most of them were done by volunteers. Don't get me wrong, several were started by WMF employee developers. But it was on their own time where they say a need to fill and not something sanctioned and given time for development by the WMF. They would rather waste time on stuff like Visual editor which is only now, a full year after being fully deployed, starting to show signs of being useful.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:13 pm

The bibliophile network : Digital public library of America marks first anniversary
AllVoices, 24 April 2014 link
America could well be rewriting the book on libraries, digital, and non-profit initiatives. The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA), which turned one last week, has made steady progress on all three fronts and given hope for similar initiatives aimed at simplifying access and availability for every member of the Information Age. In keeping with the times the Digital Public Library is not one behemoth but a network that connects a range of libraries and public archives in a manner where the sum of the parts is bigger than the whole. At the time of writing there were 7,052,662 items available to browse in the library and approximately one million visitors had come to the website. [...]

Built completely on open source software, the library has actively encouraged the development of an app ecosystem around it. An app called OpenPics allows users to view images from the huge online image collection. DPLAbot is a Twitter bot that randomly tweets links to information archives from the library. An app called FindDPLA gives you widget that allows you to search the library’s resources as you are browsing any entry in Wikipedia.
Maybe there is hope for a smarter Internet after all!
DPLA App Library: link

Wikipedia:FindDPLA (T-H-L)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Microsoft's official Bing Wikipedia Browser app for Windows 8.1 combines content with search
WinBeta, 24 April 2014 link
Microsoft has rolled out a new app in the Books & Reference category in the Windows Store. The app, called Bing Wikipedia Browser, is a simple app that lets you search for content on Wikipedia, with enhanced search and content recommendations powered by Bing. The app is fantastic in that it will showcase a "recommendation bar" at the bottom, highlighting related search topics. "Bing Wikipedia Browser by Microsoft combines the content from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, with enhanced search, browse, and content recommendations based on the Bing Knowledge repository," the app description reads. [...]
Bing Wikipedia Browser
Microsoft Windows link
Get Windows 8.1 to run this app.
Features
search & browse articles with comfort
explore related topics with the bottom recommendation bar
flip through all images in an article in high resolution
share interesting topics with your friends
If your friends all have Windows 8.1.
Why would you want to be friends with anyone who doesn't?
former Living Person

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Why would I want to be friends with anyone who uses Windows 8? I use it and I hate it.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

I'm a Mac and am proud of it.

Interestingly enough, Mac's built-in Dictionary app has Wikipedia search.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 pm

I am switching to Linux myself. My son already did and he loves it so I can't have my son with better stuff than me.:-)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm

These are nice sentiments so far. But I would appreciate no OS nerd-slap-fights.

Meanwhile, are we done discussing Wikipedia apps?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Zoloft wrote:These are nice sentiments so far. But I would appreciate no OS nerd-slap-fights.

Can't have. No one"s said anything about the Koch brothers yet.
-----------
Notvelty

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Notvelty wrote:
Zoloft wrote:These are nice sentiments so far. But I would appreciate no OS nerd-slap-fights.

Can't have. No one"s said anything about the Koch brothers yet.
"Quiet, or I'll put the leeches on you."

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing