The Nicholas Alahverdian Story

Wikipediocracy blog posts
Giraffe Stapler
Habitué
kołdry

Re: The Nicholas Alahverdian Story

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 am

If I haven't said so already, I would like to admit that I was totally wrong about Alahverdian's whereabouts. I didn't think that he would leave the US. I assumed he would probably even end up in a state that he already knew (not Rhode Island or Massachusetts but probably Ohio or Utah). Apparently I didn't give him enough credit. :)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:22 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:16 am
Apparently I didn't give him enough credit. :)

Nick is a man of many talents...

Louise Alahverdian's lawyer, Adam Smith Esq. wrote:He loved his wife and his family. He enjoyed painting. And he was a fantastic cook

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:45 am

As an amateur baker, thats not a bad gruffalo. You should see some of the abortions of pokemon cakes people make. I think there is a website for it.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:29 am

Anroth wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:45 am
As an amateur baker, thats not a bad gruffalo. You should see some of the abortions of pokemon cakes people make. I think there is a website for it.
Well, not pokemon, but I did a quick google search and found this:

So I'm not doing that again... :angry:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 pm

Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:37 am
My favorite bit
"Police had to physically carry him out of the apartment, and once in a cruiser he “continued to yell and scream very loudly and started hitting his head up against the bars on the back window.” Police said they used pepper spray to get Alahverdian to stop banging his head."
:picard:
I did see that when I was trawling through the news reports earlier.

Truly remarkable. We had to intervene at "weapons level" to stop him physically hurting himself via his own insanity.

Another thing I noticed when reading back again was the Scottish paper noting that Nick's "wife" was overheard "wailing" during his latest arrest.

This is, presumably, the new Rebekah Brooks lookalike "wife", "wailing" amidst a smattering of towels, pyjamas, socks, inactive oxygen masks and secret Irish driving licences?

Rather than one, both or all of the earlier Louises?

It's just so hard to properly keep up. :angry:

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:12 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:41 pm
Thus begins the rest of Nick's life behind bars.
I'm hoping for a desperate mid-air escape during transport (with the long-suffering Louise waiting in the Atlantic with a dinghy).
It seems like that's the only way I'll get my wish of his compliance being ensured with taser and/or billy clubs. seeing him dragged from his flat in pajamas and secured to a strap-o-lounger was pretty cool, but a bit like dinner with no pie after.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:20 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:12 pm
It seems like that's the only way I'll get my wish of his compliance being ensured with taser and/or billy clubs. seeing him dragged from his flat in pajamas and secured to a strap-o-lounger was pretty cool, but a bit like dinner with no pie after.
This is only Season 1.

If Netflix haven't bought the rights for Season 2 yet they are seriously missing a trick.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:01 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:12 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 pm
I'm hoping for a desperate mid-air escape during transport (with the long-suffering Louise waiting in the Atlantic with a dinghy).
Would being fitted to a Hannibal Lector hand truck, complete with face mask, and being transported in a military C130 bolted to the bulkhead for the flight home fit the bill?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:23 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:01 pm
Would being fitted to a Hannibal Lector hand truck, complete with face mask, and being transported in a military C130 bolted to the bulkhead for the flight home fit the bill?
Do we have undisputed control of both airfields?

If so it seems like it might work, or, if it somehow still fails, it could at least be a decent season finale...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:46 pm

They could strap him into a Humvee and parachute it into a federal courthouse parking lot.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:46 pm
They could strap him into a Humvee and parachute it into a federal courthouse parking lot.
I like your thinking.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:03 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:46 pm
I like your thinking.
Anthony Hopkins could play the part of the driver as a cameo.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:18 pm

Scottish prosecutor: Tattoos gave Nick Alahverdian away
Tom Mooney, 22 Jan 2022, ProJo
When Pawtucket police arrested Nicholas Alahverdian in 2010 for domestic assault of a woman he was living with, they noted in their report his tattoos: a bar code on his left bicep, a bird wing on his right.

At the hearing in Edinburgh, the prosecutor told Sheriff Alistair Noble that Alahverdian also had scarring on one arm “which is believed to have come from the attempted removal of tattoos.”
Yeah, bar code tattoos are a bad idea.

I have one on my forehead - the result of youthful misadventure - and shop staff are always trying to scan it for a laugh. I wouldn't mind so much, but it's the bar code for adult diapers and I'm sick of explaining that it's just a joke.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:43 pm

I had a similar problem when the US Defense Department decided to classify my penis as a "weapon of mass destruction" and insisted that it be labeled with an indelible code, just in case someone ever tries to export it to a non-NATO foreign country.

We're getting a little off-topic here, though...

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 pm

Damn, I've been really busy IRL the last couple of months but wow. I'm still catching up but this is a god damn story if there was one. I see where some are talking about a Netflix doc.

So who would play Michael Cockram? Daniel Craig? Brad Pitt? Jim Carrey?

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 pm

Good choices!

Is Elijah Wood still in the biz?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:25 pm

rhindle wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:34 pm
Graham Chapman would be perfect except he's dead.

Maybe Ricky Gervais.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:28 pm

I'd prefer Clancy Brown (T-H-L) myself.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:04 pm

Just blur him out and use the same guy to do the voice that did Gerry Adams for years...

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:09 pm

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:50 pm

Michael Schofield

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:30 am

He went the full niqāb with his get up.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 am

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:00 am

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:01 pm
They might want a spit shield instead of the Hannibal mask. Alahverdian seems like a spitter.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:07 am

tarantino wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:25 pm
rhindle wrote:
It's really a shame Peter Sellers is dead. He could play both Cockram and Alahverdian.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:21 am

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:49 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:07 am
tarantino wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:25 pm
rhindle wrote:
It's really a shame Peter Sellers is dead. He could play both Cockram and Alahverdian.
...and 'Louise.'

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:49 am

Naah, the obvious choice there is Austin Abrams.

Of course, if I were to have a role at all, which I probably shouldn't, I should be played by Bradley Whitford. He plays a lot of "snarky guy" roles, and now that my own hair is getting a bit grey, I do sort of look like him (without the facial hair, of course).

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:23 am

I wanted to share a few paragraphs from the Times' latest:
Knight told other neighbours he worked at the nearby University of Glasgow, where he was writing a book on religious education.
“As cover stories go it was a belter,” one said. “It was so incredibly dull that no one would ever think to question him.”
“He talked about how he and his wife, Miranda, who lived with him, were trying to start a family and loved to list off the physical ailments that he was suffering from.”
Seeking out rather than shunning attention, he announced he was going to launch a political podcast from the living room of his Victorian tenement flat, offering cash to anyone who would act as his assistant.
Anna’s concerns heightened when a delivery man turned up late at his door one morning. “He [Knight] was shouting and roaring, it was a proper full-on meltdown,” she said. “After that, I noticed that he would become really angry at the slightest inconvenience. It was like his mask had well and truly slipped.”

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:52 am

US fugitive who faked own death and fled to Scotland threatened TV star he conned out of thousands
Craig Robertson & Norman Silvester, 23 Jan 2022, Daily Record

His wife Miranda – who’s thought to be unaware of his con artist and sex offending past – has been abandoned by him in the flat they rent in the west end of Glasgow, where they were said to be planning a family.

The couple moved last year from Bristol where Miranda, 41, is still the owner of a house.

A Sunday Mail investigation has also uncovered details of the period between Rossi’s fake death in America and his discovery in Glasgow. We can reveal how he used a fake Irish accent and posed as a marketing expert to trick a Canadian star into handing over $40,000.

Nafsika Antypas – a vegan food and lifestyle writer and TV host – was persuaded by Rossi to let him get involved in her successful international food business, which she wanted to expand to the UK. But when she realised he was a conman and severed ties, Rossi made up lies about her online, sent vile messages and made threats to her family.

Nafsika, 44, who runs the Nafsika’s Garden brand, knew him as Nicholas Knight-Brown and had no idea he was a sex offender and fraudster wanted by the FBI until approached by this newspaper.

Her links to him were traced via Companies House records which show he was managing director of now closed company Nafsika Global Holdings Ltd, using the name Nicholas Knight-Brown. Wife Miranda is listed alongside him as a business executive, while Nafsika is the company’s owner.

It was set up by Rossi on February 26, 2020, at a business address in London – at the same time he was meant to have been ill with cancer in America before his fake death three days later on February 29. He set himself up with a $100,000-a-year salary.

Nafsika said: “I’ve been trying to track down this con artist since 2020. He pretended to do work for my company and bullied me into registering a new company with him, which I quickly was able to dissolve.

“I have called the police in three countries asking them to track him down but they told me outright they couldn’t help me, even though he harassed my house and parents’ home by phone. I was afraid for my safety – he threatened he would come to my house.”

Nafsika first came into contact with Rossi after he advertised as a marketing and public relations expert online. She was impressed with his biography and agreed to hire him to set up social media and promotional work for a planned expansion into the UK.

Text message threats sent to Nafsika Antypas from Nicholas Rossi

She had no idea of his real identity as he concealed it with a convincing CV and a thick Irish accent.

She said: “I didn’t believe I needed to have a company in the UK in order to be successful there as he kept telling me. I did feel bullied and he used the fact I had been scammed before to convince me I was just being paranoid. I should have listened to my gut.

“What was I paying him for? He did absolutely nothing. It had also become clear to me that he wanted to profit from my Canadian company because he kept asking to update my articles of incorporation for me, which I refused.”

Text messages show things turned nasty when Nafsika began wondering what work he was doing. After questioning why she’d spent $40,000 on four months’ work but had seen no results, he bombarded her with abuse.

Rossi told her: “I’m shocked, appalled and abhorred that you would insinuate that I’ve done nothing for you. We are on the brink of massive online sales with a correlating PR campaign on two continents and here you are patronising me and telling me I’ve done nothing.”

He went on: “If you couldn’t afford me, you shouldn’t have hired me. “If I don’t hear from you… I will be posting a lengthy account of my experience on ripoffreport.com where they NEVER remove posts and reviews about companies.”

Rossi then sent her a picture of her driving licence photo with “fraud alert” next to it and began posting lies and abuse online. He said she had a “fraudulent company with fake vegan cheese that hurts its employees and their families”.

“All vegans are urged to boycott Nafsika,” he said.

Further messages sent to Nafsika

Nafsika said she had to pay $30,000 in “damage control” in what she described as “good, positive publicity to drown out his bad”.

The last she heard from Rossi was when a lawyer’s letter arrived at her home in Canada in June 2020, threatening court action over $70,000 in unpaid wages after she shut the firm. It said: “In virtue of the employment agreement between yourselves and our client dated February 26, 2020, you hired our client as an employee for an annual salary of $110,556.

“Our client commenced his employment and worked faithfully and diligently. On or about April 24, 2020, suddenly and without warning, justification or cause, you disconnected our client from his corporate email account and ceased communication with him and paying his salary, effectively illegally terminating his employment.

“Consequently, we are hereby calling upon you to make payment of the said sum of $73,704 . . failing which all necessary legal proceedings will be taken against you.”

Nafsika’s lawyer wrote back to demand back the $40,000 he’d already been paid, stating he’d failed to carry out the work he promised and demanded compensation for the abuse she’d suffered from him.

She heard nothing else after that and hired a private investigator in Dublin – where Rossi said he was from – to try to track him down.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:44 am

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:49 am

The Nicholas Alahverdian Story Update
Wikipediocracy, 24 Jan 2022

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:02 am

The Hive of Knuckle-Dragging Malice wrote:
There’s also the standard point we make in nearly all of our blog posts, which is that even after 20 years of existence, it’s still too easy for Wikipedia to be manipulated by clever and/or tenacious bad actors, even when those bad actors aren’t particularly well-versed on the rules, or even particularly skilled at lying. The “notability” bar is still too low, and while the Biographies of Living Persons (BLP) policy didn’t necessarily apply in this case after Alahverdian declared himself dead, those rules are still too weak, not to mention unclear in cases where the life-status of the subject is in question.

Alahverdian himself* actually agreed with us...
In a private message on reddit, Louise Alahverdian** wrote:
This is why I told the Wikipediocracy administrators that I agree with their mission and am willing to help them in any way that I can. Financially. Logistically. Volunteering. Because Wikipedia can do anything without being checked or overseen and that is a very scary thing. They can write an article about anything even if the subject or topic was of very little importance and not worthy of an encyclopedia article.

:applause:

* or was it actually his wife?
** or me pretending to be his wife pretending to be him?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:45 am

A search for “Nicholas Alahverdian” on google returns the ninth page of this thread as the 70th result and no other results from WO unless you click on "repeat the search with the omitted results included." Then you get a couple of blog posts between 300 and 400 results. A jokey fark thread is higher FFS.

I looked through the first 300 results on bing and there were no results from WO. Newsday Zimbabwe was at 146 though.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:13 am

Just as well. We don't want to be associated with a character like that.

Hochman & I TM are working on a project to make wikipediocracy.com the top result when searching the word bullshit, which should drive up traffic quite considerably.
Top secret
bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit

But Google needs that old Wiki-o-crazy nightlight shined up their crevices for sure.

Capeo
Regular
Wikipedia User: Capeo

Unread post by Capeo » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:45 am

As a Providence native, even of all the mob control and murders in the 70s and 80s couldn't make for a more astounding story than this guy There's definetely a movie there. Which would largely be Scottish and Irish people being, "what the fuck with the fake accent," and resolving that you're an ignorant tourist.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:37 am

Fugitive sex offender who faked death given away by his tattoos
One of his neighbors in Glasgow, Anna said she was always suspecting something was not right.

She told the Times: “Arthur dressed in three-piece suits with little silk pocket squares and a broad-brimmed hat.

“He looked and sounded like a caricature of a posh Englishman.”

“He was friendly and polite, but there was something about him that gave me the creeps.”

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:54 am

A blond mustache too, apparently.

Literally this guy...

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:08 am

From synonyms.com link

Perhaps a more recent quotation from Nick the Nicked should be added: "Arghh! Get off me! Where's my towel? Waaaah!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 am

And now for an appropriate musical interlude.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:53 am

From Image @DavidFutrelle
who give a hat tip to Wikipediocracy.
The former A Voice for Men point man for “Judicial Accountability” was just arrested in Scotland, where he reportedly fled to escape rape and fraud charges in the US after faking his own death

It’s safe to say that A Voice for Men founder Paul Elam is not really a great judge of character.

Some years ago, Elam hailed the eccentric and obviously unhinged attorney Roy Den Hollander as a Men’s Rights hero, declaring that “as much as I loathe the idea of anyone claiming authority on what a “real” man is, if I had to venture a guess, it would be men like Hollander.” The founder of the Men’s Rights hate site also published an article by Den Hollander calling on MRAs to literally take up arms for the cause.

In 2020, Den Hollander shot three men — the husband and the son of a Federal Judge he had tangled with as well as a rival Men’s Rights attorney — before turning the gun on himself. Only the husband survived.

Before he became (in)famous as the “crying Nazi” after Charlottesville, the volatile white nationalist Christopher Cantwell published a number of articles on A Voice for Men. When informed that Cantwell was harassing people online, Elam defended him (and, while he was at it, suggested to me that I kill myself).

Cantwell is currently serving time in prison for threats and extortion.

Now the man whom Elam tapped as the “Chief of Staff” for AVFM’s somewhat pretentiously named Judicial Accountability Committee has been arrested in Scotland — where he reportedly fled to avoid fraud and sexual assault charges after faking his own death.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:17 am

Strix technica (T-C-L) is David King, A Voice for Men's Server Operations Manager

Desmay (T-C-L) is Dean Esmay, their former Managing Editor.

Men’s rights activists think a “hateful” feminist conspiracy is ruining Wikipedia
Caitlin Dewey, 4 Aug 2014, Washington Post

... AVfM managing editor Dean Esmay published an essay decrying “censorship” and “misandry” on a new platform: Wikipedia, that sum of all human knowledge, where Esmay says editors “infected” by a “hateful Gender Feminist dogma” have conspired to silence him and other members of his movement.

Granted, Esmay’s movement is pretty controversial. AVfM advocates, among other charming things, for the abolition of marriage, the death of chivalry, and “an end to rape and DV [domestic violence] hysteria.” But even if you find those beliefs distasteful, Esmay’s accusations raise some very important questions about who gets a voice on Wikipedia, and how that voice echoes on the wider Internet. After all, Wikipedia is (famously!) the only reference that anyone can edit — and edit anonymously. But it’s a self-moderating system. It’s open to the biases of its writers and editors.

As the Daily Dot’s Tim Sampson wrote in 2013:
George Orwell once said, “He whoever controls the past controls the future.” And in 2013, the surest way to control the past is to control Wikipedia.
Sampson was referencing a case in which a right-wing group commandeered the Croatian Wikipedia — gradually, over a long time, and without anyone realizing. Incidents like that lend some credence to Esmay’s accusations. Regardless of what you make of him or his movement or his claims of “censorship,” he does make a valid and oft-overlooked point about Wikipedia: Namely, that the site is shaped, often invisibly, by the collective personalities and agendas of its editors.

Esmay, for his part, has had enough of that whole consensus thing. In the same post where he denounced Wikipedia, Esmay invited readers to contribute to AVfM’s very own Wiki, which will “welcome and encourage contributions from Men’s Rights Activists and those affiliated with the Men’s Rights Movement.”

Ironically, dissenting views are only allowed on that Wiki’s talk pages — you know, the bureaucratic backwaters that readers never actually see. If Esmay or his ilk sense the hypocrisy there, they’re certainly not telling.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:46 am

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:13 am

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:14 am

Nick! You've finally achieved your dream of fame!

Sex offender Nicholas Rossi who 'faked death' lived in Bristol until last year

Revel in it!

My favorite bit of unbelievable shite.
His wife Miranda – who is thought to be unaware of his con artist and sex offending past – has been abandoned by him in the flat they rent in Glasgow.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:19 am

I don't mean to blame the victim here, but she doesn't sound like she was that hard to con.
Antypas found him on Upwork, a online marketplace for freelancers looking for work in web development, promotions and marketing.

In an interview with The Journal, Antypas, of Montreal, said, “He told me he had an international law degree” and mentioned Harvard, where Alahverdian — once a familiar Rhode Island advocate for child-welfare reform — did take some extension-program classes.
Yes, when hiring someone from a freelance site, always look for someone who went to Harvard and has an International law degree because those are the most relevant qualifications for PR work. Do not stop to ask yourself why someone with those qualifications would be looking to pick up freelance PR jobs instead of, say, working as a lawyer.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 am

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:12 am

Smiley wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:55 am
How tall is Nicholas Alahverdian?
:rotfl:

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 pm

I've only seen headshots or him in a wheelchair being huckled. Hard to tell. I suppose we could do a reasonable estimate from a photo of him standing to a much more famous person whose height is known....