Bizarre Technical Glitches

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Bizarre Technical Glitches

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:43 am

auriental wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:Someone saw my post at VPT, and apparently fixed it by purging the page. never heard of that before either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Purge
This usually only happens with complex templates. So if you don't deal much with templates then you probably wouldn't see this. This used to happen a lot with the convert templates but I don't think this affects Lua so now that some of the more complex templates like convert are being converted to Lua, this should be less common.
With respect purge is only useful to fix cascaded caching issues, which are neither more nor less likely to occur just because the generating code happens to be LUA. This is just the mediawiki incarnation of "Have you turned it off and on again?"
I frequently find that noticeboards are hours to days behind schedule by checking the "This page was last modified on" line at the bottom of the page and then comparing it to the history of the page. I occasionally even need to purge the history to find the most recent.

auriental
Contributor

Unread post by auriental » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:33 am

tarantino wrote:
auriental wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:Someone saw my post at VPT, and apparently fixed it by purging the page. never heard of that before either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Purge
This usually only happens with complex templates. So if you don't deal much with templates then you probably wouldn't see this. This used to happen a lot with the convert templates but I don't think this affects Lua so now that some of the more complex templates like convert are being converted to Lua, this should be less common.
With respect purge is only useful to fix cascaded caching issues, which are neither more nor less likely to occur just because the generating code happens to be LUA. This is just the mediawiki incarnation of "Have you turned it off and on again?"
I frequently find that noticeboards are hours to days behind schedule by checking the "This page was last modified on" line at the bottom of the page and then comparing it to the history of the page. I occasionally even need to purge the history to find the most recent.
That is pretty much the point I intended to make first time around.

Noticeboards are often simple transclusions from more basic components (and if you check the details most LUA code has a dummy template level included because the #invoke: logistics are too horrible to contemplate exposing to normal mortals.)

Result: cache issues re-emerge. And most of the caches are tagged to for refresh in 30 days anyway so eventually will reprocess anyway. Got to give that job queue something to do.

Hey this design, it is just worms all the way down!
The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance. He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him. But it is the universal weakness of mankind that what we are given to administer we presently imagine we own. -- H. G. Wells

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:11 pm

auriental wrote:
tarantino wrote:
auriental wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
That is pretty much the point I intended to make first time around.

Noticeboards are often simple transclusions from more basic components (and if you check the details most LUA code has a dummy template level included because the #invoke: logistics are too horrible to contemplate exposing to normal mortals.)

Result: cache issues re-emerge. And most of the caches are tagged to for refresh in 30 days anyway so eventually will reprocess anyway. Got to give that job queue something to do.

Hey this design, it is just worms all the way down!
This is not the same thing as refreshing your browser, that's why I provided a link to the page on it. It apparently actually purges the server where the page is stored to clear the bug.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

auriental
Contributor

Unread post by auriental » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
This is not the same thing as refreshing your browser, that's why I provided a link to the page on it. It apparently actually purges the server where the page is stored to clear the bug.
Agreed. Cache at user end vs cache at server end. Not at all the same. Even I cannot figure out whether this response is ironic.

Didn't I already bring up the retry/restart/reinstall theme? If not perhaps now is the time to do so explicitly.
The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance. He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him. But it is the universal weakness of mankind that what we are given to administer we presently imagine we own. -- H. G. Wells

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri May 13, 2016 6:33 am

Why on earth am I getting notifications on the English Wikipedia for welcome messages from the Basque and Bavarian Wikipedias that were apparently posted on my respective talkpages years ago? I never went to those Wikipedias at all. Are all the Wikipedias going to be welcoming me and send me notification messages? :blink:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:55 pm

ABC, it's easy as... oh wait, this is the WMF that we're talking about.

Wikipedia:Village pump (technical)#Sorting in categories unreliable for a few days

:facepalm:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)