Paid-editing companies specializing in WP

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
EricBarbour

kołdry

Paid-editing companies specializing in WP

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:31 am

Has anyone devised a list of known companies that specialize in WP editing?
Leaving out general "reputation management", PR and SEO outfits.

So far I've got
MyWikiBiz
WikiStrategies/Forsyth
Wikipedia Writing
WikiExperts/Konanykhin
The amazing David King

Any others?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Paid-editing companies specializing in WP

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:26 pm

William Beutler (Beutler Ink / Wiki Relations)

The Writers For Hire, Inc. (Wikipedia is not a primary front for them, though).

Where are you going with this, Eric, if anywhere?

Who is "Wikipedia Writing"? Would be helpful if you provided a link for each.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:13 pm

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 pm

thekohser wrote:Where are you going with this, Eric, if anywhere?
I'm going to describe as many of these firms in the book as possible. And point out the ones that have insiders associated.
Who is "Wikipedia Writing"? Would be helpful if you provided a link for each.
http://wikipediawriters.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... s_to_do_it
OMG OUTING!!!

I might add that Beutler created the article about his previous employer, New Media Strategies (T-H-L), openly, and was not harassed for it. Although there were a few aborted attempts to delete it. Also note this, on the article talkpage:
These guys did indeed engage in Koch brothers whitewashing (wikipedia's had a huge sockpuppetting discussion about this). They also got canned for Tweeting a bad word (which was the last straw as far as Chrysler was concerned). What source would be good enough, chzz, if thinkprogress isn't? These are going to come back to haunt these guys -- NMS I mean -- so it would be nice to see just what is good enough to be cited here. kctipton (talk) 14:12, 18 March 2011 (UTC)
For information, Beutler is a Wikiproject Oregon member, and close friend of Pete Forsyth.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 pm

So, I just found WikiPR. Do any of those guys ring a bell? They've been spamming businesses to edit WP articles for years.
Why does the name Darius Fisher sound familiar?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:10 am

EricBarbour wrote:So, I just found WikiPR. Do any of those guys ring a bell? They've been spamming businesses to edit WP articles for years.
Andreas and I were sniffing them out back in August 2012. Based on one of their website's "case studies", I was able to figure out in about 3 minutes which was one of their WP user accounts. I had a short e-mail exchange with Michael French, Fisher's business partner.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:42 am

thekohser wrote:Andreas and I were sniffing them out back in August 2012. Based on one of their website's "case studies", I was able to figure out in about 3 minutes which was one of their WP user accounts. I had a short e-mail exchange with Michael French, Fisher's business partner.
That's always gonna be a major problem with advertising for paid editing of WP -- it's helpful to use case studies, or at least mention
"satisfied customers". After which the SPI twits could figure out the socks/SPIs used. (Admittedly they often don't, being a bunch of
ha-ha-"volunteers"-ha-ha who often have personal axes to grind, and a few of them are after the same clients. But you get the idea.)

If the PR and "reputation management" industry, such as it is, really cared about this, they'd bribe Jimbo or twist his arm somehow,
to get the whole thing reformed. Instead we have this broken, insane mess, that crawls and flops along, year after year.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:35 am

thekohser wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:So, I just found WikiPR. Do any of those guys ring a bell? They've been spamming businesses to edit WP articles for years.
Andreas and I were sniffing them out back in August 2012. Based on one of their website's "case studies", I was able to figure out in about 3 minutes which was one of their WP user accounts. I had a short e-mail exchange with Michael French, Fisher's business partner.
Yeah. And then they deleted the case study from their website. :)

WWB
Wikipedia User: WWB

Unread post by WWB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 am

Bill Beutler here—longtime listener, first-time caller. Two points of clarification:
  • I've only met Pete Forsyth once, at an edit-a-thon he organized here in DC. Seems like a fine fellow, but I hardly know him.
  • I stand by the work I did for Koch Industries during my time at NMS 100%. This was the pre-Bright Line era, but even then I went to Talk first and was especially careful around topics relating to environmental and safety issues. I left the firm at the end of July 2010, and haven't followed the article since.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 am

WWB wrote:Bill Beutler here—longtime listener, first-time caller. Two points of clarification:
  • I've only met Pete Forsyth once, at an edit-a-thon he organized here in DC. Seems like a fine fellow, but I hardly know him.
  • I stand by the work I did for Koch Industries during my time at NMS 100%. This was the pre-Bright Line era, but even then I went to Talk first and was especially careful around topics relating to environmental and safety issues. I left the firm at the end of July 2010, and haven't followed the article since.
Welcome, WWB.

I watched you recently on Wikipedia Weekly #101. Your comments were interesting, particularly the one at 7 minutes 30 seconds.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 am

WWB wrote:Bill Beutler here—longtime listener, first-time caller. Two points of clarification:
Thanks, Bill. Yes, you were a lot more careful than most paid editors. Not that it helped in your dealings with Wikipedians.

I'm writing this subject up for our book about Wikipedia's history. Might need your help later. Obviously I have a somewhat incomplete view of it.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:17 am

Welcome.

WWB
Wikipedia User: WWB

Unread post by WWB » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks, all.

@tarantino—I had to go back and look to remember what I'd said; I'm afraid I don't have much more to add at the moment, but I think it's an interesting topic. And I'm still very skeptical that the attorney-plaintiff would not be considered a limited-purpose public figure.

@EricBarbour—Actually, most of my on-wiki interactions while representing clients are cordial and constructive. I've had the occasional disagreement or hostile editor, but more often the difficulty is simply finding an editor to look at something for me. "There is no deadline", after all. I'd be happy to discuss more off-forum, if you'd like.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:39 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Looks like these guys are going to be back in the news, but not related to Wikipedia.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:52 pm

thekohser wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Looks like these guys are going to be back in the news, but not related to Wikipedia.
They're a pair of shitheels regardless of venue.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.