Obvious paid editors are obvious

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
EricBarbour

kołdry

Re: Obvious paid editors are obvious

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Since 2009, Chempol (T-H-L) has had "the work of industry people" stamped all over it.
Gnomes diddle it, no one improves it.

(Yes, folks, Olestra, that marvelous Proctor & Gamble "achievement", is now being modified and used as a paint additive.
Bet it makes paint worse, too. Speaking of which, did you know the Olestra article originally started in 2003 as a copyright violation?)

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Someone on Slashdot says...
See the Talk page [of Fractal antenna (T-H-L)] for all the back and forth about the corporate involvement, meat puppets being used, links to competitors being removed, and all other manner of wonderful stuff. There's a history temporary protection when the occasional admin wanders by, but then that expires, and the paid shills come back, and continue.

It's a very important subject, and yet there's not a bunch of editors willing to sit on the article and continue to revert the info for years and years, as ****** ***** continues to corrupt it into fluffy advertising for his (and ONLY his) company.
I've cut the name out as I haven't looked into the matter (at all - the edit history and the talk page look eyeball-meltingly bad, I really don't feel like it) and don't want to accidentally libel the person if this poster is talking crap.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:14 pm

Flexirent Wikipedia Page Describes Pros and Cons of Flexirent Leasing Agreements
SBWire, 1 July 2013 link
Every day, Australians across the country lease vehicles and homes. Thanks to a service called Flexirent, Australians have found it easier than ever to lease consumer electronics and business equipment. Flexirent is a branded term that refers to a lending agreement offered by an Australian company called FlexiGroup.

At the Wikipedia page for Flexirent, visitors will discover the pros and cons of the Flexirent leasing agreement. The Wikipedia page describes the advantages and disadvantages of Flexirent plans while listing many of the retailers that currently offer Flexirent financing services.
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 am

Funny, how every time I see another one of the "worst beers in America" lists, they always seem to include Keystone.
Urban Dictionary coverage. Plus a Deadspin article that ran yesterday, just says "This is the worst beer currently sold on American soil".

So why is Keystone (beer brand) (T-H-L) not reflective of this? And why is half the article dedicated to the stupid advertising campaigns
run by Coors to sell Keystone? The article history has a lot of random-looking IP addresses messing with it since 2006.

Why does Wikipedia need shit like
The back of the 30-pack box had the following text:

The Keystolope is thought to have originated when a hunting party left behind a single can of Keystone Light somewhere in the Colorado wilderness. The lost can made a new life for itself among the woodland creatures. Much sought after but seldom seen, the Keystolope can be identified by its impressive rack, and would be a prized addition to any trophy room.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Watford Borough Council officials doctored Wikipedia page
Watford Observer, 5 July 2013 link
Officials at Watford Borough Council edited the authority’s own Wikipedia page to include praise for its performance and managing director Manny Lewis, it has emerged.

Council officials confirmed a now-deleted account named WatfordBC - which made four alterations to the council’s Wikipedia page on September 25, 2012 - was controlled by an employee of the authority.

The council are not the first public body to be accused of changing entries on the user-edited encyclopaedia to burnish its image.

Conservative MP and minister without portfolio, Grant Schapps, was accused in 2012 of altering his own page to delete a section on political gaffes and to alter the O-Level results he obtained as a pupil at Watford Grammar School for Boys.
former Living Person

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Mancunium wrote:Conservative MP and minister without portfolio, Grant Schapps, was accused in 2012 of altering his own page to delete a section on political gaffes and to alter the O-Level results he obtained as a pupil at Watford Grammar School for Boys.
We had a blog post about the Grant Shapps story at the time. As far as the O-level results at least were concerned, Shapps didn't as much alter as correct his Wikipedia entry. Still, the news meme is that he "altered the O-Level results". Put that way, everyone assumes that Wikipedia's account of them was correct (why anyone should assume that mystifies me), and that he falsified them.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm

When the Watford Observer says "now-deleted", they're mistaken; WatfordBC (T-C-L) never had a user page, or received any comments on their talk page. However, someone called Amatulic (T-C-L) blocked the account without any warning without on the day the article was published, despite it not having made any edits since four in an 8-minute span on a single day last September. Stable door, et cetera.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:46 pm

EricBarbour wrote:So why is Keystone (beer brand) (T-H-L) not reflective of this? And why is half the article dedicated to the stupid advertising campaigns run by Coors to sell Keystone?
My favorite part of the article:
Three varieties of Keystone have been produced, as well as the original:

* Keystone, introduced 1989, found with a gold can, red label, later changed to Keystone Premium
* Keystone Premium, found with a red, white and blue can
* Keystone Light, introduced 1989, found with a blue label
* Keystone Dry, introduced 1991, found with a black can, red label
* Keystone Ice, introduced 1994, "ice brewed ale," found with a black label.
* Keystone Amber Light, introduced 1994, found with a gold can with a diamond "Amber Light" badge
* Keystone V9, Puerto Rico only.
Only on Wikipedia does 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:01 pm

EricBarbour wrote:Funny, how every time I see another one of the "worst beers in America" lists, they always seem to include Keystone.
Urban Dictionary coverage. Plus a Deadspin article that ran yesterday, just says "This is the worst beer currently sold on American soil".

So why is Keystone (beer brand) (T-H-L) not reflective of this?
Neither Urban Dictionary or Deadspin is exactly a reliable source. I suspect that these are the sort of defamations we'd condemn if they originated on Wikipedia. If you can find a half-way reliable source to support your case, I'd agree with you.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Outsider wrote:Neither Urban Dictionary or Deadspin is exactly a reliable source. I suspect that these are the sort of defamations we'd condemn if they originated on Wikipedia. If you can find a half-way reliable source to support your case, I'd agree with you.
And all that guff about "Marketing", including a stupid thing about the "Keystolope" copied off a 30-pack container, IS from "reliable sources"?
Is the box for a 30-pack of cheap beer a "reliable source"? Remember, it's not a "secondary source", it's a primary source......

This is being controlled by paid editors, you nitwit.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 am

I was at a beer tasting in Sturgis, South Dakota (T-H-L) (quite by accident) and someone tried to include Keystone Amber Light in the blind tasting. One of the organizers broke the proffered bottle on the rail and threatened the Coors rep until he left.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 am

So Z, what kind of bike do you ride? (Ming has to presume that's what you were doing in Sturgis.)

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:01 am

Ming wrote:So Z, what kind of bike do you ride? (Ming has to presume that's what you were doing in Sturgis.)
Not a biker in the Harley sense. I was on my way through town in a rental on a business trip and stopped in, for believe it or not, a sarsaparilla. There was some pre-rally revelry and I got caught up in the buzz.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 am

Zoloft wrote:
Ming wrote:So Z, what kind of bike do you ride? (Ming has to presume that's what you were doing in Sturgis.)
Not a biker in the Harley sense.
You go, Z!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:08 am

EricBarbour wrote:...a stupid thing about the "Keystolope" copied off a 30-pack container, IS from "reliable sources"?
Speaking of Keystone beer, there really ought to be a Wikipedia biography about actor Mitchell Jarvis. In fact, it's hilarious that I have a Wikipedia biography (4 whole page views yesterday!), but Jarvis does not.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 am

EricBarbour wrote:And all that guff about "Marketing", including a stupid thing about the "Keystolope" copied off a 30-pack container, IS from "reliable sources"?
Is the box for a 30-pack of cheap beer a "reliable source"? Remember, it's not a "secondary source", it's a primary source......

This is being controlled by paid editors, you nitwit.
Maybe so, but two wrongs don't make a right.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:26 am

Morning277 and MooshiePorkFace.

Dennis "Ahab" Brown will spend 12 hours a day hunting their sockpuppets.
Proposal to ban User:Morning277

This user is tied in with User:MooshiePorkFace in ways I can't explain fully, and who is already banned. This is the most prolific sock master we have by far. In the current case I have already blocked 241 socks in the last 36 hours (yes, a new record) and I figure I have at least another 100 more to go. Unquestionably, there are many more undiscovered.
Well, at least this keeps Dennis off of the streets.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:49 am

Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Jordan Older (2nd nomination) (T-H-L) - Usmanwardag (T-C-L) has been very clearly caught receiving payment for this article/debate here.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Silverado truck (T-C-L)

Definitely a Chevy employee, judging from content like this added:
As of 2011 the GMC and Chevrolet heavy Duty's have being upgraded with a new fully boxed high strength steel frame from front to rear improving stiffness by 92% with bigger rear springs, larger engine and transmission mounts and new hydraulic body mounts to improve the ride.The front suspension incorporates new upper and lower control arms and new torsion bars tailored to one of five different gross axle weight ratings. Upper control arms are constructed from forged steel that is both both stronger and lighter than the previous arms, while the new lower arms are cast iron to maximize load capacity. Using a unique torsion bar for each gross weight rating allows for better control over vehicle height, resulting in improved handling and better alignment for reduced tire wear. These improvements allow for up to a 6,000 pound front axle weight rating, allowing all 4wd trucks to accommodate a snow plow.

Additional front suspension enhancements come from new urethane bump stops, two per side. The upper shock mount has been changed from a single stem mount to a two-bolt design to eliminate the possibility of squeaks and thumps.

The rear suspension design uses asymmetrical leaf springs that are wider and capable of greater load handling. The design features 3- inch wide leafs, with front and rear spring sections of different lengths to reduce the twisting that can result in axle hob and loss of traction. The 2500HD use a two-stage design with a rating of 6,200 lbs, and 3500HD models have a three-stage design with 7,050 lb and 9,375 lb ratings on single and dual-wheel models respectivel
(sic)

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Well, they're that or a Silverado fanatic - not sure which is worse, to be honest.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:25 pm

WikiExperts.us
uploaded by Alexander Konanykhin, owner of WikiExperts.us, link
on 21 March 2013:
Mr Konanykhin is the author of "Defiance: or How to Succeed in Business Despite Being Hounded by the FBI, the KGB, the INS, the Department of Homeland Security, the Department of Justice, Interpol, and Mafia Hitmen: a True Story": link
former Living Person

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:31 pm

TechTarget mess posted in separate thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2681

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Kahr Arms Puts Wikipedia on Notice Regarding Company Info
AmmoLand, 24 July 2013 link
Pearl River, NY –-(Ammoland.com)- Kahr Firearms Group has changed their Wikipedia information to correct misinformation used to describe the corporation.

Currently, Wikipedia lists inaccurate information with regard to the history and ownership of Kahr Firearms Group.

The corporation would like to go on record that the Kahr Firearms Group was founded in 1994 by Justin Moon. Mr. Moon is the sole owner of the firearms group which includes Kahr Arms, Magnum Research and Auto Ordnance.

Kahr Firearms Group is a $75-$100 million corporation which employs 250 employees between its Pearl River, NY corporation office, Worcester, MA and Pillager, MN manufacturing plants along with several captive CNC machine shops also owned by the corporation.

For more information on Kahr Arms, visit http://www.kahr.com
Ammoland Click to read AmmoLand FTC Marital Disclosures Distributed to you by - AmmoLand.com – The Shooting Sports News source.
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:39 pm

Mancunium wrote:Kahr Arms Puts Wikipedia on Notice Regarding Company Info
AmmoLand, 24 July 2013 link
Pearl River, NY –-(Ammoland.com)- Kahr Firearms Group has changed their Wikipedia information to correct misinformation used to describe the corporation.
Specifically, the obvious paid editor is Tomotorik (T-C-L).

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Volunteer Marek wrote:
tarantino wrote:Ps6665! (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probably Peter S. Fosl (T-H-L).
Disclosure: no
Focus: 100%
Blocked or warned: no

Despite creating and making 50 edits to the Peter S. Fosl biography, over a 5 year period, Ps6665! has no user or talk page. He's never been welcomed.
That doesn't look like paid editing but rather just good ol' fashioned COI.
Probably won't help much but it can't hurt either.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Shonna Keogan is a marketing and PR consultant.

Shonnakeogan (T-C-L) is a very narrowly focused Wikipedia editor.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:35 pm

We use InterCall (T-H-L) at my office. Let's check out their Wikipedia page, shall we?

Created by:
Kmoss vki (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Couldn't possibly have a COI, since his first edit summary says, "I have started the InterCall page as I am a web conferencing user who has used their services." So, he's definitely merely a customer.
Disclosure: None
Unity of focus: 100%
Ever warned on Talk page: No
Blocked: No

Interesting how Kmoss created the article on 14 February 2008. Then returned to it again eight days later. Then again three and a half months later. Then finally another two months later. All that time, yet he never discovered another topic on Wikipedia that needed tending to!

Note that InterCall is owned by West Corporation of Omaha, Nebraska. A while later, an IP editor tended to the InterCall article -- 216.57.96.1 (T-C-L). Aw, would you look at that? It resolves to West Corporation in Omaha, Nebraska!

Later, another IP editor assures us that the InterCall article is "Not an advert - a useful reference for those wanting to join the company or to find out more about InterCall and the background." Only two edits on Wikipedia, both InterCall related.

Later, a new Wikipedia user named Temoff (T-C-L) went to Commons to upload the InterCall logo. Temoff also introduced a massive edit to the InterCall article, essentially his only contribution to Wikipedia.

So, this article has essentially been an advertisement for InterCall, since early 2008. It's ramped up to about 40 page views a day. But don't worry -- Wikipedia's NPOV policy is strictly enforced, because in June 2013 "Mean as custard" has tagged the article as written like an advertisement, so readers are fully protected from any conflict-of-interest editing. Wikipedia works.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Tobias mills (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Tobias Mills was the Digital Director at The Brand Union. He created the Wikipedia article about The Brand Union (T-H-L). I suspect that most of his follow-up edits on Wikipedia were for clients of the firm, given that he lives in the United Arab Emirates, and the edits are to things like HSBC Bank Middle East Limited.

The day before he touched up the biography of the CEO of the HSBC Bank Middle East, a new editor had created the biography for Wikipedia, fresh out of the blocks:

Hsbchaddrill (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Lucy Haddrill is HSBC's Regional Head of Employee Communications, and of Global Private Bank Communications. She's a cute blonde, though, so Jimbo is unlikely to be upset by her paid advocacy actions on Wikipedia.
Ever warned on Talk page: Several warnings

The only real punishment is that Simon Cooper's BLP gets disgraced with the "A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject" tag, and the Brand Union's article gets pinned with the "This article needs additional citations for verification" note.

Congratulations, Toby and Lucy -- you successfully subverted Wikipedia, with very little collateral damage.

Could somebody please explain to me again why I'm banned from the English Wikipedia? It's not for paid editing, that's for sure.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 pm

LondonBridge444 (T-C-L)
Almost certainly Terence Fane-Saunders, founder of PR firm Chelgate (T-H-L).
First edits in 2009: create a bio of Terence Fane-Saunders. Then create the Chelgate article. (Bio was later deleted and redirected to Chelgate.)
Disclosure: no
Unity of focus: 50% on self, 50% on LabourList (T-H-L) and Diane Abbott (T-H-L). Chelgate clients?
Warned: several times, on talkpage, mostly about the Diane Abbott article, not about the COI. All deleted.
Blocked: once, for 48 hours, for fighting over the Diane Abbott article with famous misogynist/bigot Shakehandsman. The misogynist/bigot was not punished, ever, because he knew how to play the Wikipedia game.

Bonus points: Fane-Saunders used to work for Burson-Marsteller (T-H-L), which article was openly rewritten in May 2011 -- by a company representative.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:20 am

EricBarbour wrote:...LabourList (T-H-L) and Diane Abbott (T-H-L). Chelgate clients?
I believe we can assume so, if we are to believe that Chelgate employee Gabe Trodd was e-mailing Abbott with talking points. Gabe was also a regular contributor at LabourList.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:06 pm

ChristinaMQ (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Renfro Foods (see logo upload)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Kelseyscarb (T-C-L) and Jessbenbow (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Kelsey Wahl (Marketing and Communications Assistant at Scarborough) and Jessica Benbow (PR, Social Media and Crisis Communications for Arbitron, joint owner of Scarborough)
Ever warned on Talk page: Yes, both were noted as probably COI, but that doesn't have any impact.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

IDGWorld (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of International Data Group
Ever warned on Talk page: No, just given a "thank you" for contributing, and an invitation to the Teahouse!

One of IDG's subsidiaries is IDC (International Data Corporation). Taking a look...

Michblondin (T-C-L) and Michhershey (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Michelle Blondin Hershey was Marketing Manager at IDC
Ever warned on Talk page: Yes, one account warned about copy-paste copyright issues, and the other warned about COI, but it didn't have any material effect.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:28 pm

DigMore (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Acumatica
Unity of focus: At least 90%

Navidmatica (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Acumatica
Ever warned on Talk page: After being invited to the Teahouse, he got a COI warning.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 pm

CelebrateNuance (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Addepar
Unity of focus: At least 90%
Ever warned on Talk page: No, just a big happy welcome.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 pm

Pte0909 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Basware
Ever warned on Talk page: Numerous deletion warnings, but look who won the battle.

And don't forget:
Basware wiki (T-C-L)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:24 am

thekohser wrote:Pte0909 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Probable employee of Basware
Ever warned on Talk page: Numerous deletion warnings, but look who won the battle.

And don't forget:
Basware wiki (T-C-L)
Also:
Exploreamittyagi (T-C-L)
88.168.93.224 (T-C-L)
Epsf (T-C-L) (?)
Pte bw (T-C-L)
Annaemilia (T-C-L)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:34 pm

If you're ever wondering what are the IP addresses of Heroku (T-H-L)'s offices and/or workers' homes, begin with these:

64.81.64.72 (T-C-L)
71.116.99.90 (T-C-L)
71.116.104.59 (T-C-L)
75.197.198.136 (T-C-L)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Well, we covered Basware; how about Brainware (T-H-L)?

Article was created by:
VR718 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: VR718 is the online handle of Vivek Ramgopal, Director of Marketing Programs at Brainware.
Unity of focus: About 80%
Ever warned on Talk page: Mild warning about removing a speedy delete tag, and about logo licensing

Article tended to by the following:
65.213.241.158 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Resolves to Virginia, home of Brainware
Unity of focus: 87.5%

Brain2010 (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Employee of Brainware?

Bc-brainware (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Employee of Brainware?

RobertZBrainware (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Robert Zoch, Public Relations, Brainware, Robert.Zoch@Brainware.com, 703-948-5831. "I need my page for 'Brainware' back. Our Wikipedia entry for 'Brainware' was deleted for coming off as too 'promotional.' I'm willing to make edits as needed, but I need the page restored as quickly as possible."
Disclosure: Full
Ever warned on Talk page: Numerous warnings about COI (even one from our pal, BWilkins (T-C-L)) and licensing

Good for Brainware -- they were able to get their article restored and kept, and it doesn't read "promotional" now. Somebody might want to address the fact, though, that the first paragraph doesn't even mention the name of the company.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:04 pm

While looking at the edit history of Brainware, I noticed this editor who made only one edit to Brainware, but all of the rest of his 20 edits were to Anixter (T-H-L).

JasonKreke (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Jason Kreke is an Editor/Writer in the greater Chicago area who works for Anixter. He will "manage daily projects to support a global marketing communications team".
Unity of focus: 100% (even his edit to Brainware was to linkify Anixter)
Ever warned on Talk page: Template warning about COI

Never fear, Captain Conundrum (T-C-L) gutted the article in April 2013, destroying most of Jason's work.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Erikholm (T-C-L)
Likely COI: At the time of his Wikipedia editing on CCH and Wolters Kluwer, the handsome Erik Holm was Search Engine Marketing Manager at Wolters Kluwer - CCH. He was the "architect of social media marketing development" for the firm.
Ever warned on Talk page: Various notices about deletion and licensing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Do we think it's safe to call for the permanent retirement of the old saw, "Wikipedia's content is written by volunteers -- writers are not paid to contribute the entries"?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:42 pm

thekohser wrote:Do we think it's safe to call for the permanent retirement of the old saw, "Wikipedia's content is written by volunteers -- writers are not paid to contribute the entries"?
You've shown how easy it is to disprove that by picking a company at random.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Did you know that the Sunlight Foundation (T-H-L) has former Wikimedia Foundation board member Matt Halprin on its board of directors, and that Jimbo Wales himself serves on Sunlight's advisory board?

Did you know that in the summer of 2010, the IP address 71.191.1.8 (T-C-L) that geo-locates very close to the Sunlight Foundation's headquarters had a 100% focus on adding tons of content to the Wikipedia article about the Sunlight Foundation?

Did you know that the Sunlight Foundation's project coordinator, Nicko Margolies, has extensively edited the Wikipedia article about the foundation?

And let's not forget this IP editor 68.33.193.160 (T-C-L), helping to add lots of stuff to the Sunlight Foundation article, all from a location in Washington DC, where Sunlight is headquartered.

Good job, Matt Halprin and Jimmy Wales! Your communication of the Bright Line Rule to the folks on your Sunlight board has worked astoundingly well.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:57 am

thekohser wrote:Did you know that the Sunlight Foundation (T-H-L) has former Wikimedia Foundation board member Matt Halprin on its board of directors, and that Jimbo Wales himself serves on Sunlight's advisory board?
I'm going to crosspost this to the Google/CC/etc. thread in the Web 2.0 forum, if that's okay.

Because it's yet another connection I hadn't covered yet. The Sunlight Foundation has quite a few friends
in the "free culture" world, despite not being a direct part of it.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:04 am

I'm going to blog this later, but it needs to be here. Yet another Web 2.0 thing being purified for Wikipedia.

Balantine (T-C-L)
Showed up 11 August 2009, did nothing but create BuzzFeed (T-H-L).
Focus: 100%
Warned: no, just a cheery welcome note on his talkpage.
Blocked: no

BuzzFeed is far from being a completely above-board, honest, forthright company.
But you won't see any of that on Wikipedia. I will have some links about that shortly.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:16 pm

ScottStoffelAbbott (T-C-L)
Likely COI: Pharmaceutical products manufactured by Abbott Laboratories (T-H-L).
Disclosure: Self-declared on talk page as Senior Director of Corporate Public Affairs at Abbott.
Unity of focus: After some minor initial fiddling with Chicago sports teams, 100%.
Ever warned on talk page: Minor COI cautions and warning for adding this promotional-sounding text to an article.
Blocked: No.

Has done things like this, removing a list of potential side-effects quoted in the documentation of a drug, Serc, that his company manufactures, as well as removing mention of a clinical trial being conducted by another pharmaceutical company. However, in a number of cases accompanied minor edits to articles with full statement of disclosure on each accompanying article, most times longer than the actual change being made. Which is nice. Appears to have stopped editing in February; whether this was in relation to being asked on his talk page to use edit summaries, I don't know.

Off-topic, but interestingly, removed an uncited claim that one of their products is used in prison force-feeding. I wonder if that's true, and if it's in use at Gitmo.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Hex wrote:Off-topic, but interestingly, removed an uncited claim that one of their products is used in prison force-feeding. I wonder if that's true, and if it's in use at Gitmo.
There's a photograph he needs to get rid of.......whups, he'd better threaten the Washington Post too.....

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 am

thekohser wrote:Do we think it's safe to call for the permanent retirement of the old saw, "Wikipedia's content is written by volunteers -- writers are not paid to contribute the entries"?
I motion for a blog post about this.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:13 am

rhindle wrote:
I motion for a blog post about this.
There is one being worked in right now, but the details are top seekrit until the post is published next Tuesday or Wednesday. Research into follow-up posts for that one is ongoing.
Obvious civility robots are obvious