Digital trail identifying Israeli spy chief has been online for years

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Digital trail identifying Israeli spy chief has been online for years

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:54 pm

The Guardian: Digital trail identifying Israeli spy chief has been online for years
Sariel even left traces of his activity on the Hebrew-language Wikipedia, where he used his real name and edited pages ranging from Louis XIV of France to an entry titled “the problem of Palestinian refugees”.
On Wikipedia, Sariel’s historical activity – also deleted in recent days – included edits to pages about the IDF’s Golani Brigade and another on the Palestinian right to return. His account, was created and used in the 2000s and could be linked to his role as co-founder of a group of reform-minded intelligence officers known as “the Choir”. The account listed an email address created using his first and last name.

In a post from 2006, a fellow Wikipedia user noticed the intelligence official’s activity on the website was “very public” and warned: “It’s possible that your personal details will be misused.”
Anyone feel like digging to see what the actual account name was and if anything out-of-process was done to hide it after discovery?

rnu
Habitué

Re: Digital trail identifying Israeli spy chief has been online for years

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:03 pm

It says he used his real name, so I guess it is https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D7%9E%D7 ... 7%90%D7%9C
יוסי שריאל (T-C-L) (no edits on en-wiki)
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 pm

Translation of Talk page wrote:Personal details

Hello Yossi, I would like to draw your attention to the fact that your user page (like all of us) is very public. It's possible that your personal details will be misused, and that's a shame. For example, you will receive a lot of junk mail. It is better to register your email in the "preferences" so that they can contact you when necessary through Wikipedia. Regards, Dorit 12:25, April 9, 2006 (UTC)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 pm

Yossi Sariel unmasked as head of Unit 8200

Indefinitely blocked Gilabrand (T-C-L), who's probably also the unblocked user Marokwitz (T-C-L) also worked for Unit 8200. Both accounts have uploaded photos to commons with "Aron Brand" listed as author in the EXIF data. He's now CTO of CTERA.

Look who created the article CTERA Networks (T-H-L).

nableezy
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: nableezy

Unread post by nableezy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:33 pm

tarantino wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 pm
Yossi Sariel unmasked as head of Unit 8200

Indefinitely blocked Gilabrand (T-C-L), who's probably also the unblocked user Marokwitz (T-C-L) also worked for Unit 8200. Both accounts have uploaded photos to commons with "Aron Brand" listed as author in the EXIF data. He's now CTO of CTERA.

Look who created the article CTERA Networks (T-H-L).
I promise you Gila is not Marokwitz and is not a he and is not CTO of anything.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:53 pm

Gila doesn't have anything to do with Aron Brand? They both extensively edited Natan Brand (T-H-L), CTERA Networks and Cisco Videoscape (T-H-L) along with several others. Pesahplate, uploaded to commons as "own work" by Gila, lists Aron Brand as the author. That all seems suspicious.

Paragon Deku
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Paragon Deku

Unread post by Paragon Deku » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 pm

tarantino wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:53 pm
Gila doesn't have anything to do with Aron Brand? They both extensively edited Natan Brand (T-H-L), CTERA Networks and Cisco Videoscape (T-H-L) along with several others. Pesahplate, uploaded to commons as "own work" by Gila, lists Aron Brand as the author. That all seems suspicious.
EXIF data saves the day once again, it seems. I for one am shocked that members of the intelligence community continue to astroturf wikipedia. Shocked!
If not the same person, it would mean they borrowed or shared a camera.

nableezy
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: nableezy

Unread post by nableezy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:05 am

tarantino wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:53 pm
I didnt say that they have nothing to do with each other, I said they arent the same person. Gila is a female Hebrew name. She has always identified as female on WP, and has always been pretty obviously telling the truth about that.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:04 am

If we can find out some things not covered in the media, let's scrape it together into a blog post.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:23 pm

I recently took a closer look at our Nakba denying friend Marokwitz (T-C-L). I had intended to keep looking a little more, but since the subject came up, here is what I found.

As has already been pointed out Marokwitz is identified on some Commons images, like this one, via the EXIF data as Aron Brand.
Looking at his contributions and in particular his article creations it seems that his Wikipedia editing can be more or less divided into two categories: Zionist POV pushing and personal interests.
He started out by creating the article on Natan Brand (T-H-L), presumably a relative of his. He also made a few edits to the article on his namesake Aron Brand (T-H-L).
As has also been pointed out before he created the article on CTERA Networks (T-H-L) whose CTO happens to be Aron Brand. On their homepage it says "Previously, Aron developed software at IDF’s Elite Technology Unit 8200." He also uploaded the CTERA Logo to Commons and fought the deletion of the CETERA article tooth and nail (of course without disclosing any COI).
Aron Brand also posts on Medium and has cited himself on Round-trip delay (T-H-L) and Edge computing (T-H-L).

I agree that Gilabrand (T-C-L) is likely a different person despite being identified via EXIF data on Commons images like this one as "Aron Brand". I assume that Gilabrand is Gila Brand who seems to have a fondness for Aron Brand's LinkedIn posts.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:35 pm

One more COI for Marokwitz/Aron Brand: He used to be "Chief Architect" at SofaWare technologies and has written Check_Point#SofaWare_legal_battle (T-H-L)

natoid_23
Banned

Unread post by natoid_23 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:55 pm

Hahah based, let's go, we need more people like him editing Wikipedia

natoid_23
Banned

Unread post by natoid_23 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 pm

I know a man who is paid by a council at Israeli embassy to edit the Albanian Wikipedia and honestly it is so based, I am not paid to do so but I still do

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:17 pm

natoid_23 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 pm
I know a man who is paid by a council at Israeli embassy to edit the Albanian Wikipedia and honestly it is so based, I am not paid to do so but I still do
That is very interesting. Thank you for such an interesting story.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:23 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:17 pm
natoid_23 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:01 pm
That is very interesting. Thank you for such an interesting story.
It’s not true, though.

Any fule knos that the Albanian Wiki is cringe.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

Based Banned.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone