Midsize Jake
Site Admin
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Loses Powers in Admin-Bribery Controversy

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:30 am

Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Loses Powers in Admin-Bribery Controversy

Dec. 19, 2023

Obviously this is all quite a bit "after the fact," but nobody else in media-land seems to have covered it, and Neil Schon had been on the homepage for a bit longer than we might have liked.
Jimbo “Jimmy” Wales, considered by many to be the “godfather” of Wikipedia, was recently stripped of advanced permissions on the site he co-founded after making false corruption allegations against one of its more respected volunteer administrators.

Here’s an account of what happened...
It struck me earlier today that a lot of people out there just assume, based on the fact that he occasionally appears on television, that Jimbo is and has always been personally in charge of Wikipedia. Such people might read this and think it's some sort of fake-news prank, or something like an April Fool's Day joke. And perhaps not coincidentally, I'm not sure yet if the author of this entry wants to publicly take credit for it. (That doesn't have to be decided right away, though... Anyway, it wasn't me, if that's what some of you are thinking.)

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Loses Powers in Admin-Bribery Controversy

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:59 pm

This deserved to be written about, late or not. Jimbo has a marginal role on Wikipedia these days, based on his role in starting it and almost nothing else. This episode showed how out of touch he is with the Community and made a few people question his judgment. Also, nice John D. Loudermilk allusion.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Loses Powers in Admin-Bribery Controversy

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:15 am

I liked, commented, and shared the article to some social media. I encourage other people to do this too.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing