6 millionth article

Discussions about Sexism at Wikipedia
Jans Hammer
Gregarious
kołdry

6 millionth article

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm

So the 6m article happens to be a well written article by a woman about a woman:

link

Chris Troutman of Signpost asks if this was "political". Immediately repudiated by the finder of the 6m article.
link

Thoughts?

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Re: 6 millionth article

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 am

Jans Hammer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm
So the 6m article happens to be a well written article by a woman about a woman:

link

Chris Troutman of Signpost asks if this was "political". Immediately repudiated by the finder of the 6m article.
link

Thoughts?
Sheer luck if the six millionth article is even half decent. But no doubt it'll soon turn into the gray goo that almost all of the other 5,999,999 articles already have.

Having taken the trouble to read the article, it's very poorly written, so an appropriate flagship for a project that has no concept of, or regard for, quality.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:03 am
Having taken the trouble to read the article, it's very poorly written, so an appropriate flagship for a project that has no concept of, or regard for, quality.
Maria Elise Turner Lauder (T-H-L)

User:Rosiestep (T-C-L) is a co-founder of the Women in Red, so presumably this article is part of that effort, which might explain why they've chosen it — the specific number is fuzzy enough (due to deletions and page-moves) that they probably had a choice of at least two or three dozen that they could have named as the 6 millionth article.

But as for how well-written it is, to me it's a good example the now well-established WiR style that puts the need to establish notability over all other priorities, one of which would be clear, smoothly-flowing prose. So I wouldn't say it's poorly written; it's just not well-written in the conventional sense, since the WiR style tends to be highly utilitarian and "matter-of-fact." It nearly always translates into a series of essentialist statements that are all directly cited and organized under a fairly standard structural blueprint, and very little else. But it isn't necessarily bad, especially if the sources being cited are worth anything (and also given that one is interested in the subject to begin with).

At least there are no glaring spelling or grammatical errors — I might make a few punctuation adjustments, but those problems are barely noticeable to the average reader.

Beyond that, I guess we could always argue as to whether or not the people writing these articles could, or would, do a better job of it if they didn't feel the constraint of having to prioritize notability-establishment. I'd assume they would, personally, but that's just me.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 am
At least there are no glaring spelling or grammatical errors — I might make a few punctuation adjustments, but those problems are barely noticeable to the average reader.
Really? So you don't see any problem with "... and the Queen presented Lauder her royal portrait and autograph"?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 am
Really? So you don't see any problem with "... and the Queen presented Lauder her royal portrait and autograph"?
Sure I do, and I would agree that the word "with" should be added, but it isn't glaring because it's so easy to correctly assume who the determining pronoun ("her") refers to.

IMO that's a case where the writer is probably making a minor error for the sake of avoiding the passive voice — it would be clearer to write "Lauder was presented with the Queen's royal portrait and autograph," but unfortunately people are taught to avoid such constructions. (It's also possible that this is closer to what the source says, perhaps to emphasize that the Queen made the presentation personally.)

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 am
Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 am
Sure I do, and I would agree that the word "with" should be added, but it isn't glaring because it's so easy to correctly assume who the determining pronoun ("her") refers to.

IMO that's a case where the writer is probably making a minor error for the sake of avoiding the passive voice — it would be clearer to write "Lauder was presented with the Queen's royal portrait and autograph," but unfortunately people are taught to avoid such constructions. (It's also possible that this is closer to what the source says, perhaps to emphasize that the Queen made the presentation personally.)
Glaring =/= Easy to correct.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am

As noted in the linked discussion, that may not actually be the 6 millionth article. The actual 6 millionth article was created 18:59 UTC January 23, 2020. A check at that timestep shows 15 actual articles created at the moment. Since the software apparently doesn't tell you exactly which one it was, there was a discussion among editors here to "decide."

Of the Rosiestep article, Wake Up Drink says "I found it to be one of the five potential candidates in my review... and all things considered it would look good for the project (it's decently sourced and lengthy), make the Foundation happy, make a good media story, and potentially cause more women to join the project. So, from where I'm standing, I think Rosiestep got this one! — Coffee."

Captain Eek agrees "Not only do I find it very likely to have been the 6 millionth, within 3 articles by my count, I agree that it is the best sourced and written of the possibilities, and I think that its focus on an underrepresented Woman in Red, written by Rosiestep no less, makes it the perfect choice. CaptainEek "

arthur
Contributor

Unread post by arthur » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am

Hmm, 6 × 106, probably warrants a T-shirt or a DYK, or something.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 am
So write your unblock request / appeal to arbcom, get unblocked, and fix it. Chop, chop!

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:

link

link

Thoughts?
Some philosophers and theological doctrines say that nothing is by accident. Well, those are "just" theories probably for most wikipedians, so let's approach this from the perspective of the academically canon probability theory.

So the 6 millionth article is written by the well-known Rosiestep... co-founder of Women In Red... when the Foundation's primary message is addressing the gender gap. As an extra Maria Elise Turner Lauder (T-H-L) was a philanthropist. Very good choice, I would say.

The chance of this happening by accident is tiny, but why should it happen by accident? It's a milestone and Wikipedia has every right to paint that milestone with its own colors, not some random graffiti. If I were one of the operators who organized this, I would have done the same. The choice of the 6 millionth article matters.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Osborne wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:

link

link

Thoughts?
Some philosophers and theological doctrines say that nothing is by accident. Well, those are "just" theories probably for most wikipedians, so let's approach this from the perspective of the academically canon probability theory.

So the 6 millionth article is written by the well-known Rosiestep... co-founder of Women In Red... when the Foundation's primary message is addressing the gender gap. As an extra Maria Elise Turner Lauder (T-H-L) was a philanthropist. Very good choice, I would say.

The chance of this happening by accident is tiny, but why should it happen by accident? It's a milestone and Wikipedia has every right to paint that milestone with its own colors, not some random graffiti. If I were one of the operators who organized this, I would have done the same. The choice of the 6 millionth article matters.
Note in my comment above that it may not be the actual 6 millionth article. It was determined by editors at that talk page to make this one officially the 6 millionth for reasons, and note that other articles were created at the same time.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 pm

My favourite quote from the Signpost discussion is "Casliber spent the hours leading up to it doing nothing but writing bunches of new articles on sea snakes to get the counter up to 6 million. Esoteric yes, but it's helping to build an encyclopedia." Casliber is, as admins go, sane and a good content contributor. But what on Earth was the hurry in getting to 6,000,000?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:42 pm
My favourite quote from the Signpost discussion is "Casliber spent the hours leading up to it doing nothing but writing bunches of new articles on sea snakes to get the counter up to 6 million. Esoteric yes, but it's helping to build an encyclopedia." Casliber is, as admins go, sane and a good content contributor. But what on Earth was the hurry in getting to 6,000,000?
IIRC, I think he claimed the 5m article creation.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:06 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:23 am
So write your unblock request / appeal to arbcom, get unblocked, and fix it. Chop, chop!
You're having a laugh!

I never have, and I never will, appeal against any block. But ArbCom could always apologise, and I might consider going back.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:46 pm
Poetlister wrote:
IIRC, I think he claimed the 5m article creation.
And there's your answer. Fame, of a sort.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:27 pm

MrErnie wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 am
Captain Eek agrees "Not only do I find it very likely to have been the 6 millionth, within 3 articles by my count, I agree that it is the best sourced and written of the possibilities, and I think that its focus on an underrepresented Woman in Red, written by Rosiestep no less, makes it the perfect choice. CaptainEek "
It would have been better had it not been full of plagiarism, but in that respect it probably makes a fitting tribute to the dishonest waste of effort that is Wikipedia.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:23 pm
I never have, and I never will, appeal against any block. But ArbCom could always apologise, and I might consider going back.
I've heard that appeal from - you might remember - Kumioko. Ask him, how it's working out for him :blink:
Poetlister wrote:
But what on Earth was the hurry in getting to 6,000,000?
Yeah, I've had the same thought.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:51 pm

Osborne wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
I've heard that appeal from - you might remember - Kumioko. Ask him, how it's working out for him :blink:
Poetlister wrote:
But what on Earth was the hurry in getting to 6,000,000?
Yeah, I've had the same thought.
Imminent Signpost publication deadline?

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:49 pm

Osborne wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:41 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
That wasn't an appeal.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 pm

So yeah, bottom line, political as hell and borderline shady.
link

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:22 pm

Osborne wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:17 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:

link

link

Thoughts?

It’s just as much an accident as is every Wikipedia contest and award. Like Wikipedian of the Year.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Wikipedia Crosses Major Milestone, Now Has Over 6 Million Articles in English
Following the English version, Wikipedia has about 2.3 million articles in German and 2.1 million articles in French.
News18.com
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche