AI moderation

We examine the less than successful stories of the Wikimedia Foundation to create and use technology. The poster boy for this forum is Visual Editor.
Lightbreather
Resurrected
kołdry

AI moderation

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:48 pm

Hubby and I stream tech shows on the weekends. This morning on Tech News Weekly #301 (twit.tv) one topic was AI moderation of Call of Duty. A beta version was rolled out this past week. It listens to *voice* chat, but it made me wonder about using such a tool on Wikipedia text talk. I've found quite a few discussions here about ChatGPT, but not about AI moderation. There are plenty of articles on the subject, which I'm reading right now. Reading your thoughts on this could be... Interesting.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... l-of-duty/

https://www.pcgamer.com/call-of-duty-en ... ing-today/

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/30/2385 ... moderation

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Re: AI moderation

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:25 pm

My thoughts:

(a) Won't work for long with Call of Duty, if it works at all (the false positive rate may be too high to make it tolerable). People will figure out ways around it. It may even make things worse, since they'll see beating the AI as a challenge...

(b) Not applicable to Wikipedia, since the only reason they need to use fancy AI in Call of Duty is for voice recognition. The equivalent for Wikipedia would be a 'bad word text detector', which is much simpler. Which won't work in the Wikipedia environment, since bad words are necessary: how can you discuss edits to Fuck (T-H-L) without getting bot-slapped? Plus, the 'community' will scream blue murder (and
WP:NOTCENSORED
(T-H-L)) if anyone suggests it.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:35 pm

DeTox II, son of DeTox!

Good times...
Last edited by Vigilant on Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:36 pm

As I understand, Cluebot already uses machine learning anyway, and has done so for quite a while.

SamX
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SamX

Unread post by SamX » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:40 pm

I could see AI being used to semi-automate copyright cleanup and new page patrol sometime in the future, but it's a huge can of worms and I'm sure it'd be very controversial.
This post is not an endorsement of Elon Musk.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:44 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:36 pm
As I understand, Cluebot already uses machine learning anyway, and has done so for quite a while.
Isn't Cluebot only used in article space?

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:44 pm

Since WP is not original thought nor original content creation, any use of AI is fair game to me. Gnoming stuff and source formatting could be easier to make and give certain people more free time who probably need it.

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:55 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:44 pm
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:36 pm
Isn't Cluebot only used in article space?
Ooooh, I missed that the proposal was for talk space. I was going to point out that the WMF is working on an "automoderator" tool to detect and revert bad edits (similar to what Cluebot is doing, but with multilanguage support); it is also intended for mainspace, though.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:57 pm

As regards WIkipedia discussions, this is a fairly well-trodden area of research called "sentiment analysis". It gets talked about a lot in relation to moderating comments and discussions. Anyone who is familiar with humans will quickly see that having Clippy pop up to ask if you are angry will only make most people more angry. I think it is used behind the scenes to flag comments for moderation in some places but I'm not aware of anywhere it is used to directly interact with commenters. Let me know if you find one (not just a "bad words' filter).

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:01 pm

I am currently working on conversation tokenization and value for AI participation and listening. The concept is something like this (a few things not included as I hope to patent them):

Conversations have these parts: Participants, POV, Standard elements, Tone, Sentiment, Content, Relative Status, and Goals
  • Participants are the people talking and in some cases, those listening with non-verbal responses
  • POV is point-of-view strictly defined as directly involved (speaking to each other) and indirectly involved (listening or mentioned)
  • Standard elements are conversation particles such as greetings, pro forma inquiries, expletives, endearments, interrogatives
  • Tone is aural frequency and volume
  • Sentiment is an identifiable emotion or purpose
  • Content is information transmitted in the furtherance of a goal
  • Relative Status can be determined by standard cues or by learning
  • Goals are identified and implied social value interaction objectives
A symbolic language can be created by tokenizing some parts by combination and alignment.

These tokens and content can be directly analyzed.

Actions can be taken in response, or synthetic responses generated, using a database and a learning algorithm.

A system like this could likely perform moderation.

I suspect everyone would dislike the results, but they would be fair.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:34 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:01 pm
Results being fair is the best way to get people on Wikipedia to scream bloody murder.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:41 pm

A research project at Cornell has created a tool called ConvoWizard that evaluates discussions for signs of tension and monitors comments as they are written for signs that they might increase tensions.(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Researc ... versations) The testing phase ended recently, although those who registered for it can continue to use it. In my experience it showed some false positives, e.g. when you explain at RS why a source is completely unusable or when you discuss vandal behavior. Nevertheless it's an interesting approach, but I guess that the people who would really need it won't sign up for something like this. I would definitely not use it to automate moderation, but I think it could be a valuable tool to assist moderation by flagging things that might need attention.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:05 pm

I wonder if anyone is designing a tool to detect and tag sealioning.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 pm

Zoloft wrote:
I am currently working on conversation tokenization and value for AI participation and listening. The concept is something like this (a few things not included as I hope to patent them):
“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal their bread.”: Anatole France

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:53 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:25 pm
My thoughts:

(a) Won't work for long with Call of Duty, if it works at all (the false positive rate may be too high to make it tolerable). People will figure out ways around it. It may even make things worse, since they'll see beating the AI as a challenge...

(b) Not applicable to Wikipedia, since the only reason they need to use fancy AI in Call of Duty is for voice recognition. The equivalent for Wikipedia would be a 'bad word text detector', which is much simpler. Which won't work in the Wikipedia environment, since bad words are necessary: how can you discuss edits to Fuck (T-H-L) without getting bot-slapped? Plus, the 'community' will scream blue murder (and
WP:NOTCENSORED
(T-H-L)) if anyone suggests it.
I acknowledged in my original that although the Call of Duty moderation will analyze voice, the WP AI moderator would look at text. But it would be about so much more than "bad words". You don't need AI to screen for those. See Zoloft's post.

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:12 am

Zoloft wrote:

Conversations have these parts: Participants, POV, Standard elements, Tone, Sentiment, Content, Relative Status, and Goals...

... A system like this could likely perform moderation.

I think you're thinking like I'm thinking - though I don't have the skills to break it down into as much detail as you have. But it does seem someone(s) with the right cred could make such a thing. For starters, I was thinking about the considerations discussed in WP:PERSONAL.

And it wouldn't have to take any action beyond flagging aggressive language (not just four-letter words).

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:32 am

Lightbreather wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:12 am
Zoloft wrote:

Conversations have these parts: Participants, POV, Standard elements, Tone, Sentiment, Content, Relative Status, and Goals...

I think you're thinking like I'm thinking - though I don't have the skills to break it down into as much detail as you have. But it does seem someone(s) with the right cred could make such a thing. For starters, I was thinking about the considerations discussed in WP:PERSONAL.

And it wouldn't have to take any action beyond flagging aggressive language (not just four-letter words).
One of the biggest issues I have right now is sarcasm. The bot literally can't detect it. I consider sarcasm-based hostility not important at the moment.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:47 am

Lightbreather wrote:

This is definitely doable. And there are already machine learning tools available that could be used. E.g. the Cornell team behind ConvoWizard has open-sourced their model and the training data is also publicly accessible. Someone with the necessary experience in Python programming could certainly create an admin tool that flags potentially abusive language. Or someone could write one from scratch. The thing that requires the most amount of effort really is the creation of training data, i.e. text snippets that are manually labelled as either abusive or not abusive (or on a grading scale). Given that such data is available there are no insurmountable obstacles.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:49 am

Zoloft wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:32 am
Lightbreather wrote:
Zoloft wrote:

One of the biggest issues I have right now is sarcasm. The bot literally can't detect it. I consider sarcasm-based hostility not important at the moment.
Really?!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:56 am

Zoloft wrote:
Well, it's not like that's a big problem.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:07 am

rnu wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:56 am
Zoloft wrote:
Well, it's not like that's a big problem.
*bot twitches*

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:48 am

This is probably as good a time as any to point out that I've been an AI automation construct for the past year-and-a-half or so, though the real Somey/Jake does still occasionally pop in to correct my increasingly-rare misspellings and to needlessly insert the word "anyway" at the beginnings of penultimate paragraphs.

Some of you might have noticed that my jokes have gotten significantly funnier during this period of time, so I'm a little surprised that nobody has asked about this...?

We're also due for a PHP/phpBB software upgrade soon, so hopefully we'll get my excessive em-dash usage bug fixed at the same time.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:15 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:48 am
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that I've been an AI automation construct for the past year-and-a-half or so, though the real Somey/Jake does still occasionally pop in to correct my increasingly-rare misspellings and to needlessly insert the word "anyway" at the beginnings of penultimate paragraphs.

Some of you might have noticed that my jokes have gotten significantly funnier during this period of time, so I'm a little surprised that nobody has asked about this...?

We're also due for a PHP/phpBB software upgrade soon, so hopefully we'll get my excessive em-dash usage bug fixed at the same time.
"Hey Jake, "sudo rm -rf /"...'

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:26 am

If you’re really trying to execute malicious code, you might try an escape character first. But I’d rather try to escalate my privileges.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:37 am

AI could probably do a better job than most humans (save a few extremely talented people who are members at this site) at identifying main accounts behind those throwaway sockpuppets that show up at AN/I to report this and that. Of course, AI would probably also hallucinate. But wouldn't it be fun to watch the arguments over that?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:47 am

GraafBot1.0 !

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:16 am

iii wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:37 am
AI could probably do a better job than most humans (save a few extremely talented people who are members at this site) at identifying main accounts behind those throwaway sockpuppets that show up at AN/I to report this and that. Of course, AI would probably also hallucinate. But wouldn't it be fun to watch the arguments over that?
There is a checkuser-only tool that does basically exactly this, but if anybody's actually used it recently, they aren't telling. I remember it being barely involved in the Eostrix case?

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:42 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:26 am
If you’re really trying to execute malicious code, you might try an escape character first. But I’d rather try to escalate my privileges.
An escape character? Is this like when Melville's character Ishmael bobs to the surface of wreck of the Pequod on Queequeg's coffin, and quotes the three instances in the Book of Job (T-H-L) of "and I only am escaped alone to tell thee"?
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:18 pm

What about an AbdBot?

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:40 pm

casualdejekyll wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:16 am
iii wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:37 am
There is a checkuser-only tool that does basically exactly this, but if anybody's actually used it recently, they aren't telling. I remember it being barely involved in the Eostrix case?
I can't remember what the tool is called and I am not active as a CU, but I did get the impression that it produced too many false positives to be practical.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:41 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:18 pm
What about an AbdBot?
I mean, chatbots produce copious amounts of absolute doggerel devoid of any basis in reality, so I'd say we have that already.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:02 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:41 pm
copious amounts of absolute doggerel devoid of any basis in reality
I trust arbitrators to identify their area of expertise :evilgrin:
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:49 am

Vigilant wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:18 pm
What about an AbdBot?
Ishmael' s mention of the padlocks on the sharks on swimming around the wreck of the Pequod is quite possibly a reference to when the Queen of the Night puts a lock on Papageno's mouth to stop him lying about, well, various stuff.

As for AhabBOT - spoiler alert - everyone dies, except Ish and the fish.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

SarekOfVulcan
Critic
Wikipedia User: SarekOfVulcan
Wikipedia Review Member: SarekOfVulcan

Unread post by SarekOfVulcan » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:54 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that I've been an AI automation construct for the past year-and-a-half or so....
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that this joke dates back to the 80s at least. :) If I can find a source besides my own memory, I'll post one. :)

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:43 pm

SarekOfVulcan wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:54 pm
Midsize Jake wrote:
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that I've been an AI automation construct for the past year-and-a-half or so....
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that this joke dates back to the 80s at least. :) If I can find a source besides my own memory, I'll post one. :)
"Lame jokes" is one of Jake's major hobbies, right up there with "calling everyone Mr." and "being the guy with a red name on Wikipediocracy".

I say this with love, of course

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:45 pm

SarekOfVulcan wrote:
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that this joke dates back to the 80s at least.
That's the whole point, isn't it? Jokes "generated" by AI constructs are all stolen and/or "closely paraphrased" from already-existing jokes, and the original humorist gets no credit. So this just proves that I'm an AI construct, see? (Also, the fact that I use the term "AI construct" instead of just "AI." Only an AI construct would do that.)

owl be it
Regular
Actual Name: 12345
Nom de plume: 4

Unread post by owl be it » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:17 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:45 pm
SarekOfVulcan wrote:
This is probably as good a time as any to point out that this joke dates back to the 80s at least.
That's the whole point, isn't it? Jokes "generated" by AI constructs are all stolen and/or "closely paraphrased" from already-existing jokes, and the original humorist gets no credit. So this just proves that I'm an AI construct, see? (Also, the fact that I use the term "AI construct" instead of just "AI." Only an AI construct would do that.)
Humans only ever tell jokes that they made up on their own, so this makes sense.
The artist formerly known as Yeet Bae...