Last visit was: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

[ 13 posts ] 
Paid-editing companies specializing in WP 
Global Moderators

Wikipedia User: EricBarbour
Unread post Paid-editing companies specializing in WP
Has anyone devised a list of known companies that specialize in WP editing?
Leaving out general "reputation management", PR and SEO outfits.

So far I've got
MyWikiBiz
WikiStrategies/Forsyth
Wikipedia Writing
WikiExperts/Konanykhin
The amazing David King

Any others?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 am WWW
Postmaster General

Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs
Unread post Re: Paid-editing companies specializing in WP
William Beutler (Beutler Ink / Wiki Relations)

The Writers For Hire, Inc. (Wikipedia is not a primary front for them, though).

Where are you going with this, Eric, if anywhere?

Who is "Wikipedia Writing"? Would be helpful if you provided a link for each.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm WWW
Site Admin

Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
BNB Websites

Eastwick.com
Recent post

WikiPR

Legal Morning

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm
Global Moderators

thekohser wrote:
Where are you going with this, Eric, if anywhere?

I'm going to describe as many of these firms in the book as possible. And point out the ones that have insiders associated.

Quote:
Who is "Wikipedia Writing"? Would be helpful if you provided a link for each.

http://wikipediawriters.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... s_to_do_it
OMG OUTING!!!

I might add that Beutler created the article about his previous employer, New Media Strategies (T-H-L), openly, and was not harassed for it. Although there were a few aborted attempts to delete it. Also note this, on the article talkpage:
Quote:
These guys did indeed engage in Koch brothers whitewashing (wikipedia's had a huge sockpuppetting discussion about this). They also got canned for Tweeting a bad word (which was the last straw as far as Chrysler was concerned). What source would be good enough, chzz, if thinkprogress isn't? These are going to come back to haunt these guys -- NMS I mean -- so it would be nice to see just what is good enough to be cited here. kctipton (talk) 14:12, 18 March 2011 (UTC)

For information, Beutler is a Wikiproject Oregon member, and close friend of Pete Forsyth.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 pm WWW
Global Moderators

So, I just found WikiPR. Do any of those guys ring a bell? They've been spamming businesses to edit WP articles for years.
Why does the name Darius Fisher sound familiar?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 pm WWW
Postmaster General

Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs
EricBarbour wrote:
So, I just found WikiPR. Do any of those guys ring a bell? They've been spamming businesses to edit WP articles for years.

Andreas and I were sniffing them out back in August 2012. Based on one of their website's "case studies", I was able to figure out in about 3 minutes which was one of their WP user accounts. I had a short e-mail exchange with Michael French, Fisher's business partner.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 am WWW
Global Moderators

thekohser wrote:
Andreas and I were sniffing them out back in August 2012. Based on one of their website's "case studies", I was able to figure out in about 3 minutes which was one of their WP user accounts. I had a short e-mail exchange with Michael French, Fisher's business partner.

That's always gonna be a major problem with advertising for paid editing of WP -- it's helpful to use case studies, or at least mention
"satisfied customers". After which the SPI twits could figure out the socks/SPIs used. (Admittedly they often don't, being a bunch of
ha-ha-"volunteers"-ha-ha who often have personal axes to grind, and a few of them are after the same clients. But you get the idea.)

If the PR and "reputation management" industry, such as it is, really cared about this, they'd bribe Jimbo or twist his arm somehow,
to get the whole thing reformed. Instead we have this broken, insane mess, that crawls and flops along, year after year.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:42 am WWW
Global Moderators

Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe
thekohser wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:

Yeah. And then they deleted the case study from their website. :)

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 am

Wikipedia User: WWB
Bill Beutler here—longtime listener, first-time caller. Two points of clarification:

• I've only met Pete Forsyth once, at an edit-a-thon he organized here in DC. Seems like a fine fellow, but I hardly know him.

• I stand by the work I did for Koch Industries during my time at NMS 100%. This was the pre-Bright Line era, but even then I went to Talk first and was especially careful around topics relating to environmental and safety issues. I left the firm at the end of July 2010, and haven't followed the article since.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 am
Garrulous

WWB wrote:
Bill Beutler here—longtime listener, first-time caller. Two points of clarification:

• I've only met Pete Forsyth once, at an edit-a-thon he organized here in DC. Seems like a fine fellow, but I hardly know him.

• I stand by the work I did for Koch Industries during my time at NMS 100%. This was the pre-Bright Line era, but even then I went to Talk first and was especially careful around topics relating to environmental and safety issues. I left the firm at the end of July 2010, and haven't followed the article since.

Welcome, WWB.

I watched you recently on Wikipedia Weekly #101. Your comments were interesting, particularly the one at 7 minutes 30 seconds.

video: show

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 am
Global Moderators

WWB wrote:

Thanks, Bill. Yes, you were a lot more careful than most paid editors. Not that it helped in your dealings with Wikipedians.

I'm writing this subject up for our book about Wikipedia's history. Might need your help later. Obviously I have a somewhat incomplete view of it.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 am WWW
Global Moderators

Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe
WWB wrote:

Welcome.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:17 am

Wikipedia User: WWB
Thanks, all.

@tarantino—I had to go back and look to remember what I'd said; I'm afraid I don't have much more to add at the moment, but I think it's an interesting topic. And I'm still very skeptical that the attorney-plaintiff would not be considered a limited-purpose public figure.

@EricBarbour—Actually, most of my on-wiki interactions while representing clients are cordial and constructive. I've had the occasional disagreement or hostile editor, but more often the difficulty is simply finding an editor to look at something for me. "There is no deadline", after all. I'd be happy to discuss more off-forum, if you'd like.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 pm
 [ 13 posts ]