Wikipedia is San Francisco's newest political battlefield

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Wikipedia is San Francisco's newest political battlefield

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:59 pm

San Francisco Examiner: Wikipedia is San Francisco's newest political battlefield

Apparently candidates for San Francisco's Board of Supervisors are getting increased attention from Wikipedians.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia is San Francisco's newest political battlefield

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:39 pm

Really good work by that reporter. As I was reading about the increased number of edits, I kept thinking "but did they stick or get reverted?" and then there was a helpful chart of article size over time to answer my question.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 pm

My favorite part of the article:
Lee Hepner, a former aide to Peskin, said he wasn’t aware of Peskin’s office or anyone else’s wading directly into editing battles on Wikipedia.
“It is not neutral, and it reflects the editorial biases of people who have the time and skill to edit it, and frankly, that does not include Supervisor Peskin; he’s not in there tinkering,” Hepner said.
Is he saying that Peskin doesn't have the time to edit Wikipedia, or that he doesn't have the skill?
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:55 am

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 pm
My favorite part of the article:
Lee Hepner, a former aide to Peskin, said he wasn’t aware of Peskin’s office or anyone else’s wading directly into editing battles on Wikipedia.
“It is not neutral, and it reflects the editorial biases of people who have the time and skill to edit it, and frankly, that does not include Supervisor Peskin; he’s not in there tinkering,” Hepner said.
Is he saying that Peskin doesn't have the time to edit Wikipedia, or that he doesn't have the skill?
I think he's saying he farmed it out to Lee Hepner. As in himself.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:18 pm

Interesting.
SF Examiner wrote:One anonymous user, thenightaway (T-C-L), has edited Preston’s page 26 times since 2020. In a recent edit, the user added on March 14 that the school Preston attended in the 1980s is “a prestigious Ivy League preparatory” and that he owns a valuable home.
The addition is also interesting because it fails to mention the major thrust of the source being cited, namely the campaign to defeat Preston and the money being invested in that effort, or Elon Musk's call for his imprisonment. It also does not cite the source for any of the following:
SF Standard wrote:To supporters, Preston is a principled lawmaker who has dedicated his entire career to keeping vulnerable people in their homes. During the pandemic, he pushed to extend a residential eviction moratorium and repurpose vacant hotels as shelter for unhoused residents. He was the driving force behind the Gaza cease-fire resolution [... .] ed: cf. TOI
[...]
To opponents, [...] His interest in halting Muni’s fare increases by definition starves the beleaguered transit agency of necessary funding. His anti-incarceration stance leaves him open to the accusation that he’s actively abetting the fentanyl crisis and indifferent to his district’s top concerns. And his insistence on affordable housing makes him the city’s No. 1 NIMBY.

source
Only the bits about his wealth are cherry-picked.

One also finds him citing op-eds and blogs without indicating that he is sourcing BLPs to op-eds and blogs: (#1: Preston, #2: Peskin / "absurdity" source, #3 Chan)

Neutrality (T-C-L) appears to be working with our snookerista (de renom)...

Comme dirait une certaine girafe, plus ça change...
los auberginos