Kyiv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Kyiv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 pm

Kiyv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages
The investigative website “Important Stories (iStories),” working with the Wikiganda project, has identified how almost a hundred members of Russia’s elite have been editing their biographies on both Russian and English versions of Wikipedia in an attempt to distance themselves from President Vladimir Putin and his so-called “special military operation (SVO)” by removing references to their [Russian] citizenship, property, sanctions and ties to the regime.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

TheSpacebook
Critic

Re: Kiyv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages

Unread post by TheSpacebook » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:11 pm
Kiyv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages
The investigative website “Important Stories (iStories),” working with the Wikiganda project, has identified how almost a hundred members of Russia’s elite have been editing their biographies on both Russian and English versions of Wikipedia in an attempt to distance themselves from President Vladimir Putin and his so-called “special military operation (SVO)” by removing references to their [Russian] citizenship, property, sanctions and ties to the regime.
Never heard of "Wikiganda" before now. I hope that bridges can be built between Wikipediocracy and Wikiganda.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Kiyv Post: Russian Billionaires Try to Hide Ties with Kremlin by Editing Wikipedia Pages

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:57 pm

Contacts
We are open to new ideas and collaborations. Contact us by email mail@wikiganda.org or Telegram @gruznov
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:02 pm

Roman Abramovich (T-H-L) is the most famous oligarch in the UK. He appeared from nowhere and bought Chelsea F.C. (T-H-L), the club most associated with the rich elite.

Somehow, for lots of assorted reasons, the sanctions have made Roman look even more of a nice guy than he did before, made the British government look totally incompetent, and reinforce the idea that rich Americans are stupid while rich Russians are clever.

The only reason Roman might ever edit Wikipedia, is that he's probably seen first hand that people in government these days probably are stupid enough to get their information from it.

I never saw any proof Roman was a Putin stooge, but in a world where our football clubs can be sold to sovereign states with deeply questionable human rights records as well as domestic sweatshop owners, it never really seemed to matter. And after all, running Chelsea was a stupendously expensive endeavor. So it surely meant he had far less to donate to the war effort than he does now.

I doubt Wikipedia really reflects any of this.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:25 am

Kraken wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:02 pm
Roman Abramovich (T-H-L) is the most famous oligarch in the UK. He appeared from nowhere and bought Chelsea F.C. (T-H-L), the club most associated with the rich elite.

Somehow, for lots of assorted reasons, the sanctions have made Roman look even more of a nice guy than he did before, made the British government look totally incompetent, and reinforce the idea that rich Americans are stupid while rich Russians are clever.

The only reason Roman might ever edit Wikipedia, is that he's probably seen first hand that people in government these days probably are stupid enough to get their information from it.

I never saw any proof Roman was a Putin stooge, but in a world where our football clubs can be sold to sovereign states with deeply questionable human rights records as well as domestic sweatshop owners, it never really seemed to matter. And after all, running Chelsea was a stupendously expensive endeavor. So it surely meant he had far less to donate to the war effort than he does now.

I doubt Wikipedia really reflects any of this.
I do too although I made a pretty concerted effort at one point.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 am

Kraken wrote:
Somehow, for lots of assorted reasons, Chelsea's incredibly bad 2022-23 season made Roman look even more of a nice guy than he did before, made the British government look totally incompetent, and reinforce the idea that rich Americans are stupid while rich Russians are clever.
FTFY. :)

On the plus side, the Chelsea women's team did pretty well last year, so the post-Abramovich era hasn't been a total loss.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:57 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 am
Kraken wrote:
Somehow, for lots of assorted reasons, Chelsea's incredibly bad 2022-23 season made Roman look even more of a nice guy than he did before, made the British government look totally incompetent, and reinforce the idea that rich Americans are stupid while rich Russians are clever.
FTFY. :)

On the plus side, the Chelsea women's team did pretty well last year, so the post-Abramovich era hasn't been a total loss.
Especially considering Roman was unusual among owners of his time and invested in the whole club as a community asset, leading the women's team to huge success along the same lines as the men - buy all the best players. And of course, the sanctions had a disproportionate effect on the women's team, which had only just managed to start getting sponsors in their own right, and are far more reliant on match day revenues and far more impacted by transfer bans.

If the new American owner has taken specific steps to mitigate that while still wasting billions through his sheer incompetence compared to Roman or even the slightly more successful other American owners, he hardly deserves any credit for it. Not since women's football is now mainstream, with far more bang for your buck than a men's team who long ago lost its sporting or financial advantage to its rivals.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.