Haaretz: Israeli PM Netanyahu's Son Asks to Be Removed From Wikipedia in Rare Request

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Haaretz: Israeli PM Netanyahu's Son Asks to Be Removed From Wikipedia in Rare Request

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:45 pm

Haaretz: Israeli PM Netanyahu's Son Asks to Be Removed From Wikipedia in Rare Request (archive)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's son, Avner Netanyahu, has taken the unusual step of asking the Hebrew-language Wikipedia to delete his entry on the digital encyclopedia, sparking a fascinating storm in the local volunteer editors' community, who is now debating the request and is voting on whether to approve it.
"I am the subject of an entry, and I do not see any public importance for it. The entry is sparse in any case," Netanyahu wrote on April 8, after deleting a paragraph about his personal life. His fiancée's name was deleted from the section, leaving only the fact that he "is a fan of the Beitar Jerusalem football club."
Forty users currently support deletion, and 25 oppose it. The vote is due to end on Tuesday.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Re: Haaretz: Israeli PM Netanyahu's Son Asks to Be Removed From Wikipedia in Rare Request

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:09 pm

Do the reporters at en.wp think this event takes him beyond WP:BLP1E ? Apparently he also once appeared on a TV gameshow. :evilgrin:
los auberginos

rnu
Habitué

Re: Haaretz: Israeli PM Netanyahu's Son Asks to Be Removed From Wikipedia in Rare Request

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:49 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:09 pm
Do the reporters at en.wp think this event takes him beyond WP:BLP1E ? Apparently he also once appeared on a TV gameshow. :evilgrin:
If we find two more sources Wikipedians can write Avner Netanyahu Hebrew Wikipedia article controversy (T-H-L).

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:25 pm

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:57 pm

I was initially confused as I thought this was about Netanyahu's other son Yair Netanyahu (T-H-L), who is definitely a public figure and has enough long-term coverage to pass WP:GNG.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:09 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:57 pm
I was initially confused as I thought this was about Netanyahu's other son Yair Netanyahu (T-H-L), who is definitely a public figure and has enough long-term coverage to pass WP:GNG.
Never heard of Avener either. Yair is a nasty, nasty piece of work and in a case of extreme horseshoe theory often uses anti-semitic tropes, and allies with white supremacists, to attack people who criticize the far right.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:32 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:09 pm
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:57 pm
Never heard of Avener either. Yair is a nasty, nasty piece of work and in a case of extreme horseshoe theory often uses anti-semitic tropes, and allies with white supremacists, to attack people who criticize the far right.
I don't think "extreme horseshoe theory" means what you think it does. (Or you're just bored and trolling...)
los auberginos