Breaking News Dashboard

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
rnu
Habitué
kołdry

Breaking News Dashboard

Unread post by rnu » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:30 pm

The WMF is working on a breaking news feature, because that is what Wikipedia really needs. :facepalm:
More information: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedi ... aking_news
Beta of the Dashboard: https://breakingnews-beta.enterprise.wikimedia.com/
Announcement: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... g_feedback.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Breaking News Dashboard

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:30 pm
The WMF is working on a breaking news feature, because that is what Wikipedia really needs. :facepalm:
More information: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedi ... aking_news
Beta of the Dashboard: https://breakingnews-beta.enterprise.wikimedia.com/
Announcement: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... g_feedback.
If it was combined with an absolute prohibition on breaking news in articles (lock and provide a link to the breaking news board) then some good could come of it.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:17 pm

wikimedia.com?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:28 pm

tarantino wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:17 pm
wikimedia.com?
Wikimedia Enterprise uses ".com". I assume it is because WE is a company/commercial product.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:38 pm

So let me see if I have this straight. Wiki Enterprise (part of the WMF that supplies an API to high-volume customers) wrote a dashboard that no one asked for, and wants volunteers to determine if things are breaking news or just a couple of editors hitting the same article close together?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:38 pm
So let me see if I have this straight. Wiki Enterprise (part of the WMF that supplies an API to high-volume customers) wrote a dashboard that no one asked for, and wants volunteers to determine if things are breaking news or just a couple of editors hitting the same article close together?
More terribleness from the We Make Failures engineering teams...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:45 pm
If it was combined with an absolute prohibition on breaking news in articles (lock and provide a link to the breaking news board) then some good could come of it.
Touché!

But what's the actual purpose? The official description seems quite vague:
- "allowing API users to easily identify this kind of content within their copy of the dataset"
- "The feature is created primarily for Enterprise API users and with community editors in mind."

Maybe it's for training AI bots? If so, is there a reason that the WMF would be coy about this?

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:09 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
No-one on Wikipedia asked for it. That doesn't necessarily mean that no-one asked for it. I don't know why commercial users of the API would want it, but that may just be my lack of imagination when it comes to monetizing other people's work.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:59 pm

rnu wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:09 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
No-one on Wikipedia asked for it. That doesn't necessarily mean that no-one asked for it. I don't know why commercial users of the API would want it, but that may just be my lack of imagination when it comes to monetizing other people's work.
The company or companies who pay for high-volume API access are more than capable of writing this kind of thing themselves. I would bet money that no one paying for the API access asked for this.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:35 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:59 pm
rnu wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:09 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
The company or companies who pay for high-volume API access are more than capable of writing this kind of thing themselves. I would bet money that no one paying for the API access asked for this.
When you're integrating to an API like this, you want the thinnest wrapper possible to get the job done.

There's no way any commercial company wants an opaque code module, maintained by the dingdongs at the WMF, added between them and the dataset like this.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.