kołdry
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Re: The Nicholas Alahverdian Story

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 am

ancientofmumoo wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:54 pm
True Crime Looser

Quite the contrary: it would appear that he is pretty tightly secured.
"Snowflakes around the world are laughing at your low melting temperature."

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:11 am

rnu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:33 am
I assume that the lawyers are court appointed. According to that article his lawyer in this case is Samantha Dugan who works for the Salt Lake Legal Defender Association which is "a nonprofit legal organization that provides representation to indigent individuals accused of crimes in Salt Lake County." So different county, different lawyer.
Miranda's money or willingness to spend it must have finally run out.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm

I was hoping for leaked video of Alahverdian being dragged down a hallway to his court appearance yesterday, but I guess that didn't happen. He was there (by videolink) with an oxygen tank. Still claims to be Arthur Knight.

KSL.com: Judge dismisses 1 of 3 Utah cases against Nicholas Rossi
He was also charged with sexual battery, a class A misdemeanor, in a separate third case, but deputy Utah County attorney Stephen Jones asked the judge to dismiss that case during Tuesday's hearing. Fourth District Judge Derek Pullan granted the request dismissing it without prejudice, meaning it could potentially be filed again.

In that case, which charging documents said happened in September 2008, Rossi was accused of pushing the roommate of someone he was dating into a bedroom, trying to kiss her and grabbing her breasts. Jones did not say why the case was dismissed.
The case was apparently dismissed because it was not included in the extradition request, according to KSLTV (which seems unrelated to KSL.com).
According to the Utah County Attorney’s Office, the sexual battery case, a class A misdemeanor, was not part of the Department of Justice’s extradition order to bring Rossi to Utah from Scotland, where he was discovered in a hospital being treated for COVID-19 and living under the alias Arthur Knight. That order was specifically for the felony rape charges.

Tim Taylor, a chief deputy in the Utah County Attorney’s Office, says it was known that the sexual battery case would need to be dismissed once Rossi arrived in Utah and that the victim was consulted throughout the process.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:52 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm
I was hoping for leaked video of Alahverdian being dragged down a hallway to his court appearance yesterday, but I guess that didn't happen. He was there (by videolink) with an oxygen tank. Still claims to be Arthur Knight.
The severe lack of huckling is making me sad.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:52 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:51 pm
The severe lack of huckling is making me sad.
Dude's in a Utah prison for raping people in Utah.
He's also clearly defrauded his Mormon foster family.
I suspect he's getting a TON of untelevised huckling.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:27 pm

huckling.
From what I understand, "huckle" is Scottish slang for "forcibly arrest". But I am not a prescriptivist, so I look forward to this broader Wikipediocratic usage of "huckle" becoming more commonly used.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:41 pm

That's not Nicholas Alahverdian, that's Arthur Knight!

Isn't current Wikipedia dogma that You Are Whomever You Claim To Be?

t

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:46 pm

News article with some video

He's still just as ridiculous.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:18 pm

iii wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:27 pm
huckling.
From what I understand, "huckle" is Scottish slang for "forcibly arrest". But I am not a prescriptivist, so I look forward to this broader Wikipediocratic usage of "huckle" becoming more commonly used.
I picture him being dragged around in shackles by prison guards, howling like a baby.

I also just really like the word huckle. It has a nice twang.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 pm

iii wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:27 pm
huckling.
One definition from wiktionary, huckle.
Noun

(obsolete) The hip, the haunch.

A bunch or part projecting like the hip.

(Tyneside, derogatory) A homosexual man.
On the talk page, lol.
I believe that the definition was added to insult somebody with that last name. It is my last name and I don't want this dictionary to decide that my last name means a "homosexual man". There is not a single other dictionary that is so crude as to claim that my name means a homosexual man. I have never met a person with the name Huckle that was a homosexual. It is entirely ridiculous to have all the people named Huckle change their last name. How would you like it if people voted to make your family name mean something that was off color. Just because one crude person decides to use somebodies name in a rude way doesn't make it a new definition for a word. Otherwise I'd be able to make the name of everybody who I don't appreciate something crude on this site. But I'd probably be sued for that action.

Yeah, how would all the people feel if Dick suddenly meant something crude.--Prosfilaes (talk) 02:01, 16 April 2012 (UTC)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:10 pm

tarantino wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 pm
On the talk page, lol.
I believe that the definition was added to insult somebody with that last name. It is my last name and I don't want this dictionary to decide that my last name means a "homosexual man". There is not a single other dictionary that is so crude as to claim that my name means a homosexual man. I have never met a person with the name Huckle that was a homosexual. It is entirely ridiculous to have all the people named Huckle change their last name. How would you like it if people voted to make your family name mean something that was off color. Just because one crude person decides to use somebodies name in a rude way doesn't make it a new definition for a word. Otherwise I'd be able to make the name of everybody who I don't appreciate something crude on this site. But I'd probably be sued for that action.

Yeah, how would all the people feel if Dick suddenly meant something crude.--Prosfilaes (talk) 02:01, 16 April 2012 (UTC)
I ran into a football player named Dick Wood (T-H-L) yesterday. I thought that was awesome, but I'm like 14 years old, so there's that...

t

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:14 pm

I suspect Arthur Knight will not do well in prison.

t

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:50 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:14 pm
There's already the examples of Scottish prisoners taking the Mick out of his claim to be Jewish and before that he had appeared in court with a black eye.

I would have thought that someone with a less abrasive personality who took the piss out of the system with all his nonsense claims might have had the chance to make himself popular for doing so.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:33 pm

I'm sure he will be popular. He looks soft and fleshy.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:51 pm

Anroth wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:33 pm
I'm sure he will be popular. He looks soft and fleshy.
You know he’s running his mouth to all and sundry

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:57 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:50 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:14 pm
There's already the examples of Scottish prisoners taking the Mick out of his claim to be Jewish and before that he had appeared in court with a black eye.

I would have thought that someone with a less abrasive personality who took the piss out of the system with all his nonsense claims might have had the chance to make himself popular for doing so.
Faking stuff to get preferential treatment isn't a way to become popular. That goes both for faking illness and claiming to be Jewish which has been known to be done by prisoners in the hope of getting better food (the assumption being that the kosher meals are better than the regular stuff).
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 pm

rnu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:57 pm
Faking stuff to get preferential treatment isn't a way to become popular. That goes both for faking illness and claiming to be Jewish which has been known to be done by prisoners in the hope of getting better food (the assumption being that the kosher meals are better than the regular stuff).
I've requested kosher meals when making airline reservations. They don't ask you to prove you are a Jew, and the food is usually better/fresher because it's not made in huge batches.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:12 pm

tarantino wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27 pm
rnu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:57 pm
I've requested kosher meals when making airline reservations. They don't ask you to prove you are a Jew, and the food is usually better/fresher because it's not made in huge batches.
Asking people to prove that they are Jewish would be a bit iffy. In Germany the Bundesverfassungsgericht ruled that kosher and halal slaughter methods cannot be banned (like some animal rights advocates demand) because of the constitutionally protected freedom of religion. They ruled that a butcher has to be issued a special license that allows the practice if the meat is for customers whose religion demands it. So some politician (I don't remember who) had the bright idea that to make sure it really is only done when the customer's religion demands it customers should have to prove their religion. He even proposed that the state should issue special ids for this purpose. For obvious historical reasons the proposal to issue special ids for Jews was not well received, to say the least.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:10 pm

Remember when Arthur Knight (who wasn't Nicholas Alahverdian and had no connection to him) was peddling that bizarre Satanic abuse story about then Utah County Attorney David Leavitt and his wife? That had obviously been fed to him by one of Leavitt's political opponents who were happy to use Alahverdian to do their dirty work. I never thought anyone actually believed any of it.

Well, it turns out that perhaps someone did:

Wonkette: Utah May Soon Ban Non-Existent 'Satanic Ritual Abuse'

Sennalen
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Sennalen

Unread post by Sennalen » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:13 pm

Everything from the 80s is in again

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:26 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:10 pm
Remember when Arthur Knight (who wasn't Nicholas Alahverdian and had no connection to him) was peddling that bizarre Satanic abuse story about then Utah County Attorney David Leavitt and his wife? That had obviously been fed to him by one of Leavitt's political opponents who were happy to use Alahverdian to do their dirty work. I never thought anyone actually believed any of it.

Well, it turns out that perhaps someone did:

Wonkette: Utah May Soon Ban Non-Existent 'Satanic Ritual Abuse'
An actor commits ritual abuse of a child if the actor, as part of a ritual, intentionally or knowingly;

Causes a child to participate in or witness:

the torture, mutilation, or sacrifice of an animal;

the dissection, mutilation, or incineration of a human corpse:

the causing of serious bodily injury to an individual;

bestiality;

sadistic or masochistic activities;

the ingestion or external application of an organic substance or material; or

an activity that would constitute a criminal offense;

Causes a child to:

enter a coffin or open grave containing a human corpse or remains;

participate in a mock, unauthorized, or unlawful marriage ceremony as an individual being married to another individual or a fictional representation; or

ingest, inject, or otherwise intake a chemical compound, narcotic, drug, hallucinogen, or anesthetic;

Threatens a child, or the child's parents, family, pets, or friends with death, serious bodily injury, or other criminal activity; Deprives a child of sleep, food, or water; Binds or confines a child; Or otherwise acts to cause to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any individual.
Do the Utah legislators then think that it's ok to cause a child to witness the mutilation of a human corpse, as long as it isn't part of a ritual? And are they really advocating locking people up for keeping their children awake during grandpop's funeral? I don't think they've thought this one through...

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:26 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:26 pm

An actor commits ritual abuse of a child if the actor, as part of a ritual, intentionally or knowingly;

bestiality;

Causes a child to:

participate in a mock, unauthorized, or unlawful marriage ceremony as an individual being married to another individual or a fictional representation; or

ingest, inject, or otherwise intake a chemical compound, narcotic, drug, hallucinogen, or anesthetic;

Threatens a child, or the child's parents, family, pets, or friends with death, serious bodily injury, or other criminal activity; Deprives a child of sleep, food, or water; Binds or confines a child; Or otherwise acts to cause to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any individual.
Do the Utah legislators then think that it's ok to cause a child to witness the mutilation of a human corpse, as long as it isn't part of a ritual? ...
Or that making a ritual of dinner time should be criminalised?
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:08 am

lonza leggiera wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:26 am
AndyTheGrump wrote:

bestiality;

Causes a child to:

Do the Utah legislators then think that it's ok to cause a child to witness the mutilation of a human corpse, as long as it isn't part of a ritual? ...
Clearly, only non-ritual dinners are permitted. So no saying grace. They've just outlawed Christianity...

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:10 am

lonza leggiera wrote:
AndyTheGrump wrote:

So, both Christian Eucharist and Shabbos dinner off the table then.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:57 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:10 am
lonza leggiera wrote:
AndyTheGrump wrote:

So, both Christian Eucharist and Shabbos dinner off the table then.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:44 am

Providence Journal: Left without financial arrangements in Utah, Alahverdian given more time to find a lawyer
Over the objection of a state prosecutor, a Utah judge on Tuesday granted former Rhode Island con man and nabbed international fugitive Nicholas Alahverdian more time to hire a private lawyer to defend himself against two 2008 rape charges.

Alahverdian’s prospective lawyer Lance Bastian told the court he and Alahverdian had yet to come to financial terms because of the difficulty connecting with Alahverdian’s wife, Miranda, who remains in the United Kingdom.

“The difficulty is, frankly, his wife is still in the UK, communication has been difficult there and making the appropriate financial arrangements for her has been a challenge,” Bastian told District Court Judge Derek Pullan.
I hope the difficulty is that Miranda is refusing his calls.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:06 am

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:44 am
Providence Journal: Left without financial arrangements in Utah, Alahverdian given more time to find a lawyer
Over the objection of a state prosecutor, a Utah judge on Tuesday granted former Rhode Island con man and nabbed international fugitive Nicholas Alahverdian more time to hire a private lawyer to defend himself against two 2008 rape charges.

Alahverdian’s prospective lawyer Lance Bastian told the court he and Alahverdian had yet to come to financial terms because of the difficulty connecting with Alahverdian’s wife, Miranda, who remains in the United Kingdom.

“The difficulty is, frankly, his wife is still in the UK, communication has been difficult there and making the appropriate financial arrangements for her has been a challenge,” Bastian told District Court Judge Derek Pullan.
No honor among thieves.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:29 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:

Ah yes. The UK: no phones, no internet, no post office, ... And the pigeons take ages to cross the Atlantic.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:34 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:

More likely he's already soaked her into bankruptcy.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 pm

Not much new on the Nick Alahverdian story for the past month except for a judge refusing to compel prison officials to call him "Arthur Knight" and his lawyer getting his case continued to April 19.

https://www.aol.com/nicholas-alahverdia ... 3886.html/

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:11 pm
Not much new on the Nick Alahverdian story for the past month except for a judge refusing to compel prison officials to call him "Arthur Knight" and his lawyer getting his case continued to April 19.

https://www.aol.com/nicholas-alahverdia ... 3886.html/
If you want to support local journalism, here is the link to the story in the Providence Journal.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

KSL.com: Judge gives man extradited from Scotland 4 more weeks to find attorney (archive)
PROVO — Nicholas Rossi appeared in court Tuesday and asked 4th District Judge Derek Pullan for even more time to retain an attorney to represent him. The judge gave him four more weeks.

He has had an attorney appearing for him in this case, but the attorney had only officially represented him to add the name that Rossi currently uses — Arthur Knight — as an alias on the case. On Tuesday, the attorney chose not to come to the hearing since he had not been paid and had no legal obligation to show up.
My guess is they want to give him every opportunity to get a lawyer so he can't later claim that he was improperly represented and appeal.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm
KSL.com: Judge gives man extradited from Scotland 4 more weeks to find attorney (archive)
PROVO — Nicholas Rossi appeared in court Tuesday and asked 4th District Judge Derek Pullan for even more time to retain an attorney to represent him. The judge gave him four more weeks.

He has had an attorney appearing for him in this case, but the attorney had only officially represented him to add the name that Rossi currently uses — Arthur Knight — as an alias on the case. On Tuesday, the attorney chose not to come to the hearing since he had not been paid and had no legal obligation to show up.
My guess is they want to give him every opportunity to get a lawyer so he can't later claim that he was improperly represented and appeal.
And there is no rush given that in the meantime he gets to stay in prison.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:06 pm

What?!

Miranda isn't sending over flipping great wadges of cash to support her hubby?!

Unpossible!!

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm

If he is truly broke he may have to go with a public defender.

Miranda was probably wrung dry and left in heavy debt.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm
If he is truly broke he may have to go with a public defender.

Miranda was probably wrung dry and left in heavy debt.
I think it's more like, "No honor among thieves."

Her shenanigans smelled like grifter to me.