Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Wikipediocracy blog posts
Beeblebrox
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Nihonjoe Has Been Naughty

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:26 pm

After some back-and-forth on the subject, Joe did manage to get the template editor user right restored, by an arb no less, as template editing was not part of the reason for the desysop. link
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:42 pm

Like a meth addict scrabbling around on the slippery linoleum for a 'rock' he dropped behind the toilet in the last men's room stall.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:21 pm

It's all very "meh" to me.
:shrug:
Editing protected templates isn't something normally going to be impacted by a COI, so it's pretty low-risk. The main argument against him having it back was that he didn't immediately need it, not that he couldn't be trusted with it.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm

This was probably predictable: diff

I am just the messenger and intend to convey neither approval nor disapproval
Last edited by Zoloft on Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed diff tag

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:28 pm

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
WP:CIR would like a word.

Just take all the bits from all the fucking mouthbreathers who started and supported that thread.

This. This right here is why I refuse to stop naming these little shitbags.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm
Elinruby wrote:

oh it's not going anywhere. It was a matter of time before someone made this point however

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:36 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Elinruby wrote:

oh it's not going anywhere. It was a matter of time before someone made this point however
It's a dumb point made by a bully in an attempt to silence someone that spoke their mind.

Fuck. Them. All.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Elinruby wrote:

It's a dumb point made by a bully in an attempt to silence someone that spoke their mind.

Fuck. Them. All.
Is Joe Roe a bully? I haven't had dealings with the man. In any event, Dennis Brown does not come across as fragile. It is however a case study in the the limitations of the argument that "there can't be anything wrong with that because I have done that." Kind of lie the problem with self-deprecating humor. As soon as somebody agrees with you it is checkmate.

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 pm

Elinruby wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:50 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 pm
Elinruby wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Elinruby wrote:

Fuck. Them. All.
Is Joe Roe a bully? I haven't had dealings with the man. In any event, Dennis Brown does not come across as fragile. It is however a case study in the the limitations of the argument that "there can't be anything wrong with that because I have done that." Kind of lie the problem with self-deprecating humor. As soon as somebody agrees with you it is checkmate.
I see Floquenbeam has already closed it, which is probably a good idea. I disagree with the rationale that nobody ever goes to ANI unless they want somebody's head, however, but I don't care to argue that over this particular post.

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:08 pm

ANI wrote:I would love, just once, to see one thread at AN/ANI that did not result in someone suggesting blocks, bans, boomerangs, or desysops. --Floquenbeam (talk) 15:29, 23 April 2024 (UTC)
Like the one you just squashed because it did not do that?
I am adherent of Hanlon's Razor, so I will assume good faith in which case the logical assumption is that Floquenbeam is braindead.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 pm

rnu wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:08 pm
ANI wrote:I would love, just once, to see one thread at AN/ANI that did not result in someone suggesting blocks, bans, boomerangs, or desysops. --Floquenbeam (talk) 15:29, 23 April 2024 (UTC)
Like the one you just squashed because it did not do that?
I am adherent of Hanlon's Razor, so I will assume good faith in which case the logical assumption is that Floquenbeam is braindead.
:rotfl: It's all pretty dumb, true

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 am

In this case I do agree with Floq that the thread was an attempt to seek some sort of sanction. Starting a thread on AN/ANI is always an attempt at a sanction, whether or not you explicitly call for one in the OP or not. As a few users there pointed out, if you wanted to discuss Dennis Brown's opinion on its merits and have a discussion about policy, the best place to do so was at COIN or WT:COI. A thread at ANI (or in this case, AN, which does not meaningfully differ from ANI despite people saying it does) is always going to be about user conduct and going to seek some sort of sanction against them. Phrasing your request as "just asking questions" like Joe Roe did doesn't change that.
Always improving...

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:26 am

Konveyor Belt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:15 am
In this case I do agree with Floq that the thread was an attempt to seek some sort of sanction. Starting a thread on AN/ANI is always an attempt at a sanction, whether or not you explicitly call for one in the OP or not. As a few users there pointed out, if you wanted to discuss Dennis Brown's opinion on its merits and have a discussion about policy, the best place to do so was at COIN or WT:COI. A thread at ANI (or in this case, AN, which does not meaningfully differ from ANI despite people saying it does) is always going to be about user conduct and going to seek some sort of sanction against them. Phrasing your request as "just asking questions" like Joe Roe did doesn't change that.
I agree that ANI is probably not the best venue for the discussion, but Floquenbeam's closing statement should certainly be sufficient to have them declared braindead.
Going from "people shouldn't bring things to ANI unless they're asking for sanctions" in one sentence to "I wish people would bring things to ANI without asking for sanctions" in the next is art, braindead art, but art nonetheless.
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:37 am

Some of us live on the other side of the globe, and slept during most of the buffoonery. The claims of "non-trivial" amounts of stock were absurd, since I never said I owned non-trivial amounts. I was intentionally vague because it isn't anyone's business. The concept of an absurd de minimis example are lost on some. Again, I can only conclude that Joe's reference to blocking me here, and then dragging out an ANI case, are to try to silence me, which won't work on me, but it might work on others, which is what made me question his competency to be an admin. He knew I only had a few minor edits to AT&T, but the value of dragging someone through the mud wasn't to get action on me, it was to silence critics of his unique interpretation. Even above, he seems worried that others will cite my example "this can't be paid editing, because Dennis Brown is doing it!", so it seems the ends justify the means in his eyes. As for being a "coward", that is an amazing display of gaslighting Joe. I'm not trying to silence debate, Joe, but you clearly are and have made it personal. Dennis Brown - 2¢ 20:17, 23 April 2024 (UTC)
Joe Roe should resign his bits.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 am

Elinruby wrote:
Is Joe Roe a bully?
He participates in the Wikipedia drama boards, so assume bully until proven otherwise seems like a good heuristic.

A lot of people participate in Wikipedia pretty much entirely because they want to lord over other people.

Dennis Brown
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Dennis Brown
Actual Name: Dennis Brown

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:25 pm
Dennis Brown wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:43 am
We don't want Arbcom making new policy, that is not their job. Their job is to arbitrate protracted problems that the community CAN'T solve, and find solutions that are equitable and put the interests of the Project first, using existing policy as a basis. Policy changes should happen by consensus of the entire community, not a handful of people that passed the low bar of becoming an Arb. There is no reason to believe that the community can't handle changing the policy. My entire input at Arb was to make sure they DIDN'T start making policy by fiat. I never once spoke as to Nijonjoe's innocence or guilt.
Your turn to run for Arb, Dennis.

t
I'm flattered, but uninterested. Honestly, many days, being an admin is more than I want. I can't imagine the stress of trying to be an Arb and handling all that crap. I don't envy anyone who does it. The other consideration is my personality type, and the same reason I wouldn't make a good Crat. I tend to be more of an advocate for things, rather than a disinterested 3rd party, so I'm not convinced I would be the right person for the job, even if I wanted the job. Besides, I have enough on my plate in the real world, and can't devote the time to doing it properly.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” - Douglas Adams
"My patience is formidable.... But it is not infinite." - Scorpius (Farscape)

Elinruby
Habitué

Unread post by Elinruby » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:18 am
Elinruby wrote:
Is Joe Roe a bully?
He participates in the Wikipedia drama boards, so assume bully until proven otherwise seems like a good heuristic.

A lot of people participate in Wikipedia pretty much entirely because they want to lord over other people.
Alright, thank you, then where does assuming that get us? That raising this issue therefore constitutes bullying? Necessarily? I think it actually might, mind you, in this instance, based on some comments.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 am

Dennis Brown wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Dennis Brown wrote:
We don't want Arbcom making new policy, that is not their job. Their job is to arbitrate protracted problems that the community CAN'T solve, and find solutions that are equitable and put the interests of the Project first, using existing policy as a basis. Policy changes should happen by consensus of the entire community, not a handful of people that passed the low bar of becoming an Arb. There is no reason to believe that the community can't handle changing the policy. My entire input at Arb was to make sure they DIDN'T start making policy by fiat. I never once spoke as to Nijonjoe's innocence or guilt.

t
I'm flattered, but uninterested. Honestly, many days, being an admin is more than I want. I can't imagine the stress of trying to be an Arb and handling all that crap. I don't envy anyone who does it. The other consideration is my personality type, and the same reason I wouldn't make a good Crat. I tend to be more of an advocate for things, rather than a disinterested 3rd party, so I'm not convinced I would be the right person for the job, even if I wanted the job. Besides, I have enough on my plate in the real world, and can't devote the time to doing it properly.
Hey Dennis - AT&T stock is a solid buy today, 6% dividends expected, if undervalued.

Better polish those articles now!
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Jester
Contributor

Unread post by Jester » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:12 pm

C&B wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:39 am
Dennis Brown wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Dennis Brown wrote:

t
Hey Dennis - AT&T stock is a solid buy today, 6% dividends expected, if undervalued.

Better polish those articles now!
As an AT & T shareholder, Dennis did absolutely nothing wrong, both in terms of Wikipedia and investments.
May your light shine / And the little birds, /Bring joy with their singing, / They are welcome to me

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 am

Hi Joe, I've been away a couple of years. What's going on, you still 'crat and all that? The Rambling Man (T-C-L) (Been a while, I know......) 7:59 pm, Today (UTC−4)
LMAO

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 am

Wikiguy.DC wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:25 am
Hi Joe, I've been away a couple of years. What's going on, you still 'crat and all that? The Rambling Man (T-C-L) (Been a while, I know......) 7:59 pm, Today (UTC−4)
LMAO
Harsh

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 am
Harsh
... but fair.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:53 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 am
Harsh
... but fair.
Simmer down, Judge Dredd.