Infogalactic

wiki-reviewer
Critic
kołdry
Actual Name: Jake Sherman

Infogalactic

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:41 pm

Infogalactic (currently at infogalactic.com) was created October 10th 2016 as a way for American conservatives and right-wingers to edit Wikipedia content in a way they feel was not welcomed at Wikipedia. Their initial content was a fork of Wikipedia.
https://file770.com/vox-day-launches-in ... wikipedia/

It was launched by Vox Day, a bizarre, self-centered cult leader, and child of a far-right felon named Robert Beale

They seem to be purposefully buried by Google (no links to any Infogalactic pages, but only commentary of them)
https://www.google.com/search?q=infogalactic
but not Bing
https://www.bing.com/search?q=infogalactic (main page first result)
or Yandex
https://yandex.com/search/?text=infogalactic (main page first result)

Google is a major funder of Wikipedia

The wiki is currently contributed to by Bassiano and Sd-100. Their current edits are not political.
Their special pages are locked

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Infogalactic

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 pm

Huh.... I'm not sure what they are doing is 100% kosher as far as mirroring WP. I checked the article on where I live link and the only edit in the history is somehow made by me on 29 December 2015‎. I assume this is when they started making this thing, but I am less sure that that is proper attribution.

Bonus: Admins are known as "Starlords"link.
Wait, wait, it gets even better, link:
Corelords, also known as pro admins, are corporate professionals who have purchased the ability to oversee the editing of pages related to their industry at Infogalactic.
I also note that the "in the news" section on the main page has not been updated since December 2021.

Couldn't this be merged into the "mirrors and forks" thread? This seems pretty minor.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

wiki-reviewer
Critic

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:30 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 pm
Huh.... I'm not sure what they are doing is 100% kosher as far as mirroring WP. I checked the article on where I live link and the only edit in the history is somehow made by me on 29 December 2015‎. I assume this is when they started making this thing, but I am less sure that that is proper attribution.
'

Their userbase was never large, but historically larger than many in this subforum.
Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 pm
Their admins are named starlords
Theodore is a big sci-fi dude
https://www.amazon.com/Science-Fiction- ... dore+Beale

wiki-reviewer
Critic

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:42 pm

You start to see differences btw Wikipedia when you travel into pages Vox Day cares a lot about, like himself and Jordan Peterson (who he beefs with)

The Jordan Peterson lede is 7 paragraphs long
https://infogalactic.com/info/Jordan_Peterson

Notably, Theodore insults his followers outside of his wiki with various epithets if they write long bits of text. On his wiki? Perfectly fine

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:22 am

wiki-reviewer wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:42 pm
You start to see differences btw Wikipedia when you travel into pages Vox Day cares a lot about, like himself and Jordan Peterson (who he beefs with)

The Jordan Peterson lede is 7 paragraphs long
https://infogalactic.com/info/Jordan_Peterson
Ka-roo-koo-koo-koo, koo-koo-koo
Alt-right writers claim that in 2018 Peterson became the effective figurehead of the controlled opposition,[2] whose writings are allegedly encouraged by the established ruling class. While these left-wing authorities don't agree with Peterson's work, it is tolerated because it helps limit the range of politically acceptable discourse, also known as the Overton Window.[3] For this reason Peterson continues to be portrayed as being "right wing" in the mainstream media,[4] though Peterson himself has repeatedly denied being Alt-Right (on Joe Rogan's podcast, etc).[5] Socially, Peterson has been described as a successful gamma personality. He is strongly despised by SJWs, who consider him to be a "white supremacist",[6] though SJWs are almost always known for using that term to describe anyone to the right of Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, or other communist dictators such as Kim Jong-il and Robert Mugabe.

(By comparison, figures like Noam Chomsky are elevated by corporate media as controlled opposition from the left. Meanwhile, neither Chomsky nor Peterson will even discuss the numerous claimed anomalies of the "official" narratives of events such as 9/11 and the Holocaust, much less entertain theories about 9/11 being an engineered crisis, nor acknowledge it as worthy of study as the origin of the perpetual global War on Terror destroying countless millions of lives.[citation needed])
t

wiki-reviewer
Critic

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:39 pm

Bulwark magazine mentioned this wiki for the first time since the 2017 media blitz on Infogalactic.

wiki-reviewer
Critic

Unread post by wiki-reviewer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:07 pm

Most editing on the wiki as of late is focused on Catholic priests.

The wiki claims it's a for-profit corporation, but the links for all that it used to sell (merchandise) are all gone.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:23 pm

Theodore Beale/Vox Day is notorious in science fiction circles because he managed to disrupt the Hugo Awards for a couple of years by getting his devotees to block nominate people and works on his Rabid Puppies list. Many authors and fans had traditionally put out suggestions for various categories of awards but Beale managed to get his followers to nominate exactly the works and people on his puppies lists, which included himself multiple times and stories he had published. Most Worldcon members did not bother to nominate for all slots in all categories of the Hugo Awards, and this meant one year that roughly 90% of Beale's nominees got onto the final shortlists. This really got most Worldcon members' backs up So for the first time ever No Award headed the voting in more than one category.