Somehow Wikipedia Never Learns: The Spoonkymonkey Story

Wikipediocracy blog posts
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Somehow Wikipedia Never Learns: The Spoonkymonkey Story

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:23 am

Instant Noodle wrote:So without Bourrie around to act as her meatpuppet is Rachel Marsden editing her own article now? See edits by this IP from Paris where Marsden now lives
Marsden is legitimately insane.

Strangely enough, I spoke to someone at Simon Fraser who was there when her weird shit went down and the word is that there was a security file on her because she was deemed likely violent.

'A habitual liar who plays the perpetual victim' was this person's characterization of dear Rachel.

An analysis of the harassment case
https://web.archive.org/web/20070608125 ... =pb&id=174

Chock full of Marsden nuttiness.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 am

Vigilant wrote:An analysis of the harassment case
https://web.archive.org/web/20070608125 ... =pb&id=174

Chock full of Marsden nuttiness.
Yikes!

They make a pretty good case against her, but if you ask me, they could have just written "later she would go on to appear as a pundit on Fox News" and saved themselves quite a lot of time.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Don't forget "and would enjoy a warm friendship with the Sole Flounder".
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Now blocked indefinitely via Checkuser for misusing multiple accounts.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Well then, I suppose this calls for a blog post update, though I believe the blog post did predict this phase of the process. One of us will probably get to it during the next few days...

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:36 am

Midsize Jake wrote:Well then, I suppose this calls for a blog post update, though I believe the blog post did predict this phase of the process. One of us will probably get to it during the next few days...
Well, I never got another reply from ArbCom, but then SM asks for a self-imposed block ... and immediately resurrects an old alternative account and carries on editing in the same way. Suicide by Checkuser (everything else would have been stale). No doubt they'll pop up again soon, though now that a greater number of people have got eyes on their favourite articles, it'll be far more difficult for them to fly under the radar.

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:34 pm

So basically, Spoonky was trolled into violating Wikipedia rules and providing a pretext for an indefinite ban. It would have been better had senior admins and Arbcomm done its job and banned him for the right reasons, long-term block evasion and COI editing, rather than wait until he tripped up and took care of the problem himself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:So basically, Spoonky was trolled into violating Wikipedia rules and providing a pretext for an indefinite ban. It would have been better had senior admins and Arbcomm done its job and banned him for the right reasons, long-term block evasion and COI editing, rather than wait until he tripped up and took care of the problem himself.
I was thinking the same thing. He was blocked for "abusing multiple accounts". Retiring one account that had no sanctions against it, and starting back up another, rarely leads to an indefinite block. This guy has been controlling the bios of friends, adversaries and his own on and off for 13 years. At least a couple of dozen arbcom members, checkusers and admins saw the evidence here, on wikipedia and by email. That should have been acknowledged. I think they're afraid of him because he's an attorney.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:37 pm

tarantino wrote:
Instant Noodle wrote:So basically, Spoonky was trolled into violating Wikipedia rules and providing a pretext for an indefinite ban. It would have been better had senior admins and Arbcomm done its job and banned him for the right reasons, long-term block evasion and COI editing, rather than wait until he tripped up and took care of the problem himself.
I was thinking the same thing. He was blocked for "abusing multiple accounts". Retiring one account that had no sanctions against it, and starting back up another, rarely leads to an indefinite block. This guy has been controlling the bios of friends, adversaries and his own on and off for 13 years. At least a couple of dozen arbcom members, checkusers and admins saw the evidence here, on wikipedia and by email. That should have been acknowledged. I think they're afraid of him because he's an attorney.
Disclaimer: I have had zero direct involvement in any of this and have not seen the CU evidence myself.

That being said, I think you've got it wrong. Blocking an attorney is not a big deal. (there's a slight chance some folks might actually get a kick out of it :evilgrin: ) I do believe there was a legitimate concern that it would look like the tail was wagging the dog, so to speak, because of the very public blog post over here, but the lack of an actual sockpuppet investigation ever being filed over there.

Based on what I do know the block seems perfectly justified, as requesting a self block to CYA so you can use a premade sock instead to avoid scrutiny is obviously not ok.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:51 pm

It was brought up on BLPN more than a month ago, and at SPI a couple of weeks ago. Bbb23 deleted both of them, one for privacy/outing reasons, and the other as vandalism. Now, both threads were started by users who "weren't there to contribute to the encyclopedia", but clearly Bbb23 knows who Spoonkymonkey is. He's known since at least 2015.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Ok, I have to admit I didn't know about the deleted stuff.

I do know that we've gotten a number of emails from various people about it on the functionaries list, I recall one that actually went out of it's way to claim they were not contacting us in response to the blog post but rather they did their own independent investigation that just happened to coincide perfectly with it being published...

I din't dig into it too deeply either out of the same aforementioned concern, but also because complicated sock cases just aren't really what I do. It's odd, I can review username reports or AFDs all day, but I generally find SPI boring.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 pm

Someone really needs to scrutinize Bbb23's role in all this. At best he's lazy and inept, at worst he was actively protecting someone he knew was a sockpuppeteer and COI editor.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:Someone really needs to scrutinize Bbb23's role in all this. At best he's lazy and inept, at worst he was actively protecting someone he knew was a sockpuppeteer and COI editor.
If he's lazy and inept, so are quite a few other people. Wikipedia is not a one-man band.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Instant Noodle wrote:Someone really needs to scrutinize Bbb23's role in all this. At best he's lazy and inept, at worst he was actively protecting someone he knew was a sockpuppeteer and COI editor.
If he's lazy and inept, so are quite a few other people. Wikipedia is not a one-man band.
Is this a raw 'fallacy of the excluded middle' I see before me?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Poetlister wrote:
It's no secret I don't like nor have any respect for Bbb23 but there is zero chance he is covering for a sockmaster. He would Checkuser his own mother to justify another block.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Is this a raw 'fallacy of the excluded middle' I see before me?
No.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:01 am

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Instant Noodle wrote:Spoonks is now asking for a permanent block:
Please place a permanent block on this account, with the notation that it is something I asked for. I have better things to do with my time than be bullied and harassed on Wikipedia. Please also archive my talk page. You might want to keep this in mind: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Researc ... nd_Decline, You might also want to consider the well-known sexism of Wikipedia, and take a good, long look at the shaming of Rachel Marsden for more than a decade. Goodbye. Spoonkymonkey (talk) 19:56, 26 March 2019 (UTC)
I expect he will soon produce a new sockpuppet or revive an old one.
He'll be extremely easy to spot. Just look for someone obsessed with Rachel Marsden, Jesse Brown, and Mark Bourrie.
And a week later,
Jesse Brown and Canadaland should be removed from the NewsMedia Council
April 2, 2019 by Mark Bourrie
(This is the first of a three-part assessment of Canadaland.)

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 am

So let me get this straight. This obvious sock master was the subject of a WO blog post and then a bunch of hangers ons (presumably from reading the blog) start fucking around with the sock and their favorite articles and then bbb23 starts protecting the sock? Do I have this correct?

The Garbage Scow
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Master

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:So let me get this straight. This obvious sock master was the subject of a WO blog post and then a bunch of hangers ons (presumably from reading the blog) start fucking around with the sock and their favorite articles and then bbb23 starts protecting the sock? Do I have this correct?
That's how it looks to me. Someone even posted a link to the blog post on the sock's talk page. Bbb23 was either refusing to act out of pure spite or protecting Bourrie.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Bourrie/Spoonkeymonkey appears to be back now as an IP, editing his favorite subjects

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Wow. Bbb23 needs to be frogmarched to ArbCom. It’s high time that “I don’t have to act” shit ends.

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Mark Bourrie appears to have learned nothing from being banned: this SPI shows that an account that probably belongs to him is signing comments on his own article's talk page as "Mark Bourrie" - here's the link to the SPI: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... onkymonkey[/link] and the suspected sock is GoldLilydog (T-C-L). He also appears to be editing as 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:7034:60A4:AE46:9091 (T-C-L) currently.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Katie wrote:Mark Bourrie appears to have learned nothing from being banned: this SPI shows that an account that probably belongs to him is signing comments on his own article's talk page as "Mark Bourrie" - here's the link to the SPI: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... onkymonkey[/link] and the suspected sock is GoldLilydog (T-C-L). He also appears to be editing as 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:7034:60A4:AE46:9091 (T-C-L) currently.
He's not exactly the first banned editor to return as a sock, but it's clearly extremely daft to flaunt it so brazenly.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Katie wrote:Mark Bourrie appears to have learned nothing from being banned: this SPI shows that an account that probably belongs to him is signing comments on his own article's talk page as "Mark Bourrie" - here's the link to the SPI: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... onkymonkey[/link] and the suspected sock is GoldLilydog (T-C-L). He also appears to be editing as 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:7034:60A4:AE46:9091 (T-C-L) currently.
So he smartened up and installed a user agent switcher, or is using a mobile device instead of a computer. It's a pretty clear case of WP:DUCK, though.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Here's an article that implies he's heavily addicted to social media, and he even discusses his own behavior in the same vein. No wonder he can't stop socking

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Is anyone going to request an SPI or are they scared Bbb23 will target them as a result?

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:41 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:Here's an article that implies he's heavily addicted to social media, and he even discusses his own behavior in the same vein. No wonder he can't stop socking
Why this Ottawa lawyer is quitting social media:
On New Year's Eve, the Ottawa lawyer pinned a tweet to the top of his Twitter page, informing his 4,000-plus followers of his resolution to close all his social media accounts.
He somehow got a national news article written at the beginning of the year about his quitting Twitter - and he hasn't even managed that - still tweeting quite heavily https://twitter.com/MarkBourrie

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 pm

- This is very obviously him trying to get unblocked on Wikipedia by contacting an admin who likes him.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:Is anyone going to request an SPI or are they scared Bbb23 will target them as a result?
There's one out there Bbb23 did the check and said inconclusive, so now it's down to behavioral evidence. Based on the average time for those to get done his latest sock might be blocked by the end of the summer.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:He somehow got a national news article written at the beginning of the year about his quitting Twitter - and he hasn't even managed that - still tweeting quite heavily https://twitter.com/MarkBourrie
Including this beauty:
Mark Bourrie wrote:Are any of my Twitter people Wikipedia admins? If so, please DM me.
Meanwhile on WP, he seems to be getting increasingly upset:
You appear to be editing the Mark Bourrie page as some punitive exercise for something that happened eight years ago, and something you speculate happened 13 years ago. Let it go. I testified I edited the page in summer 2010 to remove vandalism. Keep in mind that Duffy was not appointed to the Senate until January 2009 and the expense stories did not appear until 2013. Most of the issues Duffy had involved YouTube, not Wikipedia. Mainly, he did not like his picture. Anyway, this appears to be your payback, along with an attempt to minimize me and my achievements to support Jesse Brown. Hardly conforms with Wikipedia's Neutral Point of View and Biography of Living People policies. 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:99F7:DB71:6772:B707 (talk) 16:06, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
I have every right to come on this page and talk about the smear job you're doing. You would find my alternative solution to be much less pleasant. Your edits are obviously in retaliation, are not in good faith, and should be reverted. You have taken down everything positive about me, added nonsense from Christopher Waddell, and torqued the entry. You should take very, very careful note of what I do for a living and realize that I am, at this point, foregoing my rights to take more serious action in an attempt to settle this now. I am posting under my own name, trying to make a point with someone who hides behind anonymity. If Wikipedia was really serious, if it had adult supervision, everyone would be verified and post under their own name. That said, I have contacted Wikipedia's senior management and its arbitration department asking for help. 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:99F7:DB71:6772:B707 (talk) 18:10, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
https://www.canadalandshow.com/canadala ... e-writing/ This puts the Duffy material into perspective. I was writing a book when I tried to help Duffy, who sat beside me in the press gallery for years. I had been teaching in Montreal for years (a fact removed from the entry) and was a member of the gallery to have access to the Library of Parliament so I could turn my PhD thesis into a book. Most of my published writing at that time was on historical issues and press censorship, I was not working as a reporter at the time, and Waddell, who had been approached by Canadaland for a quote, did not know what he was talking about. Recent edits to this page have removed almost everything positive -- the success of books I'v written, the four National Magazine Award nominations (including the award I won), other awards and recognition, the prestigious newspapers and magazines I wrote for during 30 years of journalism, and framed me as a hack. This entry is not being edited in good faith. It violates your neutral point of view and you biography of living persons policies. This page and archived versions of it are filled with defamatory content. -- Mark Bourrie — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:99F7:DB71:6772:B707 (talk) 13:00, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
A couple of not so thinly veiled legal threats thrown in for good measure.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:A couple of not so thinly veiled legal threats thrown in for good measure.
"Put my vanicruft/puffery back in or I'll sue!!"

Disgruntled haddock
Critic

Unread post by Disgruntled haddock » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 pm

The guy cited a Google search for one claim. :facepalm:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:05 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
This page and archived versions of it are filled with defamatory content. -- Mark Bourrie — Preceding unsigned comment added by 2607:FEA8:C360:C3:99F7:DB71:6772:B707 (talk) 13:00, 18 June 2019 (UTC)
A couple of not so thinly veiled legal threats thrown in for good measure.
I think that people have been blocked under WP:NLT just for saying that things are defamatory.

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:48 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:
Instant Noodle wrote:Is anyone going to request an SPI or are they scared Bbb23 will target them as a result?
There's one out there Bbb23 did the check and said inconclusive, so now it's down to behavioral evidence. Based on the average time for those to get done his latest sock might be blocked by the end of the summer.
He's been banned (again) for socking. Now he's offering to represent any Canadian who wants to sue Wikipedia, pro bono.

Katie
Gregarious

Unread post by Katie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:14 pm

He really doesn't know when to quit, does he? Somehow, I suspect if I lived in Canada and wanted to sue Wikipedia, my first choice would not be a lawyer who doesn't even know how to sock properly and was caught blatantly self-promoting himself and rubbishing his enemies for over 13 years on Wikipedia, even if he is doing it pro bono.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 pm

Katie wrote:He really doesn't know when to quit, does he? Somehow, I suspect if I lived in Canada and wanted to sue Wikipedia, my first choice would not be a lawyer who doesn't even know how to sock properly and was caught blatantly self-promoting himself and rubbishing his enemies for over 13 years on Wikipedia, even if he is doing it pro bono.
Could be worse...

You could go all hillbilly pro se like Ah Been Droppedonmahnoggin

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Katie wrote:He really doesn't know when to quit, does he? Somehow, I suspect if I lived in Canada and wanted to sue Wikipedia, my first choice would not be a lawyer who doesn't even know how to sock properly and was caught blatantly self-promoting himself and rubbishing his enemies for over 13 years on Wikipedia, even if he is doing it pro bono.
At least he some vague idea of how Wikipedia functions.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh make no mistake, good old Mark knows how Wikipedia works. He's had accounts there almost as long as I have. He's just playing stupid. Well, really not just playing.

Here's a link to his offer of Pro Bono work for anyone wishing to file a lolsuit.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:04 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:Oh make no mistake, good old Mark knows how Wikipedia works. He's had accounts there almost as long as I have. He's just playing stupid. Well, really not just playing.

Here's a link to his offer of Pro Bono work for anyone wishing to file a lolsuit.
Presumably the WMF would try to insist that any case is heard in California. Would they get away with that?

mendaliv
Habitué
Wikipedia User: mendaliv

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Poetlister wrote:
The Garbage Scow wrote:Oh make no mistake, good old Mark knows how Wikipedia works. He's had accounts there almost as long as I have. He's just playing stupid. Well, really not just playing.

Presumably the WMF would try to insist that any case is heard in California. Would they get away with that?
A quick search turns up Douez v Facebook, a 2017 Supreme Court of Canada case that let a class action suit against Facebook proceed in the Canadian court system rather than getting kicked to California per the forum selection clause in their TOU.

I'm not sure what the current state of their law is or if this has been extended to all tech TOUs, but if I saw this precedent from a U.S. court I'd probably make it the centerpiece of a resistance to a transfer.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:

No, they might get away with that in the US but not internationally as long as the litigant could reasonably argue that the damage is occurring at least in part in the jurisdiction in which they are suing. IE if someone who lives in Ontario and files a lawsuit against in Wikipedia the court would likely find it has jurisdiction because the damage is occurring in Ontario. However, if someone is venue shopping and is just filing suit in a jurisdiction they don't have strong ties to because they think the laws are favourable then the court might find they don't have jurisdiction. (It depends on the country - UK courts often appear to have been quite willing to allow people with loose ties to the UK to sue parties that have no or loose ties to the UK - hence South Park's "I'll sue you in England" joke.) One could get a judgement against Wikipedia in a court outside the US but the question that would be whether a judgment for damages could be enforced inside the US. Probably not. But if the WMF has any assets in Canada or the UK or another country in which a lawsuit has been filed they could be garnished to satisfy the judgment. If someone got a court order against Wikipedia in a particular country Wikipedia would probably respect that at least by blocking the page in question from appearing in that country (although I think they'd probably take down the page entirely or remove the offending passages if there was a court order in Canada or the EU requiring them to do so.)

Instant Noodle
Critic

Unread post by Instant Noodle » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:49 pm

US law insulates ISPs and platform owners from being considered "publishers" for the purpose of lawsuits over content but other countries don't provide that protection to ISPs and have ruled in the past that a platform like Facebook is liable for defamatory content if they don't remove it after having been made aware of its presence.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Instant Noodle wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

No, they might get away with that in the US but not internationally as long as the litigant could reasonably argue that the damage is occurring at least in part in the jurisdiction in which they are suing. IE if someone who lives in Ontario and files a lawsuit against in Wikipedia the court would likely find it has jurisdiction because the damage is occurring in Ontario. However, if someone is venue shopping and is just filing suit in a jurisdiction they don't have strong ties to because they think the laws are favourable then the court might find they don't have jurisdiction. (It depends on the country - UK courts often appear to have been quite willing to allow people with loose ties to the UK to sue parties that have no or loose ties to the UK - hence South Park's "I'll sue you in England" joke.) One could get a judgement against Wikipedia in a court outside the US but the question that would be whether a judgment for damages could be enforced inside the US. Probably not. But if the WMF has any assets in Canada or the UK or another country in which a lawsuit has been filed they could be garnished to satisfy the judgment. If someone got a court order against Wikipedia in a particular country Wikipedia would probably respect that at least by blocking the page in question from appearing in that country (although I think they'd probably take down the page entirely or remove the offending passages if there was a court order in Canada or the EU requiring them to do so.)
In the U.S., when we're not talking about forum selection clauses, the way this usually works is in terms of personal jurisdiction—whether it comports with due process to haul the defendant into that jurisdiction's courts. Few courts in the U.S. have a geographical or territorial dimension to their subject matter jurisdiction. There is also venue, but that's different from forum, and if I recall correctly, not of jurisdictional dimension. Thus, it is possible to litigate something that took place overseas in a U.S. court provided you can get personal jurisdiction over the defendants.

What the location of the incident precipitating the lawsuit can affect is something called "choice of law". For instance, which jurisdiction's laws (including case law) are used to interpret contract provisions? Or to determine whether particular substantive defenses are recognized? The process for figuring out which law applies is complicated; there are whole treatises dedicated to this. This is also an issue with international litigation, where I believe it's called private international law.

What else can happen in U.S. courts is a motion to dismiss for forum non conveniens, which is basically what you're talking about Instant Noodle: The forum where the suit was filed isn't appropriate for one reason or another, even though the suit isn't jurisdictionally barred, and there's another, more appropriate forum available to hear the suit. This is one possible outcome where someone's trying to litigate with foreign defendants over something that happened overseas. Forum non conveniens tends to be pretty discretionary, as I recall, so it's not something you like to try for if you can help it. You'd rather get the suit dismissed entirely on jurisdictional grounds or mandatory grounds.
“It is a fair summary of history to say that the safeguards of liberty have frequently been forged in controversies involving not very nice people.” United States v. Rabinowitz, 339 U.S. 56, 68, 69 (1950) (Frankfurter, J. dissenting).

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:57 pm

If he was somehow forced to California I'm assuming it would no longer be Pro Bono, since he's presumably not licensed to practice law there. He'd have to hire someone.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm

The Garbage Scow wrote:If he was somehow forced to California I'm assuming it would no longer be Pro Bono, since he's presumably not licensed to practice law there. He'd have to hire someone.
Unless he got pro bono California local counsel to associate with, which is possible. I don’t know if a foreign lawyer can do pro hac vice, though tbh I wouldn’t want to do that in California. There are so many weird procedural traps, I’d want someone more than a rubber stamp to work with.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:17 am

One legal theory would be to sue Wikimedia Canada and as a part of the requested relief seek a court order that Wikimedia Canada make a set of reparative edits and refill his sock drawer.

Of course, WMF would jump in to defend Wikimedia Canada.

One interesting difference between the Federal Courts in Canada and in the United States is that Canada limits discovery more. I was involved in a case that was filed in both courts at about the same time. The Canadian case was tried and decided in seven years while the US case continued to be bogged down in discovery with no trial date in sight.

I am waiting for the day that a court casts a skeptical eye upon the current structure -- separate charitable organizations in each country feeding money to a US-based non-profit which divorces itself from the editorial control and operation of the eighth largest website in the world. This is like the large taxi cab fleet operator that incorporates a separate organization to own each taxi cab. If you sue for damages, the assets and remedies are limited to just that taxi.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:00 pm

Wikimedia Canada has little power over Wikipedia. It cannot overturn a SanFranBan, and there would be a riot if for example an officer of Wikimedia Canada undeleted an article following an AfD or unblocked someone banned by ArbCom or a community discussion. I expect Wikimedia Canada would argue that there is no point in suing it because it is not responsible and cannot guarntee to provide the necessary relief.

mendaliv
Habitué

Unread post by mendaliv » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

eagle wrote:Of course, WMF would jump in to defend Wikimedia Canada.
I doubt they would. They might pay for lawyers but they wouldn't intervene. BUT, you do raise an interesting point...
One interesting difference between the Federal Courts in Canada and in the United States is that Canada limits discovery more. I was involved in a case that was filed in both courts at about the same time. The Canadian case was tried and decided in seven years while the US case continued to be bogged down in discovery with no trial date in sight.
The last time I did continuing education, I watched a video lecture about the Canadian legal system for American lawyers, which talked about some differences, but now that I think of it, there may have been some situations where playing things out in the Canadian courts first might affect the outcome of proceedings in the American courts. I don't remember the suggested scenario, but I want to say that the lynchpin of it was that evidence produced in one proceeding was admissible in another, or that there might have been some form of issue preclusion or abstention doctrine due to ongoing proceedings in the foreign court.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Looks like Mark Bourrie and Warren Kinsella are still feuding about something. From Kinsella's blog:

Bush league bush runner writes in

Mark Bourrie made a criminal complaint against me. Seriously.

The Garbage Scow
Habitué

Unread post by The Garbage Scow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:Looks like Mark Bourrie and Warren Kinsella are still feuding about something. From Kinsella's blog:

Bush league bush runner writes in

Mark Bourrie made a criminal complaint against me. Seriously.
Bourrie sounds like a hack ambulance chaser the way he throws around words like "libel" and "slander" and attacks people. I also noticed that his GoldLilydog (T-C-L) sock was blocked July 1.