WikipediaAdministrators.com - Admins for sale?

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
Zoloft
Trustee
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: WikipediaAdministrators.com - Admins for sale?

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:15 pm

EricBarbour wrote:We discuss prospective blog posts in a private area, because sometimes embarrassing things are brought up. And found out recently that one of the longtime participants was hiding his WP identity (arbitrator!). Long story short, it made some people very unhappy.
Setting the fox among the chickens, are we?

As I PMed enwikibadscience...

We don't do the sort of thing Wikipedia does with IRC and secret Arbcom proceedings.

We have three sorts of hidden places:
  1. a subforum where we move obscenity, unwarranted personal attacks (such as making fun of a person's appearance), and other moderated content. We notify any member whose content we have to move there.
  2. an area where we prepare blog posts in a collaborative fashion. We also discuss there any sort of tactic we want to pursue to further our goals. Almost all of that stuff eventually becomes public. It's where we began the work on exposing Qworty, for example.
  3. temporary subforums known as working areas, where outside people (not members, ordinarily) meet with us to exchange information on a confidential basis. These forums are deleted or emptied after use. These are primarily used for people who are at risk of stalking or real-life harassment.
We should put this up in the public 'what we're all about' area, along with all those BBCode guides I keep meaning to write.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 pm

EricBarbour wrote:We discuss prospective blog posts in a private area, because sometimes embarrassing things are brought up. And found out recently that one of the longtime participants was hiding his WP identity (arbitrator!). Long story short, it made some people very unhappy.
It also made some people very happy! :evilgrin:

Hi Newyorkbrad. Nice to see you on-line again.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:02 am

Ah, well if he didn't misrepresent himself that would be okay for the forum generally wouldn't it? There's no special disclosure requirement for arbs is there? I guess it depends on the characteristics of this private blog post discussion area, and how access to that is managed. If he'd wheedled his way in there to spy on the inner circle and wasn't actually working on a blog post, that would be bad.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Tippi Hadron
Queen
Wikipedia User: DracoEssentialis
Actual Name: Monika Nathalie Collida Kolbe

Unread post by Tippi Hadron » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:21 am

Triptych wrote:
Ah, well if he didn't misrepresent himself that would be okay for the forum generally wouldn't it? There's no special disclosure requirement for arbs is there? I guess it depends on the characteristics of this private blog post discussion area, and how access to that is managed. If he'd wheedled his way in there to spy on the inner circle and wasn't actually working on a blog post, that would be bad.
He did not wheedle his way in. He was chosen.

Sweet Revenge
Gregarious

Unread post by Sweet Revenge » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:42 am

Tippi Hadron wrote:
Triptych wrote:
I for one would love to read a blog post about this incident...

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:50 am

Sweet Revenge wrote:
Tippi Hadron wrote:
Triptych wrote:
I for one would love to read a blog post about this incident...
Just to be clear, it's not me, I'm not secretly an admin or an arb, or anything else interesting.

And, I don't live in my Mom's basement--because she lives in a floodplain and does not have one. A basement that is, as she has a floodplain.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:18 am

We seem to have gotten ourselves into a spot where we don't say what we know, but certain people hint at it just to let people know that they know something that other people don't know. Smells like Teen Wikipedia.

Whatev. This is :offtopic: anyways. Anyone taking bets on the mighty Eagles trouncing those Cowboys?
This is not a signature.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 am

SB_Johnny wrote:We seem to have gotten ourselves into a spot where we don't say what we know, but certain people hint at it just to let people know that they know something that other people don't know. Smells like Teen Wikipedia.

Whatev. This is :offtopic: anyways. Anyone taking bets on the mighty Eagles trouncing those Cowboys?
The Eagles are 7 point favorites. The Over/Under is 52.5.

I've taken $20 against.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:43 pm

greybeard wrote:Something in the juxtapostion of this most recent exchange and the statistics above about California put me in mind of this old Firesign Theatre sketch...
"Injuns! Draw the wagons up into a circle!" "Why do you always do that?" "We get better reception that way."

Great album. /offtopic
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Zoloft wrote:The Eagles are 7 point favorites. The Over/Under is 52.5.

I've taken $20 against.
Taking the Cowboys and the points, and the under would have been winning bets. Where did you place your bet, Zoloft?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 am

thekohser wrote:

I've taken $20 against.
Taking the Cowboys and the points, and the under would have been winning bets. Where did you place your bet, Zoloft?
Tijuana sports book.

It's a great place to just sit and drink ice tea and practice my rotten Spanish. A friend was visiting.

Made up my loss and more on random horse races.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

NotNormal
Critic
Wikipedia User: morning277
Actual Name: Mike Wood

Unread post by NotNormal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:18 am

I think I can clear this one up for you. Joseph Chinnock is the one who had the domain wikipediaadministrators.com. He either owned it or ran it. You can see this (https://plus.google.com/+RobJackson/posts/ESDJkwuibZ3) Google+ post from a person who was spammed by his claim of getting people on Wikipedia. The phone number in the add is Mr. Chinnock's phone number. So.......the strange and weird dead ends that you are trying to come up with are more than likely leading to fake profiles set up by him. I have inside information that I will not disclose here, but I will tell you that he is the one behind the site. And no, he doesn't have 3 administrators on staff. This is a dead end for finding admins being paid to edit Wikipedia.

Also, his email is jcboulder@XXXXX.com (https://www.blogger.com/profile/12991058384124073207). You can see that he is so good at what he does that he even managed to write a page on himself in Simple Wikipedia. It was deleted, of course (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jcboulder). I would say that the complaints about him on RipOffReport are likely true so his claim about having admins on staff is as good of a con as any.
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:21 am

Oh yeah, forgot to weigh in on what is really important here...........I didn't think the Eagles were still considered a professional team. I guess I can be proven wrong every now and then.
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 am

I guess the "inside information" is not on the "outside." http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Michael-W ... -I-1117021 (not worried about clicks as it is going to be on page 1 anyway. ROR is like Wikipedia as far as page rank).

This guy is an idiot. Fake review from a fake name that links right back to his name and phone number. Can't wait for this to play out in court.

NotNormal
Critic

Unread post by NotNormal » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:31 pm

Looks like Mr. Chinnock is back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Chinnock

Wondering if I should delete the article or add all the negative (20 plus) complaints from RipOffReport and his most recent scam dealing with BitCoins (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=669614.0).

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:45 pm

I wouldn't put it past someone who knows Fred, and maybe seen the contributions of CorporateM (T-C-L), to think that they might have a chance of doing the same thing. But CorporateM is not an admin, and I seriously doubt that Fred, even with a perhaps diminished reputation of late, is likely to damage it further in such a way.

And, yes, for all I know, it is possible that Amy might have at some time talked about wikipedia with Fred and come up with the bright idea that she could edit for pay from him, maybe even with some sort of encouragement from Fred. Maybe. But I wouldn't bet on that.

And, Mr. Chinnock, thank you for your contributions. I can all too easily believe that what you have said may well be very well founded in fact, and it takes guts to post comments critical of a family member on a site which can be seen by so many people.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:19 am

NotNormal wrote:Looks like Mr. Chinnock is back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Chinnock

Wondering if I should delete the article or add all the negative (20 plus) complaints from RipOffReport and his most recent scam dealing with BitCoins (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=669614.0).
Plus, he's an absolute shit Wikipedia editor. Hold it against him (although admittedly he won't care).

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:26 pm

thekohser wrote:

I've taken $20 against.
NotNormal wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to weigh in on what is really important here...........I didn't think the Eagles were still considered a professional team. I guess I can be proven wrong every now and then.
Could someone temporarily add an "s" to my user name please until 11 p.m. tonight?

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Eagles wrote:
thekohser wrote:

I've taken $20 against.
NotNormal wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to weigh in on what is really important here...........I didn't think the Eagles were still considered a professional team. I guess I can be proven wrong every now and then.
Could someone temporarily add an "s" to my user name please until 11 p.m. tonight?
Done. Don't go on a posting spree, please.
Also, remember your logon name is now 'Eagles' (sans quotes).

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

JapaneseForeigner
Regular

Unread post by JapaneseForeigner » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Thread necro ftl

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:58 am

Locking topic.
Any questions, PM me.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone