The Nicholas Alahverdian Story

Wikipediocracy blog posts
Beeblebrox
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: The Nicholas Alahverdian Story

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:53 pm

"A very bad, transparent con man" does sum it up nicely.

The world is a big place, and it is still possible to disappear and pop up elsewhere with a different identity. This guy just sucks at it and is clearly getting increasingly desperate.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 pm

Can’t the Scots just keep him in a cold, damp dungeon with a Book of Mormon, feeding him kosher bread, Irish potatoes and water? With an extremely large, lovelorn Scottish felon? Wearing a prison kilt?

Scotland is famous for cold, damp castles with dank dungeons.

Why bring him to America?

Catfish Jim & spd
Critic
Wikipedia User: Catfish Jim and the soapdish

Unread post by Catfish Jim & spd » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:36 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:26 pm
Can’t the Scots just keep him in a cold, damp dungeon with a Book of Mormon, feeding him kosher bread, Irish potatoes and water? With an extremely large, lovelorn Scottish felon? Wearing a prison kilt?

Because he's fucking annoying and we don't want him.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm

Catfish Jim & spd wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:36 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:

Because he's fucking annoying and we don't want him.
Can we just send him back to the US in a box?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:54 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Or several small boxes? It might save on postage.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:25 pm

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:54 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Or several small boxes? It might save on postage.
Anyone else thinking of Night Gallery (T-H-L)?

spartaz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Spartaz
Wikipedia Review Member: Spartaz

Unread post by spartaz » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:21 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:

Why are Americans so obsessed with imprisoned people being subjected to gay sex?
Evil by definition
Badly spelled by crappy tablet
Humbugg!

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:33 pm

He may have to resort to the "immovable object" defense when they come for him. Put that bulk to good use.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:16 pm

spartaz wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:21 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:

Why are Americans so obsessed with imprisoned people being subjected to gay sex?
Its not 'being subjected to' its rape. And its because they want something unpleasant to happen to them, and in prison being someones prison bitch is about the most unpleasant thing short of being shanked or murdered.

And while the situation in UK prisons isnt as bad as US ones, thank god, male-on-male rape is still widespread.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Prison reform should be everyone's cause. And let's try to stop referring to rape in prison as a joke or something desirable.

Moving on, I'm in favor of extradition, Nicholas Alahverdian is literally a US citizen, and he's our problem to solve. Fair trial here, and if the UK wants to try him, bring him back there in shackles.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:03 am

Zoloft wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Prison reform should be everyone's cause. And let's try to stop referring to rape in prison as a joke or something desirable.

Moving on, I'm in favor of extradition, Nicholas Alahverdian is literally a US citizen, and he's our problem to solve. Fair trial here, and if the UK wants to try him, bring him back there in shackles.
Don't worry, he will be huckled your way soon enough. Unfortunately the US prison system is largely why extraditions there take so long compared to other "civilized" countries.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:14 am

I'd be very happy if he was forced to kneel in front of each of his victims, apologize to them and accept responsibility for everything he's ever done.

casualdejekyll
Muted
Wikipedia User: casualdejekyll

Unread post by casualdejekyll » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:35 am

Anroth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:03 am
Zoloft wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:51 pm

Don't worry, he will be huckled your way soon enough. Unfortunately the US prison system is largely why extraditions there take so long compared to other "civilized" countries.
it's such a pattern. america has normalized everything it does and people genuinely don't believe what happens in other countries is different because they never need to think about it

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:58 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:14 am
I'd be very happy if he was forced to kneel in front of each of his victims, apologize to them and accept responsibility for everything he's ever done.
The inherent incapability of sincerity is disqualifying.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:13 am

Anroth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:03 am
Right, as badly as the UK prison system has treated Julian Assange, the US system would treat him far worse.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:49 am

From what I am aware of, Utah's prisons are neither the best nor the worst. In any event, most inmates convicted of sexual assault end up in administrative segregation where they woiuld be in a cell with at most one other inmate.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:47 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:49 am
From what I am aware of, Utah's prisons are neither the best nor the worst. In any event, most inmates convicted of sexual assault end up in administrative segregation where they woiuld be in a cell with at most one other inmate.
Can you imagine being Nick's cellmate?

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:48 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
"Convicted" being the operative word. The general estimate is that only 1 in 10 prison rapes are reported, and those are not happening in segregation. Primarily because they are not being perpetrated by people convicted of sexual crimes, but rather by gangs as a means of power and control.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Anroth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:48 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
"Convicted" being the operative word. The general estimate is that only 1 in 10 prison rapes are reported, and those are not happening in segregation. Primarily because they are not being perpetrated by people convicted of sexual crimes, but rather by gangs as a means of power and control.
My point was that Nick is almost certainly going to be convicted of sexual assault and will therefore be in segregation, and less likely to be victimized himself.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:23 pm

I just hope he gets tried in a jurisdiction that allows the trial to be televised.
Always improving...

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:29 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:03 pm
Anroth wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:48 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
My point was that Nick is almost certainly going to be convicted of sexual assault and will therefore be in segregation, and less likely to be victimized himself.
Nick's a lifer if he gets extradited.

He'll never leave prison.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:21 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:29 pm

I understand the desire to see him locked up for the rest of his life, but it is unlikely to happen. He hasn't been tried or convicted yet, so we're jumping the gun here, but if he is convicted, sexual assault is a first degree felony in Utah so sentences start at 5 years (according to the web pages of Utah defense attorneys). If he is convicted of both sexual assault cases in Utah, that would be very bad for him because the first conviction would be taken into account when he is sentenced for the second. It is possible that he could be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, but I think they reserve that for only the most egregious cases. I really don't want to downplay the seriousness of his crimes but he didn't break into stranger's houses and rape sleeping women at knifepoint. This isn't that kind of case.

He is only in his 30s (despite the fact that he gives himself the appearance of someone much older). He could conceivably spend the next 20 years in prison and still walk out a free man.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:21 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:29 pm

I understand the desire to see him locked up for the rest of his life, but it is unlikely to happen. He hasn't been tried or convicted yet, so we're jumping the gun here, but if he is convicted, sexual assault is a first degree felony in Utah so sentences start at 5 years (according to the web pages of Utah defense attorneys). If he is convicted of both sexual assault cases in Utah, that would be very bad for him because the first conviction would be taken into account when he is sentenced for the second. It is possible that he could be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole, but I think they reserve that for only the most egregious cases. I really don't want to downplay the seriousness of his crimes but he didn't break into stranger's houses and rape sleeping women at knifepoint. This isn't that kind of case.

He is only in his 30s (despite the fact that he gives himself the appearance of someone much older). He could conceivably spend the next 20 years in prison and still walk out a free man.
At least 6 cases of sexual assault, at least 4 cases of criminal fraud most of which are interstate and thus federal...

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:35 pm

I'd just like to point out here that Utah is still the only state in the USA that has an "Everyone Dies In..." rock band named after it...

...which suggests that there might be a general public perception, perhaps even in Scotland, that Utah is more "aggressive" in its application of capital punishment than other states that allow for it. (It probably is, too.)

Admittedly though, Scotland tends to go in for pop/rock music that's more in the post-punk/traditional crossover vein, along with a smattering of dreampop, tweegaze, and neo-folk stuff. So maybe there isn't much awareness of this particular band over there, since they seem to be one of those emo-screamo-type groups that the kids were all into back in 2007 or whenever it was.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:43 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm
At least 6 cases of sexual assault, at least 4 cases of criminal fraud most of which are interstate and thus federal...
I am aware of only two active legal cases for sexual assault, namely the ones in Utah for which they want him extradited. I think it is very unlikely that anything further will happen with the past incidents that have been reported. There is also the incident in Essex, but I haven't seen anything confirming that the English police ever interviewed him. let alone charged him.*
I don't know how many (if any) fraud cases will be heading his way if he comes back to the US. It was reported that the FBI were looking for him when he left the US, but there wasn't a lot of detail.

We're both making guesses here. My guesses are more pessimistic than yours. I will not be disappointed if it turns out that you are right, ;)

*I still believe that accusation should be dealt with before Alaverdian is extradited, If he is charged, tried, and convicted, make him serve his sentence and then extradite him.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:51 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:43 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:09 pm
I am aware of only two active legal cases for sexual assault, namely the ones in Utah for which they want him extradited. I think it is very unlikely that anything further will happen with the past incidents that have been reported. There is also the incident in Essex, but I haven't seen anything confirming that the English police ever interviewed him. let alone charged him.*
I don't know how many (if any) fraud cases will be heading his way if he comes back to the US. It was reported that the FBI were looking for him when he left the US, but there wasn't a lot of detail.

We're both making guesses here. My guesses are more pessimistic than yours. I will not be disappointed if it turns out that you are right, ;)

*I still believe that accusation should be dealt with before Alaverdian is extradited, If he is charged, tried, and convicted, make him serve his sentence and then extradite him.
He took out credit cards in his foster family's names and ran up $220K and then ran.

MoldyHay
Critic
Wikipedia User: many different IPs

Unread post by MoldyHay » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:41 pm

(It brightens up my day whenever this thread has new posts)
UPE on behalf of Big Popcorn :popcorn:

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:42 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:47 am
Beeblebrox wrote:
Can you imagine being Nick's cellmate?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:32 am

The FBI was for sure looking for him. They knew he faked his death, they just didn't know where he'd gone. So, yeah, there could be federal charges as well.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:00 am

Last week Scottish Sun claimed that Arthur Knight would be sent to Essex for an interview "within days". no one else seems to have reported that and even the Scottish Sun hasn't claimed that it hapened, so it probably didn't.

Scottish Sun: NEW RAPE QUIZ Fugitive Nicholas Rossi could be sent to England within DAYS to face another rape claim

In other news, The Jewish Chronicle provides this insight:
During a hearing in June, Rossi wore what appeared to be a black legal gown and a kippah.

Questioned about his dress in court, Rossi claimed the gown was called a bekishe, an overcoat worn by Orthodox Jewish men.
That is not a bekishe (T-H-L) or even a plausible simulation of one.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:50 pm

Wife of rape suspect who faked own death saves her PR firm from being struck off
Miranda Knight, the wife of Nichola Rossi, a fugitive wanted on rape charges who is believed to have faked his own death, has made a last-minute effort to save her PR firm from being struck off.

Knight Corp Limited is registered at 7 Bell Yard in London, which seems to be the registered address for around 10,000 other firms.

Ms Knight set up the firm, specialising in “public relationships” and “media representation” in May 2022, at the start of what turned out to be one of the most bizarre court battles in recent Scottish legal history.

According to Companies House, Ms Knight has been involved with a number of companies that have since been dissolved.

They include Veritascube, another public relations and communications firm, which lists her brother Kevin, as a director. Last year he told the Daily Record that he had no knowledge of his involvement with the company.

Both she and a Dr Nicholas Arthur Timothy Knight Brown were listed as directors of Nafsika Global Holdings ltd.

Their business partner in that endeavour, Nafsika Antypas – a vegan food and lifestyle writer and TV host – has since accused Rossi of scamming her out of tens of thousands of dollars.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:31 pm

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:38 am

"Scotland's justice secretary has confirmed that the extradition of the American fugitive Nicholas Rossi can go ahead."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67016975

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:08 pm

Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:38 am
"Scotland's justice secretary has confirmed that the extradition of the American fugitive Nicholas Rossi can go ahead."

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:09 pm

Prepare for the huckling.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:11 pm

Anroth wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:09 pm

Prepare for the huckling.
Hoping for an 'accidental' drop onto a curb in there somewhere.

This piece of human garbage needs to spend the rest of his miserable existence in prison.

Jip Orlando
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Jip Orlando

Unread post by Jip Orlando » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:32 pm

Agreed. I used to work with some police officers in a large city, and I heard stories about criminals that did really nasty things, like child sex abuse, 'fell down stairs' before their court appearances. These falls would leave the suspects with black eyes, and dislocated shoulders. They'd tell the judge straight up, 'I fell down some stairs.' Nicky boy might do the same.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:40 pm

And sometimes it turns out that the people who were helped to fall down stairs didn't do anything wrong after all.Image
Not that I think that is the case with our Nick.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:26 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:40 pm
And sometimes it turns out that the people who were helped to fall down stairs didn't do anything wrong after all.
The lede sentence of Birmingham Six (T-H-L) begins "The Birmingham Six were six Irishmen...". Do we say "Irishmen" nowadays?

Jip Orlando
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Jip Orlando

Unread post by Jip Orlando » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:13 pm

eppur si muove wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:40 pm
And sometimes it turns out that the people who were helped to fall down stairs didn't do anything wrong after all.Image
Not that I think that is the case with our Nick.
Yes, of course. The actions I described likely don't happen as often anymore. See Jon Burge (T-H-L) for some more background.
With Nick, I doubt he will receive preferential treatment upon conviction. He'll be tossed in with the other rapists and sex offenders.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:53 pm

Jip Orlando wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:13 pm
Yes, of course. The actions I described likely don't happen as often anymore. See Jon Burge (T-H-L) for some more background.
The most notorious gang of bent cops in the UK were the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad (T-H-L). Most got away without being taken to court to face criminal charges themselves.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:31 pm

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:04 pm

This just in.

Nicholas Rossi arrested by Essex police over latest rape allegation
Essex police confirmed he was now in their custody. “Officers investigating a non-recent allegation of rape in Chelmsford, which was made to us in April 2022, have arrested a 36-year-old man,” a spokesman said.

Extradition legislation stipulates that proceedings must be put on hold until domestic criminal allegations are resolved.
“If there is enough evidence to charge him, the odds are he is going nowhere fast,” one senior extradition lawyer previously said.
“It would have been much better to have the English allegations dealt with before the extradition was arranged. Somebody is going to have to break the bad news to the Americans that it could be up to ten years before he is extradited.”

kepchup
Contributor

Unread post by kepchup » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:10 pm

id wish for him to get dumped in the channel if not for poisoning the sealife. scum is too kind an epithet for him
— and liquor? I barely even know her.

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:22 pm

tarantino wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:04 pm
This just in.

Essex police confirmed he was now in their custody. “Officers investigating a non-recent allegation of rape in Chelmsford, which was made to us in April 2022, have arrested a 36-year-old man,” a spokesman said.

Extradition legislation stipulates that proceedings must be put on hold until domestic criminal allegations are resolved.
“If there is enough evidence to charge him, the odds are he is going nowhere fast,” one senior extradition lawyer previously said.
“It would have been much better to have the English allegations dealt with before the extradition was arranged. Somebody is going to have to break the bad news to the Americans that it could be up to ten years before he is extradited.”
There's likely no sentencing mechanism for for serving English and American prison sentences concurrently.

If I were an American prosecutor, I'd be happy to see Alahverdian make this long stop on his way home.

So you've got that going.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:59 am

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:22 pm
tarantino wrote:
This just in.

There's likely no sentencing mechanism for for serving English and American prison sentences concurrently.

If I were an American prosecutor, I'd be happy to see Alahverdian make this long stop on his way home.

Get all the witnesses on video, make a full case file, preserve any DNA...

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:08 am

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:22 pm
tarantino wrote:
This just in.

Yeah the extradition lawyer is basically barking up the wrong tree there. The reason why the process is the way it is, is because now if convicted in the UK he will basically serve a sentence here, then be immediately deported to face trial in the US. Essentially one longer incarceration with no break since there is no further appeal (against the extradition). Its that way round to prevent holdups in deporting criminals.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:23 am

Anroth wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:08 am
Yeah the extradition lawyer is basically barking up the wrong tree there. The reason why the process is the way it is, is because now if convicted in the UK he will basically serve a sentence here, then be immediately deported to face trial in the US. Essentially one longer incarceration with no break since there is no further appeal (against the extradition). Its that way round to prevent holdups in deporting criminals.
Yep, sentences in the UK and US can surely only be consecutive. So he could serve time in the UK, and then still only be at the start of any US sentences. Sounds like a win all round (well, except for him, obviously).

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:38 am

This is the legislation would say that he should be deported if convicted of rape or similar and sentenced to a year or more imprisonment for any one offence link

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:08 am

eppur si muove wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:38 am
This is the legislation would say that he should be deported if convicted of rape or similar and sentenced to a year or more imprisonment for any one offence link
Thats the legislation the Government uses when it tries to deport criminals (the ones that make the news are generally to the Caribbean). It gets challenged (and often successfully) under the linked exceptions. There are so many, a good solicitor can usually find one.

Wouldnt need to attempt to apply it in little Nicky's case because his extradition has already been dealt with. Even if convicted in the UK, there are at least 3 of those exceptions that could potentially apply to him.