Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Lily Cole's social network

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:44 pm

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 23920.html

Evening Standard Wed 18 Sep, page 21
“The average Londoner knows just one neighbour,” says Lily Cole. But this King’s Cross resident is far from average. In the course of setting up her social network, Impossible.com — designed for users living in the same area to help each other — the 25-year-old model and actress has established an impressive posse of her own among the movers and shakers of the tech world, including Instaman Kevin Systrom. Meet Lily’s social network.
It includes "Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia" and his wife.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Lily Cole's social network

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Outsider wrote:http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/lon ... 23920.html

Evening Standard Wed 18 Sep, page 21
“The average Londoner knows just one neighbour,” says Lily Cole. But this King’s Cross resident is far from average. In the course of setting up her social network, Impossible.com — designed for users living in the same area to help each other — the 25-year-old model and actress has established an impressive posse of her own among the movers and shakers of the tech world, including Instaman Kevin Systrom. Meet Lily’s social network.
It includes "Jimmy Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia" and his wife.
Always on the lookout for the next ex-Mrs Wales.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:12 pm

I suspect that the current one will be around for some time. She is far more useful to him than the previous ones were.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Outsider wrote:I suspect that the current one will be around for some time. She is far more useful to him than the previous ones were.
Who said anything about Jimmy dumping her?
He'll revert to form and then it'll be onto the hunt for number 4.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Outsider wrote:I suspect that the current one will be around for some time. She is far more useful to him than the previous ones were.
If he has another affair, the coverage will make the Rachel Marsden one look trivial. Kate's friends will ensure that!

Moonage Daydream
Habitué

Unread post by Moonage Daydream » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Can we cut Jimbo some slack for these imaginary transgressions? You can say "I told you so" if it ever happens.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Moonage Daydream wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Can we cut Jimbo some slack for these imaginary transgressions? You can say "I told you so" if it ever happens.
The WMF has the Russian receipts.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Mission Impossible: Lily Cole's new social network
The Telegraph, 23 November 2013 link
[...] It is easy to dismiss Cole’s idea as just too impossibly romantic, but she is backed by the founder of one of the most successful examples of a gift economy: Jimmy Wales. Wikipedia, Wales’s freely licensed digital encyclopedia of more than 24 million entries, relies on virtually an all-volunteer staff of some 80,000 people inspired to do something helpful; in this case, provide access to accurate knowledge. Cole met Wales at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January 2012, and her first question to him was why had he made Wikipedia non-profit. ‘At that point I was really thinking about the business structure, and how I could put gift economy into a monetary model and not create a paradox,’ Cole says.

Wales emails to tell me how impressed he was with Cole’s pitch. ‘She had a deep understanding of what in fact makes up a huge part of human life: doing nice things for each other with no expectation of any particular return. When I started Wikipedia, I didn’t have a concern for a business model – the thing itself is the reward. Similarly Lily thinks of Impossible as something beautiful that has to happen: make something amazing and figure out the details later.’ [...] Wales, who lent her office space in Marylebone, [...] signs his email off with, ‘We have become dear friends and I do think of her as another daughter.’ [...]
Impossible

Possible
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Supermodel Lily Cole in Impossible partnership with Jimbo Wales
The Register, 26 November 2013 link
Supermodel Lily Cole has launched a new social network, dubbed Impossible, that relies on the good nature of strangers to exchange "gifts" on the site for free. A cursory glance at Impossible appears to bring forth a variety of people who are trustafarians, fashionistas, stalkers, Jimmy Wales or some peculiar hybrid of all the above. Cole has (probably) been to Newcastle* and back in recent days to big up her effort with the national press as she tries to convince people to use the site.

[...] Impossible immediately nags you for your location upon entering the site for the first time. Although it freely displays the latest "wishes" to be posted on the network, anyone who wants to read the comments of others is required to create an account first. She's got financial backing from the UK government to the tune of £200,000 from the Cabinet Office's Innovation in Giving fund - which some might characterise as a different type of "gift economy". Cole has injected some of her own cash into Impossible and so has her biz partner Kwame Ferreira. And she's got support from Jimbo Wales himself.

"She had a deep understanding of what in fact makes up a huge part of human life: doing nice things for each other with no expectation of any particular return," Wales told the Telegraph. "When I started Wikipedia, I didn’t have a concern for a business model - the thing itself is the reward. Similarly Lily thinks of Impossible as something beautiful that has to happen: make something amazing and figure out the details later."

We give it two months before nominative determinism kicks in. [...]
Lily Cole with date Jimmy Wales at recent Thought Leaders thingy

Jimmy Wales addressing reporters' questions about where he spent the night

Mission impossible: Lily Cole’s online revolution
Evening Standard, 23 November 2013 link
[...] Impossible has been created under the advice of Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia (another example of a gift culture) and Nobel Peace Prize recipient and economics professor Muhammad Yunus. She met them at the Davos World Economic Forum, having been invited there as part of the Government's post-Olympics GREAT campaign. [...] “Whenever I’d meet someone who was interested in these ideas or worked in technology I’d start telling them these ideas. Again and again people would say, ‘I love it. How can I help?’” she explains. One of those was Jimmy Wales. [...]
Lily Cole's Impossible: Will it join the long list of celebrity "social sites" which faded into obscurity?
Yahoo News, 25 November 2013 link
[...] It’s a really, really lovely idea - a bless-her-cotton-socks idea. But seeing the model on a panel with Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Wikipedia's Jimmy Wales, I rather hope one at least whispered some advice. “Don’t do it.” [...]
Lily Cole waiting for Jimmy Wales to come over and show her how a laptop works
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sm tags
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 pm

I had to leave a comment on the Yahoo story:
The involvement of Jimmy Wales almost completely insures the failure of this project. See the only other projects that he truly attempted on his own -- Openserving (fail) and Wikia Search (fail). The only other charitable project that he's worked on since Wikimedia Foundation (an over-spending waste of about $20 million per year) is Civilination (near fail). Good luck, Lily Cole. You've teamed up with some heavy-duty dead weight there. It'll be tough to overcome that. Oh, and when one of your "wishes" inevitably ends up being chopped up and stored in a freezer, a la Craigslist murder victims, that's going to tarnish the brand, so to speak. So, have a crisis management plan in place.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:05 pm

I am, personally, mystified as to how she is a supermodel.

Seems to suffer from the dreaded 49er syndrome.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Vigilant wrote:I am, personally, mystified as to how she is a supermodel.

I'm sorry to say that this is why Loli Cole -- pardon, Lily Cole -- became a supermodel:
full-lily-cole-1454515715.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hide tags
former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Mancunium wrote:

I'm sorry to say that this is why Loli Cole -- pardon, Lily Cole- became a supermodel:
That is so very fucking creepy.
Real stomach turning.

Sexualization of children...

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mancunium wrote:

I'm sorry to say that this is why Loli Cole -- pardon, Lily Cole- became a supermodel:
That is so very fucking creepy.
Real stomach turning.

Sexualization of children...
But she's also an intellectual.
34_Lily_Cole.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
former Living Person

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 pm

Hmmmm.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not a signature.

Bielle
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Bielle
Wikipedia Review Member: Bielle

Unread post by Bielle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Do you think maybe you could shrink the images somewhat? Otherwise, someone might conclude that you find them attractive.

I think they are likely creepy at any size, but moderation and all that ..>

Edit: Done using new 'sm' tag in place of 'img' tag. --Zoloft

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:52 pm

Bielle wrote:Do you think maybe you could shrink the images somewhat? Otherwise, someone might conclude that you find them attractive.

Sorry. These are among the first photos that come up in Google Image search, and I don't know how to shrink them, except by adjusting their size with FotoFlexer. Maybe someone else could help.

Attachments, by the way, can only be seen by members of Wikipediocracy.
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 am

Mancunium wrote:
Bielle wrote:Do you think maybe you could shrink the images somewhat? Otherwise, someone might conclude that you find them attractive.

Sorry. These are among the first photos that come up in Google Image search, and I don't know how to shrink them, except by adjusting their size with FotoFlexer. Maybe someone else could help.

Attachments, by the way, can only be seen by members of Wikipediocracy.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hide tags and hyperlink tags (content seems to be hidden anyway)
former Living Person

Bielle
Gregarious

Unread post by Bielle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 am

Well, that puts me in my place.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Truly stomach turning.

Nice to see Jimmy Wales hanging out with someone who profits directly from the sexualization of young girls and the pandering to those who consume this material.

Bravo, Jimmy. You fucking maggot.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:52 pm

Don't forget -- Lily Cole was featured (in archive footage) in the documentary film, "Are All Men Pedophiles?"
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:22 pm

thekohser wrote:Don't forget -- Lily Cole was featured (in archive footage) in the documentary film, "Are All Men Pedophiles?"
She has certainly chosen her acting roles with care. Here she is playing a naughty schoolgirl in St Trinian's:
Here she is being gang-raped by old men in a music video:
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:25 am

Mancunium wrote:Here she is being gang-raped by old men in a music video:
Is that David Gerard at the 1:00 mark?

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:52 am

Mancunium wrote:I don't know how to shrink them, except by adjusting their size with FotoFlexer. Maybe someone else could help.
Resizr will let you shrink and do other basic adjustments to images directly in your browser without having to upload anything to it - just enter the URL of the image you want to work with. When it's finished and presents you with an image, copy the URL and use the "Web" button on imgur to permanently rehost it. (Resizr doesn't keep your modified image for long.)
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:33 am

Hex wrote:
Mancunium wrote:I don't know how to shrink them, except by adjusting their size with FotoFlexer. Maybe someone else could help.
Resizr will let you shrink and do other basic adjustments to images directly in your browser without having to upload anything to it - just enter the URL of the image you want to work with. When it's finished and presents you with an image, copy the URL and use the "Web" button on imgur to permanently rehost it. (Resizr doesn't keep your modified image for long.)
Thanks for that. I'm an idiot.

Lily Cole: Mission Impossible
In her latest column, Lily Cole takes Jimmy Wales and Joss Whedon on her Impossible journey

Evening Standard, 4 December 2013 link
Meanwhile, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales and I donned balaclavas and Santa hats and spent the day running around town fulfilling wishes and giving gifts to people who posted wishes for them on impossible! “It’s just FUN,” @jimmy writes.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
former Living Person

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:43 am

Bielle wrote:Well, that puts me in my place.
I can't see them either and I thought I was a WPO member, what with being a "Trustee" and all. Is this like The Emperor's New Clothes (T-H-L)?

Let us not forget Jimbo's past proclivities (with thanks from David Gerard (T-C-L)):

Source: Uncyclopedia link

Is there anyone in the WMF that is not a misogynist, sexist pig? Where are the revolts, the protests, the angry mobs? No wonder Wikipedia has trouble getting women editors with Captain Jimbo at the wheel.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link tag
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:45 am

If I were Jimbo's wife and saw those photos, I'd nail his whatzits to the wall and put a photo of it on Commons. :angry:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 pm

The Joy wrote:If I were Jimbo's wife...
Which one? Oh, you mean the third one who's too busy at home with the toddler and the baby to post anything to Commons.

Actually, to be a bit more fair to Jimbo, one of the reasons he's so tied into Lily Cole is that Cole was a client of Freud Communications, where Mrs. Jimbo is a director. So, visibility for Lily is the mark of success for Freud, which reflects well on Kate Garvey's PR firm.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:02 pm

It's hard to describe what a bad idea this is.

Jimmy Wales, the face of Wikipedia and known philanderer, cavorting about London with the current face of child sexualization.

This one will come back to bite him in the ass.

He's so dumb it makes my teeth ache.

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 pm

The Joy wrote:
I can't see them either and I thought I was a WPO member, what with being a "Trustee" and all. Is this like The Emperor's New Clothes (T-H-L)?
They seem to have disappeared somehow.
This is not a signature.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:05 pm

I also get a kick out of an atheist wearing a Santa hat in December. Just take the easy and convenient things, Jimbo, but don't bother yourself with the difficult aspects.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:44 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
The Joy wrote:
They seem to have disappeared somehow.
Of the three missing ones, they were links, and the people hosting them took them down.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Mancunium wrote:Loli Cole
Ha. That's a keeper.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Vigilant wrote:Jimmy Wales, the face of Wikipedia and known philanderer, cavorting about London with the current face of child sexualization.
I'd say "Honey Boo-Boo" is the current face of child sexualization, at least in the United States. Lily Cole just isn't all that well-known in a general sense, and just about any pre-teen beauty contest is vastly more creepy than a Lily Cole fashion shoot is now, though it's true that she still has the face of a teenage girl (which I strongly suspect does give the pedos a bit of a thrill now and again, though).

That's not to say Jimbo isn't stupid and/or blundering in the conduct of his personal (and self-promotional) affairs, but let's be fair about this - in this case I'd say he's just being more of an opportunistic coattail-rider, and non-sexually at that. Ms. Cole can get media coverage more readily than he can, so he gloms on to get himself into more photos in the Daily Mail. Simple as that, if you ask me.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:05 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Jimmy Wales, the face of Wikipedia and known philanderer, cavorting about London with the current face of child sexualization.
I'd say "Honey Boo-Boo" is the current face of child sexualization, at least in the United States. Lily Cole just isn't all that well-known in a general sense, and just about any pre-teen beauty contest is vastly more creepy than a Lily Cole fashion shoot is now, though it's true that she still has the face of a teenage girl (which I strongly suspect does give the pedos a bit of a thrill now and again, though).

That's not to say Jimbo isn't stupid and/or blundering in the conduct of his personal (and self-promotional) affairs, but let's be fair about this - in this case I'd say he's just being more of an opportunistic coattail-rider, and non-sexually at that. Ms. Cole can get media coverage more readily than he can, so he gloms on to get himself into more photos in the Daily Mail. Simple as that, if you ask me.
Nothing is that simple.
Loli Cole.jpg
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:45 pm

It's getting to the point of being vomit-inducing.

(TVC Group, of course, is a PR firm.)

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:47 am

thekohser wrote:It's getting to the point of being vomit-inducing.

(TVC Group, of course, is a PR firm.)
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Yuk! Now The Impossible Network is "backed by Jimmy Wales".

2013′s Top 10 Inspiring Women in Tech
Chip Chick, 18 December 2013 link
Sure, Lily Cole is stunning and can rock a Givenchy gown like a creature pulled from a LOTR book, but with her beauty comes some serious brains and a passion to use her fame for good. The Impossible Network (still in beta), was launched back in April, and is designed to be “an altruistic social network”. Backed by Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder, it’s an online compendium of wishes and potential wishes. The idea is pay it forward, help someone out with spanish tutoring or a fish and in return – you get nothing.
No mention in this article of the person WikiWomen believe to be the world's first and greatest computer programmer, Ada_Lovelace (T-H-L), but here (seriously) is the site's illustration of a "top inspiring woman in tech":

By "backing", does Chip Chick mean financial backing, or the sort of backing that involves following closely behind someone while breathing heavily?
former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm not seeing the brains part...

I'm also not seeing the attractive part, to be perfectly honest.

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Vigilant wrote:I'm not seeing the brains part...

I'm sure you would have found her attractive when you were 15. Or if you were Jimbo.
This is not a signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Vigilant wrote:I'm not seeing the brains part...

I'm sure you would have found her attractive when you were 15. Or if you were Jimbo.
Dude. No.

She's a nasty face for pedo fantasies. It's stomach turning to me.

Just, no.

Even if that weren't the case, without makeup, she looks like someone hit her in the face with a frying pan.
The only way she does this modelling thing is by posing as an underage pedo target.
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bielle
Gregarious

Unread post by Bielle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:40 am

I have mentioned this before, but the size and number of these photos of Lily as a child-lover's dream is a disconnect with all the disclaimers of a lack of interest. Links would work just fine so that those of us who truly have no interest in these otherwise unavoidable likenesses could, uh, avoid them. Thumbnails would also work. I am reminded of those who buy Playboy for the articles . . .

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 am

Bielle wrote:I have mentioned this before, but the size and number of these photos of Lily as a child-lover's dream is a disconnect with all the disclaimers of a lack of interest. Links would work just fine so that those of us who truly have no interest in these otherwise unavoidable likenesses could, uh, avoid them. Thumbnails would also work. I am reminded of those who buy Playboy for the articles . . .

Better?
This is not a signature.

Bielle
Gregarious

Unread post by Bielle » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:01 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Better?
It isn't a matter of better or worse. I am not offended, just bored. The number and size make it hard to believe that the men collecting and displaying the multiple images are as appalled and/or disinterested as they claim to be. I am surprised.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:07 am

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can make the topic less garish without losing its err... enthusiasm. :deadhorse:

I'll swap big photos for thumbnails (like 150px tall) linked to the full-size photos, and sustitute links for the worst stuff.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 am

Bielle wrote:I have mentioned this before, but the size and number of these photos of Lily as a child-lover's dream is a disconnect with all the disclaimers of a lack of interest. Links would work just fine so that those of us who truly have no interest in these otherwise unavoidable likenesses could, uh, avoid them. Thumbnails would also work. I am reminded of those who buy Playboy for the articles . . .
I'll use links next time. Sorry.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 am

In the Chip Chick article, they feature Rachel Haot (T-H-L). She edits Wikipedia as Asterixie (T-C-L). Almost exclusively on subjects where she has a conflict of interest.

Don't worry, though -- Jimbo's Bright Line Rule is being enforced as such:
Hello. You seem to be very familiar with Rachel Haot, and I note you have also substantially edited GroundReport. Are you Rachel? This is not a problem per se, however you've removed sourced information from an article without discussion, and while I agree that the initial wording on the paragraph was substandard (e.g., "some"), nonetheless it represents a piece of information that might be included in the article. So, I ask again - are you the subject of the bio? If so, we need to make sure that we note that in the article's talk page to ensure that we don't run into conflict of interest issues, which Wikipedia takes seriously. Thank you! §FreeRangeFrogcroak 03:24, 9 January 2013 (UTC)
H(a)ot chicks get an exemption from the Bright Line Rule, it seems; and they get asked for their picture.
Thank you! We'll leave that whole paragraph off because I just realized there's actually a second piece very similar to that one, which were addressed in some way here. It does smell like a bit of a hit piece to me, and we also have a policy that governs whether to include these types of information in articles. Those pieces by Byers are really badly written indeed. As to the rest of the information, please remember that it needs to be sourced, from reliable sources and so on. I see you participated in the deletion discussion for GroundReport so you're probably familiar with how pesky we can be about sourcing information. By the way, if you wish to upload another photograph that you'd prefer be included in the article that would be fine. I found a bunch of them in the mayor's photo feed in Flickr but I'm not sure those licenses are compatible with Wikipedia. And finally, we usually welcome new editors with these flashy templates and information bullet points, plus some cookies... however I see no one bothered to do that for you, so consider this a belated welcome, and thank you for your contributions :) §FreeRangeFrogcroak 04:14, 9 January 2013 (UTC)
COI? No problem!

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:09 am

Bielle wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Better?
It isn't a matter of better or worse. I am not offended, just bored. The number and size make it hard to believe that the men collecting and displaying the multiple images are as appalled and/or disinterested as they claim to be. I am surprised.
Sorry. You misread me, I think. Here is beauty:
former Living Person

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 am

A Top Model’s Online Wishing Well
The New York Times, 5 March 2014 link
In the fiercely competitive world of tech start-ups, the idea of a website devoted to doing things out of the kindness of one’s heart may seem counterintuitive. But that’s just what the 26-year-old British model, actress and Cambridge graduate Lily Cole has put forth with her new online social platform and app, the Impossible. The site, which debuted last year in the U.K. but launches stateside this month, functions as a real-life, high-tech giving tree of sorts. [...] Supported and advised by the inventor of the Internet himself, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, as well as the Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales, and the Nobel Prize-winning economist Mohammed Yunus, Impossible proffers a new sort of sharing economy, one where giving and receiving are not monetized but merely acts of authentic human kindness. [...] "I want to use economics as a prism to look at our relationship to one another and to the planet,” she says, “and challenge the assumption that there is only one way of doing things.”
Lily Cole’s Website Could Make Your Wildest Dreams Come True
Stylelite, 8 March 2014 link
Lily Cole doesn’t just look like a kindly magical being — she’s got the heart of one too. The British model and actress [...] recently launched the U.S. version of Impossible, a gift economy website and app on which users can post wishes, grant those of others, and write impossibly cute thank-you notes. Nobel Peace Prize winner Mohammed Yunus, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, and Internet inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee are all on board with the 26-year-old Cambridge grad’s project, which means giving strangers stuff and receiving nothing but a warm, fuzzy feeling in return can’t be all bad. So far, believers in the Impossible have asked for meetings with Madonna and Taylor Swift, jobs, lessons in taxidermy and knitting, and more Miss America-ish things like for everyone to wake up smiling. It’s hard not to feel cynical in the year of our Digital Overload 2014, but Cole says altruism is what you want it to be. “[Impossible is] a riff on ‘I’m possible’ because it depends on people,” Cole said. “I really believe in people … I believe we can make it real if people want to make it real. It’s up to us.”
Using economics as a prism to look at our relationship to one another. We can make it real if people want to make it real.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:58 am

It appears Lily's right hand is somewhere under the table.