Beeblebrox
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Chris Troutman blocked for sexism

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:04 am

Zoloft wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:35 am
I removed a lot of off-topic and toxic posts.

If anyone not banned would like any of their removed post content sent to them for reuse, PM me.

Thanks!
you're doing the Lord's work
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am

Zoloft wrote:

If anyone not banned would like any of their removed post content sent to them for reuse, PM me.

Thanks!
:applause:

Now I'm gonna have to check what the original topic was. Something about sexism, I think? :evilgrin:
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am
Zoloft wrote:

Thanks!

Now I'm gonna have to check what the original topic was. Something about sexism, I think? :evilgrin:
According to Kraken at sucks, it was
face ripping eye gouging ball cutting harassment. And when it didn't work, I didn't rise to it, why he silenced me. Cancelled me.
:hmmm:
This is of course the mating call of the classic incel ring-tailed booby (T-H-L). But for what it is worth, Crow, I apologize for guessing that you would be insecure about your education.
:hmmm:
I will now resume standard civility protocol, pausing only to point out that not only am I not American, I am a "they" not a "she", and I've told you that before. So. Sorry not sorry that this makes you uncomfortable. I almost registered at sucks to demonstrate some actual faceripping, but nah. Not sure me shots are up to date.

En avant.

On the actual topic, as opposed to what Kraken thought it was, is there any doubt there is a problem? Bilateral, mind you. I think there is truth to people being afraid to criticize the Ladies who Lunch. I say this however as someone currently researching editor renaming procedures so I have some other thoughts on the subject as well. Oh well?

(edit for typo fix)
Last edited by Elinruby on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:44 am
"Who on WP decides what is sexist," actually. If it was just "sexism" in general, this would probably be the most active subforum on the whole website.

Anyway... Mr. Troutman's block expired a few hours ago and he's back doing mundane, non-confrontational editing tasks, so I guess if there's any lingering animosity he's decided to keep it to himself for the time being.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:06 pm

I don't imagine he would have any tbh. He is many things but not stupid. He knew when he was posting it he would rile some people up. I imagine the block just reinforced his sense of superiority.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm

It appears Mr. Troutman is doubling down upon the expiration of his block. The old ANI thread was unarchived and re-opened to adress this.

Aaaaand fuck it, I indeffed him. Doubling down on the sexism is not really compatible with a collaborative project.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm
It appears Mr. Troutman is doubling down upon the expiration of his block. The old ANI thread was unarchived and re-opened to adress this.

Aaaaand fuck it, I indeffed him. Doubling down on the sexism is not really compatible with a collaborative project.

Just when I thought he was smart enough to know when to shut up.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm

rnu wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm
Just when I thought he was smart enough to know when to shut up.
It's possible that after having a week off and then just performing mundane tasks for a couple of days, he realized it was all a huge bore and he'd rather just punt the whole Wikipedia thing completely — but having also been completely radicalized, he had to go out in a "blaze of glory"/suicide-by-cop type of scenario, just to show 'em.

I guess I can't really blame him, though of course it's probably his fault he got radicalized in the first place. :dubious:

TheMintyMan
Contributor

Unread post by TheMintyMan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm

this sounds like double jeopardy at this point. Are we punishing editors for their opinions now too? I thought ANI was not supposed to be punative
The subject should be allowed to continue and if they err again, a new ANI should be opened with the copious context from here. Tonymetz 💬 20:40, 29 April 2024 (UTC)
Sigh.

orangepi
Gregarious
Wikipedia User:

Unread post by orangepi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:58 pm

Good block. His "I'm not being sexist, I'm just being passive-aggressive" comments needed to end.

EDIT TO ADD:
All you did was prevent me from keeping WP:BDC up to date and reverting vandalism for a week. A lot of good that did anyone. Chris Troutman (talk) 20:00, 29 April 2024 (UTC)
WP:BDC is Wikipedia:Birthday Committee (T-H-L), "an unofficial Wikipedia group that wishes Happy Birthday to members found in the listings at List of Wikimedians by birthday, Wikipedia:Birthday Committee/Calendar, Category:Current Wikipedia birthdays, and through their talk pages".

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:08 pm

Well, technically what he said this time was...
Mr. Troutman wrote:...I made a truthful comment to a WMF employee (which I stand by) and I got blocked for offending the political beliefs of a particular admin, who was egged on by others of the same persuasion.
He might think the "truthful comment" was simply his assertion that the WMF's Comms Director, Lauren Dickinson, has a tendency to avoid confrontation — not that she avoids confrontation because she's female and that it would therefore be better to hire a man to do her job instead, which is what people were actually (and rightfully) upset about. (People who have been radicalized often fail to appreciate that the falsity of their arguments is usually based in the premises of those arguments, and that the false conclusions are simply the inevitable result of the false premises, blah blah blah.)

I'm not going to say that blocking him this time was a mistake, but there's a decent chance this will be picked up on by the right-wing media as evidence of "runaway wokeism," which will unfortunately play directly into the WMF's hands by taking attention away from the original point of the dispute — namely the WMF's financial issues (if not actual corruption) and lack of transparency about them.

We should probably start looking into those financial issues more seriously here, if only to help get things "back on track," so to speak.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 pm

It isn't lost on me that we probably have some pretty similar opinions when it comes to certain aspects of the WMF, and also the context in which he made those remarks was regarding a discussion about Valjean, whom I've had very negative interactions with myself, but none of that changes the underlying reasons for the block. The more I read the previous threads about them them more obvious it is that this was long overdue.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:

Thank you. Good block. He didn't seem to see that true as his statements about the WMF may be, they were not themselves the issue, which was framing it terms of the biology of the person he was speaking to.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:52 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:

Thank you. Good block. He didn't seem to see that true as his statements about the WMF may be, they were not themselves the issue, which was framing it terms of the biology of the person he was speaking to.
He certainly seemed to understand where he went wrong last week:
I agree with you that my suppositions about gendered differences confused the real point I made in October of last year, which is about competence. It doesn't matter why I think LDickinson is incompetent and I shouldn't have posited my thinking on the subject. While I often condemn many editors for their incompetence, I don't usually surmise why unless it derives from conflict of interest. Clearly I was wrong to needlessly surmise here, and I'm going to halt doing that ever again on these servers, and you are right to question my judgement.
That's almost an apology and seems very insightful and self-reflective, and yet today he says it was a factual statement and he stands behind it.

Which is it?

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:17 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

I agree with you that my suppositions about gendered differences confused the real point I made in October of last year, which is about competence. It doesn't matter why I think LDickinson is incompetent and I shouldn't have posited my thinking on the subject. While I often condemn many editors for their incompetence, I don't usually surmise why unless it derives from conflict of interest. Clearly I was wrong to needlessly surmise here, and I'm going to halt doing that ever again on these servers, and you are right to question my judgement.
That's almost an apology and seems very insightful and self-reflective, and yet today he says it was a factual statement and he stands behind it.

Which is it?
Some prejudices run deep. I can't get my Polish neighbour to stop saying "raghead" even when he is sitting in the local diner, which is owned by a man who wears a turban, even as he is eating food made by a cook who is probably not Sikh, since he doesn't wear a turban, but does prefer Punjabi music to the country-western and hard rock favored by the other employees.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

Which is it?
I hope you realize that is a false dichotomy.

greenday61892
Critic
Wikipedia User: Greenday61892

Unread post by greenday61892 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:10 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

Which is it?
I wouldn't say it's even "almost" an apology, it doesn't feel like an apology at all. It feels more like "I'll not say out loud it so it's quieter but I'm still gonna act on my bigotry"

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:41 pm

greenday61892 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:10 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Elinruby wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:

Which is it?
I wouldn't say it's even "almost" an apology, it doesn't feel like an apology at all. It feels more like "I'll not say out loud it so it's quieter but I'm still gonna act on my bigotry"
What “bigotry” is he acting on? A preference for one genderlect, by the look of it.