Obvious paid editors are obvious

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Obvious paid editors are obvious

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 pm

tarantino wrote:
thekohser wrote:
NotNormal wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... t_Terminus

Paid? More than likely.
Anyone who created an article Healthy Paws Pet Insurance (T-H-L) is a paid editor, and if not, I will eat a dog.
Here's her Elance profile.
I am an excellent writer...
I have been self-employed every since.
:D
I charge $15 per hour...
You get what you pay for, Healthy Paws.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:48 am

Inspired by this post...

Fastback68 (T-C-L), 216.160.91.91 (T-C-L) (Seattle area), 184.78.190.35 (T-C-L) (Seattle area), and Blackglama (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Employees of American Legend Cooperative (T-H-L), headquartered in Seattle.
Disclosure: None
Unity of focus: 100%
Ever warned on Talk page: No
Blocked: No
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

NotNormal
Critic
Wikipedia User: morning277
Actual Name: Mike Wood

Unread post by NotNormal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:36 pm

If at least 50% of these are not paid content, I'll donate $50 to the WMF (which is worse than eating a dog).
This would all depend on how hungry you were, type of dog (an age I would assume), and whatever sides you have to choose from.

Any comment about the 2 sockpuppet warnings without any action? That's what frustrates me the most.
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 am

Keurig (T-H-L), the ultimate lazy-man's product and an "ecological nightmare". (The cups are made of the worst materials possible, polystyrene and plastic-coated foil, making them utterly unrecyclable and non-biodegradable.)

Original major editors: Kenamu (T-C-L) and Enseeber (T-C-L), plus some IP addresses. In 2008 it looked like a company catalog.

Note that this article says nothing about Keurig's upcoming attempt to force out third-party cartridge manufacturers:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/30/58570 ... od-pirates

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 am

I'll just put this edit by "Martinvars" here, with the added info that Jazztel founder Martin Varsavsky (T-H-L) is a buddy of Jimbo Wales. Since Martin's conflicted editing, the Wikipedia article about Jazztel (T-H-L) has rarely included anything unfavorable whatsoever about the company. It pays to be pals with Jimbo, then having militants like Risker protecting against exposure to the truth.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Jeffgrill (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Jeff Grill was VP of Marketing for Mimeo from August 2006 – May 2012. While the user's edits to Mimeo were executed Sept/Oct 2013, that was when Grill was partner and managing director of two different marketing agencies. (It's not unreasonable to believe that Grill's former employer Mimeo was a client.)
Unity of focus: Appears to be above 95%
Ever warned on Talk page: Yes

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 pm

tarantino wrote:Here's her Elance profile.
I worked as an admin assistant for Honeywell's military defense contractor arm, and went with the spin off, Alliant Techsystems (or ATK). I then went with its spinoff, Global Engineering Systems (GES), before that particular spin off spun away into insolvency... I have been self-employed every since.
:facepalm:
This is not a signature.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:48 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
tarantino wrote:Here's her Elance profile.
I worked as an admin assistant for Honeywell's military defense contractor arm, and went with the spin off, Alliant Techsystems (or ATK). I then went with its spinoff, Global Engineering Systems (GES), before that particular spin off spun away into insolvency... I have been self-employed every since.
:facepalm:
Perhaps she had an unfortunate ctrl+delete accident and the word "day" is missing between "every" and "since"?

Maybe the WMF engineering group can get right on a natural language parser to help this poor lady out...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Need an advertisement about a new service in your Wikipedia article, Pyro Spectaculars (T-H-L)? Just do it yourself, using your own website as the source! (IP address geo-locates to same metro area as headquarters of business.) The ad placement has been viewed about 2,000 times, going on 13 months.

One of Pyro's top competitors is Garden State Fireworks (T-H-L). Obviously someone near the headquarters was upset about the "Accidents" section of that article. Thankfully, MelanieN was right there on the ball, keeping truth alive. But, when Uncle Sam's Fireworks (another competitor of Garden State's) came along, they were able to drop in a backlink to their own site, on Garden State's Wikipedia page! The chutzpah! Editor was WYNNAthomas (T-C-L)... now that's not suspicious, is it? Special thanks to MelanieN for not only not noticing that it's a spam link, but helping to clean it up a bit.

Wikipedia... always improving -- and quickly!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 pm

There are only a dozen or so Wikipedia articles about fireworks companies and organizations. Here are the paid / COI editors of them:

Fwman (T-C-L)

Fireworkknight (T-C-L)

Joncul (T-C-L)

Brocks fireworks (T-C-L)

Fireworkshaha (T-C-L)

Fireworksbygrucci (T-C-L)

Erikhedborg (T-C-L)

JamieLee4127 (T-C-L)

Scouse 27 (T-C-L)

Masonmeyer (T-C-L)

Skylighter (T-C-L)

70smagic (T-C-L)

Anyone who still holds the notion that Wikipedia can be protected from self-interested business people by modifying the Terms of Use should look through these binoculars and observe that horse way off in the distance, who left the barn years ago.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:07 am

People say I hunt for these, but they're found mostly at random. Tonight, a door-to-door solicitor was on our front step, asking me for a donation to Clean Water Action (T-H-L).

The article has been crafted almost exclusively by single-purpose accounts.

Jdecock (T-C-L)

Creekyt (T-C-L)

Thijskolet (T-C-L)

Michaelkellycwa (T-C-L)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:41 am

thekohser wrote:People say I hunt for these, but they're found mostly at random. Tonight, a door-to-door solicitor was on our front step, asking me for a donation to Clean Water Action (T-H-L).

The article has been crafted almost exclusively by single-purpose accounts.

Jdecock (T-C-L)

Creekyt (T-C-L)

Thijskolet (T-C-L)

Michaelkellycwa (T-C-L)
No Claire Underwood?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:54 am

thekohser wrote:There are only a dozen or so Wikipedia articles about fireworks companies and organizations.
That's terrible. Let's start a project to cover a few hundred more.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:56 pm

tarantino wrote:
tarantino wrote:Jeremy112233 (T-C-L) has to be one of the most successful paid editors...
I see that wikipedians recently investigated Jeremy112233, and the evidence strongly suggests that he is the COO of WikiExperts (T-H-L). On October 17, 2013, the firm, its employees, and any related firms were banned from editing Wikipedia. James Cummins (author) (T-H-L) is presumably his autobiography. He's denied all of this though.
He's still at it -- just yesterday he created Hoorsenbuhs (T-H-L).

Last year he was responsible for Dan Bilzerian (T-H-L), who is notorious for his extravagant lifestyle and womanizing. Result: Bilzerian's WP bio was heavily vandalized for the past year. And Jeremy112233 cleaned it up repeatedly, if a patroller didn't.

So where's that "bright line" again?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Was in a presentation yesterday, where the organization Educause (T-H-L) was mentioned. I'm going to take a risk here and start a post in this thread about Educause, then examine the Wikipedia article to see if there's COI, paid, or extensive single-purpose editors at work. That's how convinced I am that any middling-notability organization can't keep its hands off its Wikipedia content. Here goes...

Stub created in 2005 by Dan McCreary, Dmccreary (T-C-L). Other than Dan attending a couple of conferences that Educause representatives also attended, this looks like a completely clean bill of health for the article's creation.

The top three content volume contributors are:
Philoctetes1 (T-C-L) - Red-linked, single-purpose account with one large edit.
ADobkin (T-C-L) - Alan Dobkin, looks clean. (Fellow Emory alumni, with yours truly.)
Malcolma (T-C-L) - Looks clean.

The top two frequent contributors are:
Pumpkiny (T-C-L) - Single-purpose account, active in late 2006.
63.156.186.130 (T-C-L) - Single-purpose account, active in June 2013 and April 2014, converting text to a more marketing-oriented style. Geo-locates to northwestern Denver, where Educause is headquartered.

Overall, this is a fairly good report card (not that there's anything wrong with COI or paid editing!), but not pristine by Jimbo's Bright Line Rule standard.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Looking for paid editors in the history of London Live (TV channel) (T-H-L) is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Bonus: One of them is Morrisoncolin15 (T-C-L), aka Morrisonlondon (T-C-L), aka Morrisonc (T-C-L), who in addition to writing the charming self-biography Colin Morrison (T-H-L), also spent a while in March, as 31.48.113.179 (T-C-L), inserting links to his blog into various business and media-related articles.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Now that the new Terms of Use have been in place for several weeks, I was curious if they're having an impact. So, I took 5,000 "recent changes" and started to scan up from the bottom, looking for red-linked users adding substantial amounts of text.

I got about 5% of the way up the list, when I encountered: Chiamtj (T-C-L).

Back in April, he wrote an article about a Singapore housing development, Belgravia Villas, which was deleted. Now they're going to town on a user workspace article about another Singapore housing development, City Gate. Within four minutes, it was declined.

Nobody has suspected that this user may be in violation of the Wikimedia Terms of Use, but they have been invited to The Teahouse. Am I to assume that WikiLove will triumph over paid advocacy editing?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:48 pm

I had the opportunity yesterday to hear a lunchtime keynote talk about "Generational Archetypes", presented by an employee of the NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment company. He based his talk on the Strauss–Howe generational theory (T-H-L) (and he mentioned that Wikipedia was a very good summary of the theory). He also mentioned that his father is an historian, who I found has a Wikipedia biography.

Of course, it turns out that 95% of the biography was written in February 2013 by an intern at the nonprofit center founded by the historian. Can't know whether the intern was paid or not, so I'll not say anything more.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 pm

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Anyone want to bet that Peter J. Zuckerman (T-H-L) is editing Wikipedia from the offices (65.254.15.194 (T-C-L)) of the Town of North Hempstead, where he works?

Meanwhile, if you were equine lawyer and author Frank Becker, do you think you'd hit Wikipedia with a User name like Beckerdigital (T-C-L) and try to insert into articles links to your books? Nah! That would be too obvious, right?

And over here, we wonder whether ROIOnline (T-C-L) maybe works for the Amarillo National Bank (T-H-L). What do you think?

Maybe he got the idea from SimiUSD (T-C-L), who works exclusively on the Wikipedia article about the Simi Valley Unified School District (T-H-L)!

Nothing special about my sleuthing skills, folks. These are simply editors who were active an hour ago (and not yet reverted or scolded or blocked).

Thank heavens we have that new Terms of Use that forbids undisclosed editing that would financially benefit the editor, huh?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Chanel Terblanche (T-C-L) (assistant to or manager of Lieze Stassen (T-H-L)).

Wikipedia needs more women editors -- here's one! Katie.woodward (T-C-L). She's really, really into promoting liquified natural gas. Pure coincidence that she works for Palladian Publications, which prints the LNG Industry trade magazine!

And is Janeycamehome (T-C-L) a promoter, a fan, or a stalker? Who knows? Who cares!

If this guy, Abdulqadeer007 (T-C-L), isn't editing for some form of compensation, then I don't know what's what.

Camille, Camillesbc (T-C-L), could you please make about 7 edits in a clumsy effort to get the logo into Startupbootcamp (T-H-L)? Thanks, hun.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:17 pm

You have to wonder how an article like Florida Department of Management Services (T-H-L) comes about.

First the article is launched by a dedicated Wikipedian, Student7 (T-C-L).

Then you add the work of a couple of single-purpose and/or COI accounts, like Kingfish52 (T-C-L) and FLDMS (T-C-L) (where is Orangemike when you need him?).

Then you have six months of editing from an IP address 199.250.28.144 (T-C-L) that traces to the Florida Department of Management Services.

Don't forget someone working from home at Tallahassee IP address, 68.35.231.245 (T-C-L), and now you've got yourself a nice, neutral article about a state government agency, with nearly every reference pointing to the agency, and virtually none pointing to any independent, third-party media that suggests why the agency is noteworthy.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

thekohser wrote:Camille, Camillesbc (T-C-L), could you please make about 7 edits in a clumsy effort to get the logo into Startupbootcamp (T-H-L)? Thanks, hun.
Oh, jeez. Just look a few days ago, and you get the whole picture. Peter van Sabben is the Head of Global Marketing at Startupbootcamp. I wonder if these Wikipedia accounts have anything to do with him?

Petervansabben (T-C-L)

Vansabben (T-C-L) (Don't worry about the conflict of interest, Peter... we can talk about it at the Teahouse.)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:33 am

Reasonably sure that Bmccoy1111 (T-C-L) is an employee of Wave Broadband (T-H-L).
How "clever" of him to mess around with Genetically modified food (T-H-L), and then later start doing his "job"!

This edit is "amusing".

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 am

EricBarbour wrote:Reasonably sure that Bmccoy1111 (T-C-L) is an employee of Wave Broadband (T-H-L).
How "clever" of him to mess around with Genetically modified food (T-H-L), and then later start doing his "job"!

This edit is "amusing".
On Twitter, Brendan McCoy (@bmccoy11) follows Joe Francis (@joefrancisjr), who is Sales Leader at Wave Broadband. A couple of weeks ago, Brendan McCoy was publishing his Internet speed test results for a Wave Broadband connection. Here's a SVP at Wave Broadband seeing if he can lock in a promotional price for residential Internet for Brendan. Last year, Brendan was on Facebook, ragging on Wave Broadband's competitor, CenturyLink.

Maybe it's just that Brendan McCoy is a really, really enthusiastic supporter of his cable company.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if Alessio Pasquinelli (T-C-L) is a paid editor, but looking at his years-long, single-purpose obsession with what teams are sponsored by which clothing brands, you must conclude that he's either deranged or paid to do this.

Anyone who is interested in how the deliberate expansion of the Wikimedia Movement into India will impact the English Wikipedia need look no further than the articles being created by User Padmacharan123 (T-C-L).

Meanwhile, Bo Bruce (T-H-L) is a singer-songwriter managed by "Matt" at phoenix-artists.com. Here's Phoenix Artists (T-C-L) hard at work today on Wikipedia. At least someone caught that.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:55 am

Symmetricom (T-H-L)

Created in 2006 by someone who was blocked as a sock.

Massively expanded by Imacguy (T-C-L), starting in September 2011.
At one point it was 21k bytes long, and obvious paid editing.

Chopped down to ~6k bytes in February 2012 by German schmuck Mabdul (T-C-L), with "help" (hah) from Anthony Appleyard.

Then chopped down to 3k bytes in January 2013 by an IP address. All references lost.

Now the article is crap, and obsolete as well since Microsemi bought Symmetricom.

(It also fails to note that Symmetricom was started with funding from DARPA. http://mil-embedded.com/news-id/?885)

(PPS: some English nut made a pocket watch using a Symmetricom frequency standard.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 pm

For safe keeping, from another thread on Wikipediocracy...

This is a photo from some Google project called the Impact Challenge:

I see Emma Freud (T-H-L)'s head up there next to Jimmy's. Emma is big sister to Jimbo's wife's boss, Matthew Freud (T-H-L). Let no one say that Jimbo married a third time for professional and political connections. Also, let us be clear that Freud Communications (T-H-L) is in the category of companies with "Conflict-of-interest editing on Wikipedia".

And look who else I see -- Jacquelline Fuller, who works for Google.org (T-H-L). You don't think Wikipedia's article about Google.org would ever be edited in violation of the WMF Terms of Use, do you? Certainly, User Emilykettering (T-C-L) couldn't be an employee of Google, right? I mean, it must be pure coincidence that she said she "worked closely" with Google employees Andy Rubin and Susan Wojcicki, correct? It's just an amazingly freak chance that she doctored up the Wikipedia article about Hal V. Barron (T-H-L), the president of R&D at Calico (a company founded by Google), to be sure!

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 pm

The person on the lower right whose name is obscured by the guy on stage is Helen Goulden, who works for the NESTA Innovations Lab (NESTA is the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts in the UK). No BLP for her (yet), but the NESTA article has been heavily edited by Wikipedia Single-Purpose Account Ollyarber (T-C-L), which sounds like a fake name until you look it up and find that it almost certainly belongs to NESTA employee Olly Arber, who "oversees all of the organisation's digital strategy from websites and publications to social media and digital training." One of his main tasks has apparently been to make sure everyone on social media knows that NESTA is no longer an "independent endowment," but instead wants to be known as a "charity."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 pm

So, it would appear that the Impact Challenge, as far as Wikipedia is concerned, is a potpourri of conflict-of-interest editing organizations. That's lovely! Just as the Bright Line Rule is unfamiliar to 90% of Wikipedia editors, it hasn't sunk in with this crowd, either.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 pm

Does anyone want to tell me that they do not believe that Alvb (T-C-L) is a paid editor of some sort? Subjects of interest:

Focus T25

Fire Engineering Magazine (T-H-L)

LookTracker (T-H-L)

US Radar (T-H-L)

Corporate Affiliations (T-H-L)

Teknicks (T-H-L)

She says she's a woman, though -- so don't run her off the project, please!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Some more obvious accounts, fresh off the presses today:

Jimmy Welch (T-C-L)

FactualNotFictional (T-C-L)
(Seems to have a singular focus on one of the topics that User:Ash was interested in, back in 2006.)

Shiva767 (T-C-L)
Commitment, energy, enthusiasm, giftedness --the things visions are made of--describes the efforts of the committee appointed by The Lockman Foundation to carefully review the impressive work of Mrs. Siewert. This Editorial Board, made up of dedicated people, lent credibility and organization to this unprecedented attempt to bring out the richness of the Hebrew and Greek languages within the English text itself.

One chapter yet remained to bring the vision into reality. A publishing house in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on its way to becoming a major religious publishing firm, seized the opportunity to participate in a project which all visionaries involved strongly believed would be used by God to change lives. (link)
Looks like the new Terms of Use is working fabulously.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Welcome to Wikipedia, Mr. Gutsche... or should I say, Fashionspy (T-C-L)?

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:02 pm

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Hex wrote:Bitrix24 (T-H-L) -_-
I would venture a guess that 70% of the articles found on List of collaborative software (T-H-L) have extensive COI editing.

Scratch that -- looking at 5 articles randomly from that list, and it's probably closer to 90%.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 pm

Orochi200 (T-C-L) has confessed on his User page to being a PR editor, for MSLGROUP (T-H-L). Note his single-purpose focus on Wikipedia.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Checked the Reward Board, and found a few expiring items that no one was willing to take on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... d_dogecoin

Interesting "mix" of items, too. Something on Dogecoin (paid in Dogecoin of course, oh yeah that'll work!), expanding a bio, and adding some corporate material. Wikipedians must be completely insane if they don't pay more attention to Reward Board items, the last one looks very simple and easy. (Yeah, I know, you can't buy pizza and beer with Dogecoin and $5 doesn't go very far etc. etc., it's MONEY you fools!)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Checked the Reward Board, and found a few expiring items that no one was willing to take on:

...and adding some corporate material. Wikipedians must be completely insane if they don't pay more attention to Reward Board items, the last one looks very simple and easy.
Not so easy, apparently -- that seemingly simple request to add content to UDG Healthcare (T-H-L) caused such a ruckus, it forced a one-hour, admin-only shut down of Jimbo's Talk page!
20:49, 14 August 2014 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) changed protection level of User talk:Jimbo Wales‎ ‎[edit=sysop] (expires 21:49, 14 August 2014 (UTC))‎[move=sysop] (indefinite) (Persistent WP:Idiocy. Hopefully short term idiocy, so only protected for an hour. Jimbo, you might actually want to tell people how you would like this dealt with from now on) (hist)
Get this... Smallbones is so hell-bent on stopping paid editing, he'll block a $5 donation to the Wikimedia Foundation, just to delete boring, factual content. Tell me he has an ulcer, right? He must have an ulcer.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:22 pm

thekohser wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Checked the Reward Board, and found a few expiring items that no one was willing to take on:

...and adding some corporate material. Wikipedians must be completely insane if they don't pay more attention to Reward Board items, the last one looks very simple and easy.
Not so easy, apparently -- that seemingly simple request to add content to UDG Healthcare (T-H-L) caused such a ruckus, it forced a one-hour, admin-only shut down of Jimbo's Talk page!
As usual, they love to scream "B&D EDITOR B&D EDITOR" without telling anyone who the banned editor actually is. Still no "proof of guilt" required on Wikipedia.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... d_dogecoin

Interesting "mix" of items, too. Something on Dogecoin (paid in Dogecoin of course, oh yeah that'll work!), expanding a bio, and adding some corporate material. Wikipedians must be completely insane if they don't pay more attention to Reward Board items, the last one looks very simple and easy. (Yeah, I know, you can't buy pizza and beer with Dogecoin and $5 doesn't go very far etc. etc., it's MONEY you fools!)
One dogecoin is basically worthless, though. Not even worth a penny, apparently. You could get over 5,000 dogecoins for one U.S. dollar. Might as well offer a barnstar.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:34 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote: One dogecoin is basically worthless, though. Not even worth a penny, apparently. You could get over 5,000 dogecoins for one U.S. dollar. Might as well offer a barnstar.
I'm surprised no Wikipedians have suggested making their own cryptocurrency (WikiCoin?) yet. They could use it for Wikipedia:WikiMoney (T-H-L) 2.0.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 am

thekohser wrote:

20:49, 14 August 2014 Floquenbeam (talk | contribs) changed protection level of User talk:Jimbo Wales‎ ‎[edit=sysop] (expires 21:49, 14 August 2014 (UTC))‎[move=sysop] (indefinite) (Persistent WP:Idiocy. Hopefully short term idiocy, so only protected for an hour. Jimbo, you might actually want to tell people how you would like this dealt with from now on) (hist)
Get this... Smallbones is so hell-bent on stopping paid editing, he'll block a $5 donation to the Wikimedia Foundation, just to delete boring, factual content. Tell me he has an ulcer, right? He must have an ulcer.
It's amusing that even as an ArbCom case is filed about this Reward Board request and the reaction to it on Jimbo's talk page, it has caused one long-time editor to consider working for the dark side.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 pm

thekohser wrote:It's amusing that even as an ArbCom case is filed about this Reward Board request and the reaction to it on Jimbo's talk page, it has caused one long-time editor to consider working for the dark side.
Yawn.
in three easy steps:

Accept case
Figure out which users think this is a vital issue
Siteban them

--Floquenbeam (talk) 20:13, 15 August 2014 (UTC)
Plus, "Hell in a bucket" had himself blocked today.

And right below that is DeltaQuad accusing Dragonfly67 of, um, something. Babbling bullshit.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 am

Kind of obvious, especially considering the company's ugly history:

Burt's Bees (T-H-L), the great bulk of which was written in 2007 by Alyssa hoffel (T-C-L).
Plus Roxanne Quimby (T-H-L), a stub with no "negative information" started in 2011 by Erudy (T-C-L).
Needless to say, Shavitz does not have a Wikipedia article, despite his face being on every Burt's Bees product.

Neither WP article says anything about the dispute between the company's founders.
You'll have to read things like this and this to know the real story.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Sanmateo94403 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probably works for Greylock Partners (T-H-L), headquartered less than 15 miles from zip code 94403.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Lwriter (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Quite obviously is Lynn Walford, Executive Editor at AutoConnectedCar.com
Ever warned on Talk page: Some warnings about crufty article submissions and spam links, but most recent note is a "thank you" for adding sources (to her own website)

How did I find this one? I noticed that PR firm Waggener Edstrom (which took the "Wikipedia pledge") is heavily involved with the "connected car (T-H-L)" segment. I began to explore to see if they were involved in Wikipedia editing on this subject, post-pledge. While I didn't see any evidence of that quickly, the subject is littered with little bits of self-promotion.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:20 pm

Is User:KesslerRonald (T-C-L) somehow exempt from any COI / autobiography concerns, regarding his nearly complete caretaking of Wikipedia's biography about Ronald Kessler (T-H-L)?

Of course, not a single warning or note to the reader that the biography's been 90% written by its subject.

Oops! Sorry, Adversary, I forgot that you mentioned this case back in March. Nice to see that nothing's been done about it on Wikipedia, and Kessler's still going strong, even editing just moments ago.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:33 pm

Cwardo (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probably works for the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (T-H-L)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:33 pm

thekohser wrote:Rstromback (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Maybe this is *the* Richard Stromback?
Unity of focus: Over 90%
Ever warned on Talk page: Several image licensing concerns

Who created the article about Richard Stromback? A single-purpose, one-edit account, of course: Dfraser44 (T-C-L).

Oh wait, what's this account with a more recent pedigree?

Scratchdesign (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Maybe this is *still* Richard Stromback?
Ever warned on Talk page: A "disruptive" notice and a "promotional" notice, along with two file permission notices

What was Scratchdesign so hellbent on inserting into Wikipedia? Shameless self-promotion of the "Ecology Summit" that Stromback takes credit for organizing on Richard Branson's private island in the BVIs. You know, this is the one where Jimbo Wales and Tony Blair jetted from far points of the globe (burning considerable amounts of fossil fuel) in order to discuss in person whether or not global warming is real.

Part of that trip was spent by the gang sailing from Necker Island to Mosquito Island, which Gayla Kilbride would like you to know more about.
Mr. Stromback, if you are concerned about who decimated your Wikipedia article about the Ecology Summit (T-H-L), it wasn't me -- it was "ethical" paid editor David King.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:40 pm

thekohser wrote:Is User:KesslerRonald (T-C-L) somehow exempt from any COI / autobiography concerns, regarding his nearly complete caretaking of Wikipedia's biography about Ronald Kessler (T-H-L)?

Of course, not a single warning or note to the reader that the biography's been 90% written by its subject.

Oops! Sorry, Adversary, I forgot that you mentioned this case back in March. Nice to see that nothing's been done about it on Wikipedia, and Kessler's still going strong, even editing just moments ago.
Checking the checkers (T-C-L) ...whoever that can be (I promise it is not me :P) ...... even mentioned it on Jimbos talk-page here, just afterwards.

Funny, isn´t it? All those editors who are defending Jimbo, and watching his page....while apparently they don´t give a damn about "defending the encyclopaedia" in general.

Well, I guess by now, people have learned what pays, and what way brings them forward in the WMF-hirachy, ultimately to a WMF-job. :dry: :bored: