Wikipediocracy blog posts
enwikibadscience
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:40 am

The Adversary wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
The Adversary wrote:Cwmhiraeth (T-C-L) could do valuable work, if she had a clearer understanding of her limitations.

A lot of identification of species was done 100-200 years ago, ie not copy-righted anymore.

I looked at a few of her articles: Pandalus montagui (T-H-L) (Leach, 1814) and Prodajus ostendensis (T-H-L) (Gilson, 1909) Periclimenes yucatanicus (T-H-L) (Ives, 1891) …where the time of first description is more that 100 years old. Virtually all of these articles/books are available on the net, some, if not most have wonderful detailed drawings.

She would not need to "close paraphrase" sentences, as they are all out of copy-right.

I am pretty sure that Leach, Gilson and Ives made the best description of the above species, but these descriptions are not used, or linked to.
Why not use them?
She can't use multiple sources, it confuses her. Biologists at that time (19th c.) had their species descriptions used to lump together many later found species (early to mid-20th c), and probably only well-trained and experienced biologists could get away with using an older description. Cwmhiraeth cannot bring together the new into her mid-20th sources; frequently she uses the old and ignores what has changed, or she picks phrases out of the old and the new, thus inventing an entirely unique species. She also does not understand the limitations of her describing a species from its drawing or image, and other editors have caught her out on this--it is OR.
That depends on what field you are in. The area I know best, (North Atlantic marine Crustacea) was quite well covered a hundred years ago, and a lot of those descriptions are just as valid today. (But I also agree: you have to be a pretty experienced biologist....or working with one...to know which descriptions are still valid, and which are not.)

However, Cwmhiraeth does not see her limitations, one can virtually feel the frustrations from the biologist who tries to argue with her. Which is to be expected, when she has been applauded for years by a group of people with no understanding of science.
Like our "Henry".

I assume it is quite human to believe everything when people flatter you, and nothing when they criticise you.....
19th c geology rock descriptions can be fine also, better than modern.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 am

The Adversary wrote:BTW, I just loved the way that you ( AfadsBad) have criticised Cwmhiraeth for making up facts in an article...just to be strongly criticised by ColonelHenry (T-C-L) ...who turns out to have made up whole articles!

You couldn´t make this s...t up.
Lol. But I assumed this was the issue, because of the loud and nasty shouting, also, though, his comments at the GAR showed he either could not or would not read sources.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 am

And, no! You can't make this shit up. You have to have it created by a toally disfunctional community for it to be this unbelievable.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 am

Could we perhaps move the detailed Cwmhiraeth science posts to the other thread? Thanks mods, luv ya.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Hex wrote: I'm pretty sure that ColonelHooey is the current holder of the prize for wiki-fucking.
Current. But, not that I caught on, in retrospect his behavior was the sort of clue others at en.Wikipedia should have spotted sooner. How come it took someone at WO?

Also, the nasty personal attacks should have got him blocked much sooner, but, he was considered a "good contributor," like Cwmhiraeth.

I think the Alcohol laws of New Jersey (T-H-L) FA will also be a problem. Wait, he didn't create it. Or did he? Another sock puppet?: DavidinNJ (T-C-L).

The cultish favoritism at en.Wikipedia is killing them.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:58 pm

tarantino wrote:The story is about the disfuntionality of wikipedia, and Henry was only a part of it. I think the idea was to present the info, and let wikipedians out him, which has now happened. The irony in that is delicious.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Cedric wrote:
tarantino wrote:The story is about the disfuntionality of wikipedia, and Henry was only a part of it. I think the idea was to present the info, and let wikipedians out him, which has now happened. The irony in that is delicious.

I love it when a plan comes together.

It's a lot bloodier than I thought it would be.

Scott/Hex, you are a member here and you know my views on this Scarlet Letter THIS USER IS A HORRIBLE BANNED USER sort of thing, 'community ban' etc etc. Is it really necessary?

Also it's a bit silly to list out every single edit he has done under the Henry account when it is patently obvious that he uses socks for other stuff. You have missed at least one glaring error, probably more.

The point of the blog post was that you have a delusional character who has serious problems in real life and deserves pity. He did something very bad but has served time for it. Is all this nastiness really necessary? It seems cruel to me. Just blank everything, and let the guy help out if he wants. My strong sense is, as he says, that it is limited to a few articles, which would not be easily spotted without his help.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:17 pm

Peter Damian wrote: It's a lot bloodier than I thought it would be.

Scott/Hex, you are a member here and you know my views on this Scarlet Letter THIS USER IS A HORRIBLE BANNED USER sort of thing, 'community ban' etc etc. Is it really necessary?
But wikipedia commentards feed off each other, we all know that, each post increasing the amount of venom being injected into the prey, there are never enough adults in the room to call a stop. CH, Blofeld, et al piled on AfadsBad. A bunch Komodo Lizards are currently slavering over Cwmhiraeth. and the nest of vipers that infest the admin boards are swarming over the corpse of CH.

Its all just Happy Hour at wikipedia.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Peter Damian wrote: Scott/Hex, you are a member here and you know my views on this Scarlet Letter THIS USER IS A HORRIBLE BANNED USER sort of thing, 'community ban' etc etc. Is it really necessary?
It's pretty much inescapable at this point. If I hadn't done the banning marker thing, somebody else would have - my interest is in getting this part over as quickly as possible.
Peter Damian wrote: Also it's a bit silly to list out every single edit he has done under the Henry account when it is patently obvious that he uses socks for other stuff. You have missed at least one glaring error, probably more.
ColonelHenry/Cleanup (T-C-L) wasn't my addition, but there's already talk of replacing it with a list that includes sock edits. Whether it will actually get dealt with fully... who knows. Did the Qworty cleanup effort just fizzle out?
The point of the blog post was that you have a delusional character who has serious problems in real life and deserves pity. He did something very bad but has served time for it. Is all this nastiness really necessary? It seems cruel to me. Just blank everything, and let the guy help out if he wants. My strong sense is, as he says, that it is limited to a few articles, which would not be easily spotted without his help.
Frankly, I'd rather not have this delusional character touch the site, or interact with anyone on it, ever again. If that means falsehoods get found later rather than sooner, well, so be it. They're in there already, along with all the other thousands of pages of who knows what sort of crap.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Peter Damian wrote: The point of the blog post was that you have a delusional character who has serious problems in real life and deserves pity. He did something very bad but has served time for it. Is all this nastiness really necessary? It seems cruel to me.
You know, that really doesn't sit very well with the blog post, with its leering, detailed examination of "Henry" (gosh, that's a tricky pseudonym to decipher)'s crime and subsequent activities in prison, things that could have been summarized in a sentence or two, and repetition of his fantasies, ripe for (implied) mocking, crying out for readers to go sniffing around for more juicy morsels.

Contrast that with the prevailing sentiment at the WP:AN discussion, where multiple people have expressed the sentiment that it would be a bad thing to drag this man's troubled real life into the picture.

If you really felt sorry for him, you wouldn't have written the blog post as you did.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm

Hex wrote:If you really felt sorry for him, you wouldn't have written the blog post as you did.
I'm leaning with Hex here.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Hex wrote:
Peter Damian wrote: The point of the blog post was that you have a delusional character who has serious problems in real life and deserves pity. He did something very bad but has served time for it. Is all this nastiness really necessary? It seems cruel to me.
You know, that really doesn't sit very well with the blog post, with its leering, detailed examination of "Henry" (gosh, that's a tricky pseudonym to decipher)'s crime and subsequent activities in prison, things that could have been summarized in a sentence or two, and repetition of his fantasies, ripe for (implied) mocking, crying out for readers to go sniffing around for more juicy morsels.

Contrast that with the prevailing sentiment at the WP:AN discussion, where multiple people have expressed the sentiment that it would be a bad thing to drag this man's troubled real life into the picture.

If you really felt sorry for him, you wouldn't have written the blog post as you did.
It was written that way to emphasise the lies and the delusion. Read again the part that begins "An earlier punitive blow". The point was his defence of 'no serious bodily injury'. There is no counter to that except to say, yes it was serious bodily injury. The claims made in prison were all evidence of the delusion and the fantasy.

I do understand that someone else would have put those Scarlet Letter things on, but they really are horrible.
Frankly, I'd rather not have this delusional character touch the site, or interact with anyone on it, ever again.
I'm with you there. But [edit] given that Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, and the simplicity of opening another account, how are you going to stop him? Cue that quote from Larry about the complexity of the ridiculous. You can't make it both very easy and very hard to edit.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Hex wrote:ColonelHenry/Cleanup (T-C-L) wasn't my addition, but there's already talk of replacing it with a list that includes sock edits. Whether it will actually get dealt with fully... who knows. Did the Qworty cleanup effort just fizzle out?
Yes, they did "cosmetic" work on the articles Young trashed, nothing more. There seems even less interest in cleaning this up, so I suspect that he's made edits using socks (some of which are NOT LISTED in the "Suspected Sockpuppets" page, dammit!) which will endure for a very long time.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Peter Damian wrote: I do understand that someone else would have put those Scarlet Letter things on, but they really are horrible.
Right. And wikipedians are anything if not inconsistent. The perfectly vile Little green rosetta doesn't have one on his user page.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

Peter Damian wrote:The point of the blog post was that you have a delusional character who has serious problems in real life and deserves pity. He did something very bad but has served time for it. Is all this nastiness really necessary? It seems cruel to me. Just blank everything, and let the guy help out if he wants. My strong sense is, as he says, that it is limited to a few articles, which would not be easily spotted without his help.
Being a delusional character has little to do with the history of violence. Having a mental health problem comes below being male, young, relatively poorly educated and using intoxicating substances as a risk factor for violence. And continuing to make references during the Afadsbad/Cwmthingy business to the type of violence that he committed in the past suggests that he hasn't got the idea of committing such acts again out of his head. He's a nasty piece of work and any supposed mental health problems should not get in the way of recognising that. There are a lot people more worthy of pity than this guy.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Peter Damian wrote:
Frankly, I'd rather not have this delusional character touch the site, or interact with anyone on it, ever again.
I'm with you there. But [edit] given that Wikipedia is the encyclopedia that anyone can edit, and the simplicity of opening another account, how are you going to stop him?
We probably can't. The joy of Wikipedia.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Hex wrote:ColonelHenry/Cleanup (T-C-L) wasn't my addition, but there's already talk of replacing it with a list that includes sock edits. Whether it will actually get dealt with fully... who knows. Did the Qworty cleanup effort just fizzle out?
Yes, they did "cosmetic" work on the articles Young trashed, nothing more. There seems even less interest in cleaning this up, so I suspect that he's made edits using socks (some of which are NOT LISTED in the "Suspected Sockpuppets" page, dammit!) which will endure for a very long time.
One thing I've observed is that the vast majority of regular Wikipedians, especially its administrators, loathe doing any kind of content work in which they actually have to focus closely and deliberately on what they're doing.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:19 pm

Cla68 wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
One thing I've observed is that the vast majority of regular Wikipedians, especially its administrators, loathe doing any kind of content work in which they actually have to focus closely and deliberately on what they're doing.
:deadhorse:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 am

Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:12 am

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:14 am

This will die like the Qworty cleanup.

They'll "fix" a dozen "articles" and lose interest.

The underlying reason is that wikipedia is not an encyclopedia. It's a trivia blog/social media site/revenge platform.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:34 am

Sock guess: Onel5969 (T-C-L), Paviliolive (T-C-L).
:bow:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 am

diff
Categories:
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of No Account
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Longboat
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Uncarved Block
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Quintusdecimus
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Via Egnatia
Suspected Wikipedia sockpuppets of Tree&Leaf
LGBT Wikipedians

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:00 am

Cla68 wrote: One thing I've observed is that the vast majority of regular Wikipedians, especially its administrators, loathe doing any kind of content work in which they actually have to focus closely and deliberately on what they're doing.
Perhaps, but if you look at ColonelHenry/Cleanup (T-H-L), in this case we're trying. I've spent about two to three solid hours on it so far, examining his additions, checking references he added against their sources, correcting some errors and adding citation templates.

This is my penance for my involvement with the banning discussion. There is a lot more to do.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Hex wrote:
Cla68 wrote: One thing I've observed is that the vast majority of regular Wikipedians, especially its administrators, loathe doing any kind of content work in which they actually have to focus closely and deliberately on what they're doing.
Perhaps, but if you look at ColonelHenry/Cleanup (T-H-L), in this case we're trying. I've spent about two to three solid hours on it so far, examining his additions, checking references he added against their sources, correcting some errors and adding citation templates.

This is my penance for my involvement with the banning discussion. There is a lot more to do.
The geology section on the copper mine is a fail, not as bad as some, but should just be removed.

Liz points out DavidinNJ is into vinyards, so can't be the Colonel, but this is the Colonel's self-declared new area. It's a sock.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
Hex wrote:
Cla68 wrote: Liz points out DavidinNJ is into vinyards, so can't be the Colonel, but this is the Colonel's self-declared new area. It's a sock.
I don´t think DavidinNJ (T-C-L) is a Colonel sock.
Look at the Colonel-socks: typically they have been used for fake articles and fake support-votes for the main account.

DavidinNJ looks quite legitimate, perhaps someone with a COI to the subject.

And the Colonel edits mainly during the day (read: as in unemployed), while DavidinNJ edits mostly during the evening (read: has a job.. ..In the vine-industry of NJ?)

<edit>
On another note: when I look at the blog, I see that it has gotten 9 comments....but only 6 are visible? Is that because some comments are awaiting mods?

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:59 pm

The Adversary wrote: I don´t think DavidinNJ (T-C-L) is a Colonel sock.
Look at the Colonel-socks: typically they have been used for fake articles and fake support-votes for the main account.

And the Colonel edits mainly during the day (read: as in unemployed), while DavidinNJ edits mostly during the evening (read: has a job.. ..In the vine-industry of NJ?)
Adversary, I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily re: Colonelhenry, however it is not so simple to run that tool and say "edits during the day so must be unemployed." In the case of Wikipedia administrator "TParis" for example, who is a sergeant in the United States Air Force, he does the vast bulk of his edits on the job during the day (http://en.wikichecker.com/user/?t=TParis&l=1866). It doesn't mean he's unemployed. It means he's discrediting the Air Force and screwing the U.S. taxpayer (I am a U.S. veteran and taxpayer). I'm not going to get back on my critical commentary bicycle long regarding Tparis, because it's proven too edgy even for Wikipediocracy, but I looked at this guy who has admitted editing for pay (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =580253153). ("[Chinese scientist] Dennis Lo was written by me and published by someone else who paid me for it.") The last thing I did was briefly spot-check his edits to the Dennis Lo article to determine if any occurred during what are almost certainly his working hours. Answer: yes.

My point though is not make hasty judgment on employment status by running the Wikichecker tool, but rather be sure to go a little deeper looking at other factors, as I did in the case of Tparis.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Triptych wrote:

Adversary, I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily re: Colonelhenry, however it is not so simple to run that tool and say "edits during the day so must be unemployed." In the case of Wikipedia administrator "TParis" for example, who is a sergeant in the United States Air Force, he does the vast bulk of his edits on the job during the day (http://en.wikichecker.com/user/?t=TParis&l=1866). It doesn't mean he's unemployed. It means he's discrediting the Air Force and screwing the U.S. taxpayer (I am a U.S. veteran and taxpayer). I'm not going to get back on my critical commentary bicycle long regarding Tparis, because it's proven too edgy even for Wikipediocracy, but I looked at this guy who has admitted editing for pay (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =580253153). ("[Chinese scientist] Dennis Lo was written by me and published by someone else who paid me for it.") The last thing I did was briefly spot-check his edits to the Dennis Lo article to determine if any occurred during what are almost certainly his working hours. Answer: yes.

My point though is not make hasty judgment on employment status by running the Wikichecker tool, but rather be sure to go a little deeper looking at other factors, as I did in the case of Tparis.
I agree, editing during the day-time doesn´t mean that they are necessarily unemployed.
However, in the Colonel case, to quote from the blog: "Henry’s father told police that his son’s situation is ‘very sad.’ He had never held a steady job, not even at Walmart"

I would say the strongest argument against DavidinNJ being a Colonel-sock is that the edits of DavidinNJ are ....well, ok, the ones I have looked at.
However, I suspect he has a COI, (he participated on places like Wikipedia talk:Conflict of interest limit ‎ (T-H-L) during his last months there); I guess he either grew tired of WP, he had "covered his ground", or found that he came into conflict with the WP policies.

To me DavidinNJ simply "sounds" like a pretty normal guy to discuss with (look at the above page), I have seen none of the rants and personal attacks that sooner or later always came from the Colonel & his socks. (I haven´t looked through all the edits, of course, please do post any "nasty" diffs from DavidinNJ if you find them.)

Until then, I think the worst thing we can accuse him of, is that it appears that he is guilty of living in NJ.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 pm

The DavidinNJ account said he retired from enwiki three months ago. He still edits anonymously though from 71.125.66.136, and has uploaded a few photos to commons.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Let's start a pool, shall we?

On what date will the final edits be made to ColonelHenry/Cleanup?

I'll go first: May 29, 2014

Winner gets bragging rights.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:08 am

Soon after his block, Henry started posting quotes about forgiveness on his FB wall.

Here's the first one.

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”

― Mark Twain

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 am

tarantino wrote:Soon after his block, Henry started posting quotes about forgiveness on his FB wall.

Here's the first one.

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”

― Mark Twain
Hopefully he'll sign up here and give us his perspective on the crazy. He clearly brought his own crazy to WP, but I'm sure WP made it a hell of a lot worse.
This is not a signature.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:04 am

The Adversary wrote:
Triptych wrote:

I agree, editing during the day-time doesn´t mean that they are necessarily unemployed.
However, in the Colonel case, to quote from the blog: "Henry’s father told police that his son’s situation is ‘very sad.’ He had never held a steady job, not even at Walmart"

I would say the strongest argument against DavidinNJ being a Colonel-sock is that the edits of DavidinNJ are ....well, ok, the ones I have looked at.
However, I suspect he has a COI, (he participated on places like Wikipedia talk:Conflict of interest limit ‎ (T-H-L) during his last months there); I guess he either grew tired of WP, he had "covered his ground", or found that he came into conflict with the WP policies.

To me DavidinNJ simply "sounds" like a pretty normal guy to discuss with (look at the above page), I have seen none of the rants and personal attacks that sooner or later always came from the Colonel & his socks. (I haven´t looked through all the edits, of course, please do post any "nasty" diffs from DavidinNJ if you find them.)

Until then, I think the worst thing we can accuse him of, is that it appears that he is guilty of living in NJ.
I didn't do any of this stuff. I just looked at his first 50 edits. I'm sticking with, "Sock!"

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:Let's start a pool, shall we?

May 2, 2014.

By the way, he wrote a notable Clarinet-viola-piano trio (T-H-L).

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:58 pm

Hmmm...

The pace of checking starts to drop dramatically.
I was, perhaps, too optimistic about the wikipedia community's response to a proven hoaxer adding voluminous content to their ... "encyclopedia".

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:08 pm

May 2, 2014.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:15 pm

This is a bit of a stupid bet, isn't it?

All I have to do is make a single edit the day after the latest guess and you all lose.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 pm

Hex wrote:

All I have to do is make a single edit the day after the latest guess and you all lose.
Thanks for the heads up, we will discount Scott's edits from the total.

Cheater!

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:

Cheater!
Scott, contact me to learn more about my Pseudonymous Wager-Breaking Biz service.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Vigilant wrote: Thanks for the heads up, we will discount Scott's edits from the total.

Cheater!
So you're going to assess how much effort is being put into the cleanup effort by deliberately not including bona fide edits in the total?

You should have thought this one out more carefully! :banana:

Also, if your intention was to show it's a doomed effort, by doing that you've encouraged me to prove you wrong... or was that your plan all along? :twilightzone:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Hex wrote:
Vigilant wrote: Thanks for the heads up, we will discount Scott's edits from the total.

Cheater!
So you're going to assess how much effort is being put into the cleanup effort by deliberately not including bona fide edits in the total?

Also, if your intention was to show it's a doomed effort, by doing that you've encouraged me to prove you wrong... or was that your plan all along? :twilightzone:
You have come far, young padawan.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Hex wrote:

I think there gonna be talking about that case for years. Like Willie on Wheels!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Vigilant wrote:Hmmm...

The pace of checking starts to drop dramatically.
I was, perhaps, too optimistic about the wikipedia community's response to a proven hoaxer adding voluminous content to their ... "encyclopedia".
Yeah, I snickered at your guess, I admit.

Want to bet how long before Cwmhiraeth drops another turd on the main page?

There's no will at en.Wikipedia to make it an encyclopedia, now that the boys have made it their club.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:59 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:

Cheater!
+1

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:05 pm

thekohser wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:

Cheater!
Scott, contact me to learn more about my Pseudonymous Wager-Breaking Biz service.
Hey!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:

May 2, 2014.

By the way, he wrote a notable Clarinet-viola-piano trio (T-H-L).
I believe we have a winner!

Moi!

(I would bet on the main page bad science, but it continued throughout the review.)

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue May 06, 2014 1:44 am

enwikibadscience wrote:I believe we have a winner!

Moi!

(I would bet on the main page bad science, but it continued throughout the review.)
Reverted, for better or worse.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 am

enwikibadscience wrote: Moi!
I'm not finished with it yet, so you haven't won.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 am

Vigilant wrote:
Hex wrote:

Cheater!

You have come far, young padawan.
We need to start a pool on whether and how long until Scott becomes the next Sterling. Just sayin'...

(Is Mr. Silver Seren even around anymore?)
This is not a signature.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 pm

SB_Johnny wrote: We need to start a pool on whether and how long until Scott becomes the next Sterling. Just sayin'...
Meaning what, exactly?