Defending Wikipedia from Tabloid Hit Jobs

Wikipedia in the news - rip and read.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Defending Wikipedia from Tabloid Hit Jobs

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48 pm

Though writing sensationalised news about Wikipedia is a profitable occupation, John Lubbock argues that we all must make a stand against disinformation. ...

It is never easy to get the press to report on the valuable work we do to improve Wikipedia, which is used by around 1.4 billion people a month (21 billion total page views last month) and currently exists in 307 different languages. For some reason, much of the media is simply not interested in knowing ‘how the sausage is made’, though I feel that sometimes this lack of interest is due to the competition that Wikipedia poses to traditional media as a source of news.
Byline Times

You'd think that John Lubbock of all people would know that Wikipedia is not a newspaper.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Defending Wikipedia from Tabloid Hit Jobs

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48 pm
Though writing sensationalised news about Wikipedia is a profitable occupation, John Lubbock argues that we all must make a stand against disinformation. ...

It is never easy to get the press to report on the valuable work we do to improve Wikipedia, which is used by around 1.4 billion people a month (21 billion total page views last month) and currently exists in 307 different languages. For some reason, much of the media is simply not interested in knowing ‘how the sausage is made’, though I feel that sometimes this lack of interest is due to the competition that Wikipedia poses to traditional media as a source of news.
Byline Times

You'd think that John Lubbock of all people would know that Wikipedia is not a newspaper.
No — I'd think you would have the basic reading skills needed to ascertain that John Lubbock calls it no such thing anywhere in the article you link.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:17 pm

The point is that since Wikipedia is not a newspaper, it cannot be in competition with traditional media as a source of news. Surely Mr Lubbock would not suggest that this rule is being ignored.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:17 pm
The point is that since Wikipedia is not a newspaper, it cannot be in competition with traditional media as a source of news. Surely Mr Lubbock would not suggest that this rule is being ignored.
Perhaps RfB is using a WikiSpeak definition of traditional news media that excludes newspapers?

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:11 pm

From the title (and recent experience), I expected this thread to be about something totally different. I was not expecting it to be about Wikipedia being disparaged by the Mail. Mr. Tricky Title strikes again. :B' (Oh wait, that was the article title not Poetlister's... :XD )

This is, FWIW, what Smallbones has as his lead story for "In the Media" next month.
los auberginos

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm

He doesn't like the Guardian either. The Guardian clearly is not a tabloid. I don't understand the point he was making. A decision was made, allegedly, by the people who decide the policies, namely the ordinary editors of Wikipedia and therefore by Wikipedia insofar as it cn be regarded as an entity.
The Daily Mail, in particular, has been on a low-level crusade to discredit Wikipedia since 2017, when editors of the site decided to put the newspaper on the list of unreliable sources which should not be used to reference factual information (but can still be used for other things like quotes). The Guardian exacerbated this situation by sensationally headlining its report with Wikipedia Bans the Daily Mail as ‘Unreliable’ Source, suggesting that this was a top-down decision made by Wikipedia’s leaders. Wikipedia has no leaders and all the content and policies are decided democratically by ordinary editors who decide to participate in the discussions.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Wikipedia's content and policies are decided democratically? News to me.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:34 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 pm
My guess would be that they assumed most of their readers wouldn't have known the meaning of "ochlocratic," and even if they did they'd think it was practically the same thing.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:34 am
Eric Corbett wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 pm
My guess would be that they assumed most of their readers wouldn't have known the meaning of "ochlocratic," and even if they did they'd think it was practically the same thing.
In WikiSpeak it is the same thing.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 pm

It is democratic to the extent that anyone can turn up and comment. The fact that the vast bulk of even the regular editors have no idea that the discussion is happening is just an inconvenient little detail. And of course in the case of the Daily Mail, many US editors would never have seen a copy and would have no clue what the issue is.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 pm
It is democratic to the extent that anyone can turn up and comment. The fact that the vast bulk of even the regular editors have no idea that the discussion is happening is just an inconvenient little detail. And of course in the case of the Daily Mail, many US editors would never have seen a copy and would have no clue what the issue is.
Of course, Wikipedia shares with most democracies the fact that if you show up with constructive criticism, you may be 'disappeared.'

Oh wait, that's 'fascist dictatorships.' My bad.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:52 pm
Poetlister wrote:
Of course, Wikipedia shares with most democracies the fact that if you show up with constructive criticism, you may be 'disappeared.'

Wikipedia undoubtedly more closely resembles a fascist dictatorship than it does a democracy. The disappearing that goes on is only the tip of the iceberg.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Wikipedia undoubtedly more closely resembles a fascist dictatorship than it does a democracy. The disappearing that goes on is only the tip of the iceberg.
So true, why I've heard of people who were rude, nasty and condescending all the time. After like a decade of acting in this manner, -bam- they get disappeared in an entirely opaque process and everyone is too scared to say anything about, and it never gets talked about anywhere.

And it's just so very easy to be one of the ones in charge, so long as you know the right people and are in the right club. Most admins are 13th degree Freemasons, as everyone knows, and the entire ArbCom is made up of direct descendants of Aleister Crowley. That guy got around even more than you might think.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Yes of course, everyone on Wikipedia loves constructive criticism. Look how popular this site is over there. :D

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:

So true, why I've heard of people who were rude, nasty and condescending all the time. After like a decade of acting in this manner, -bam- they get disappeared in an entirely opaque process and everyone is too scared to say anything about, and it never gets talked about anywhere.

And it's just so very easy to be one of the ones in charge, so long as you know the right people and are in the right club. Most admins are 13th degree Freemasons, as everyone knows, and the entire ArbCom is made up of direct descendants of Aleister Crowley. That guy got around even more than you might think.
You really are such a pompous twat.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
So who is the charismatic dictatorial leader, Mr. Bad Analogy?

RfB

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:

RfB
I never said that there was any charismatic dictorial leader.

In truth I believe that Wikipedia more closely resembles a command economy such as China.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:

RfB
Eric's biggest regret is that he never got to perch his dimpled tuchus atop the golden throne of wikipedia power.

What a foul tyrant he'd have been.
Stalin would have blanched.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:56 am

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:11 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:

You really are such a pompous twat.
You really are entirely lacking in any sense of irony.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:26 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:

RfB
Isn't it obvious? It's our own Mr Midsize, hiding behind the curtain, and also running this site to divert attention.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

Eric Corbett wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:

RfB
I never said that there was any charismatic dictatorial leader.

In truth I believe that Wikipedia more closely resembles a command economy such as China.
50 sen for more thoughts like these. ^^

It wasn't a Brad who reverted my Christmas present in the end. It was Aquillion making their first ever edits to the page who did it. (So I rewrote the lead after some helpful input from DrMies.)

The very next day I was nearly disappeared over my addition and removal of the word "slightly".

Lot of people with lines through their names lately.
los auberginos