Wikipediocracy blog posts
Hersch
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Guidelines for submitting blog posts

Unread post by Hersch » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:55 pm

The Wikipediocracy blog needs a steady flow of new article submissions. Here are some guidelines which will assist you in preparing an article for submission:

1. Our audience is the world at large. Therefore, we want to avoid writing in an "insider" style, with lots of unexplained WikiJargon and insider references of the sort that might go over big at ANI.

2. Our objective is to give the layman an insight into the corruption and absurdity at WP -- not to use the blog as a vehicle for continuing a vendetta against the evil WP personality or personalities who blocked you/edited your favorite WP article.

3. Your article will be edited by some combination of the Wikipediocracy mods and trustees. If this is going to offend you, you probably shouldn't submit it. You can review the past 3 years of blog posts to get a sense of what the site management prefers, in terms of style and content.

4. If you make a non-negotiable demand that your article must be accompanied by, say, a series of images from "South Park," that will probably cause some friction and reduce the chances of publication.

5. The first steps in submitting an article: you may send me a PM, describing what you have in mind, and I will run it by the site management team. That's optional. The next step is to send a draft version in the form of a PM, with sources linked for any claims that may be challenged. The site management will discuss it and possibly request additional material or documentation. Be sure to mention what byline you prefer.

Thanks,
Hersch
Hersch has retired from the Wikipediocracy Blog
Please PM everything in Step 5 to me instead: Zoloft

Thank you, Hersch, for doing a great job.

Zoloft has now passed the torch to Midsize Jake
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Re: Guidelines for submitting blog posts

Unread post by JCM » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Hersch wrote: 5. The first steps in submitting an article: you may send me a PM, describing what you have in mind, and I will run it by the site management team.
OK, just in the interests of clarifying for the terminally befuddled, like me, wha's a PM? :confused:

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Under Hersh's post toward the left there's a little gray button that says "PM". It's self-explanatory from there ;).
This is not a signature.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:45 pm

PM is a private message.

I agree with the guidelines. WO's blog entries are much better than puerile rants.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Johnny Au wrote: WO's blog entries are much better than puerile rants.
Then write some blog posts.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:12 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Alright then.

I have plans to write about systemic bias on Wikipedia once I have the time.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Johnny Au wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Alright then.

Do you think you could free up some time by abstaining from editing Wikipedia for a week?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:31 pm

thekohser wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Alright then.

Do you think you could free up some time by abstaining from editing Wikipedia for a week?
I spend only ten minutes editing Wikipedia each day (and make ten edits each day as well, thanks to WPCleaner). I am very busy on other things in life.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Johnny Au wrote:I spend only ten minutes editing Wikipedia each day (and make ten edits each day as well, thanks to WPCleaner). I am very busy on other things in life.
Ten minutes a day, you say?

Today, you spent from UTC 3:17 to 3:30 (13 minutes) and 15:11 to 15:13 (2 minutes). That's at least 15 minutes. Two days ago, you were on for at least a half an hour. Cut that out for four days, and you'd have a Wikipediocracy blog post written, easy. Get your priorities straight, man.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 am

thekohser wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:I spend only ten minutes editing Wikipedia each day (and make ten edits each day as well, thanks to WPCleaner). I am very busy on other things in life.
Ten minutes a day, you say?

Today, you spent from UTC 3:17 to 3:30 (13 minutes) and 15:11 to 15:13 (2 minutes). That's at least 15 minutes. Two days ago, you were on for at least a half an hour. Cut that out for four days, and you'd have a Wikipediocracy blog post written, easy. Get your priorities straight, man.
I have PMed Hersch as part of the first step (the PM is below). Once I get the go-ahead, I will write the draft.
Johnny Au wrote:I have decided to write a blog entry on systemic bias. Read here: WP:Systemic bias (T-H-L) and here: Wikipedia:WikiProject_Countering_systemic_bias (T-H-L) and here: Wikipedia:WikiProject Countering Systemic Bias Open Tasks (T-H-L) for primers, along with WP:CRUFT (T-H-L).

I would write about how systemic bias, both in terms of underrepresented content and in overrepresented content.

Hersch
Retired

Unread post by Hersch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 am

Hersch wrote:The first steps in submitting an article: you may send me a PM, describing what you have in mind, and I will run it by the site management team. That's optional. The next step is to send a draft version in the form of a PM, with sources linked for any claims that may be challenged.
Please do not use "Google Drive".
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Hersch
Retired

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 am

Also, if you have launched a thread somewhere in which you are working on your blog post, don't assume that I am aware of it. Please send me a PM.
Malcolm X

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Maybe this post should be pinned to the top of this forum? :unsure:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:43 pm

The Joy wrote:Maybe this post should be pinned to the top of this forum? :unsure:
Done.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:12 pm

The first blog post that I authored is published: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6160

I find the guidelines very useful.

Ross McPherson
Gregarious

Unread post by Ross McPherson » Wed May 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I was looking at the Wikipedia article about this blog and the history page there records a big drop in rankings - ever since I signed up actually, about October 2014 (just a co-incidence, I hope!) It seems to me you need to broaden your appeal and not keep harping on about the same things. In other words, while Wikipedia should remain the main focus, you should be critiquing the internet more generally. You have a stable of gifted writers here with technological guruism oozing from their pores. Why not let them have a freer reign to express themselves? That way you should end up with a more attentive audience for your main mission - the salvaging/torpedoeing of Wikipedia. But who am I to give advice? I haven't helped with the ratings.
Thoroughly impartial

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 07, 2015 3:58 am

Ross McPherson wrote:I was looking at the Wikipedia article about this blog and the history page there records a big drop in rankings - ever since I signed up actually, about October 2014 (just a co-incidence, I hope!) It seems to me you need to broaden your appeal and not keep harping on about the same things. In other words, while Wikipedia should remain the main focus, you should be critiquing the internet more generally. You have a stable of gifted writers here with technological guruism oozing from their pores. Why not let them have a freer reign to express themselves? That way you should end up with a more attentive audience for your main mission - the salvaging/torpedoeing of Wikipedia. But who am I to give advice? I haven't helped with the ratings.
A few of us regulars installed Alexa on our browsers. That probably accounted for 25% of the "rankings", you know.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 07, 2015 4:26 am

thekohser wrote:
Ross McPherson wrote:I was looking at the Wikipedia article about this blog and the history page there records a big drop in rankings - ever since I signed up actually, about October 2014 (just a co-incidence, I hope!) It seems to me you need to broaden your appeal and not keep harping on about the same things. In other words, while Wikipedia should remain the main focus, you should be critiquing the internet more generally. You have a stable of gifted writers here with technological guruism oozing from their pores. Why not let them have a freer reign to express themselves? That way you should end up with a more attentive audience for your main mission - the salvaging/torpedoeing of Wikipedia. But who am I to give advice? I haven't helped with the ratings.
A few of us regulars installed Alexa on our browsers. That probably accounted for 25% of the "rankings", you know.
It is amazing how quickly the ratings climbed when four or five of us had the Alexa bar on our browser, and how quickly it faded when we stopped. Alexa also changed their ranking methods just before we went into a tailspin.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:07 am

Just reporting a problem when trying to comment on the Eric W Jepson post. I entered a name and email address and then it said something like "posting comment" but it didn't appear.

Is there a verification email that's lost in the ether perhaps?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:17 am

Mojito wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:07 am
Just reporting a problem when trying to comment on the Eric W Jepson post. I entered a name and email address and then it said something like "posting comment" but it didn't appear.

I checked, there is no comment in any sort of queue.

We've had a lot of throughput problems and throttling from our host recently. Refresh, try again, and PM me.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:34 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:17 am
Mojito wrote:

We've had a lot of throughput problems and throttling from our host recently. Refresh, try again, and PM me.
Still no joy, unfortunately. PM sent.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:47 pm

Mojito wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:34 pm
Zoloft wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:17 am
Mojito wrote:

Still no joy, unfortunately. PM sent.
It *was* stuck in an approval queue after all. Approved and deleted duplicates.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Mojito
Critic

Unread post by Mojito » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:31 am

Yep, all sorted now, thanks.

Do we think that the comments are still worthwhile? These days, the discussion in the thread is much more lively, so maybe it's better to point people towards that?

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:43 am

Mojito wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:31 am

Do we think that the comments are still worthwhile? These days, the discussion in the thread is much more lively, so maybe it's better to point people towards that?
One news site I visit (TechPowerUp.com) has a system where the comments under their articles are mirrored from the corresponding forum thread. It looks like an ordinary comment section, but clicking reply will direct you into the forum. The forum runs on Xenforo instead of phpBB like ours, but if something equivalent is available it would be nice. Here's an article with a lot of comments so you can see how it works.
Always improving...

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:58 am

Mojito wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:31 am

Not a bad idea, and guiding people to participate in the forum is valuable. I'll consult with the team.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone