Corinna Löckenhoff

Discussions about Sexism at Wikipedia
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Corinna Löckenhoff

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Corinna Löckenhoff is an associate professor of something at some university somewhere. Apparently that was enough for an editor (Biografer (T-C-L)) to make an article about her. But it had some problems, so she naively tried to fix it herself. Her edits were reverted and she was blocked for impersonating a real person. After she confirmed her identity and was unblocked, she wrote this on the article's talk page:
Some proposed changes

Someone created this wikipedia site about me without my knowledge. I'm just a random academic, not a public figure, and don't really need a wikipedia page. The problem is, the page is wrong. It's misrepresenting my affiliations, it's misrepresenting my work, it has typos and looks highly unprofessional. I'm currently up for promotion and when I noticed the faulty page I tried to fix it immediately so nobody who is supposed to review me gets the wrong impression.

None of the changes I made are controversial in any way - they just make sure that my affiliations are correct, my work is described correctly, and readers are pointed to original sources describing my work (instead of excerpts from news articles that are glossing over key details). I provided cites for all the info.

When I finally got it fixed (took me a couple of hours since I don't speak "Wikipedia") I realized that soon thereafter Drm310 undid my edits Could someone please to one of the following (1) completely delete the page (I really don't need one, my departmental website is all the professional representation I need) (2) turn it to a stub that reads "Corinna Löckenhoff is an associate professor of Human Development at Cornell University and Gerontology in Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and a Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America.[1]" it should have my Orcid ID at the bottom along with a link to my google scholar site. (3) let my original edits stand

Thanks in advance.

Loeckenhoff (talk) 15:20, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
Result?
Unable to implement

Requests to delete an article are handled through articles for deletion.
Requests to change content in an article are handled in the form of "Change x to y using z".

Kindly open a new edit request at your earliest convenience when ready to proceed.
Regards, Spintendo 02:41, 11 January 2020 (UTC)
So someone put it up for deletion. The deletion discussion is amazing. I'll just give you one sample:
The article subject has requested the page be deleted - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cori ... B6ckenhoff

Policy on deletion requests from subjects is at WP:BLPREQUESTDELETE: "Discussions concerning biographical articles of relatively unknown, non-public figures, where the subject has requested deletion and there is no rough consensus, may be closed as delete."

The subject arguably notes that she is not notable in Wikipedia terms. I will AGF and support her view in this with this AfD. --Tagishsimon (talk) 03:48, 11 January 2020 (UTC)

The subject is notable per WP:Academics #3. The subject can say whatever. If this article will be deleted, I will assume that you are no longer a Wikipedian and will recreate it per above guideline. ;)--Biografer (talk) 03:56, 11 January 2020 (UTC)
Ok, two samples:
The thing is, is that this article was to no-ones attention until the subject peeped out of nowhere and now we need to abide by her wishes. If she was not notable at the time of the writing, then maybe she should have been deleted by an admin before this debate. As it stands, we have subject that is deemed notable by @David Eppstein: and @Ipigott: (and me, as creator), and we have like three to four people here who apparently felt sorry for the subject (or maybe fell in love with her, because geez, a lady coming to WP makes us men blush). :) Just my theory, don't take it personally.--Biografer (talk) 21:29, 11 January 2020 (UTC)

Katie
Gregarious

Re: Corinna Löckenhoff

Unread post by Katie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:57 pm

Biografer (T-C-L) is a sock of Mishae (T-C-L), who is an anti-Semitic and racist person who defended Franzboas (T-C-L), who also was an anti-Semite and racist, and was blocked for asking if Ironholds (T-C-L) being upset that Mishae was saying that being blocked was like what the Nazis did was because he was "part Jewish". He also made this horribly offensive edit before his talk page access was finally cut off in 2017 (he was blocked in 2015): link. It's clear he's not changed his ways at all.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:44 am

Katie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:57 pm
Biografer (T-C-L) is a sock of Mishae (T-C-L)...
Yup. Looks that way.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:07 am

Anybody from en.wp going to confront this guy?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 am

What terrible people.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm

AGF, maybe he was trying to reduce the gender gap in academics with articles. :D But I can't see that she passws WP:PROF. She's a relatively junior academic.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 am

Katie wrote:
Biografer (T-C-L) is a sock of Mishae (T-C-L), who is an anti-Semitic and racist person who defended Franzboas (T-C-L), who also was an anti-Semite and racist, and was blocked for asking if Ironholds (T-C-L) being upset that Mishae was saying that being blocked was like what the Nazis did was because he was "part Jewish". He also made this horribly offensive edit before his talk page access was finally cut off in 2017 (he was blocked in 2015): link. It's clear he's not changed his ways at all.
Biografer has been blocked as a sock of Mishae.

DexterPointy
Critic
Wikipedia User: DexterPointy

Unread post by DexterPointy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:34 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:00 am
Katie wrote:
Biografer has been blocked as a sock of Mishae.
I feel kind of sorry for User:Indignant Flamingo, who created the lengthy SPI, because Biografer immediately (= 41 minutes after) posts comments at the SPI, saying "... I wanted to write articles here, sockpuppet or not. ... I didn't wanted to be a sockpuppet, but I literarily had no choice, ... I admit to sockpuppetry and if you will allow me to have one of the accounts and continue editing here, I will be more then happy." :facepalm:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 am

Maybe next time he can be less of a cockholster.

Reminds me a lot of GWickwire.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 am

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 am

Refresh my aging brain: who was Wickwire the sock of?

tim

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 am
Vigilant wrote:

tim
GWickwire was the original account.
He got a lot of enjoyment out of fucking with people who didn't understand wikipedia and came there to fix broken articles about them and their businesses.

He got the full Eye of Sauron and eventually went away to register Charmlet and who knows what other socks.

Icewhiz
Banned
Wikipedia User: Icewhiz

Unread post by Icewhiz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:03 pm
AGF, maybe he was trying to reduce the gender gap in academics with articles. :D But I can't see that she passws WP:PROF. She's a relatively junior academic.
Her google-scholar profile lists a h-index of 33 - that clearly pass NPROF#1. She might also pass NPROF#3. She's very clearly notable (regardless of her gender - and yes - female academics have a significantly lower threshold for retention at AfD - but these numbers would be a clear pass for a male) under the current NPROF guideline (which is one of the few guidelines that provides an alternative to GNG).

If this weren't subject requested, this wouldn't have been a slam dunk keep. Sad it takes an AfD to deal with this (and not a simple request or BLP/n post).

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:59 am
Vigilant wrote:

tim
GWickwire (T-C-L) was the original account.
He got a lot of enjoyment out of fucking with people who didn't understand wikipedia and came there to fix broken articles about them and their businesses.

He got the full Eye of Sauron and eventually went away to register Charmlet (T-C-L) and who knows what other socks.
Administrator Nick (T-C-L)blocked me after I had written Gwickwire (T-C-L) with a space and alternative capitalization, similar to your "GWickwire" naturally enough.
Nick was usually level-headed, so I may have done something besides writing his Gwickwire the wrong way.

(Wormthatturned (T-C-L) once complained that I wrote his name with camel case WormThatTurned.
Math guy did not liked having "Guy" capitalized.
Different strokes for different folks.)

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2073&p=38209&hilit=Gwickwire%2C+Kiefer#p38225
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

DexterPointy
Critic

Unread post by DexterPointy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 pm

off-topic:
Moral Hazard wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm
... Wormthatturned (T-C-L) once complained that I wrote his name with camel case WormThatTurned. ...
Are you sure you about that? : It doesn't make sense, looking at User:Worm That Turned (there is no "Wormthatturned"; the Ts are capitals in all variations).

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

DexterPointy wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:04 pm
Are you sure you about that?
Perhaps I omited the spaces or WTT had lower-case in his youth.
My use of camel-case (with no spacing) was incorrect.

When I claim infallibility, I become the Pope and I speak ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm

Prof. Loeckenhoff (T-C-L) has changed her mind about the article now that User:Biografer (T-C-L) has been blocked, and several of her (Löckenhoff's) changes, which had been reverted just prior to the AfD, restored (with a few alterations) by other users.

I don't like to appear self-serving, even on Wikipediocracy's behalf, but since this sort of positive outcome doesn't typically happen, I'm forced to conclude that this thread may have had a significant influence on this chain of events.

Of course, in the long term, whoever was operating the Biografer account will probably keep trying to get revenge for whatever perceived slight this may represent.

DexterPointy
Critic

Unread post by DexterPointy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:09 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm
... When I claim infallibility, I become the Pope and I speak ex cathedra on matters of faith and morals.
No. Simply claiming infallibility, is insufficient for becoming the Pope: Here's How to Become Pope, explained in just 5 minutes. :lol:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm
Prof. Loeckenhoff (T-C-L) has changed her mind about the article now that User:Biografer (T-C-L) has been blocked, and several of her (Löckenhoff's) changes, which had been reverted just prior to the AfD, restored (with a few alterations) by other users.

I don't like to appear self-serving, even on Wikipediocracy's behalf, but since this sort of positive outcome doesn't typically happen, I'm forced to conclude that this thread may have had a significant influence on this chain of events.

Of course, in the long term, whoever was operating the Biografer account will probably keep trying to get revenge for whatever perceived slight this may represent.
Qworty_II

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
The person behind the account is autistic and claims to have OCD. They will be back. I doubt they hold any grudge about Lockenhoff.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 am
Midsize Jake wrote:
The person behind the account is autistic and claims to have OCD. They will be back. I doubt they hold any grudge about Lockenhoff.
Maybe there will be no grudge about Professor Löckenhoff personally, but he will probably want to prove that he was right. I don't know how that might be manifested.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 am
The person behind the account is autistic and claims to have OCD.
Standard qualifications for a WMF community liaison.
Any bipolar disorder?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)