Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Wikipediocracy blog posts
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:10 pm

I thought it was odd that the Signpost didn't cover an active ArbCom case, but I chalked it up to a lack of resources. Now I think it's because Signpost editor-in-chief JPxG really, really hates us.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:08 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:10 pm
I thought it was odd that the Signpost didn't cover an active ArbCom case, but I chalked it up to a lack of resources. Now I think it's because Signpost editor-in-chief JPxG really, really hates us.
Cry harder, jpxg.

Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

greenday61892
Critic
Wikipedia User: Greenday61892

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Since he's clearly reading pretty diligently here, as evidenced by how quick he is to rat Spacebook out for posting here:

:applause: Hi :applause: JPxG :applause: is :applause: this :applause: doxxing? :applause:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:15 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
JPxG came to WP 23-Jul-14 and got his buttons on 2-Nov-23 — an interval of 3,389 days, which is damned near a decade to you and me. Not an oldtimer, by WP standards and a definite noob with the power tools...

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 pm

"Proposed decision to be posted by 3 April 2024"

Yeah, right.

t

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:54 pm
"Proposed decision to be posted by 3 April 2024"

Yeah, right.

t
The proposals are up now. Including
Primefac is reminded against acting when involved.
I'm sure he is quivering. :facepalm:
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:51 pm

An arb who has to be reminded about INVOLVED is like a soldier who has to be reminded which way to point a gun. You don't want to be anywhere near them when things get serious.

Xiphoid Process
Contributor

Unread post by Xiphoid Process » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:24 pm

Posted on time and reasonably drafted. I am pleasantly surprised.

greenday61892
Critic

Unread post by greenday61892 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:03 pm

What happened to remedy 3 though?

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:44 pm

It's interesting that the committee specifically named Hemelein Publications in the proposed decision.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:12 am

Here's an interesting thing.

Two of HJ Mitchell's posts were removed.
curprev 21:50, 3 April 2024‎ HJ Mitchell talk contribs‎ 37,140 bytes +659‎ →‎Nihonjoe's conflicts of interests: vote
curprev 21:41, 3 April 2024‎ HJ Mitchell talk contribs‎ 36,481 bytes +2,091‎ →‎Proposed principles: votes
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

greenday61892
Critic

Unread post by greenday61892 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:27 am

Wait they were REVDELED dafuq?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:33 am

This I completely fucking hate...
1) The purpose of Wikipedia is to create a high-quality, free-content encyclopedia in an atmosphere of camaraderie and mutual respect among contributors. Contributors whose actions are detrimental to that goal may be asked to refrain from them, even when these actions are undertaken in good faith; good-faith actions, where disruptive, may still be sanctioned.
My proposed wording...
The purpose of Wikipedia is to provide a freely-accessible and freely-reproducable compendium of information which is factually correct and neutrally phrased.
Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah!
O Lord, Kum ba yah

This is where Wikipedia becomes a cult. It is a fucking internet churchcamp (with stipends!), not a serious academic project.
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:46 am

Wasn't my friend Guerillero (T-C-L) listed as "inactive" for this case?

Meh, details, schmetails...

t

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:48 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:33 am
This I completely fucking hate...
1) The purpose of Wikipedia is to create a high-quality, free-content encyclopedia in an atmosphere of camaraderie and mutual respect among contributors. Contributors whose actions are detrimental to that goal may be asked to refrain from them, even when these actions are undertaken in good faith; good-faith actions, where disruptive, may still be sanctioned.
My proposed wording...
The purpose of Wikipedia is to provide a freely-accessible and freely-reproducable compendium of information which is factually correct and neutrally phrased.
This is where Wikipedia becomes a cult. It is a fucking internet churchcamp, not a serious academic project.
Amen to that, Brother Tim.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:57 am

I am surprised that Arbcom has packaged Nihonjoe's Bureaucrat and Administrator privileges in one proposed sanction. I could see pulling the Bureaucrat flag as a virtually-unanimous thing (given the ultra-high level of community support necessary to gain that status) but the Admin buttons as a more controversial thing.

Ultimately, both these flags are gonna go, it seems to me.

t

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:46 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:12 am

curprev 21:50, 3 April 2024‎ HJ Mitchell talk contribs‎ 37,140 bytes +659‎ →‎Nihonjoe's conflicts of interests: vote
curprev 21:41, 3 April 2024‎ HJ Mitchell talk contribs‎ 36,481 bytes +2,091‎ →‎Proposed principles: votes
They weren't removed, they're still (mostly) there... https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1217104082.

They've just been modified (presumably in the following Sdrqaz edit) and then the original versions suppressed. I saw the edits just after Harry made them and nothing struck me as problematic, and I can't tell what the difference is now.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:03 pm

This is deeply unsatisfactory.

Well, he didn't declare, but we worked and we worked, and we eventually got him to declare.

Removing his tools is a given. But you hardly need tools to ignore your obligations. And since we know nothing of the precise nature of the work done by ArbCom, I see no reassurance here that anyone can be confident Nihonjoe gets it.

Has he understood, for example (Action Target), that he still has to declare even if he creates an article in his userspace and only moves it to main space once he has (in his words iirc) ceased to have a conflict? Which we now know means, I had by then quit that job so from the date I moved it I'm all good. No declaration needed then (draft) or now (left). So get out my face, you stalker bastards.

Especially since as we now know officially, the main thing here is whether the edits satisfied all other content policies.

:facepalm:

Nothing said about Nihonjoe making largely false accusations of harassment, either because he genuinely believed that was what was happening due to his misunderstanding of his obligations, or he was trying to scare people into shutting up once he knew he had fucked up and been caught. Why not? That's serious stuff given his position.

No admission of ArbCom failing to do their jobs from the outset either. Not that I ever said it was their job, its for the community to conduct COIN enquiries and if necessary only involve a Functionary for specific points of contention. But everyone else seems to think it is. So they have added yet another layer of BURO to hand that off to.

Back in February they be like, What, us? The fuck is this shit? Whaddya want us to do about it? I mean, does someone have to go over the wall and remind them they said they were going to acknowledge this and learn the lessons?

As it stands, the creation of a dedicated VRT seems designed to only increase the sense in Nihonjoe that he's being targeted. Because I see nothing here that would persuade anyone that seeing Nihonjoe create a company article without a declaration, wasn't something in of itself that needed looking into without any other reason to suspect he is trying to dodge (or is totally unaware of) his obligations. If they send it back saying you need proof, what then? Another Case?

As for this.....
For his failure to meet the conduct standards expected of an administrator, specifically as pertains to conflict of interest editing and conflict of interest disclosure, Nihonjoe is admonished.
Um, it's news to me that there are any higher standards expected of Admins when it comes to COI. The sanctions for failure to meet expectations should be higher, but the expected standard they should be meeting is not. It's an editor level policy.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:21 pm

The thing that's gonna cook his buttons is having used tools to protect two of "his" articles for no good reason.

The COI stuff was penny-ante, and wouldn't have even been an issue if he was a Mario rather than an Ultra-Super-Mario.

t

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:00 pm

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:46 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:12 am

They weren't removed, they're still (mostly) there... https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1217104082.

They've just been modified (presumably in the following Sdrqaz edit) and then the original versions suppressed. I saw the edits just after Harry made them and nothing struck me as problematic, and I can't tell what the difference is now.
I am pretty sure that it said "Per Tom" instead of "Per Guerillero" here:
Per Guerillero. Editors write about what interests them and some of these outside interests can conflict with Wikipedia's. It's not a problem as long as long as it's managed properly. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 21:41, 3 April 2024 (UTC)
At the time I saw it I had actually wondered whether that would be oversight block worthy following the Gospel according to Primefac.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:42 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:00 pm
Per Guerillero. Editors write about what interests them and some of these outside interests can conflict with Wikipedia's. It's not a problem as long as long as it's managed properly. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 21:41, 3 April 2024 (UTC)
At the time I saw it I had actually wondered whether that would be oversight block worthy following the Gospel according to Primefac.
He's actually used his real name many times on wikimedia projects. I don't know why a redaction would be necessary.
Tom Fish (Guerillero) at Wikiconference USA 2015

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:53 pm

tarantino wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:42 pm
rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:00 pm
He's actually used his real name many times on wikimedia projects. I don't know why a redaction would be necessary.
Tom Fish (Guerillero) at Wikiconference USA 2015
Well, we're seeing a lot of hysteria about "outing" and "doxxing" right now. And once again we're seeing oversighting instead of regular revision deletion. Is there a log somewhere where it says who did the deed?

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:53 pm
Is there a log somewhere where it says who did the deed?
Of course there is. Wikipedians are all about accountability. The log is here.

Oh, but also:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Oversighters.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:49 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 pm
rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:53 pm
Is there a log somewhere where it says who did the deed?
Of course there is. Wikipedians are all about accountability. The log is here.

Oh, but also:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Oversighters.
Thanks! I had found that log, but was hoping there might be some public log, too, maybe with less information.
It would be really interesting to see who had the guts to oversight an arb statement in an arbcom case.

Dan of La Mancha
Critic
Wikipedia User: Sojourner in the earth

Unread post by Dan of La Mancha » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm

rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:49 pm
was hoping there might be some public log, too
Surprisingly optimistic of you.

Anyway, I think it's very likely that HJ Mitchell did it himself.
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next it's rolling over me...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:26 pm

Dan of La Mancha wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm
rnu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:49 pm
was hoping there might be some public log, too
Surprisingly optimistic of you.

Anyway, I think it's very likely that HJ Mitchell did it himself.
A rare instance of my "maybe it's not all shit" optimism. You should feel honored, not many have encountered it. :XD

Edit:

Dennis Brown
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Dennis Brown
Actual Name: Dennis Brown

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:49 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:51 am
I thought what he said here was a good example of boomer entitlement
it also illustrates that dennis, despite years of exposure to the evidence, still does not understand that the vast bulk of the people who edit Wikipedia are under 25 and generally rely on others for their day to day sustenance

a lot of the attitude against paid editing, especially on behalf of an employer or for the financial interest of the editor, is because the vast bulk of wikipedia's editors are from a generation of people who deeply distrust large businesses and those who benefit financially from them. dennis is too old and too disconnected from today's young adults to understand this, and (like most people his age) just refuses to wrap his head around the idea that other people don't automatically just have the same attitudes toward the world that he does

"oaf-like" is definitely a fair assessment. this is exactly the sort of intellectual dwarfism i have come to expect from wikipedia's "vested contributors"
Again, funny stuff. You guys really have no idea who I am (I said this earlier) but you are quick to make assumptions about how I'm "disconnected". Just go ahead and say "ok boomer" while you are at it, although you don't know if I'm a boomer or Gen X. Or better yet, wear a "f*ck capitalism" shirt while posting on your iPhone. Funny stuff.

As for who the bulk of contributors are, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... kipedia%3F

28% are over 40, and from my experience, many of the most prolific are over 40. We have more time, we aren't raising small kids, after all. It is a generally young crowd, but many of us joined almost 2 decades ago for reasons you can't fathom (ie: the anarchist part of us wanted to be a part of a non-commercial project to educate the world, similar to why we adopted GNU/Linux, etc.). And no, I'm not sitting in my rocking chair, wagging my finger at the kids wearing their pants hanging off, complaining about how rap music isn't real music. My real life (and self) is a LOT more interesting than you make it out to be. But go ahead and assume you know me if it makes you feel better. It changes nothing for me.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” - Douglas Adams
"My patience is formidable.... But it is not infinite." - Scorpius (Farscape)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:44 pm

Dennis Brown wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:25 am
My real life (and self) is a LOT more interesting than you make it out to be. But go ahead and assume you know me if it makes you feel better. It changes nothing for me.
I would just like to take this opportunity to say that my life (and self) is even less interesting than you probably make it out to be. Hurrah for Dennis Brown, living his best life and dancing like no one is watching. We should all try to be more like Dennis.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:49 pm

"What Would Dennis DO?" car stickers are available.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:33 pm

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 pm

This is not Fram's first rodeo. We desyssoped Fram in part for harassment...and now here we are again, talking about Fram and harassment. CaptainEek Edits Ho Cap'n!⚓ 22:58, 4 April 2024 (UTC)
Really?!

Laura Hale, Maria Sefidari Huici, Trust and Safety, private evidence, etc

Captain Eek, you done goofed.

Disgruntled haddock
Critic

Unread post by Disgruntled haddock » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:04 pm

I'm appreciating the irony of a dude who exclusively posts multi-paragraph missives accusing someone else of oversharing, so there's that.

Back to the topic at hand, Nihonjoe is still one vote away from being desysopped. In the interim, he is still editing although just to action rename requests. Wonder if he will disappear once the remaining vote is cast (as it inevitably will).

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:47 pm

Disgruntled haddock wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:04 pm
Back to the topic at hand, [snip]
I've been staying out of this topic for fear of queering the pitch. But I note there have been no edits to the decision page for more than a day, I suspect the Arbs are haggling behind the scenes. But maybe several are travelling to see the eclipse. Or work IRL on weekends. Or are stripping wallpaper.

Emptyeye
Critic
Wikipedia User: Emptyeye2112

Unread post by Emptyeye » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:13 am

Quick note here that I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong RE: the timing of the Proposed Decision being posted. Good job on that, Arbs, sincerely.

Dennis Brown
Gregarious

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:33 am

Thryduulf probably has the best take on all of this, which is why I've been bouncing comments with them on the talk pages. They try to have a balanced perspective of the "big picture", which I appreciate. Nihonjoe will surely lose his bits due to not disclosing, which I suppose is fair. That doesn't make him a bad guy, he just made a couple of poor choices that led him to this. Not everyone can be public for safety or other valid reasons, so I understand why he might have been hesitant about disclosing (and I assume good faith in this), but the consequences are what they are if you do nothing for so long when you have a significant COI.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:15 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:33 am
Thryduulf probably has the best take on all of this, which is why I've been bouncing comments with them on the talk pages. They try to have a balanced perspective of the "big picture", which I appreciate. Nihonjoe will surely lose his bits due to not disclosing, which I suppose is fair. That doesn't make him a bad guy, he just made a couple of poor choices that led him to this. Not everyone can be public for safety or other valid reasons, so I understand why he might have been hesitant about disclosing (and I assume good faith in this), but the consequences are what they are if you do nothing for so long when you have a significant COI.
lol

What would happen to a bog standard editor who edited with this multivariate COI over a decade while denying it when asked?

Hmmmm?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:19 am

Maxim adds the 6th vote to take the bits.

Why is there no remedy for a block?

greenday61892
Critic

Unread post by greenday61892 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:24 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
Are you aware that if an editor with a COI is worried that disclosing is not good for their safety or pricacy, they can just, y'know, edit in different areas where they don't have a conflict of interest

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:29 am

greenday61892 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:24 am
Dennis Brown wrote:
Are you aware that if an editor with a COI is worried that disclosing is not good for their safety or pricacy, they can just, y'know, edit in different areas where they don't have a conflict of interest
Zactly

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 am

Why aren't there hard topic bans in the remedies for NihonJoe?

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:14 am

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:19 am
Cue Joe putting his admin affairs in order, including upping the protection on his user pages...

Dennis Brown
Gregarious

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:41 am

greenday61892 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:24 am
Dennis Brown wrote:
I would agree. Like I said, he made a couple of poor choices. Most COIs (and paid editing, for that matter) go unnoticed, undeclared and are by unknown people. Even the ones that declare a COI tag usually are anonymous editors. That said, I don't think outing someone is the right solution, but if you can't afford be be public, then yeah, you probably don't need to be editing with a COI because there is obvious risk. With apologies to Homer Simpson: Anonymity is both the cause of, and solution to, most of the problems on the internet.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:40 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
Nihonjoe will surely lose his bits due to not disclosing, which I suppose is fair. That doesn't make him a bad guy, he just made a couple of poor choices that led him to this.
Dennis Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:41 am
I would agree. Like I said, he made a couple of poor choices.
You are massively understating what he is actually guilty of based on the evidence.

He didn't just fail to disclose, he tried to bullshit and even intimidate those who queried him. You need a ledger to keep track of the number of lies he's told. It's astonishing to see what he managed to fit into what has been a really quite detached/disinterested engagement with an Arbitration Case Concerning A Bureaucrat.

He isn't just guilty of historical mistakes, or making mistakes after it all came out. He has gone as far as compounding the compounding of his original mistakes. He's almost out the other side of the Earth, in that hole of his.

To assess what he has done with that shovel, you start with the assumption that a Bureaucrat of all people must react to such things with immediate and total candour. Complete honesty. Leave nothing in doubt. We are very far removed from that standard here.

At no point has it ever felt like he gets the seriousness of all this. The gravity. It strikes at the heart of everything Wikipedia does. In my book, these things in the round, make him a very bad guy. And as far as I can tell, my book is WP:CIV, WP:ADMIN and WP:CRAT.

I'm be AMAZED if how he has acted in public during the Case is really any different to how he has acted in private. I'm far more inclined to believe ArbCom have soft-soaped him, coached him, given him epic benefit of the doubt, or just ignored the herd of elephants in their secret bunker. Anything to arrive at an outcome that frankly doesn't fit the evidence.

He's not just lucky, but the luckiest man alive, to only be facing the loss of his ability to block/protect/delete/close RFAs.

His limited and contradictory statements (and actions) on what he now, this minute, understands are his obligations under COI, warrant a topic ban from any edit that could be construed as promotional. Broadly construed. He has totally lost the right to AGF in this area. Completely. Nobody deserves to have a second of their time wasted ever again, pondering the reasons why Nihonjoe might be making an edit relating to a company or a product.

Come to think of it, why shouldn't an evasive, belligerent, unconvincing Bureaucrat not be facing a site ban, given the lingering doubts as to his true motives and whether everything that should be known, is known? Are there any more declarations he should have made, but ArbCom did for him? Or is it just Hemelein? A site ban is logical if the reassurance you would need here only comes from hiring a private investigator.

It was entirely in his hands to prove to the community via this Case that he gets it. That he understands what a COI is and how he is supposed to manage them. And most importantly, why. He has not done so in my view. Action Target could happen all over again, whether through stupidity or malice. Nobody can show me why it can't, from this Case. They can only show me the most generic of admissions and the most vacuous of promises. And it doesn't even record them. What a joke. Worst ArbCom ever. Rookies and One Term Wonders.

Even his mere failure to disclose can be seen as the mark of a bad man rather than just a stupid man. When you combine the sheer number and variety of his deceptions, and how he has conducted himself since the blog post dropped, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume his failure to disclose was deliberate. That he assumed he would never be caught. That he thought his long service to Wikipedia entitled him to a little cream. A dollar here, a connect there.

And let's have it right. If it wasn't for those pesky malcontents, not an Administrator or higher among them, he would indeed have gotten away with it. On this evidence, with Administrators holding views like yours, I think it's fair to say that Wikipedia doesn't just have a COI problem in general, 100% of COI editing by advanced rights holders will go undetected.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:08 pm

In a parallel universe where none of this had ever happened, if Nihonjoe said to the community tomorrow...

Oh hey guys. Nihonjoe here. I'd like to create Wikipedia biographies for authors I have close connections to, and update their biographies with works I have close connections to, and my edits may feature sourcing from a second unrelated site I also have a close connection to.

I will do all this as live and direct editing, forming a small part of my thousands of other edits. I will make a single COI statement on my user page listing all affected articles. But I will not identify individual edits.

I will not volunteer any more information than I have done here in public, such as the precise nature of these close connections, for reasons of my safety and security. So please do not ask me.

I guess I have to comply with the COI guidance and admit I am open to further private queries being answered for you by one of my colleagues in the Functionary team. But I make no promises that my answers will be full and complete, or even timely. Sorry not sorry.

Thank you for your time.

.....are people so fucking stupid as to think the community's response would be, well, that sounds fine, go right ahead?

So why is ArbCom pretending this isn't the case?
5) The evidence presented suggests that Nihonjoe's editing while having a conflict of interest did not, in general, violate other content policies or guidelines.

Support: I think it's important to remember why we have COI: to produce neutral encyclopedic content. The problem, for me, was not the edits themselves but that the community was deprived the chance to subject the edits to the stricter scrutiny they deserved to ensure they were in compliance with our content policies. Barkeep49 (talk) 18:27, 3 April 2024 (UTC)[reply]--Guerillero Parlez Moi 19:24, 3 April 2024 (UTC)[reply]

I haven't seen any evidence that the edits were problematic in and of themselves. If Joe had disclosed his COIs at the time, there wouldn't have been much to worry about. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 22:22, 3 April 2024 (UTC)[reply]

In general, the COI edits in question were not remarkable. I methodically went through any post-2014 COI edits (the last 10 years), and the big themes are software version and bibliography updates. The page protections, already mentioned above, struck me as the most remarkable actions. Jessintime's evidence is about spammy edits from 2008; I don't feel that it renders false the "in general" qualifier, nor am I entirely keen on strongly weighing something from 16 years that does not seem to be a trend (specifically, the spammy edits; the COI edits indeed are a trend). Maxim (talk) 00:05, 4 April 2024 (UTC)[reply]

COI edits are not inherently bad. Indeed, an experienced Wikipedian is probably the best suited to edit about a COI because they understand the rules. But of course the key rule is that COI must be disclosed...and that rule did not get met. I think the edits themselves were fine. If there is any problem, it is that I'm not sure that D.J. Butler would have gotten an article without Nihonjoe's intervention. With regards to Micheal Collings, maybe he wouldn't have gotten a page without Nihonjoe, but I'm generally not gonna question something from 2008. CaptainEek Edits Ho Cap'n!⚓ 19:43, 4 April 2024 (UTC)[reply]

Barkeep articulates it well, it's an evasion of scrutiny. Cabayi (talk) 07:35, 8 April 2024 (UTC)
Is this what Wikipedia has been reduced to?

Is it too much to ask that when it concerns an ordinary matter of editing, if the answer to a brand new editor would be, do you think we're stupid, jog on mate, then a Bureaucrat should get the same answer too.

People are insane if they think the risk reward for Wikipedia of these judgements is being wisely formulated. The risk reward for Nihonjoe, well, I'm banking he's fine with this.

Laughing all the way to the bank.

Nice work if you can get it.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:17 pm

Silent Editor wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:14 am
Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:19 am
Cue Joe putting his admin affairs in order, including upping the protection on his user pages...
06:54, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/vector.js ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/vector.js" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:53, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/unreliable-rules.js ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/unreliable-rules.js" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:52, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/roundbox ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/roundbox" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:52, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/monobook.js ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/monobook.js" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:52, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/monobook.css ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/monobook.css" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:52, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/common.js ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/common.js" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:51, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/box-header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/box-header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:50, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/box-footer ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/box-footer" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:49, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/WPJnavbox ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/WPJnavbox" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:49, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Very top ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Very top" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:49, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/WikiProjects ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/WikiProjects" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:49, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/U ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/U" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:48, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Tasks ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Tasks" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:48, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Comp ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Comp" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:48, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Babel ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Babel" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:48, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Associations ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Associations" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:47, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/About ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/About" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:47, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Other ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Other" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:47, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Opinions ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Opinions" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:47, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Interests ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen/Interests" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:45, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab3 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab3" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:45, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab2 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab2" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:45, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab1 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Talk page header/Tab1" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:44, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Talk intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Talk intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:44, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Talk header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Talk header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:44, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Sig ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Sig" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:43, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/2 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/2" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:42, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/1 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/1" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:42, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Selected works ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Selected works" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:42, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/Layout ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Selected works/Layout" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:41, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Reference page intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Reference page intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:41, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Reference page header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Reference page header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:41, 8 April 2024 diff hist −216‎ User:Nihonjoe/Reference page header ‎ up
06:40, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Ref page header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Ref page header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:39, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Projects/Intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Projects/Intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:39, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite))
06:39, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Awards ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Awards" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:39, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Misc ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Misc" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:38, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Projects ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Projects" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:38, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Projects/Header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Projects/Header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:38, 8 April 2024 diff hist −87‎ User:Nihonjoe/Projects/Header ‎ up
06:37, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Portal notice ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Portal notice" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:36, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Non-articles ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Non-articles" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:34, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Misc/Header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Misc/Header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:33, 8 April 2024 diff hist −87‎ User:Nihonjoe/Misc/Header ‎ up
06:33, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:33, 8 April 2024 diff hist −34‎ User:Nihonjoe/Userboxen ‎ update
06:31, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Meetups ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Meetups" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:28, 8 April 2024 diff hist −92‎ User:Nihonjoe/Intro ‎ update current
06:28, 8 April 2024 diff hist −112‎ User:Nihonjoe/Intro ‎ update
06:25, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/TabsTop ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/TabsTop" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:25, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/TabsBottom ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/TabsBottom" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:25, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab6 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab6" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:25, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab5 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab5" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:24, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab4 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab4" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:24, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab3 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab3" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:24, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab2 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab2" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:24, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab1 ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Header/Tab1" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:23, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Editing ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Editing" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:23, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Editcounter ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Editcounter" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:22, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Did you know ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Did you know" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:21, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/DYK ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/DYK" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:21, 8 April 2024 diff hist −87‎ User:Nihonjoe/Contribs/Header ‎ up current
06:21, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Contribs/Intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Contribs/Intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:19, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Break notice ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Break notice" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:19, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Awards/Intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Awards/Intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:18, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Awards/Header ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Awards/Header" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:18, 8 April 2024 diff hist −87‎ User:Nihonjoe/Awards/Header ‎ update
06:18, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Award list ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Award list" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:18, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Articles ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Articles" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:17, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Archives template ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Archives template" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:17, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Archives intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Archives intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite)) current
06:13, 8 April 2024 diff hist 0‎ m User:Nihonjoe/Intro ‎ Changed protection settings for "User:Nihonjoe/Intro" ([Edit=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite) [Move=Require autoconfirmed or confirmed access] (indefinite))
:rotfl:

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm

It looks like Nihonjoe can predict the future. Well, his own anyway :blink:
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Yngvadottir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Yngvadottir

Unread post by Yngvadottir » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:25 pm

C&B wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm
It looks like Nihonjoe can predict the future. Well, his own anyway :blink:
Some of those were probably overdue, like removing cats for what browsers he uses. But I'm sorry to see him removing himself as a Japanese-language proofreader and translator.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 am
The main thing that has stuck during this case has been his use of buttons to put full protect on two of his articles.

Frankly, the rest of it all was pretty weak sauce. He hasn't been a systematic content-manipulator, even if he has been connected without acknowledgment to topics that he edited.

t

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:55 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:58 am
The main thing that has stuck during this case has been his use of buttons to put full protect on two of his articles.

Frankly, the rest of it all was pretty weak sauce. He hasn't been a systematic content-manipulator, even if he has been connected without acknowledgment to topics that he edited.

t
He's a bad actor.
He should be indef'd.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:45 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm
He hasn't been a systematic content-manipulator, even if he has been connected without acknowledgment to topics that he edited.
Eh?

Writing and editing articles for everyone you have ever worked for or with, feels pretty systematic to me.

Content manipulation is exactly what he did. The chances Aquaveo gets on the front page without him, are near zero. A declaration simply made it easier. The scary thought is people might genuinely have said, by all means, promote your employer on the front page of Wikipedia. You deserve it!

The Wikipedia editors and their ArbCom Masters are being willfully ignorant of basic editorial policies and guidelines as they go about giving him a free pass for what are in the main, editorial failures. You don't need Admin rights for any of this. Taking them away is irrelevant. This is why people are focused on the protections. They want to live in a fantasy land.

They are currently giving him a free pass to continue to add any book published by Hemelein to any author who has a biography. No source required other than a listing website. No proof needed that it is a remarkable book, no need for critical commentary. Just proof it exists. Not even an independent source. Could probably even get away with citing directly to Hemelein or that wiki he is an Admin of.

This is not how things are done in 2024. Wikipedia is WP:NOT the free website for small authors. Want every book you ever wrote listed in Wikipedia? Have a career that would justify it. Be famous enough you don't need to publish with a company that itself doesn't even have a Wikipedia article.

This stuff is a gross breach of neutrality. This is what makes me ABSOLUTELY PISS MYSELF WITH LAUGHTER when they're claiming he hasn't broken any editorial policies. These edits would in all likelihood never happen if it wasn't for Nihonjoe's entirely non-neutral view of whether they need to be made.

It's so obviously a bad outcome for anyone who actually cared about basic editorial policies, it's embarassing.

Total waste of time. Might as well have just let him get in with it, with the conflicts tracked by Wikipediocracy readers. Which they almost did!